I know it's a matter of opinion...

goodferry

DIS Veteran
but I would like yours. We are traveling in June to WDW. There are six of us, two adults four children (one is under 1). We have decided we want to stay in a deluxe resort in one room. Last trip we stayed in CBR and it was OK, but not great. I think I am going to go for Concierge because I know my family and I know it is the sort of thing they will enjoy. I thought I wanted to book at the Poly, but I got my trip planning package from Disney with the DVD and they all look fantastic. My kids are big into pools and I think we will spend the most of our time at MK and AK, which resort would you pick???

I would definitely go with Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's my favorite resort on property by far!! :teeth:

It's not very close to MK but it's only a minute or two away from AK. Plus, if you're staying on the concierge level, you'll have access to to the special Sunrise and Sunset safaris at AK.

And if you have a savanna view, your room becomes an attraction all to itself!!

The pool area is very nice too. :D

First, I'd look at where we'd be spending most of our time.

If MK, then I'd stay at CR. The rooms are large & there is a daybed. The bathroom has a very nice set up. The toilet is in a seperate room w/ a mirror (so you can blow dry here). The actual bath has a tub/shower plus 2 sinks.

If you're "Epcot" people then I'd probably look at BC or YC. They are closer & have the wonderful pool area.

RE, AKL, can you fit 6 people? The designer is the same as WL and there is no way you could fit 6 in a WL room.

In my opinion, if you have 6 people in 1 room, you need a BIG room. The rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge are tiny, you would feel very cramped.

If it were me, my first pick would be the Contemporary, largest rooms on property and easy access to Magic Kingdom. Second pick would be Poly, large rooms as well.

Have you looked into the villas at Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Old Key West? If you are not members, you can rent points from other members. There's a link on this main board, under Rent/Trade DVC points. We have rented points 3 times and have had great experiences all 3 times. If you need lots of room, but want to be in 1 room, I'd highly recommend renting points at one of the villas.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info on renting points or general info on villas.

Krista princess:

The AKL does have rooms that are nearly Contemporary/Polyneisan size (very close to 400 sq ft). And they cost about the same as Contemporary/Polynesian rooms.

I believe they are called 'deluxe rooms'. All concierge rooms are 'deluxe rooms. There are Pool view and Savannah view concierge rooms.

If you think you'll spend more time at the MK than AK a Monorail resort makes more sense, more time at AK - AKL makes more sense. If the time is equal - it's a toss-up.

The Polynesian has one advantage - you can walk over to the TTC and catch the Monorail to Epcot. From AKL it'll be a bus.

You can't miss by going Polynesian or Animal Kingdom Lodge, they both have fantastic CMs and special touches.

At the Polynesian you have the nightly Electric Water Parade, you can watch the MK fireworks from the beach, rent Water Mice, etc etc. At AKL you have the Critters!

We've stayed at both a couple of times and I am NEVER able to answer the 'which is better' question...

Have Fun!

Although the Wilderness Lodge is my favorite, I would have to vote for the Polynesian. The rooms are a good size and most have 2 queen beds and a day bed. I found mine had plenty of room and I think there would be room for a crib as well. Also, being on the monorail would be a huge plus.

We loved the amount of room that we had in our tower room at the Contemporary but with regards to the pool...the children were not impressed. It is probably the least "themed" of all the deluxe pools. They spent very little time there and my children are normally very enthusiastic about the pools.

I'd say go for the Poly. Great pool, excellent concierge staff, easy access to MK and EPCOT via monorails. You would need to take a bus or drive yourself to any location from the AK.

Not sure how long you are staying, but you are always able to split your stay. We will be doing that in October. We will stay the first part at AKL concierge so we can get the Sunrise Safari, and the last half at Poly so we can go to Mickeys Halloween party and the Luau (sp) The only other delux we stayed at was GF. We were two adults with two kids, one under 1. The 4 yr old was comfortable on the day bed, we had room for a crib for 1 yr old (ask for the metal ones, they sit high up off the ground and are much airier). We had plenty of room. I imagine it would be similar at the other Deluxes.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Polynesian!:teeth: It's a great resort. I stayed there as a kid and loved it!

I was so sure I wanted the Poly this time and then saw AKL on the travel channel and got our planning DVD... Anyway, we are staying 5 days, is it a pain changing resorts? We are not planing on renting a car this trip only because we never used it last trip, just to get back and forth to the airport.

If your kids are really into the pools try either the Yacht Club or Beach Club for SAB! It is definitely THE best pool on property.....or better yet, why not try for a 1 or 2 bedroom and BCV?

Hey, goodferry!!

We love the Poly and AKL - they are completely different but both very beautiful. We have stayed at the Poly with 5 people - DH, DS(14), DS(12), DD(10) and me. There was plenty of room for us - but we don't mind being together!!!:laughing: The volcano pool was a real hit w/the kids, and the monorail access to MK was fabulous - if you have small children, that is probably where you will spend the most time.

At AKL it has only been DD(now 14) and me, and we have stayed in std. sized rooms, but I think the deluxe rooms here would also have about the same amount of room. AKL also has a nice pool, where you can spot some of the animals. AKL is a very exotic and unique resort, it's hard to beat IMO. There are tons of activities for children - cookie decorating, junior ranger, games w/savannah guides, etc. :teeth:

Either one of these resorts would be my pick - you can't miss!!:wave:

My vote would be for the Poly! I have stayed at both resorts and LOVE them both. I just think that with the amount of people in your party the Poly would be more comfortable. There is definitely enough room for a crib and most of the rooms have a daybed which you would automatically get. The pool is great, you can get to MK and Epcot by the monorail, the electric water parade is always great to watch from the beach, the beach!, O'Hana's has a character breakfast which is wonderful and the Luau is suppose to be fun. Just an all around great resort. Chef Mickey's is just a short monorail ride away also!

Enjoy!
Kim

I would also vote for the Poly. We've stayed concierge at WL, AKL, and the Poly and stayed in a regular tower room at CR. All had nice concierge with lots of good food, but Poly was the best, IMO. The Poly location is great, on the monorail and walking distance from the TTC. They have a nice pool and big rooms. We stayed there when our 4th child was under 2 and with 6 people in the room we got good use out of the concierge lounge.

The WL was nice, but I'm not sure which rooms are in the concierge area (we only had one of our kids with us) and it's not on the monorail.

AKL was a neat experience, but the rooms were very dark. Also, you have to bus everywhere.

CR has nice big rooms and is within walking distance to MK, but not to the TTC to hop on the Epcot monorail. I'm not crazy about the theming of CR, even though I like contemporary type things usually.

We've split our stay, which isn't too hard, but 5 days is the minimum that I'd want to stay if I were going to split my stay.

T&B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter