• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I know this is crazy, but does anyone worry about

GrammieMame

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
their kids falling overboard? Especially in the verandah rooms? I'm just thinking about rambunctious boys in the 9-13 age range who have check out privileges and love to climb anything in sight, not realizing the danger involved.

Well the locks to the Verandah's are tough to figure out, in fact my DW never did. This is tough, and yes I would be worried, but then again I don't have kids so perhaps some with them might offer some better advice

Yes. We were very hesitant to get a verandah for this very reason.

And, to help add to our nightmares, when we boarded, our verandah top lock did NOT work. Our stateroom attendant kept insisting that it did, but we were quite sure that it didn't. (There is a knob -- very high up -- that you can turn to lock the door, and then a handle down low.) We ended up having to go over his head, and maintenace fixed it for us fairly quickly.

I'm sure that we wouldn't have slept that first night if they hadn't fixed it, esp. since the kids sleep by the verandah.

Our kids were never able to figure out the lock once it was fixed.

My oldest DS would never climb something inappropriate, nor would my DD, but my second DS has always climbed everything he could see, in spite of falling off monkey bars and breaking an arm when he was 3; and leaping over a swing and having his foot get caught resulting in another broken arm at 8; and skateboarding without his wrist protectors and breaking an arm at 14. He's 17 now and I never took him on a cruise when he was younger, and I still wouldn't take him on one. Our first cruise is coming up and we're taking DD16 and a friend. DS17 will have just graduated high school and will be off doing his own thing so we don't have to worry about it. But if he was going on vacation with us, I would not have booked a Disney Cruise. You have to know your own kids and there are kids like my son who just don't see the dangers. (He broke a ceiling fan in our room at the Beach Club when he was 15 and old enough to know better than to be tossing stuff around, too.)

By the way, there's a new "sport" teen boys and young men engage in called "parkour," which started in France, and basically, you just run and climb over or jump off any obstacles that you encounter, including jumping off roofs of buildings. Needless to say, my DS17 does this, and it is dangerous, and I'm not happy about it, but I certainly wouldn't want him doing "parkour" off the Disney Wonder railings. Kids!!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

The lock on our verandah did not work. But I would not be worried about it. Explain to them first thing that messing around on the verandah is not acceptable. Death is involved (i.e. "you fall over, you die.") If they can be trusted to check themselves out of the clubs then you should be able to trust them to understand the importance of not screwing around on the verandah. Just my 2c

my son is almost 5 and doesnt usually climb, but we booked an inside room anyway. We have family with the verandas so we will visit. But yes I am worred about it, but Have pounded it into his head for weeks that he will get severely injured and could probably die if he falls off of the ship, especially since he cant swim, he keeps reminding me not to climb on the rails LOL.

Of all the reports of people going over board on the cruise ships, I don't recall any of them being children. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes I worry about it.. both of my boys are senible fellows but.. the teenage mind is very different and they do some goofy things with " a nothing bad is gonna happen to me mentality" .

I have been discussing the verandah with my son since the day we booked the cruise. He will be 6 when we finally board. He is usually a good listener so I do not worry so much. He has been on huge boats before and knows the dangers which is a huge advantage for me.

Good luck with your travels.

You most certainly are not alone here. Have cruised 3 times, and each and every time suffered nightmares early on. I am sure I will again, even though I know the chances are so remote, and our children are getting older and wiser....Just be vigilant, and all will be fine... :cloud9:

I dont know a mother out there that wouldnt be reallyscared of her child falling overboard :confused3 I think about it too. I just use as much caution as i possibly can i have to let it go. Or elst no more dcl. and that is not an option!!

GrammieMame said:
their kids falling overboard? Especially in the verandah rooms? I'm just thinking about rambunctious boys in the 9-13 age range who have check out privileges and love to climb anything in sight, not realizing the danger involved.

Yes, it was one thing I worried about and the main reason I opted for no verandah... the price increase for something we'd rarely use anyway PLUS add the worrying about the kids going overboard (we have 2 connecting rooms for family of 5... so they'd have a verandah of their own if we got staterooms with verandahs!). in my situation it would be a child old enough (12) to unlock it and perhaps not lock it back (not the best with remembering things or being responsible due to her disabilities) along with an 8yr old and 5yr old that just wouldn't THINK about the danger of climbing up to lean over and look out/down. that combination was too much for us... no verandah, atleast this cruise (which may be our only cruise).

It is also a concern of mine even with the oldest as far as sign in/out privileges... other concerns too ofcourse but I just couldn't say FOR SURE if I knew without a doubt that she would never lean over too far/etc. She is not exactly the most "careful" child or thinking about consequences of her actions ahead of time/etc. It is definitely something I'm thinking about.

DH will not book the cruise for the fact my DS 2 and 5 do not see danger! They love to climb and jump off anything!

So we joke if we decide to go we will just make them walk around in life vests!!

I was worried when we had a verandah on our last cruise with our 4 year old twins. I have a son who also likes to clime. However, it was kind of scary for me to look over the side and straight down, as it is very a long way down. My son did not even try it. Since the varandah is see through, there is really no need to climb it too see over the top. We actually did not spend to much time out on the verandah, it was just like a giant window to see out of. :sunny:

Worry = caution. I think worry is good...leads to a discussion with your children...set the rules...be a parent!

We told our kids they weren't allowed out onthe verandah unless mom or dad was there. They weren't even supposed to open the door without us beside them. They listened.

Now I would also tell you that my kids had more fun climbing on the bunk beds so perhaps the verandah was boring for them.

I think your worry is understandable and good. Ony you know your children....whether they will listen to your rules. Then you make the right decision for your children.

You don't need to have a verandah stateroom for kids to do stupid things....on one of our DCL cruises a few years ago a teenage boy, on a dare, jumped off Deck 4 into St. Thomas Harbor while the ship was docked. He was busted when he tried to get back onboard and was dripping wet and when his card was swiped it showed that he was onboard, not off....so the gig was up. The captain was notified and he was lectured by the captain about how dangerous that was....even while in port the ship sometimes have the propellers on for various tests and such.....the teen was then confined to his cabin unless he was accompanied by his parents.

I remember another post about a teen sliding down the back of the ship from Topsiders to one of the balconies below (the back of the ship is on a slant)....I couldn't imagine how dangerous that was.

Teens need to be aware of how dangerous things can be....

We were in a verandah last May...Ds was 9 and Dd was 13 (for 2 weeks). We had no problems at all! Ds is all boy and loves to "check things out". I think they were very intimidated by the distance to the water! They both LOVED looking for sea life (saw dolphins) and other ships. Based on other post, we are a bit unusual...we really enjoyed our verandah and spent a good amount of time on it. Every afternoon the kids took a shower and went straight to the Verandah...they played gameboys, talked about what they did during the day, what they wanted to do...dinners were so hectic we could not have these "talks". That is the space we found to "connect".

I can't wait to do it all again this May!

I would miss the verandah. I've cruised without one, but since I've had one it would be hard to go back. I like the Navigator's Verandah, more enclosed. Assuming, I can get one once the May 2007 schedule opens, our door will be locked at all times that we are not on the verandah since DS will be just shy of 3 and climbs on everything. I agree with the poster that stated worry = caution. Caution = watch the little ones like a hawk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter