I Heart Southwest!!

kath1210

DIS Veteran
I just received the "Click n Save" e-mail advertising a systemwide sale, and was able to change my $125 one-way tickets to $49 one-way tickets for our December return trip (we already have a $39 DING fare for the trip down to Orlando).

We saved almost $400,which should be close to enough for our next trip, if the SWA fairy DINGs us again!!

We booked swa out of Manchester,NH for $115.00 including all taxes for our Dec. trip for a not planned Universal/ Seaworld long weekend trip. What a deal!!! We love Southwest... :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana: :rotfl2:

Hopefully someone will know the answer to this Southwest question (because the agent didn't)!!

I book a flight in August for our December trip. A few times the prices went down and I was able to go online and click on "travel center" and "change reservation". However, when a ding came up I was not able to do this. I was told by a Southwest agent that she "didn't think" if you made a reservation that you could later get the ding rate (unless of course you canceled and rebooked). Has anyone tried to do this??

Thanks - Lori

how did you get the click and save e mail? I checked the website and there isn't anywhere to get info. Maybe because you previously booked through them? When are you traveling? I have been hunting for flights in mid March and they are sky- high!
and Easter isn't until April this year!

Thanks for any info!

Lorikr65 said:
Hopefully someone will know the answer to this Southwest question (because the agent didn't)!!

I book a flight in August for our December trip. A few times the prices went down and I was able to go online and click on "travel center" and "change reservation". However, when a ding came up I was not able to do this. I was told by a Southwest agent that she "didn't think" if you made a reservation that you could later get the ding rate (unless of course you canceled and rebooked). Has anyone tried to do this??

Thanks - Lori

For DING fares, I have had the same problem. I always get everything I can filled in for the new flight, open another internet window and cancel the old reservation, then hurry up and use those ticketless travel funds (I think that's the right name) to buy the new flights. So far it's worked out fine!

krismom said:
how did you get the click and save e mail? I checked the website and there isn't anywhere to get info. Maybe because you previously booked through them? When are you traveling? I have been hunting for flights in mid March and they are sky- high!

Thanks for any info!

I signed up for their Rewards program. I think that's how I got on the list!

kath1210 said:
For DING fares, I have had the same problem. I always get everything I can filled in for the new flight, open another internet window and cancel the old reservation, then hurry up and use those ticketless travel funds (I think that's the right name) to buy the new flights. So far it's worked out fine!

This is a dangerous way to go because SW doesn't guarantee that the cancelled flight funds will be available right away. I haven't had to do this yet, but I'm anticipating having to soon for my Feb trip. My sister was just in this situation and was able to get her previous reservation cancelled while online for the DING fare by calling SW. The agents can't give you the DING fare over the phone, but they can cancel your previous reservation while you are on the phone with them and while you have the new DING fare window open on your computer. At the moment they cancel your old reservation, your funds are immediately available and you can book the DING. This worked fine for her (she has 4 people in her traveling party, all under 1 reservation). She's re-booked her December trip twice and has saved $120 (so far).

krismom said:

Thanks for any info!
the click and save fare are mostly for now thru Dec maybe early Jan...March is Spring break in the south and its tough to get a good fare but keep watching they do keep opening up stuff if it isn't book as you get closer. I got March for 59 in early Nov when they first open up. :earsgirl:

I have been able to take advantage of lower fares during a sale by using the Travel Center screen and changing to the lower fare....however, in order to do this, the lower fare must be showing as "available" on the booking screen.If it's not all of the seats at the lower sale fare have been sold out. You can take the chance of cancelling your original ressie and "hope" that this opens up more seats at the lower fare, but, it is risky to do this. However, I've had very good luck just checking on a daily basis. It seems as the travel dates get closer and seats aren't filling SW opens up more seats at a lower price.I've managed to get our fare down to $116.90 each total rd trip from PHL to MCO 12/10 thru 12/17 since the original booking date in July. They started at$176.90 total rd trip. So, I've now got a $240.00 credit for our next trip.....
Initially the return portion of trip was not available at the lower sale price, however, I checked daily (sometimes twice a day) and sure enough, they opened up more seats at the sale price and I jumped on them. I've been lax in checking the past week or so, though, because I really don't think they'll come down any lower at this point. Of course this only works if you're traveling during slower times. I really don't think it would happen over Thanksgiving, Christimas, or Easter or even any of the three day weekend holidays. It works for us because we tend to travel at off times.

To get the click and save email specials all you do is sign up for them at southwest.com you don't have to join their rewards program.

I've done the new ding fare ....cancell old fare thing on three seperate times already...credits were available right away..... Now I just have to keep track of what credits are left and their conf numbers.....

goofyforlife said:
I've done the new ding fare ....cancell old fare thing on three seperate times already...credits were available right away..... Now I just have to keep track of what credits are left and their conf numbers.....

Me too! The credited funds have always been available immediately, so I've never had a problem - although I always hold my breath. :rotfl: I can't figure out any other way to do this with DING fares. I am also trying hard to keep track of my credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter