• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I know this is super selfish, but I can't help myself.

OT: Even if you were not taking the kid, don't forget you still need to pump milk. This prevents your body from thinking the kid is weaned and drying up the milk supply. Eat calcium tablets and other things your doctor suggests to replenish the nutrients put into the milk, or consume the milk yourself.

I kinda doubt that the kid will remember anything about WDW but he will better bond with family including grandma (your MIL) when you are all together.

MIL and sister in law can help hold your place for parades. Strength in numbers.

I hear you but at you are lucky you are happy with your in-laws. My MIL is deceased but she hated me (hates Italians) so she never would have done anything with my family. My FIL also doesn't care for Italians so he has very little to do with us and our kids. I find it so sad that my kids won't get to experience these things with that side of their family.

(yes, I have tried for 10 years to get these people to tolerate me and our kids to no avail).

Look at it that way, you can always go again with your family only but this time your kids get the experience of more family.

My dad goes with us every trip almost and my mom goes once a year or every other year and same with my brother. I do sometimes wish I had just my family but having the extra help is great. Once we got the kids down and the hubby and I took off for your own spectromagic parade time. It was great we had Grandpa that night. :hug:

I understand. I wanted to be "just us" with our family the first time DS saw the castle and all that too. I don't get along super great with my MIL but I can't imagine ever wanting her to go. LOL and yes, hubby asking in front of her wasn't cool. I guess all you can do is make the best of it... maybe she'll be nice enough to hang back a bit until you get pictures of the kids seeing the castle for the first time.... you know, let you have your moment.

Thanks everyone for the insight. I think the biggest problem is I had a vision of what the trip was going to be like and now that has changed. And most of the trip will still have the opportunity to be the way I pictured it.

It will be fun and we'll have some nice memories of the trip with them and with us. I don't know what I was so upset over, we're going back to Magic Kingdom two other days too! :rotfl: Maybe I'm just getting the jitters because the trip is so close.

Those visions :goodvibes I understand how you felt but I can see that you were just surprised. Ibet that your MIL is going to be a blessing for your family. It sounds like she has already decided that she wants you to enjoy Disney as a family and has included your SIL as company for her.

I'm glad everything's working out and you're all set to have a great time! It can be a little rough to go with the flow when plans change sometimes, but I'm glad it's all come to be viewed in a better light for you!
I wish we could get my MIL to go with us (I've got a good one like you do!) but she's very claustrophobic and will absolutely not ride on a plane. We'd drive if we were closer! We joke that we're going to slip her a valium one of these days so she'll fly down with us. She'd have so much fun if only we could get past the travelling part of taking a trip!

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Be generous...these people love your children almost as much as you do. Having them there won't diminish your experience...in fact, grandma might be willing to man the video camera to catch it on tape so you can enjoy it live and in person.

Then, when you want time to yourself, she and your other family will be there to watch the baby.

These people will be a blessing to your children as they are growing up. Open your heart and your lives to them...it can only make life richer for everyone involved!

First of all, you SHOULD have killed him for bringing up the question in front of his mom. That's just dumb. My wife woulda' smacked me right there on the spot! ;)

Having said that, be a Tigger, not an Eeyore. We have taken my mom on 2 of our trips for at least a portion of the time and it was nice being able to leave the kids with her so we could have some alone time.

You will be fine and have more than enough alone time.. i have to say that we go a lot and my MIL or SIL or both are always there and we have such a great time!!!!! I think it is very nice that you will be able to go to dinner with your hubby and think about the rides you will be able to ride without worrying about a child swap pass....

Little ones don't last very long in the parks, so it might be nice to have your in-laws around to provide a little babysitting so you and your husband can have a bit of time alone. Plan a nice dinner out and then go to the park that's open the latest. I love it when my in-laws come with us!

First, let me say that I do completely understand how you feel. Our first trip with just our boys (their first visit) was special, and even though others hinted at coming, we didn't invite them. So, I can see how you'd want that opportunity as well.

But. ;) Two things. One, if you were at first planning to leave your infant, then I don't understand why you would now want it to be just you, DH, and your kids. Not flaming, just not understanding. And secondly, I think DH DID invite your MIL. His offhanded comment of "I wish we had someone to come with us", really couldn't be taken any other way. Just thinking of my own beloved DH, I could imagine him phrasing it this way to get his mom to come, and to get out of hot water with you. ;)

Regardless, I hope that everything works out okay. If it's important to you that it's just you, DH, and your kids in the MK on the first day- do it! Just because MIL and SIL are there, doesn't mean that you guys can't still have the first day to yourself, or even just the first half of the day. Meet up for lunch or dinner instead.

I want to first tell you I know exactly how you feel.
There is a image one gets about a family trip to Disney World or any family vacation for that matter.
I for one am the expert planner. Everything is set in my mind and then on paper. The reservations are made, which days will be spent where, how many hours at the pool. I mean I plan everything. Its sickness really.lol:rotfl:
With that said, our last trip was overplanned. We usually go every 2 years but our trip 3 years ago was canceled due to illness.
Fast forward to last years trip. When I say we were looking forward to it, that would be a huge understatment. Everyone was involved in the planning a this trip couldn't come fast enough for anyone.
When my parents declared 2 weeks out that they wanted to join us, I was happy about the idea of this time for my children to spend with my folks but part of me felt like it was going to be an invasion somehow.
Then when I was told that my uncle, aunt, cousin and her 2 children were meeting us there on arrival day, to say I was freaking out doesn't even cut it.:scared1:
We already had all of ADR's, what if they couldn't get the same hotel?
How are they going to keep up with us? What will they do when we are at dinner? What if they don't get the same flights as us? How are we going to see and do everything with all these people just deciding at the last minute to join our families vacatioin?
After all my stressing out and being determined not to let anyone spoil our time in the end it all worked out fine. Not exactly as I had planned it mind you but it worked out.
I made sure we seen and did everything we plan too.
I even went so far as to leave my relative back at the hotel so we could stick to our original plan.
My uncle passed away 4 months after that trip.
He was my favorite uncle, always there for me as a kid, my god father, and just an awesome guy. I miss him dearly and not a day goes by that I don't wish I would have put my plans to the side and just relaxed and spent more time with him.
Just something to think about.
Disney is not going anywhere anytime soon. With any luck, hard work, and determination if you love it that much you will get to go back again & again with your children.
People on the other hand will not always be there.
Allow them to throw a rench in your plans if they should, go with the flow while they are with you, make the most out of it and then cover all the rest when they leave.
Your MIL is coming to help you and spend time with your little one's, she sounds like someone worth spending time with. I know how you are feeling about the special time with your own family but your kids are blessed to have not only their parents but their grandmother & aunt their too.
Relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy the magical place on earth with people who you love and love. In the end thats what DW is all about after all.:love:

Thanks everyone for the insight. I think the biggest problem is I had a vision of what the trip was going to be like and now that has changed. And most of the trip will still have the opportunity to be the way I pictured it.

It will be fun and we'll have some nice memories of the trip with them and with us. I don't know what I was so upset over, we're going back to Magic Kingdom two other days too! :rotfl: Maybe I'm just getting the jitters because the trip is so close.

I know exactly how you feel, I hate it when I spend so much time planning and then things suddenly change without me knowing! I think it'll be great though, and it'll be so nice to have a chance to go out just you and your husband one night!

I understand the thought that you had a vision and it is not going according to plan. But it sounds like you will have some time to yourself and that will be awesome. The good thing is you have a great relationship with your MIL and SIL and you will look back and see how great it was to have them there with you.
I am actually going on a trip with my MIL who decided to come at the last minute. However we don't have a loving relationship for many reasons. But I know that my kids will loving actually having Grandma to themselves for a little bit and they get to be with her in the Happy Place on Earh and that I am actually kinda excited about it. :goodvibes

I am sorry your vision isn't working out the way you want it to. But you never know it might be better than you ever thought. :yay:

I have not read all the replies, but did want to mention that I think there will be more positives than negatives about having MIL around to help. I have taken two different sons to WDW as infants, and must tell you that I spent MUCH of my time in the baby care centers while DH was off playing with the older boys. To have another person along who is willing to care for the baby while you go off and play is a HUGE blessing! My baby's never took a bottle (my choice) so I never even had the option of someone else helping. It would have been nice, looking back, to have had that option. I am glad your baby takes a bottle and you can make the most of having MIL there!! Have fun! I think you will have MORE special time with DD3 because MIL is there!

OP, I know exactly how you feel. My husband knows at this point that I'm all about setting expectations - I'm just not that good at adjusting my expectations at the last minute! Even though I know this about myself, it's still often hard to overcome the unsettling feeling of suddenly having to adjust your mental image of what you thought was going to happen. That being said, the good thing is you have a lot of time to get used to this new arrangement and envision this vacation in a new light. :thumbsup2

My suggestion for how you can make lemonade out of lemons with this situation is to ask your MIL and/or SIL to videotape or take photos of your nuclear family as you walk down Main Street and see the castle for the first time. You'll find that you and your husband alone can't capture the priceless image on film on your daughter's face while you're holding her or watching her face and you don't necessarily want the distraction of trying to take a picture instead of enjoying the moment. BUT having a photo or video of your family all enjoying the moment together is truly priceless! We recently visited Disneyland and it was just my DH, me, and my DD, and I really wish we had had someone there to capture the moment on video or film of us so that we could relive that happy moment!

Have a great time and as long as you stay positive (which you are doing great at!), you'll have a fantastic trip! :cloud9:

that is not silly at all, in fact i made our reservations about 2 weeks ago and the same day that i made them we went over to my SILs for dinner, and my FIL who is 68 and little SIL who is 8 and DHs SM was there...now let me tell you first off that DHs SM is a CRAZY person and little SIL is almost an exact replica ( and i am being NICE when describing them this way) so anyway SM says so whos going to disney this year and i got all excited and said we are just made arrangements today (thinking that she had talked to my older SIL about it) and then she says oh good cause i want FIL and little SIL to go with you guys.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? I was totally taken aback NO WAY! is what i wanted to yell absolutely NOT!!! this is our first family vacation EVER and i am NOT having tag a longs that are going to drive me crazy!!!! huh uh no way.

not sure if we will have to address this, but i am NOT ok with it, cause i would have to go into the bathroom with little SIL and basically baby sit her, and we live near cedar point in ohio and she freaked out on most of the BABY rides there, and there is no way i am going to ruin my vacation before it has started lol

and plus i have an almost 3 year old and 6 month old that we are taking and this i believe will be enough stress for me. I wouldn't mind if it was just FIL but little SIL would be way too much for me like i said mini SM lol

so no i don't think you being a bit bummed out would be that bad at all, however i do think that having someone to watch your little ones (FIL wouldn't do that I am sure--nor would i leave them with him lol) Oh and the reason SM "can't" go herself is she has a bunch of animals that she has to take care of that she doesnt need but she keeps getting cause she always has wanted a farm. SIGH she is going to be the DEATH of my FIL who is about 20 + years older than her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter