I just want bacon -- Not Kobe Bacon!

CowboyCO

DIS Veteran
Is anyone else shocked at the price of bacon these days? I used to be able to pick up a lb on sale regularly for $2.00-2.50. Now, at Safeway the regular prices are $5-$7 a lb and sale price is $4.50+.

I used to buy a great 3lb pack regularly for $7.77 and now it's $11.99.

C'mon pork belly gods, it's not Kobe Bacon!

I just noticed that last time I was at the grocery store......even the store brand was $4.99. Is there a pork shortage going on????

There was an article about this a couple of months ago that bacon was going to go up because of the cost of pork belly futures going up. Blame it on the love of bacon trend. People can't keep bacon in stock.

Next to go up will be jeans and t-shirts. Record bad weather in a couple of high cotton producing companies means a shortage of cotton.

I saw that too. Plus onions are crazy expensive all of a sudden. Weird but true.

Sigh. I've noticed it too. Sale price used to be 2pks/$4 or 2Pkg/$5. Now its more like 2 pks/$7:scared1: I'm not buying much bacon these days. Usually I only get it at BJs. Or I get turkey bacon.

I've been noticing it for awhile here in Canada. I don't recall specific prices, but I do know one day about 6 months ago I decided I wasn't buying it anymore because ithe sale price was actually higher than I used to pay for regular price. I don't know why it went up so much around here but we've had it off the list for months. Our waistlines are happier at least:rolleyes1

Wow, that is sooo funny you posted this. I had this almost same discussion in my head yesterday lol. I used to only buy center cut Oscar Myer when I could get it at 3.00 for i think it is 12 ozs, I would stock up freezer. Haven't found that price in almost a year maybe more.

I started buying John Morrill , or is it Jim not sure . found it onsale for 2.50 for 12 ozs, we liked it so this is now what I buy. It has slowly gone up over the last 6 months. Bought it yesterday and it was 3.18 a pack UGHHH.

Thank the ethanol crazies and lobbiests in Washington. Corn has gone up in price so much becase so much of it is going into ethanol production that the farmers have to pay a lot more for feed for their pigs and cattle, etc. hence the sharp rise in prices at the grocery store for those of us who just want a nice fatback.

Is anyone else shocked at the price of bacon these days? I used to be able to pick up a lb on sale regularly for $2.00-2.50. Now, at Safeway the regular prices are $5-$7 a lb and sale price is $4.50+.

I used to buy a great 3lb pack regularly for $7.77 and now it's $11.99.

C'mon pork belly gods, it's not Kobe Bacon!

I'm LOL because we do raise and sell Kobe bacon (Berkshire pork) from our farm and even we only charge $4.00 a lb. for bacon. Maybe I should raise our prices? We almost always sell out of bacon first. :rotfl2:

-Astrid

We just bought a pig with two other families. We paid $1.70 a pound and each family received 75 pounds of meat. It included 9 lbs of bacon and 11 lbs of sausage and numerous pounds of pork chops, ham, etc....

It has worked out great and has been much cheaper for us. We have also done this with a cow.

This way we pay low prices and always have something in the freezer.

We love turkey bacon too. Taste the same & better for you. Much less fat. And always less money. :thumbsup2

Under no circumstances is that a true statement, turkey bacon has not and will not ever, ever, ever taste like real bacon.:rotfl2:

To say so is close to blasphemy.

Under no circumstances is that a true statement, turkey bacon has not and will not ever, ever, ever taste like real bacon.:rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 My thoughts exactly. It's like comparing an apple and a pizza.

I stock up at 2/5....
Last summer i really stocked up when the .75 oscar mayer coupon came out and my supermarket had it on sale for 1.99 a package...

I am finally down to 2 packs :(

We love turkey bacon too. Taste the same & better for you. Much less fat. And always less money. :thumbsup2

We used to do turkey as a alternative to reg bacon believing that it was the healthier choice but recent studies have shown that the amount of sodium used to make it taste similiar to real bacon subtract significantly from it health advantages.

As for the price of bacon going up..Sad but true :( We buy bacon at Costco tho and it is 4 lbs for 9.99 for regular bacon (good bacon tho!) and we get the Colemans all natural nitrate free bacon for 3lbs for 10.99. not great but not as terrible as thin store brand fall apart bacon for 3.99 a lb....grrrr

Sorry, but BLEHHHHHH lol ; ). I will go without and do . I could eat turkey bacon every day , but want the real stuff so keep it once a week so I can indulge .

Truer words have never been spoken.

I brought up the price of bacon at work the other day and no one had noticed. I used to stock up when it went on sale 2 for $5 but now its $6.69 a lb. at Stop and Shop, average grocery store for those who don't have S & S.

:thumbsup2 Amen to that sista:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter