I just learned today...

Lord Manhammer

DIS Veteran
...that you cannot enter France (or the Netherlands for that matter) with an Emergency US Passport. They will put you in a holding cell at the airport and then you're on the next flight back to the USA.

(found out from a former student who learned it the hard way)

...that you cannot enter France (or the Netherlands for that matter) with an Emergency US Passport. They will put you in a holding cell at the airport and then you're on the next flight back to the USA.

(found out from a former student who learned it the hard way)
Any other parts of Europe?

I honestly don't know. What my student didn't do is research if they could've even entered the country with this type of Passport. It's clearly stated on the US Embassy in France website.
I'm curious, what do you teach? European history? I'm surprised your student didn't consult the state department's website. In college, we were told to always consult it when studying or vacationing abroad. It's a shame some people have to learn things the hard way.

I'm curious, what do you teach? European history? I'm surprised your student didn't consult the state department's website. In college, we were told to always consult it when studying or vacationing abroad. It's a shame some people have to learn things the hard way.
I'm an Associate Professor of New Media which includes Mobile Media Studies, Internet Studies, and Social Media at the college level. I do, however, have a passionate love for European History and thus spend lots of time there (some of it for work).

I was honestly shocked that this happened to her as she is a very experienced international traveler. I am active with the study abroad office on my campus and ALWAYS tell my students to check the state department. It's an unfortunate situation but as I told her, at least she was simply deported and put on a plane and wasn't jailed for trying to enter illegally.

I'm surprised that they let the student on the flight. When your papers aren't in order, the airline can get fined.

If it is for France and the Netherlands, most likely it is the case for the whole Schengen area as it is considered one border.

It is the same for us. We cannot travel to the US on an emergency passport because it is chipless.

France has had recent upheaval & the US just revamped to Real ID licenses for domestic travel because the entire process was so leaky it was useless. Makes sense that another country might view a fast track verification with skepticism.

What was the students reason for the Emergency? If the student is a seasoned traveler why wasn't the passport in order? Seems a peculiar combination

the US just revamped to Real ID licenses for domestic travel because the entire process was so leaky it was useless.
Isn't Real ID only required for flying (in regards to travel)? You can drive, walk, bike, take a train, bus, taxi, and all the other ways to travel domestically without a Real ID.
What process was "leaky"?
The Real ID act was signed in 2005 with an original "go live" date in 2008. The deadline is now May 2025... still over a year and a half away.

Isn't Real ID only required for flying (in regards to travel)? You can drive, walk, bike, take a train, bus, taxi, and all the other ways to travel domestically without a Real ID.
What process was "leaky"?
The Real ID act was signed in 2005 with an original "go live" date in 2008. The deadline is now May 2025... still over a year and a half away.
I didn't realize that the process went back that far... I just got my REAL ID this year when I moved to another state... NJ (my former state) just started doing them in the last 2 years so I wouldn't have gotten mine til next year when my license expired.

Tell me it is a government operation without telling me it is a government operation... CRAZY!!

I just learned today - there is something called an emergency US passport! Never heard of it.
They are almost exclusively used by US Embassies abroad to furnish a US citizen with a way to get back to the US legally (in the case of loss/theft/damage). I think they have a one year life before expiry. As the link above explains, they are also available in the event of a dire need to travel.

I have always believed that everyone should be required to have a passport when they are born, so it will be easier for those kids to be able to have less travel issues in the future.
I got my kid one when he was born and have renewed it regularly since. I couldn't agree more with you. It used to be that a rather small percentage of Americans carried passports but I think the number is somewhere near 65% now which is encouraging.

We didn't get that far in the brief conversation but I cannot fathom why she didn't have things in order.
Maybe the school should make a general statement about issues when going abroad occur and how to prevent it in the future for other students going abroad?

I got my kid one when he was born and have renewed it regularly since. I couldn't agree more with you. It used to be that a rather small percentage of Americans carried passports but I think the number is somewhere near 65% now which is encouraging.
Partly because you need them (unless you have another form of acceptable id) to fly domestically now.

This says 56%: https://www.americancommunities.org... American adults,survey data from MRI-Simmons

This says 37%: https://today.yougov.com/topics/tra...ly-one-third-americans-have-valid-us-passport

I find it hard to believe the first statistic. You don't NEED a passport to travel and see all kinds of locations. I took my first international trip when I was 18.
I have always believed that everyone should be required to have a passport when they are born, so it will be easier for those kids to be able to have less travel issues in the future.

According to you and @Buzz Rules, my parents should have been required to purchase five passports that I would have gotten ZERO use out of. It's not like some family is deciding "Hey, let's go to Europe in 3 months! Oh darn, we don't have passports."

I'm an Associate Professor of New Media which includes Mobile Media Studies, Internet Studies, and Social Media at the college level. I do, however, have a passionate love for European History and thus spend lots of time there (some of it for work).
That's really cool. I'm hoping to get a PHD in History in the future if my law school ambitions don't pan out. I'm still deciding which path I want to pursue more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter