I haven't been this excited about my birthday since I turned 21! COMPLETE

I've only had a cheese danish once in my life - from the Main Street Bakery before it switched to a Starbucks
Wow, it was delicious and for some reason, I haven't tried one since
Hoping I can pick one up somewhere in October as I can't remember seeing them in MSB since Starbucks took over

Starring rolls is always a go to for me too. Will have to try the Danish next visit. But here is no way on earth I could have passed up a Nutella cupcake. Hopefully the pop up again, specifically in September in my honor ; )

Ok, I'm almost drooling looking at all the Starring Rolls goodies! The cheese danish you chose looks wonderful, glad to hear it tasted as good as it looked. :thumbsup2

More photos of bakery goodies coming soon...this time from Les Halles! :thumbsup2

Yes Barb- let's do lunch at the HBD...

I love the Disney cheese danish

Are the cheese danish the same at other Disney locations? :scratchin

DHS has some great components, but I'd love for some of those 'rumors' surrounding it to materialize. :thumbsup2

With American Idol closing in January, I'm sure the rumors abound as to what might replace it. I just hope they don't let it sit empty again. :( Then of course there are all the Star Wars rumors. ;)

great review all of it looked good.

Thanks much! More good looking stuff coming your way very soon. :thumbsup2

Yay Barb! So glad I found your newest report. I love following along with your dining adventures! Looking forward to reading the rest.

Glad you found me again neighbor! :)

I've only had a cheese danish once in my life - from the Main Street Bakery before it switched to a Starbucks
Wow, it was delicious and for some reason, I haven't tried one since
Hoping I can pick one up somewhere in October as I can't remember seeing them in MSB since Starbucks took over

Would you believe that I haven't yet set foot inside the Starbucks at MK? :upsidedow

yum cheese Danish.
Theyre my chosen breakfast @ the contemporary :)

Ahh, the Contempo Cafe...another place I have not been to. I really need to work on that during my next trip. ;)

Starring rolls is always a go to for me too. Will have to try the Danish next visit. But here is no way on earth I could have passed up a Nutella cupcake. Hopefully the pop up again, specifically in September in my honor ; )

Yes, if I hadn't pigged out with all those desserts at the Brown Derby I probably would not have passed on that 25th anniversary cupcake. :laughing:

I finally got caught up. Happy Belated Birthday Barb!!! Great Reviews!11 :cheer2:

Thanks so much and thank you for continuing to follow along! :goodvibes

Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie - Part I

I had no TS breakfast plans for Friday morning, May 2nd so I was able to sleep in for a bit and then enjoy my delicious breakfast pastry purchased the day before at Starring Rolls Cafe.

Cheese Danish

I deliberately chose not to have a big breakfast this morning because I intended to try a few more things from the Flower & Garden Festival when the booths opened at 11:00, plus still have room for lunch at Le Cellier. Well, unfortunately Mother Nature did not cooperate with my plans. :(

I arrived at Epcot's International Gateway entrance around 10:45 and headed across the bridge toward France, stopping along the way to take a few F & G Festival topiary photos.

Cinderella and Prince Charming

Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) and Prince Philip

Lumiere and Cogsworth (from Beauty and the Beast)

During my walk from the Boardwalk I had noticed some threatening dark clouds in the sky but by 11:00 that threat had become a reality. I hastily sought shelter from the pouring rain and luckily since I was in France, I didn't have far to go...

Armed with only a partially broken umbrella, I decided that I needed to buy a Mickey poncho...which turned out to be a very wise purchase since it continued to rain off and on for the next two days. After a little more shopping at Les Halles' gift shop, I saw that unfortunately the rain was not letting up. It was then that I noticed that things were pretty quiet at the bakery and decided to take advantage of it by taking photos of many of the delicious offerings at...

First a look at the menu showing some of their savory offerings...

Now let's see which of these I have photos of, shall we?

{Note: I apologize in advance if I should wrongly identify any of these, as I failed to take photos of the signs which accompanied the food}

First on the menu is...

Jambon Beurre - Ham & Cheese, Dijon Mustard Butter on a Demi Baguette

Brie Aux Pommes - Brie, Apples & Cranberries on Multi-Grain Bread

Dinde B.L.T. - Turkey, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, & Garlic Aioli

Bleu Salade with Romaine, Imported Bleu Cheese, and Croutons

Croissant Jambon Fromage - Ham, Cheese, & Bechamel on a Croissant

Poulet Au Pistou - Chicken Breast with Cheese, Tomato, Red Onion & Pesto

Tartine Aux Fromages - Country Bread, Tomato Sauce, Swiss, Parmesan & Goat Cheese

Roule Lard a Fromage - Bacon & Cheese Roll

Quiche Lorraine - Ham & Gruyere Quiche (on right)
and Quiche Florentine - Spinach & Goat Cheese Quiche (on left)

Baguettes fresh from the oven

Fromages - Imported Cheese Plate

Pissaladiere with Tomatoes, Olives & Gruyere Cheese

Croque Monsieur - Toasted Ham & Cheese

- To be continued in next post -

Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie - Part II

Now for some of the sweets that can be found at Epcot's French bakery...

Pain Au Chocolat - Chocolate Croissant

Palmier - Cinnamon & Chocolate Elephant Ears

Frangipane - Almond Filling Between Puff Pastry

Fraises Tarte - Vanilla Cream, topped with Strawberry

Citron Tarte - Lemon Cream topped with Meringue

Chocolat Tarte - Caramel Cream & Chocolate Mousse

Tarte aux Pommes - Puff Pastry Dough with Caramelized Apple

Eclairs - Vanilla White Chocolate or Chocolate Cream

Creme Brulee - Caramelized Vanilla Custard

Mousse au Chocolat - Chocolate Mousse

Duo - White and Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake

Macaron - Macaroon with Raspberry & Lime Cream

Cafe Liegeois - Coffee & Cream Mousse, Chocolate

Framboise - Raspberry Mousse Cake

Parfait aux Fruits - Yogurt mousse with berries

So did I have any of these? You betcha I did! :thumbsup2

Roule Lard a Fromage - Bacon & Cheese Roll

I had been wanting to try this ever since Patty (emmebear) reported on this for the Live Thread and gave it a rave review. While my review of the bacon and cheese roll is not quite as enthusiastic as her's, I did enjoy it. It's not though one of my favorites.

My Top 3 favorites from Boulangerie Patisserie are still...

Ham & Cheese Croissant

Crème brûlée

Quiche Lorraine

As for my least favorite, it will be making an appearance later in my dining report. ;)

So what are your favorites at Boulangerie Patisserie? My inquiring mind would like to know. Oh, and feel free to post photos too if you have any.:thumbsup2

Next up: Waiting out the rain at the Rose & Crown Pub

Thanks for all the great pics of les Halle's offerings. Sadly I've never been, but think after all the pics that will change now. Did they actually open before 11? I'd presumed they didn't open until the rest of WS. If so could be a great morning stroll while at BWI.

Oh my goodness everything looks amazing!!! That's it I've got to go make some dinner this moment (( starving here )) and your pictures always look so yummy. I wish they were smell o vision or scratch n sniff at least lol

My favorites are Quiche & Creme brûlée : )

Oh my goodness, everything looks sooo good! We haven't been to the French bakery in ages, I think the last time we stopped in we got a strawberry tart, a Napoleon and a chocolate mousse. No pictures as this was before I started photographing our food. ;) I'd love to try the ham and cheese croissant and the raspberry/lime macaron. They look heavenly! :love:

STOP, STOP no more pics from France. I cant take anymore ;) jk, How did you ever decide on anything? It all looked so delish.

Hey Barb. Belated birthday wishes!

I am really enjoying reading your dining reports. You provide sharp photos, good descriptions, and honest assessments. All of these are the hallmarks of my favorite reviews!!!

Without your leadership of Reporting LIVE! From WDW, I'm not sure I'll have the commitment to report this summer's vacation dining adventures. We'll see what happens.

Till then, I look forward to reading the rest of your reviews. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your birthday trip for all of us dining-obsessed to enjoy!!!

--Rosemary
aka pennyplanner

Hey Barb. Belated birthday wishes! I am really enjoying reading your dining reports. You provide sharp photos, good descriptions, and honest assessments. All of these are the hallmarks of my favorite reviews!!! Without your leadership of Reporting LIVE! From WDW, I'm not sure I'll have the commitment to report this summer's vacation dining adventures. We'll see what happens. Till then, I look forward to reading the rest of your reviews. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your birthday trip for all of us dining-obsessed to enjoy!!! --Rosemary aka pennyplanner

Love your comments and very deserving ... I totally agree with you Barb's disney vacation reports are the finest : )

The problem (!) with Les Halles is too many delicious looking options! It's really hard to make a choice, especially if you're only able to visit once during a trip. Life is so hard! :)

Thanks for the great photos from Les Halles Barb
Do they heat up the quiches and such if you ask them to?

Wow your delicious photos are just amazing! We haven't tried the new bakery yet, but the selections just look incredible. December can't come soon enough for our next trip in indulge.

Wow - such a comprehensive update from Les Halles! I really like the raspberry macaron with lime cream, but there are some different ones I'd love to try (such as the palmier and frangipane).

Thanks for all the great pics of les Halle's offerings. Sadly I've never been, but think after all the pics that will change now. Did they actually open before 11? I'd presumed they didn't open until the rest of WS. If so could be a great morning stroll while at BWI.

Although I have never been there quite that early, I'm pretty sure that Les Halles opens at 9:00 each day. And while the Boardwalk Bakery would be more convenient for you when staying at the BWI and does offer some good breakfast options (I'll be showing some of those later in my report ;)), I think the French bakery has more (and better) options. So if you are planning to spend the day at Epcot anyway, or have a park hopper ticket or annual pass, then Les Halles would be a great choice and only a short walk away. :thumbsup2

Oh my goodness, everything looks sooo good! We haven't been to the French bakery in ages, I think the last time we stopped in we got a strawberry tart, a Napoleon and a chocolate mousse. No pictures as this was before I started photographing our food. ;) I'd love to try the ham and cheese croissant and the raspberry/lime macaron. They look heavenly! :love:

I think it's high time that you returned to Les Halles then, Carol. Bon apetit! :goodvibes

STOP, STOP no more pics from France. I cant take anymore ;) jk, How did you ever decide on anything? It all looked so delish.

Believe me, it was not easy! :laughing:

Hey Barb. Belated birthday wishes!

I am really enjoying reading your dining reports. You provide sharp photos, good descriptions, and honest assessments. All of these are the hallmarks of my favorite reviews!!!

Without your leadership of Reporting LIVE! From WDW, I'm not sure I'll have the commitment to report this summer's vacation dining adventures. We'll see what happens.

Till then, I look forward to reading the rest of your reviews. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your birthday trip for all of us dining-obsessed to enjoy!!!

--Rosemary
aka pennyplanner

Well, hello there Rosemary!! :wave2: So good to hear from you again, and with such kind words...you make me blush. :blush:

I'm so glad to hear that you have a WDW vacation coming up very soon. I hope you will do a dining report after your trip, as you did such a great job of describing your meals when you were live reporting. Or at least post a review of some your favorites on the (No Longer) Live Thread, if you don't have the time to devote to a full dining report. :thumbsup2

Love your comments and very deserving ... I totally agree with you Barb's disney vacation reports are the finest : )

Aww...thanks so much! As Sally Field said in her Oscar acceptance speech, "You like me. You really like me!" :goodvibes Or perhaps more fitting in this case would be Sean Penn's words from his acceptance speech, "You tolerate me. You really tolerate me!" :lmao:

The problem (!) with Les Halles is too many delicious looking options! It's really hard to make a choice, especially if you're only able to visit once during a trip. Life is so hard! :)

This brings to mind the words of another great actress...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :lmao:

Thanks for the great photos from Les Halles Barb
Do they heat up the quiches and such if you ask them to?

Yep, that's not a problem! Cold quiche would not be good. :sad2:

i so need to:thumbsup2 try the ham and cheese

Would that be the ham and cheese baguette or ham and cheese croissant? Or maybe both? :)

Wow your delicious photos are just amazing! We haven't tried the new bakery yet, but the selections just look incredible. December can't come soon enough for our next trip in indulge.

Thanks Lori! Oh, and any news yet? ;)

Wow - such a comprehensive update from Les Halles! I really like the raspberry macaron with lime cream, but there are some different ones I'd love to try (such as the palmier and frangipane).

Yes, a very comprehensive review...there will be a test on all the French names later on in my dining report. :laughing:

As I sat and enjoyed my bacon and cheese roll at one of the indoor tables by Les Halles, I noticed that the surrounding tables were quickly being filled by lunch customers. So even though it was still raining outside, I decided it was time for me to give up my dry table and chair and move on. :worried: I still had a couple of hours before my lunch ADR, so with the rain washing out my plans to visit more of the F & G food booths, I had a lot of time to kill. :scratchin Hmmm...I need refuge from the rain, preferably somewhere between France and Canada (where I was going for lunch), and a drink, snack, and chair to sit down would be a definite bonus. ;)

Yep, the Rose & Crown Pub fit the bill perfectly! :thumbsup2 I sent Paula (smile4stamps) a text to see if they might be interested in meeting me there and was happy to get a positive response. I also heard from Beth (Couchy) that she had arrived at the Swan and would soon be heading over to Epcot to join us at the pub. Yay...I wouldn't have to drink alone! :woohoo:

I was the first of our group to arrive at the very busy pub, as apparently I was not the only one with the idea of seeking sanctuary there. :laughing: However, after only about a 5 minute wait I noticed a table of four seated right next to the bar were preparing to leave. I pounced like a hungry cat on a mouse and by the time that Paula and Hunter arrived I had successfully captured my prey...um, I mean table. ;)

Paula ordered our drinks at the bar while Hunter and I guarded our table. She also ordered a snack, for which she was given a number to place on our table.

Soon Beth arrived and the four of us enjoyed our drinks, as well as each other's company. :goodvibes

Regarding my drink choice, on my previous three or four visits to the R & C Pub I had always shared the Imperial Sampler...

I use the term "shared" here loosely, as I always laid claim to the Strongbow cider and left the nasty beer to my companions. {Sorry beer lovers, but most beers taste way too "hoppy" or "earthy"....like they are laced with dirt. :laughing:} But I digress, so getting back now to the current topic...my drink choice. My first thought was to have Paula order my go-to drink, the Strongbow cider, but then I remembered something that had come to my attention during my stint as the host of the Live Thread. (Sorry, but I don't recall who exactly to credit for this one. :confused3)

Cider & Black - Hard Cider and Black Currant Juice

I loved this! The black currant added more sweetness to the hard cider, making it taste like a fruity cocktail...which is right up my alley. :thumbsup2

Soon the snack that Paula had ordered was delivered to our table...

Scotch Egg - Golden-fried Hard-boiled Egg wrapped in Sausage Meat with Mustard Sauce

Paula and Hunter were kind enough to share this, which made me very happy since it is one of my Rose & Crown favorites. But because they were treating on this one, I didn't feel like I should manhandle it in order to get a better photo of the inside of the egg. :laughing: So here is a recycled photo from my last visit to the Rose & Crown, which was for lunch in Dec. 2013...

This gives you a better idea of what this looks like. As far as taste goes, I can assure you that the Rose & Crown's Scotch Egg is delicious...especially when you add some of the mustard sauce which is served with it. I don't generally care for mustard on anything, but in this case I'm glad I made an exception.

Soon it was time for Paula, Hunter, and Beth to meet Brenda and Michael for lunch at Chefs de France, so I was left alone at the table to finish up my drink. A gentleman asked if he and his wife could share my table and I had no problem with granting his request. But then more of their family members arrived and were standing around our table. I began to feel a bit awkward and out-of-place :crowded:, and decided it was time to relinquish my claim on this prime piece of real estate inside the Rose & Crown Pub. So I quickly downed the rest of my liquid courage :drinking1 and said my goodbyes to my loved ones (aka the group of strangers at my table). :laughing: Wearing my protective gear (aka my new Mickey poncho) and armed with only a broken umbrella, I set off for the Canadian wilderness in search of my next meal. Would it be elk, bear, moose or perhaps the wildest of all game...the corn-fed Canadian cow? ;)

Next up: Lunch at Le Cellier

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter