I have sooo much money in my pocket!

I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal for lunch. It's warm, yummy and easy to store in my desk. I usually bring an orange everyday. But I also bring hard boiled eggs, swiss cheese (my favorite) and yogurt to keep in the fridge at work.

We are lucky to have a kitchen on our floor and we make our own coffee in the morning--if you want coffee you just have to contribute a can of coffee and filters every once in a while.

We also have a microwave and hot shot pot for my oatmeal or tea. My co-workers all bring their own lunch everyday. My work friends and I eat at noon and bring our crafts, knitting, crocheting, etc. It's a nice break.

Monday, Tuesday & Thursday - I take my lunch to work.

Wednesday - Is our weekly girls' lunch out (a nice treat!)

Friday - I don't work on Fridays so I usually eat at home unless I am out running errands then I'll grab a bite to eat.

hi,
I have had many conversions with the gals from the office on this topic..
and yes I have read thru the whole thread... its all nice and $$ saving...
but the concensus with the gals I work with... we go out about twice /week...but its all about the social aspect of it ... getting out...
catching up.... breathing some different air other than the office air all day ...
I was all for NOT going out to eat.. but then I felt.... heck.. I (we) deserve
to treat ourselves !!

have a great lunch.

I gradually changed to a healthier lifestyle about 8 years ago. Heathier, mind, not absolutely healthy! Still love the occasional junk food! *LOL*

Most weekends you'll find me prepping lunches for the following week. Fresh and/or fozen or canned produce, bread for sandwiches, etc. I don't really spend that much time on it, and my daily food (lunch & 2 snacks) average about $2 per day. Some days more, others less. Depends on what's in season, what's on sale and what I like! :)

If I were to buy typical drive-through stuff it would cost me at least $5 per day, healthier stuff is $7 plus. That feels pretty good when I compare costs.

If my colleagues can decide a week in advance, I'll usually go out to lunch with them once or twice a month. That wipes out some savings, but it's good to socialize occasionally.

wow years ago I tried packing lunches for DH and myself. We worked in same city and DH would come down to my office and we'd eat together. that was many moons ago as I have been a SAHM for 20plus years now.

Here is what inevitablly happened. I was the one who had to carry the lunch in with me. Around 10am my coworker would ask what's for lunch to day? I'm hungry how about you? and we would eat at least half of the lunch right there on the spot! :rotfl: My poor DH would come down for lunch and find most of it gone! so then we would "pick up something" to supplement.

Guess what? that lunch packing thing? just never worked out for me! :confused3

DH now has lunch with clients or on the run most of week. On a rare day he is in the office for lunch hour and knows ahead, he will take leftovers out of fridge in the am and have them for lunch . . .at around 10am!

since I homeschool we also eat left overs and easy to fix at home not so easy to send to school type things. That is on days I/we are not out running errends or what have you, then we definitely just pick up something. taking lunches along in car with us? guess what happens? we eat them by 10am :rotfl:

I'm seeing a pattern here!

I used to eat out at least 3 days per week, sometimes 5! Then my coworker moved away and I had to stop cold turkey! :lmao: It saved me at least $25 per week. that's a bunch of money over a year! With my schedule I could go in after lunch so I would eat at home and then go in. This year I have to be earlier so I've been packing and it ranges from frozen stuff to left overs to sandwiches or salads. I get to go out about once a month now and that's enough to keep me happy.

With prices for school lunch at $3.50-$3.75, I let DS pick day per week to have school lunch and pack his lunch the remainder of the week. Likewise, he's allowed to buy ice cream at school on Fridays (many kids get ice cream every day :rolleyes: ).

We've cut eating out to once every other week. Also, we're having one or two nights a week where we eat leftovers for dinner.

We've been working on cutting our food waste by trying to eat leftovers before they go bad and cutting the portion sizes I serve to the kids. We've been saving roughly $100-$200 a month just from food that would've been wasted.

We just started something fun. There are 6 of us in my group at work. Every Thursday someone cooks a meal (last week it was curry) and brings it in for everyone. So it's kinda like eating out but all it costs you is ingredients 1 out of 6 weeks. So far, so good!

I bring food for lunch now too (except for one taco meal a week at $5) and I am saving $100 a month with no increase to my regular grocery bill. I am just throwing away a LOT less food!

we have refridges at work, I take mine 5 days a week and have for over a year. One Monday, I bring in 5 frozen meals, 5 yogarts, 5 waters, 5 snacks. I dont spend a dime on food at work :) I used to do take out with the crew once a week, they do all 5 :scared1: But I tell ya, I lost 20 lbs by not eating take out at work! :thumbsup2 Its a win win!

I work in a grocery store, so I started bringing my lunch to avoid the temptation of the snack aisle and the power of the twinkies. But it does help me save a bunch. Every once in awhile, I do splurge on some salads, fruit, or hot foods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter