• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Just watched some ride video of Horizons, World of Motion, the Original JII

Honestly, what was the last truly great Disney animated feature? Lion King?

I'd say "Lilo & Stitch" -- but that's just me.

New Disney attractions that are geared towards families and marketed to draw in crowds are always going to play on pre-established Disney characters and themes that have proved to be successful and have all ready found a place in the publics fickle minds and hearts. It just so happens to be that Pixar films have been the only really great, well recieved Disney films of the past decade, so it's no surprise to see them popping up more and more.

One minor correction: They're not Disney films any more than "Star Wars" was a 20th Century Fox film. They're Pixar films; Disney was the distributor.

Granted, we own them now... but no, Disney did NOT create those films any more than they created "Star Wars", "Alien", or even "The Wizard of Oz."

However, all of these rides employ some pretty sleek, cutting edge technology, and that shows me that Lasseter is not in the business of making "bad" or even "standard" rides. I see WDI moving in a direction of making only great rides from here on out (which means no more flops, like stitch's Great Escape).

I take it you haven't experienced the "Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor" yet.

I also believe that Lasseter has the good since to keep Epcot's vision alive in the parks central icon, SSE, rather than turn it into another cheap Pixar commercial.

I also am hoping that we will see a revitilization of Epcot soon. Once Universe of Energy gets a new sponser, I am certain it will get a much needed update, and I have heard from sources here and there that Journey into Imagination is due another update, finally bringing Dreamfinder back into the story. So, I think there is a lot to be excited about on Epcot's horizon.

Pardon my cynicism here, but I'm looking at the rather lackluster "Gran Fiesta Tour". As Kevin Yee wrote on MiceAge:

The primary (problem with "Gran Fiesta Tour") is a familiar argument by now: Epcot is continuing to drift further from its mission of "edutainment" and drift further toward homogenized Disney escapism via cartoon characters. I can see that complaint immediately. El Rio Del Tiempo was a part of the unique vision of World Showcase: we are one big planet but we have regional differences, and isn't it wonderful to celebrate them? Gran Fiesta Tour not only eschews dwelling on those cultural differences, it actively turns our attention away from them. Don't look over here, the ride seems to be saying by constantly giving us a cartoon character moving rapidly across the screen, but look at THIS instead.

Me, I'm not a big fan of removing sets and replacing them with video screens playing loops -- as can now be seen at both "The Seas with Nemo and Friends" and "Gran Fiesta Tour".

We're almost at a year out from our last wdw trip and are planning our next. I'm still struck by how much I miss the old EPCOT Center. My wife is new to wdw and has only been since 2005 and EPCOT is still her favorite park. Like me she is a shameless pbs/npr watching, long time college student and education junkie, so the park must still be staying somewhat true to itself. I just lament that she'll never know the joy of blasting from one underwater habitat to the next at the end of Horizons...:sad1:

Just went to WDW last week after a 12 year haitus-:confused:

Epcot has always been my favorite park and continued to be this time around, but the only thing I was disappointed with was I missed the Horizons and Wonders of Life pavilions. I loved both of them as a child.

I was shocked especially as to why they might get rid of Horizons. To me, it was the pinnacle of Future World and with Epcot being so big on futuristic and latest in technology, I figured this would be a great one for WDW to keep updated.

Why did Horizons close anyways? I actually would have preferred it to Mission Space!

I think MS and TT are great rides...the first time you ride them.

After the first ride, there's nothing different. The script is the same each time you ride.

OTOH, WOM and Horizons offered a wide variety of things to look at...Horizons even offered different endings. You could ride them time and again...something new would always pop up.

What is OTOH?

I miss the original Figment . At least this one has Figment in it a lot more than the first redo. When Kodak sponsored the original Figment Disney signed a contract that the ride would be redone before the year 2000.
For those of you never got to experience the original Figment or if you would like to relive it this is a great website.

http://figmentsimagination.com/

Here is an except from that website that explains why the Original Figment ride was Changed:

"It has been confirmed by a Disney source that the original Journey Into Imagination was closed due to a contract agreement between Kodak and Disney. The contract stated that JII was to be changed by the year 2000. The original JII, due to large amounts of projectors, sets, lighting and animatronics, was VERY expensive to maintain each year. JII was the most advanced attraction of its kind in the US when it opened in 1983.
Even when it closed, the technology involved with producing the show was ahead of other theme park attractions. Many Imagineers were not at all happy about making the changes because they had fear that the new attraction would fail. Armed with a budget far less than they had to build the original JII, the replacement opened and the fans were not happy. WDI realized that mistakes were made but at this point, there is no physical way to return the attraction to its original state because of the way the building has been altered and the money that would be needed to do it is not there. The current budget to redo JIYI is still not enough to restore the magic we all miss. But we will be able to see Figment again! "

This excerpt is from this site:

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id37.htm

The chances of Figment making a full return looked bleak. Disney sold part of the ride props on eBay and used one of Dreamfinder's flying machines as a prop in the Mouse Gear store. Then the ride closed in the winter of 2002 for renovation and reopened in June of 2002 as Journey Into Imagination with Figment. While Eric Idle and the Imagination Institute are still featured, Figment has been added to every scene and a new version of One Little Spark is sung. Dreamfinder is still MIA but one of the lab office doors is now labeled as belonging to "Dean Finder".

I hate to sound too nostalgic, but I'm with those who miss the education emphasis at Epcot Center. EC was my favorite place in the world until recently. I still like it, but I don't feel the sense of wonder that I once did--things are just too "animated" and thrill-oriented. Don't get me wrong, I like "thrills" (Expedition Everest, for example), but the demise of favorite attractions such as Horizons and The Living Seas (complete with cool movie) just makes me sad. I know lots of little kids know love these areas, but my impression is that they love them because "Nemo" is there and not because they find the sea particularly fascinating on its own.

Oh well, enough grumbling.:angel:

Fortunately, I got on all those old rides and attractions (Horizons, World of Motion, etc) when they were there. Sadly, nobody now will ever realize what fine rides they were.

What is OTOH?
On The Other Hand... as in "The ride was great! OTOH, the line was very long."

Fortunately, I got on all those old rides and attractions (Horizons, World of Moyion, etc) when they were there. Sadly, nobody now will ever realize what fine rides they were.
A lot of those rides were designed by some of the Old School Imagineers, some of whom even came out of retirement to work on them (like Marc Davis and X Attencio).

Horizons was the BEST attraction. I was a teenager in the 80's and my friends and I would go on one ride after another. It was great. :thumbsup2

The original JII was great as well.

We'll always miss them!! :sad1:

I have fond memories of Horizons and the old Imaginations pavilion too! But I must admit that the attraction change that has bothered me most over the years is the change to the Tiki room show. They took something unique and delightful and turned it into a fuss and a fight. Crazy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter