• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just suffered through a book....

AC7179

Registered
Do you ever finish a book out of obligation rather than enjoyment?

The book started out okay, didn't love it but didn't hate it, but around midway through I realized it wasn't my cup of tea. I pushed through it out of obligation because I wanted to see it through.

The author, from 1/2 way through the book to another hundred and fifty pages, continues the plot. Then, she says the last 150 pages have been a lie and they're what she WISHES had happened, but here's what REALLY happened.

I am unamused. Really, the level of my rage was ridiculous. ;)

I still regret the amount of time I sunk into John Quincy Adams a few years ago. I usually enjoy biographies of historical figures, but omg, what a miserable man. drove me nuts...but I wouldn't let it go, had to muddle thru. I think it was after that that I finally let myself throw in the towel with books I am not enjoying.

Nope. If it doesn't grab me in the first 30 pages or so, I take it back to the library unread. I'm not recommending this approach as I'm sure I've quit on books that might have gotten interesting, but there are too many other books and I don't have enough time to read things I'm not enjoying.

Hunger Games 3: Mockingbird ;) I finished it just for the sake of completing the trilogy. Didn't enjoy it at all...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. Took me an entire school year to read all 3 books. I was determined to read them all, but UGH....I struggled!

The Strain trilogy

Enders game trilogy. ( rest after original book)

2061 and 3001 the final odyssey, some neat ideas that fall flat,

I find it hard to finish books if they don't grab me.
I finished the Hunger Games triology in 2 weeks. Also, I couldn't put down 'One Day' by David Nicholls.
However, on my bookshelf I currently have 'Starter for 10', 'My sisters keeper' and 'An offer you can't refuse', all half read! I am desperate for another enthralling read.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Dracula, which I got through most of, but couldn't power through the last few chapters. It was boring.

Wicked

I hated that book. I'm not a fan of wizard of oz but thought I'd give it a shot.

This is the only book I can recall putting down half way through. I am a huge Wizard of Oz fan and was really looking forward to reading this but YUCK. I refuse to watch the 'new' Wizard of Oz movie that came out a while ago. Some things you just don't mess with.

Son of a Witch (sequel to Wicked) I think it took me like a year and a half to read. One of the worst books I have ever read.
Jane Eyre (Ok I still haven't finished yet. I have been trying to read this book since high school)
The House of the Seven Gables (This book sucks!)

I just give up on The Nanny Diaries. Couldn't get into the book at all. I think I got past chapter three and that was it. Much prefer the movie then the book. It just seems to drag on when reading it.

Wuthering Heights. My mom said it was the same for her.

I've been trying to get through David Copperfield for quite a while now, but just can't get myself to read more than a few pages at a time. I've read a lot of other Dickens and not had this problem, don't know what it is about this one.

I've taken a break from that and am steamrolling through the A Song of Ice and Fire set.

I am constitutionally unable to put down a book mid-way through so I've slogged through more than one bad read. The whole of the Twilight saga comes to mind... I have no idea what possessed me to decide I had to read it all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter