• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I honestly don't believe this but...

Originally posted by Bob O
When you go on world class coasters, be it Ghostrider out in CA, or the Raven in the midwest as examples you get rides that cant be equalled on a steel coaster.

This is purely your personal opinion. Whether you prefer steel or wood is a strong factor in this argument :p And I don't think you can compare the costs of even B&M giants to such E-ticket $100 million rides such as Spiderman and Mission: Space (which is what MGM should be installing, and not more coasters).

Bob O, can you give me even one example of a wooden coaster that is themed? Thrill-wise, they're fine but when you pile the cost of the ride to be initially built & then tack on maintenance not many companies, especially this incarnation of the cost conscious Disney, are willing to spend money on top of that to add a theme...and to do it somewhat well.

By their very nature they are huge,usually a few thousand feet of track.They are also fast-not extreme like hi tech steel coasters- but still fast. What kind of theme/details can one really observe when zipping by at 50 mph. Imagine trying to pick out the details of PotC in a Baja ski boat. Thunder Mountain is enjoyable because it is contained in a small enough area and goes slow enough to actually enjoy the scenery. I like big coasters,regardless of steel or wood,but I like them for what they are, not what some think they could be. I think all coasters fall into three catagories: 1) Thrill,the Hulk 2) Themed, Thunder Mountain and 3) Wooden,(or steel) like CS. Each is unique in its own way and all are enjoyable.

Scooby-doo-Disney is too cheap to even install a excellant roller coaster,yet alone a ride of the scale of Spiderman with their own money!!!. That is why mgm built a ride like RNRC which is a vekoma ride that can be found in other parks and was too cheap to build a ride of the caliber of Hulk/DD or Spiderman. RNRC was built because it was a cheap addition to mgm as a decent thrill ride but were unwilling to spend the money for a truely great thrill experience.
Jeff i cant give a example of a coaster themed in a manner like rnrc as none are inside like rnrc/sm. But their are alot of wooden coasters that use the terrain/woods they are in as their theming. You can find alot of wooden coasters that use the natural hill terrain to devise a great ride or the Beast as a example at PKI which uses the woods it is in to make the ride special, escpecailly at night when the lights are turned off and your riding the coaster when it is pitch black and go thru the woods and tunnels. Just because disney is too cheap to do it right doesnt mean it cant be done, and what sense does it make to put a fake wooden coaster in part of the park like PP at DCA when that screams for a actual wooden coaster.
Viking i would agree to a point, but alot of wooden coasters have partswhere they go up the lift hill it is not fast and alot faster when they go down the hill and the speed can be monitored so it is slow around themed areas and fast when in area's with little theming.

Originally posted by Bob O

Viking i would agree to a point, but alot of wooden coasters have partswhere they go up the lift hill it is not fast and alot faster when they go down the hill and the speed can be monitored so it is slow around themed areas and fast when in area's with little theming.

Yes, great point Bob. Break Runs can be used to slow the train down. With the invention and use of LIM(Linear Induction Motors- the launch on RNRC) the train could be moved along faster in certain point over coming physics. The technology is available to do this; its just nobody has built it yet. Journey to the Center of the earth comes close. A coaster of this type would be great in a chase scene like Monsters Inc.

Dueling Dragons may be the best themed coaster on the planet if not for it being hurt by "lack of magic" :rolleyes: I suppose that if they had put it inside a building with some day glow cardboard cutouts it would rank higher on some of the "Disney-only" peoples list. I'm not blind though I do wish they had done more with the "Dragon-Fight" section of the ride. I'm sure it was a money issue. Never the less it's still one heck of a ride !!

Originally posted by WEDWAY100
I always thought they should “re-purpose” Toad and Pinocchio (From DL) and implement them in World Showcase. Toad would be in England, with a façade similar to DL’s, and made to fit completely within that environment. The Pinocchio dark ride would go in Germany and the façade would be well done there too. It’s basically the same idea as it’s a small world “re-purposed” for the Mexican pavilion.

Great ideas! Not to nitpick but wouldn't Pinocchio fit into the Italy pavillon since he is Italian?

Originally posted by WEDWAY100
The Pinocchio dark ride would go in Germany and the façade would be well done there too. It’s basically the same idea as it’s a small world “re-purposed” for the Mexican pavilion.

Uhh... I believe that Pinnochio is an Italian story. I like your idea, though!

Repurposing Fantasyland Rides –

The original plans for Euro Disney’s Fantasyland was to highlight European cultures through the dark rides. Each attraction would have been presented in its native language (‘Snow White’ in German, ‘Pinocchio’ in Italian, and so on). Each attraction would have been supplemented with themed merchandise and food locations from the same country. So in effect, it would have been a mini-World Showcase. There were even ideas about extending the concept beyond Europe to include attractions based on the Mulan legend and others. I think it would have been very interesting.

But Eisner didn’t like the idea. He thought it would be confusing to hear all those languages and that the Europeans wanted a very American-flavored park. So the “country of origin” concept was killed for the standard (and cheaper) standard layout.

"But Eisner didn’t like the idea. He thought it would be confusing to hear all those languages and that the Europeans wanted a very American-flavored park. So the “country of origin” concept was killed for the standard (and cheaper) standard layout."

To a certain extent I can agree with ME's decision. The European community having a WS with European nations might be like us building a "Showcase" for each state. I enjoy going to "Germany" in the WS because I don't have the opportunity to go to the real Germany.

To everyone: I apologize. I couldn’t remember if Pinocchio was German or Italian, so I guessed. You guys caught me. I’ll make sure I look up the facts next time! :rolleyes:

AV – Aren’t the FL rides in DLP in their original language? I thought they were. Anyway, they would have to be in English if they were used in WS. Why? Because you’re either bi-lingual, tri-lingual, or American. (I’m American).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter