I Just don't "get" Soarin?

sephorachick

DIS Veteran
I went on it once a few years ago but my last 2 trips the lines were out of control! I don't understand why it always has a huge wait? To each their own I suppose....

Anyone else just not get it? I love Spaceship Earth the best at Epcot.

I went on it once a few years ago but my last 2 trips the lines were out of control! I don't understand why it always has a huge wait? To each their own I suppose....

Relatively low capacity coupled with high demand. It is one of the few attractions that appeals to all ages and has a relatively low height requirement. Toy Story Mania and Peter Pan are similar in that regard.

I completely agree - why such a long wait for an okay ride. For those FPs to always go first, has made no sense to me. I like the ride, but it's NOT worth waiting 60+ minutes for.

Love Soarin. My parents loved it, too.

I will say that your experience on Soarin will be greatly improved if you sit in the top middle row. You don't see dangling feet, and the angle is better so that you don't see the sides of the screen in your view. You really get the illusion of flying the best from top middle, sometimes drastically better when compared to the bottom row or the extreme left or right seats.

It's my favorite ride in Epcot. But there's no law requiring people to love every ride. Think of it this way...all thsoe folks in line for Soarin mean a shorter wait on something else that you DO like!

I'm with you. We've been on it, sat in every row and the ends and the middle but to us, it's just OK. If we can get a FastPass for it, we do. Otherwise, we laugh at the stand by line waits and continue on. But, as you said, to each their own. It's just not worth my time.

Relatively low capacity coupled with high demand. It is one of the few attractions that appeals to all ages and has a relatively low height requirement. Toy Story Mania and Peter Pan are similar in that regard.

Sort of disagree with that. My grandson, who was five at the time HATED this. I still can't go on it and totally relax because I don't like heights and the free fall sensation. So, while it appeals to all ages, there are some subgroups that aren't thrilled with it at all. If my mother were alive, there's no way in heck she'd be on this one.

We love Soarin'. As a pp said, it appears to all age groups. And IMO I just think its awesome that you can feel the wind, smell the oranges, and have to duck when the golf ball comes at you-yah I do that every time!! Lol

Sort of disagree with that. My grandson, who was five at the time HATED this. I still can't go on it and totally relax because I don't like heights and the free fall sensation. So, while it appeals to all ages, there are some subgroups that aren't thrilled with it at all. If my mother were alive, there's no way in heck she'd be on this one.

I wouldn't go so far to say there is a certain subgroup (except maybe those with a fear of heights perhaps) that doesn't like it, just certain individuals. My point is still valid.

Belleandtinker said:
I completely agree - why such a long wait for an okay ride. For those FPs to always go first, has made no sense to me. I like the ride, but it's NOT worth waiting 60+ minutes for.

I agree. You just hang up there while watching a movie. It is cool but it could be way better for that wait

My family is another who wouldn't miss Soarin' at all if it disappeared tomorrow.

We would much rather spend time that would have been used on Soarin' on the much-maligned and misunderstood masterpiece that is Mission:Space. (and that includes my daughter who was 5 the first time she rode the extreme side of M:S and begged to do it again)

Soarin' at DCA also has huge waits with FPs gone by late morning for all the reasons stated by Mesaboy. And the crowds there are mostly locals! Before the Bug's Life area and Carsland, the waits were even worse because there was very little the younger crowd could ride.

My family enjoys Soarin' as we've been to the majority of sites shown - we definitely can relate to the traffic and DL @ night! But experiencing Soarin' at WDW has always been puzzling to me; why soar over CA when you are in Florida??

i think because it is so relaxing. my mum has a fear of heights and before she went someone described it to her as just sitting on a front porch swing with beautiful scenery. this also is not a ride you get at other parks. i grew up next to six flags and they had versions of many rides that disney has, but nothing like this. for us this is a RD priority. we feel the same way about test track, its cool but even with FP the wait is just too long for what it is. to each their own. :confused3 we also have never waited in those crazy lines. we will ride RD, get a FP for later, or we have even gone here some nights right before dinner to find the line is only 10 minutes and we hop on.

I love Soarin' and get there at RD to be able to ride it twice. I've done the 60 min wait the first time I rode it and while I enjoy the ride, it's not worth waiting more than 20 mins for it.

I like the feeling when the mechanism hoists you up and looove the smells (Horizon's oranges!). Dis should work to improve the quality of the film and do something (IMHO) related to Epcot's countires. (Soarin' over the world, etc.)

Dis should work to improve the quality of the film and do something (IMHO) related to Epcot's countires. (Soarin' over the world, etc.)

My DH and I say this every time we go! Why don't they change it to Soarin' over the countries in World Showcase?? I never understood why you are Soarin' over California in WDW.

Even if they did change it, though, I'd still probably ride it once and be done with it. Definitely not on my list of rides I have to do. Only reason we sometimes do it is to kill time during EMH.

I don't find Soarin any different than any other attraction when it comes to "getting it". You either like it or you don't. No reason or justification required.

I agree that the reasons for its long standby lines are a combination of limited ride capacity and its appeal across a wide spectrum of guests. Of course there will be individuals within that spectrum who don't like it. That is no different than any other ride. I refuse to stand in a long standby line for any ride- Soarin is no different. We either see it at RD or grab a fastpass first thing in the morning.

I do have a problem with the film quality. And I would dearly love to see the whole thing re-shot with, if not international scenes, at least scenes that reflect the eastern part of the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter