I just don't understand why someone who is having a hard time even paying ...

If they are broke I wonder how they plan on paying for it. Credit cards? Also if they really wanted their child to go why didn't they start saving in advance for it? That's a lot of money to put out when they can't pay their bills. I'm assuming they have no savings then. Whats going to happen if their car breaks down or even if their child gets sick/hurt on this trip.

I guess I just don't understand putting yourself in a situation where you don't have anything to fall back on.:confused3

What will happen if their car breaks down, or they have an unplanned sickness? They (along with lots of other people), will charge it on their credit cards, knowing they can't pay the bill. They will then declare bankruptcy and walk away, leaving someone else to clean up their mess. The credit card company will then pass along their losses to the rest of us who work and actually pay their bills. No-one seems to want to take responsibility for their actions anymore - they want someone else to bail them out.

I have seen those letters before and thought they were a joke....seriously people will give you money like that? :eek: My little one's school does a trip down to the Keys in 5th grade, I started putting money aside last year when she was in 2nd grade. I think people take the "it takes a village to raise a child" too literally!

If she wants her kid to go, then don't worry about it.

Stop listening to her bull poo about poverty.

If she loses her house she won't be coming to live with you, right?

I don't get it either. My neighbor's house is getting foreclosed and yet she just sent her son yesterday to Disney for a school trip AND just a couple of months ago had enough money for a **** job and tummy tuck. Talk about priorities.

I don't get it either. My neighbor's house is getting foreclosed and yet she just sent her son yesterday to Disney for a school trip AND just a couple of months ago had enough money for a **** job and tummy tuck. Talk about priorities.

Maybe she can afford all of that now that she's stopped paying her mortgage. ;)

If they are broke I wonder how they plan on paying for it. Credit cards? Also if they really wanted their child to go why didn't they start saving in advance for it? That's a lot of money to put out when they can't pay their bills. I'm assuming they have no savings then. Whats going to happen if their car breaks down or even if their child gets sick/hurt on this trip.

I guess I just don't understand putting yourself in a situation where you don't have anything to fall back on.:confused3

I'm guessing it will go on the credit cards. From what I know she doesn't have any savings.

the mortgage would sign their kids up for a $4500+ overseas school trip? What sense does that make when you complain and complain about not being able to pay your mortgage and car payment. Not to mention barely having enough to pay for groceries! This comes from my co-worker who thinks her 14-15 year old needs this trip and she feels bad not letting her go. She told me this morning and I just couldn't help putting my hand over my face and just shaking my head. In fact she let everyone know on how great this opportunity is when just last week she complained she couldn't afford an Easter Dinner or to pay for a tank of gas. Every single person in here said this is a bad idea and she shouldn't do it in her current situation. Some people just don't get it.:confused:

I'm just happy that we as a group are at least opening her eyes to how this is possibly a bad money mistake for her. Hopefully she'll change her mind and build up an emergency fund or maybe take a less expensive trip there as a family.
Don't a lot of schools do fund raising for the school trips? My friend's kids both went on trips (to Africa and France, I think) and they both sent out emails asking for money for the trip. One girl "sold" postcards that she would then send to you from her location. Perhaps she is planning to raise the cost of the trip or maybe she is even getting a scholarship.

the mortgage would sign their kids up for a $4500+ overseas school trip? What sense does that make when you complain and complain about not being able to pay your mortgage and car payment. Not to mention barely having enough to pay for groceries! This comes from my co-worker who thinks her 14-15 year old needs this trip and she feels bad not letting her go. She told me this morning and I just couldn't help putting my hand over my face and just shaking my head. In fact she let everyone know on how great this opportunity is when just last week she complained she couldn't afford an Easter Dinner or to pay for a tank of gas. Every single person in here said this is a bad idea and she shouldn't do it in her current situation. Some people just don't get it.:confused:

I'm just happy that we as a group are at least opening her eyes to how this is possibly a bad money mistake for her. Hopefully she'll change her mind and build up an emergency fund or maybe take a less expensive trip there as a family.

You post states nothing about her actually going ahead and signing the girl up for the trip. You said she feels bad for not letting her go. So, if that's the case, I don't see the problem. She can want to sign her kid up and feel bad for not being able to at the same time.

Watch out…the fundraising letters will be coming soon:rolleyes:

Our neighbors sent their daughter on a People To People trip. We got letter after letter asking us to donate to this “cause”. Um, no. Why on earth would I give you money to send your daughter on a glorified vacation?

People have no shame.

You will see people here on this board that have financial issues, yet are planning a trip to WDW. It's disgusting.

Huh?? It's not disgusting that people who can't afford a fun trip for their family are trying very hard to provide one. I think that what you said has nothing to do with the original post. You are talking about people with financial issues who are planning a trip for their family to WDW to take off some of the stress from their everyday lives. Not about one bratty kid manipulating their mother into sending them on a trip that could easy pay a month or two of mortgage.

DH and I don't have a lot of money, and we gladly accepted a honeymoon from my parents, who can easily afford it. Does that make us disgusting? We don't make a lot of money and we have APs to Disneyland. Does that make us disgusting? People prioritize their wants. Some people insist on getting professional photos taken every year when they aren't in the financial position to do it.. some people would rather have a nice car than live in a family friendly area.. others would rather go on a vacation and provide amazing memories for their family. And that's disgusting?

Hard to believe someone would even consider shelling out $4500 for a trip for their kid when they can't pay their mortgage. Kids have to learn that they can't have everything handed to them. They need to learn to actually work for things and parents have to make them.

Huh?? It's not disgusting that people who can't afford a fun trip for their family are trying very hard to provide one. I think that what you said has nothing to do with the original post. You are talking about people with financial issues who are planning a trip for their family to WDW to take off some of the stress from their everyday lives. Not about one bratty kid manipulating their mother into sending them on a trip that could easy pay a month or two of mortgage.

DH and I don't have a lot of money, and we gladly accepted a honeymoon from my parents, who can easily afford it. Does that make us disgusting? We don't make a lot of money and we have APs to Disneyland. Does that make us disgusting? People prioritize their wants. Some people insist on getting professional photos taken every year when they aren't in the financial position to do it.. some people would rather have a nice car than live in a family friendly area.. others would rather go on a vacation and provide amazing memories for their family. And that's disgusting?

Uh. No.

It is disgusting when people come on here and talk about not paying bills, but go on multiple vacations. In the end, the responsible taxpayers will pay for their irresponsible ways;)

It is also disgusting to ask people to pay for a vacation for your child.

If neither pertains to you, then there is no reason to get upset;)

You post states nothing about her actually going ahead and signing the girl up for the trip. You said she feels bad for not letting her go. So, if that's the case, I don't see the problem. She can want to sign her kid up and feel bad for not being able to at the same time.

From what I know she HAS signed up for the trip. She WOULD feel bad if she didn't do it.

Sounds like posters here on the DIS who can't afford Easter dinner, yet their kids need to do school trips and wonderful people keep paying their way. Some people just have no shame.

I don't mind kids who bust their butts fundraising to help off-set the cost of a trip, if it's a foreign exchange trip or a band trip to WDW or whatever, at least they are working to pay for the trip. By "fund raising" I mean car washes, candy bar sales, etc. NOT hitting up friends, relatives, and neighbors for cash donations.

Don't a lot of schools do fund raising for the school trips? My friend's kids both went on trips (to Africa and France, I think) and they both sent out emails asking for money for the trip. One girl "sold" postcards that she would then send to you from her location. Perhaps she is planning to raise the cost of the trip or maybe she is even getting a scholarship.

That's exactly the type of email that would potentially make them not friends anymore...Emailing asking for $$ to fund your child's trip isn't fundraising...it is asking for handouts to fund someone else's vacation. It is a LUXURY item that should only be hand, IMO, if you can actually afford it yourself. OR if you are so inclined, work your butt off and save every babysitting dollar and pay for it yourself (with or without your parents help). The above, to me, doesn't qualify as 'raising' the cost of the trip. Car washes and raking peoples' yards, etc. is actually working to raise funds. The above qualifies as asking others to pay for a trip for you. Even with the postcard ploy....I'm certain she wasn't asking for $1.50 to pay for the postcard and postage....or else she'd have to know a LOT of people to cover the trip.

I don't mind kids who bust their butts fundraising to help off-set the cost of a trip, if it's a foreign exchange trip or a band trip to WDW or whatever, at least they are working to pay for the trip. By "fund raising" I mean car washes, candy bar sales, etc. NOT hitting up friends, relatives, and neighbors for cash donations.

We seem to see more and more of the "sponsorship" requests instead of fundraising. I can't recall ever seeing straight out requests for cash donations until the last couple of years. Is this new?

Uh. No.

It is disgusting when people come on here and talk about not paying bills, but go on multiple vacations. In the end, the responsible taxpayers will pay for their irresponsible ways;)

It is also disgusting to ask people to pay for a vacation for your child.

If neither pertains to you, then there is no reason to get upset;)

I'm not upset. I just felt like your comment wasn't very nice.

Just because people have different opinions and different ways of living doesn't mean that they're disgusting. There are a lot of people who I don't get along with or agree with their practices, but I don't really find them disgusting.

Maybe "disgusting" is a little harsh...I find "irresponsible" to be a perfect word!

I'm amazed that anyone would take a vacation over paying their mortgage! I have a family member that does it and a friend that does it, too. I know it isn't my business, UNTIL I have to hear the constant complaints about having no money. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter