• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just won a FREE Trip! Need to pick a moderate.

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
A normal person would be thrilled finding out today they won an all expenses paid trip to Disney 6 nights, dining plan, park hoppers, etc. BUT the choice to stay must be a moderate. Let me say though I am going in June and we are planning to stay YC CL as we did last year. UNFORTUNATELY my free trip doesn't offer the dates I need in June so I plan to keep my June trip and either take ANOTHER trip to Disney in August (free one) or go in May (other free month choice ) with my best friend. DD12 and DH will go with me in June....
SOOOO - which moderate? We will be using ME this trip, no rental car....Try as I might the dates they are offering are not that exciting for me so I don't view this as a free family trip, wish I could...More of a bonus trip for me!

A normal person would be thrilled finding out today they won an all expenses paid trip to Disney from Triple A. 6 nights, dining plan, park hoppers, etc. BUT the choice to stay must be a moderate. Let me say though I am going in June and we are planning to stay YC CL as we did last year. UNFORTUNATELY my free trip doesn't offer the dates I need in June so I plan to keep my June trip and either take ANOTHER trip to Disney in August (free one) or go in May (other free month choice ) with my best friend. DD12 and DH will go with me in June....
SOOOO - which moderate? We will be using ME this trip, no rental car....Try as I might the dates they are offering are not that exciting for me so I don't view this as a free family trip, wish I could...More of a bonus trip for me!
I'd go with POFQ because:
rooms are being refurbed
you can use the POR and POFQ pools
beignets!!!!!
Good food court options
the boat to downtown disney
no room is too far as the resort is compact
When I think of best friend trips I think of N'Orleans dahling

Really the boat to DTD would be the seal the deal for me and the compact resort.
No matter what you choose it will be lots of fun.
If I had to pick a second resort I'd pick CSR the rooms are real nice, you get queen size beds and the pool area looks so pretty with the Mayan temple.

Looking at moderates and I don't know what all you're allowed to chose, but the cabins are considered a moderate. I absolutely love Fort Wilderness and since you're used to staying Deluxe I think you would be happy there. I wish I was at least 1/2 as lucky! Congrats!

A normal person would be thrilled finding out today they won an all expenses paid trip to Disney from Triple A. 6 nights, dining plan, park hoppers, etc. BUT the choice to stay must be a moderate. Let me say though I am going in June and we are planning to stay YC CL as we did last year. UNFORTUNATELY my free trip doesn't offer the dates I need in June so I plan to keep my June trip and either take ANOTHER trip to Disney in August (free one) or go in May (other free month choice ) with my best friend. DD12 and DH will go with me in June....

so you have a paid trip at your choice....and a FREE trip later?
and you disapointed you free one isn't better? or at a more convienant time for you?
Gee I'm sorry you sound very ungratful.

I say if your so unthrilled with it, decline accepting the prize and let someone who is more appreciative get it.
Still won't cost you anything, and then you won't have the hassle at settling for a "moderate"

I had knee surgery in September and spent the last 2 summers rope dropping at Disney and pounding out parks like crazy. I am afraid I can't physically do that this summer. So yes part of me is a little disappointed that my free trip is more of a "pound out the parks kind of trip - stay at moderate park hoppers etc". I WISH my free trip was the kind I am planning in June - relaxing pool side, epcot for one day, etc. etc. I am of course thrilled for a free trip but I wish it were either a better time of year to go or a vacation that is more my speed this time around. But I think I can make it more my speed by inviting my BFF along and we simply do dinners nightly, Epcot, etc. She won't expect a park pounding daily - whereas DD would...

Have stayed at all the Mods and I would choose POFQ. Small resort, very pretty. The boat to DTD is a plus. May is an awesome time to go, especially with a friend. F&G Festival is great.

I doubt they would let you choose cabins-we had a couple of free nights at a mod, and the cabins were specifically excluded.

Congratulations-sorry that you are disappointed with your prize. It is what you make of it. Seven days shouldn't require park pounding and you don't have to use the hopper feature.

And also I need airfare to get there. THAT is not included....AND it is taxable to me, Uncle Sam doesn't give you anythign for free really..SOOOOO I guess I am a little wishful on how my free trip should go...I wish so badly I could gift this trip to DH's secretary but it is non transferable...Already tried that route...

Thanks for the replies! I think I will certainly pick POR or POFQ. Is one better than the other in terms of size or refurbishment etc? to me a prize is "you won, pick your dates". Timing is just hard with surgery recovery, school for DD, etc.

And also I need airfare to get there. THAT is not included....AND it is taxable to me, Uncle Sam doesn't give you anythign for free really..SOOOOO I guess I am a little wishful on how my free trip should go...I wish so badly I could gift this trip to DH's secretary but it is non transferable...Already tried that route...

Can you just tell AAA "Thanks, but no thanks?" I am not trying to be a:snooty: but it sounds like you would just rather not go.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will certainly pick POR or POFQ. Is one better than the other in terms of size or refurbishment etc? to me a prize is "you won, pick your dates". Timing is just hard with surgery recovery, school for DD, etc.

POFQ

Especially with the knee issue. Small resort, with one bus stop. POFQ always feels more "adult" to me, but the kiddos always love it too!

I would agree with POFQ.

But I Have to say, if you are not going to enjoy the trip...why go? Can't you just not accept the trip? You're attitude bothers me. Anyone in your position should be very very grateful.

The trip is what you make it. A 6 day trip can be very relaxing. Especially since it sounds like you have been there MANY times.

Because of medical bills, it looks like we will not be able to make our december trip in 2012 ( we were not planning on going back until then). We live an hour from DL and we can't even manage THAT right now. We are not looking at going back now probably until 2013 or 2014 and even then, unless something major changes financially it will be 5 nights at a value resort so I would look around you and rethink your attitude.

Please consider contacting a charitable agency to find a family who has never been to WDW and will most likely never get to go. You could actually make a child's dream come true if you donated the trip to them.

My first visit was as adult. I know that I would've cried many many tears of joy if our family had been able to go while I was a child. And you have the power to make that happen.

You will get way more joy out of blessing someone else than you will forcing yourself to go under the current conditions. Please consider it. You would be a hero in my eyes if you did. And we know this world could use more heroes.

Please consider contacting a charitable agency to find a family who has never been to WDW and will most likely never get to go. You could actually make a child's dream come true if you donated the trip to them.

My first visit was as adult. I know that I would've cried many many tears of joy if our family had been able to go while I was a child. And you have the power to make that happen.

You will get way more joy out of blessing someone else than you will forcing yourself to go under the current conditions. Please consider it. You would be a hero in my eyes if you did. And we know this world could use more heroes.

The OP has tried to transfer it to someone but AAA wouldn't let them.

Let me say that I have won many trips and the price of paying taxes on these winnings is more than reasonable...... Paying for your own airfare and getting all that you will be receiving is more than anybody can ask for! I can't believe that you would decline this FREE trip and to have it be with your friend is definitely one of those priceless moments you see on tv. I'll be happy to take that trip for you ...... :flower3:

We have been going to WDW every year since 1997, and stayed at all of the moderate resorts. Two things: Even if there is some referb work going on at a given resort it won't have a big negative impact. All of the resorts are awesome. Two: It's a free trip. Disney could put me in one of the All-Star resorts and I'd be doing backflips.

Don't sweat it just have a great time!! :cool1::thumbsup2

Well maybe I am doing the taxes wrong however to me it is coming out with a formula provided to me by my dad who is an accounting guru. Roughly is going to be 1450 in taxes alone plus airfare. Mind you if I had NO TRIP PLANNED in JUNE I would be jumping up and down. I DO Have a June trip planned so 1450 plus airfare is simply giving me pause to say "is this really worth it?". I don't doubt the entire trip is worth far more than 1450 - question is it worth that me considering I will have just been there the month before. Has nothing to do with being ungrateful just simply the "opportunity cost" that it presents to me. I would LOVE to donate the trip to a worthy family - tried that. I swear these contests make it so restrictive they hope you CANNOT make it.

I am really trying to go with a BF right now but her work schedule is tight (again timeline they give to take the vacation is really limiting - she is a teacher....can't use it all summer until the very end). Going with a BF is something I personally wouldn't spend the money on or would feel guilty going and leaving my family behind, etc. - but not this year since we will have just been there!

If it all works out, POFQ for sure. thanks everyone.

Well maybe I am doing the taxes wrong however to me it is coming out with a formula provided to me by my dad who is an accounting guru. Roughly is going to be 1450 in taxes alone plus airfare. Mind you if I had NO TRIP PLANNED in JUNE I would be jumping up and down. I DO Have a June trip planned so 1450 plus airfare is simply giving me pause to say "is this really worth it?". I don't doubt the entire trip is worth far more than 1450 - question is it worth that me considering I will have just been there the month before. Has nothing to do with being ungrateful just simply the "opportunity cost" that it presents to me. I would LOVE to donate the trip to a worthy family - tried that. I swear these contests make it so restrictive they hope you CANNOT make it.

I am really trying to go with a BF right now but her work schedule is tight (again timeline they give to take the vacation is really limiting - she is a teacher....can't use it all summer until the very end). Going with a BF is something I personally wouldn't spend the money on or would feel guilty going and leaving my family behind, etc. - but not this year since we will have just been there!

If it all works out, POFQ for sure. thanks everyone.

Those taxes are really high... They don't sound even close to right. With 6% sales tax on an 8000.00 trip it would be about 480.00 in tax.

Hope you can have a better outlook on a free trip though. Or just don't go, you don't sound very thrilled by the offer, so why bother?

POFQ really appeals to me, though I've never stayed there. If I were to stay Moderate, that would be my first choice.

On gosh the taxes...no not 6% .. if only. there is a formula you follow but basically you can figure out about 32% taxable. So if pkg is valued at 4K I would be required ot pay 32% taxes on this 4k...Little over 1200 plus airfare, etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter