• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just can't justify flying :(

When I was growing up my family drove down to Florida every year but I have
no interest at all in doing it again.The trip down wasn't quite as bad since generally speaking
the weather was getting warmer and warmer but the colder and colder trip back
was very depressing.It also ate up a good part of our vacation.It is so nice just
hopping a plane and being in Orlando three hours later.

When we go to Disneyland from Utah, we drive. It's a 10 hour drive (one way), we stop in Vegas overnight, it's really fun.

From Utah to WDW, driving isn't even an option. We have to fly. :thumbsup2

It is so exciting going. But, when coming back forget it. I never would consider driving, all the way to FL. I can hardly make it to family reunions in S. C. Endless, hours riding/driving. Tolls, gas, kids asking are we there yet, every half, an hour. No way. Thank you 2 hour, and a half flights. From Long Island NY, to Orlando. 21 hours in a car, van. No way. JMHO

We drove down with our almost 4 year old twins in Feb/March from New York. The ride was fine, they did not complain once. We have a DVD player and I bought them fun little toys from the dollar store and they did fine. They are generally very happy children, so that helps. We stopped and ate and let them run around, got a hotel room and let them swim at the hotel. I really believe it's what you get them used to. We talk about Disney alot and eat a lot of snacks etc. We did the auto train once and liked that but it was expensive $1200. and we still had to drive down to Virginia. I think now a days flying is a BIG hassle and it's expensive and if you want a car down at Disney that's expensive too. We got to bring whatever we wanted down to Disney and bring whatever we wanted back, without worrying about packing it and putting it on a plane. To each his own, but to all the people who don't like to drive, there are a lot who don't like to fly. Linda

Hi Linda,

We used to drive too..many years ago when the boys were small...the last 2 are teens now (1 is grown...)....kids change...believe me.

Those days of DVD's and dollar toys are long gone...yikes!

(plus I work in an emergency room...you would not believe what we see automobile accident wise...its scarey..I see many folks that never make it to their destiination :sad2: )

hope your trips are all safe and memorable...:)
Esmerelda

couldn't pass this on up, I am scared to fly but after three trips to Dis, I will be flying next trip in Dec. why? well after the traffic in Nashville stop and go or 95 miles an hour, with seemed to be only two choices a person has going through that great city plus factor in a chance at two hours bumper to bumper driving in Atlanta and 225 miles of horizontally rain, or once we hit Atlanta on a Friday and were three hours getting from North side of Atlanta to south side. I have came to believe the skies can't be any scary up there then driving to Florida. After several times to Disney with two teenagers fighting over who has more room in the back of the suv or who's got who Cd's, who drank the lat pop, I will gladly pay to go from home to Dis in 4 hours or less from IL. Plus also figure the traffic in around the mouse area. I recall a time when you could drive around Kiss and Orlando and not have the traffic that is now part of daily life in the area and ongoing. That is just my input in it.

We used to drive to FL because of my fear of flying. I then decided I would rather have those extra days in Disney, and not have my husband exhausted.

DH was iffy about it because the cost was not much better (we have 4 kids), but we got up in the morning, ate breakfast, went to the airport, and were eating lunch in Epcot by noon. :thumbsup2 He will never drive again.

for us that a very very long ride with 4 kids.to hear are we almost there yet more times then I can count not thanks!

I thought it would be fun at first ,then dh said no way and pointed out why.

wasting time to get there 22 hours.

bathroom break

the car-tires,gas,oil, check things out before going,tolls, need I go on

not feeling well rested when you arrive coarse you could WASTE ANOTHER DAY if you stopped and stayed at a hotel.

stress and whining of being in the car for sooooo long.

then to make the long trip home . I know I an tired after my trip wit out having to drive 22 hours back!

we are paying 1228.00 for our xmas flight and its worth ever cent to arrive at 11 am RESTED and ready for some FAMILY FUN

they are 11,8,5,1.5 and thats to long in any car for my kids. they get impaitent when we drive 3 hours to visit Chicago:eek:

I wouldn't drive 1,300 mles one way if I was being paid $625 to do it.:sad2:

But like someone else said, it's all in what you're looking for. If you're looking just at cost, I still wouldn't drive. If you're looking for a road trip, then driving is your answer.

Did you factor in your hotel cost? At all the miles you put down, I cannot imagine you will be driving straight through. Usually one night's hotel stay is enough to go above and beyond what airfare costs.

Also, for me, since I work I have to factor in an extra day of vacation time on either side. It takes me two extra days if I am to drive. If you add that in, driving can get very expensive!

There was a time when I would drive just because I wanted to save a buck or 2. Not anymore. We do / will drive to NC if we are going to the beach, but I think if we are just going to visit, we'll fly. To WDW, there is no way I would drive unless we were taking 2 weeks, and then I still might not do it.

I'm like others, I want the time ON my vacation, not getting TO my vacation :).

But I cant argue the idea of actually driving just for the sites, but in that case, are you planning on stopping anywhere to site see or just using that to try to justify driving? If you actually stop and see stuff that you think is important, now you just took MORE time away from WDW :eek: :eek:

We live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. We have always flown, except for one trip when we took Amtrak. We are very lucky in that SWA has been in Philly for a few years, so the prices are pretty competitive. We almost always end up flying USAirways (some members of my family dislike the seating policy on SWA :rolleyes: ), because they end up matching the SWA fares or vice versa. Flying is no pleasure these days. But it is what it is and preparing for what you need to do is not that big of a deal.

We've considered driving, but have always opted out. Wear and tear on the car, more time off at work, etc. When we retire, we will probably consider driving down, but for now, the extra time we gain by flying is very precious to us, even with the hassles.

Most of you talk about extra time of vacation for driving and the extra cost of eating on the road/hotel, etc.

For us it is a wash because whether I drive or fly, I have x number of days of approved vacation.

So if I drive, that night on the road is at a $30 roadside motel, and the food is cheaper.

If I fly, that night is at WDW at a minimum of $70 per night and eating WDW/airport food.

We are in a weird situation. We're just close enough (690 miles), that the flights have to be at the exact right times and exact price to save us any time/money over driving. To get us there sooner, the flight would have to be at night after work (SW out of Nashville currently does have such a flight). If we have to wait until the next morning to leave flying, then we could get to WDW at the same time by starting the drive the night before, then finishing the next morning.

Going home, we do gain about 3/4 of a day by flying on the last available flight out.

Of course, once the camper arrives, we'll probably be driving for most of our trips anyway pulling the camper.

As far as devaluing the car by putting miles on it. I buy a new car and don't even think about getting rid of it until it has to be towed to the junk yard. If a car is properly maintained, highway miles are the easiest on a car.

Most of you talk about extra time of vacation for driving and the extra cost of eating on the road/hotel, etc.

For us it is a wash because whether I drive or fly, I have x number of days of approved vacation.

So if I drive, that night on the road is at a $30 roadside motel, and the food is cheaper.

If I fly, that night is at WDW at a minimum of $70 per night and eating WDW/airport food.

This is how I look at it. If I know I want to go to Disney World the FIRST thing I look at is how many full days I want to spend there. It is a minimum, usually, of 5. There are two days tacked on to either side of that for flying down. I can get there in a matter of hours by flying, so we usually plan on things to do that evening. Sometimes, if I can get a late enough flight, I can actually work and fly down that evening.

But, if I drive--13 to 14 hours--I could either take the same amount of leave and drive straight through, being exhausted on my first day of going to the parks. Or I can take an extra day and split the drive which is most likely what I would do. So, there is two extra days of vacation I would have to take for both my husband and myself. That converts to a lot of money.

...the food going and coming back....the 4 of us have to eat...

Since you "have to eat", why do you consider this as an additional cost when comparing driving to flying? I don't consider this an extra cost since we will eat the same amount of food any given day whether we drive or fly.

I drove half way by myself with my girls....from Iowa. We picked up my cousins in TN where we stayed the night for free. We then drove to FL the next day.

Did I love it? NO. But spring break flights from Iowa are HORRENDOUS!!! AWFUL!! I mean like 500 to 600 a person at the time.

The drive was long but it was ok, I would do it again if it meant saving big money in peak season...

there are 5 of us so flying gets pricey with extra peeps in tow...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter