I just booked our airfare yikes

Mynamewastaken

DIS Veteran
I booked our airfare for our feb 14-22nd trip and paid a pretty 1,835.00 for 4. :crazy2: My Dh and I are both teachers and this is the only time we can go. We are flying US Airways using companion tickets for our children. I had to buy 2 full price tickets for Dh and I at 769.50 each and with my full price ticket because I have their credit card I can fly the kids for 99.00 each which doesn't include taxes. That ends up being 148.00 each. Grand total 1,835.00 JUST FOR FLIGHTS....ugh. We won't be going back to Disney for a LONG TIME. :faint:

With 2 kids in school and a zero excused absence policy, we are also forced to take vacation only when school is out. But due to the cost of airfare we must travel in the heat of August and drive from NJ.

I would have waited until Southwest opened up for your dates.............would have saved you alot of money.You had 3 places to fly from Manchester, Providence or Boston or even driving to NY or Philadelphia

We're flying out of providence instead of Boston- much cheaper, but not feb vacation either. That's rough.

Yeah I don't have her big picture but pulling the trigger in July for airfare in February seems really early. Why not check into obtaining some credit card from SW or Delta to help with the costs?

I would have waited until Southwest opened up for your dates.............would have saved you alot of money.You had 3 places to fly from Manchester, Providence or Boston or even driving to NY or Philadelphia

Yeah I don't have her big picture but pulling the trigger in July for airfare in February seems really early.

Agreed. I *just* booked air for our Labor Day trip. Also for a November trip, but that was because I was using miles for mine and I know that won't be changing, and the other ticket was for a friend who is a newbie to WDW and it was a decent price.

If they OP truly just booked it, maybe they'll think about it for 23 hours after they booked it and use the cancel-in-24 hours option?

I'm trying to book airfare out of Boston too. I'm flying the last week in October and the flights I want are almost $500! It's never been this high. I'd fly out of Manchester but the difference in price isn't that much. Definitely not enough to beat the convenience we have of being 10 min. from Logan.

like the other posters said, sometimes Providence and Manchester can be a lot cheaper
it might not be that way for February vacation but it might be worth investigating
I don't know if Southwest has February flights available yet though

Providence a little further away but it is so much easier to park and get through security
if you are north of the city, I've heard similar positives about Manchester

If you're still in your window to cancel without penalty, you should do it. It is way to early to be booking air for February. Like the other posters said, look at alternate airports nearby and wait for the Southwest fares to come out.

I have to disagree with some of you. Being from the northeast and a teacher myself, I know from experience that they earlier you buy tickets for vacation week, the better. I haven't gone during February vacation but many people like to the leave the snow for the Florida sun - therefore raising the prices. I am traveling during April vacation and we bought those tickets when United released them. We paid $640pp and they have since gone up

I booked for April the first day I could. We are flying from Hartford to Tampa. Our end destination is ft Myers and sadly not the poly!

I just looked yesterday to make sure our seats were still there, etc.... And the RT cost is still $600. It was that a few weeks ago too. I paid $259 RT.

I had been checking white plains and LGA as well and besides Tampa and Ft. Myers I looke at Miami, ft Lauderdale and west palm.

I am so glad I didn't wait. Ok I hemmed and hawed on waiting for jet blue but I'd still be waiting. So instead delta, my Dh will get
More miles so we can eventually go back to Hawaii with out kids on the miles.

I am a little worries that jet blue will have a better price but it won't be by much if they do.

If I was going to Disney, my days would be flexible and I would wait for jet blue.

If you're still in your window to cancel without penalty, you should do it. It is way to early to be booking air for February. Like the other posters said, look at alternate airports nearby and wait for the Southwest fares to come out.

Not necessarily. If you live/have lived in New England, February is a winter break time and lots of families take vacations then. Airfares are always high. Also, with the merger between Southwest and AirTran and other factors, Southwest's fares are not always going to be the lowest. Their business model is changing.

I feel your pain, we fly from MSP and there isn't another city to try to drive to unless we drive 6 - 8 hrs to Milwaukee or Chicago one way

With Airtran leaving, flights are going up and up.

We only have 3 carriers that do non stop flights to Orlando,
Spirit (NO THANK YOU!), Sun Country (usually only once a day) and Delta.

we are LUCKY to get airfare for $300 - $350 RT, most of the time it is around $375. We are stuck to the school calendar for now, which stinks :(

We will be going on a cruise in March (Spring Break) Right now the tickets are $469 RT, per person, with Spirit (I will pass) Sun Country around $512, i am holding out a bit longer, but I know those will keep going up and up, so I am waiting for Southwest to release their March schedule, after that I will book my airfare. I am just crossing my fingers I can find something under $450 (and not on Spirit, I will pay extra to not fly on Spirit)

I still say they should've waited. Southwest's fares for February come out on 7/28 so at the bare minimum I would have waited until those were released to see a better picture. In looking at Southwest's pricing out of Boston through the end of 2014, what they paid is still high.

Not necessarily. If you live/have lived in New England, February is a winter break time and lots of families take vacations then. Airfares are always high. Also, with the merger between Southwest and AirTran and other factors, Southwest's fares are not always going to be the lowest. Their business model is changing.

This is exactly why we booked. I am positive that SW will be more expensive. I should have booked a few weeks ago when the prices was 720.00 pp but I waited. Since booking the price has gone up again. Around here is just so expensive. I looked at Manchester and have flown out of there almost everytime but this time it was more expensive than Boston.

My wife is a teacher as well and it's way too early to purchase. We've gone down to Florida during mid-winter breaks so better rates can be had. Spring Break in April is a whole different ballgame than going in February. Many people like to go in February are primarily retirees who mostly drive and not fly. Typically colleges start Spring Break toward around the end of February.

I have to disagree with some of you. Being from the northeast and a teacher myself, I know from experience that they earlier you buy tickets for vacation week, the better. I haven't gone during February vacation but many people like to the leave the snow for the Florida sun - therefore raising the prices. I am traveling during April vacation and we bought those tickets when United released them. We paid $640pp and they have since gone up

The bigger issue in New England (and Boston) is that nearly all of the states have vacation at the same time. I live and work in Southern Maine and many people prefer to fly out of Logan in Boston instead of Portland or Manchester. Retirees are long gone from New England by February vacation so these are flights being filled by vacationers. I just wouldn't want to try and fly during February. Too many snow storms that can and do affect travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter