I have just declared GROCERY EXILE to my family.....

It's just the two of us, but we spend a fortune on food every month (like a mortgage payment). We do so well on every other area of our budget, except for this one. It drives me crazy. We both work long, crazy fluctuating hours sometimes 7 days a week until 8 p.m. We end up going out to eat, then hitting the grocery store when we're full and buy nothing but salads and healthy stuff, which is all in the trash a week later. It doesn't help that I'm vegetarian and he's a low-carber so menu planning is never easy.

We spend way too much at the grocery store too and my hubby loves to come with me when I shop! He takes control of the grocery cart and is very much a "social butterfly" while we shop, makes me crazy. Can't tell you how often I turn around to put something in the cart only to find it isn't my cart of my husband, he's taken off to parts unknown!! I took him once just so he could see how expensive it really is for groceries these days thinking he wouldn't want to go back, I was wrong! Even when I tell him I have a list and we are sticking to it, we don't!

Every 6 months or so I go on a grocery strike and buy nothing but milk, veggies and bread so we are forced to use up a lot of our existing stock. Can't even tell you how many times I've heard the "there's nothing to eat" whine when in reality, you couldn't fit another item in our pantry. Also, I tend to cook in batches and to buy a lot of bogo sales for meats so we have a freezer full of sauce, meatballs and casseroles as well as roasts, chicken breasts etc.

We could save a ton by not eating out and not ordering take out but honestly, I enjoy the once or twice per week break from cooking and cleaning up, especially when it's been a particularly long day at work.

This could have been written by me. We have 2 tall cupboards filled with food yet last month while I was waiting for payday to buy eggs went out for breakfast twice because we were out of eggs. I have found that I have changed my shopping habits over the last year. I have been using less coupons and saving more. It is not a good deal if none will eat it.

This could have been written by me. We have 2 tall cupboards filled with food yet last month while I was waiting for payday to buy eggs went out for breakfast twice because we were out of eggs. I have found that I have changed my shopping habits over the last year. I have been using less coupons and saving more. It is not a good deal if none will eat it.

that made me lol

I love when people us the excuse of Im to busy to cook, but go out or do pick up.

By the time you drive there, wait to be seated, eat, drive home. You could have cooked, eaten and cleaned up.

Lets call it what it is Laziness of not wanting to cook/clean.

Your hubby sounds like mine. I don't like bringing him or the kids grocery shopping with me because it always costs more. I find I'm so busy lately I haven't had time to do the big grocery shops and meal planning (or getting stuff ready on Sunday for the week). Then I send hubby to the store for a couple of things and he always throws in the junk. Oh, cookies on sale. How about a pie? Oh, we need chips to watch a movie later. Ugh!

We spend way too much at the grocery store too and my hubby loves to come with me when I shop! He takes control of the grocery cart and is very much a "social butterfly" while we shop, makes me crazy. Can't tell you how often I turn around to put something in the cart only to find it isn't my cart of my husband, he's taken off to parts unknown!! I took him once just so he could see how expensive it really is for groceries these days thinking he wouldn't want to go back, I was wrong! Even when I tell him I have a list and we are sticking to it, we don't!

I lose my husband EVERY SINGLE WEEK. We both wear fitbits and I swear that he is running up and down the aisles. LOL No he just LOVES TO GROCERY SHOP. I have no idea why either. I despise it. I added up all the crap he bought last week for HIS SNACK STASH and it was 40 bucks SMH!!!!

Oh but one thing I do..... is I transfer over to our DISNEY FUND whatever the coupon amount is that we saved each week. I have been doing this for years, however I feel my husband is defeating the purpose when he thinks we NEED TO PURCHASE stuff we don't truly need in order to USE A COUPON. At our commissary they put out tons of coupons hanging on shelves and when my hubby sees them..... well he just thinks it is a bargain.

I love when people us the excuse of Im to busy to cook, but go out or do pick up.

By the time you drive there, wait to be seated, eat, drive home. You could have cooked, eaten and cleaned up.

Honestly this depends on where you go out to, or if you actually go out or order in.

There are at least two places that has a grab and go meal of an entree, salad, and rolls most weeknights here. Chinese food or pizza can be ordered in. Subway or Panera on the way home that could be picked up.

Those are the options when I don't have time to cook. Well if I didn't plan ahead with something in the fridge that will practically cook itself. (So on the day where a meeting gets sprung on me last minute and I work late).

Places where you go, sit down, order food, wait for it to come to you... yeah those are only done on the weekends.

I'm another one who does this every couple of months to try to pare down my stash. My problem is that I can't just buy one of something. I do menu plan and I'm fairly good at sticking to my list (although I always end up buying more than what's on my list because of the stuff I buy regularly that I might not need immediately, but may need soon and I wouldn't want to have to have another trip just for that thing so...it's a never ending cycle).

DS and I are going to have grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner one night? Well, I better buy at least two cans of tomato soup!! Yes, it will get eaten eventually, but I certainly didn't NEED to buy it that day. Compound that with everything else I guy and all of my meal plans and my pantry gets filled to the brim!!!

So every couple of months I only buy fresh fruits and veggies and milk (I'm a bread freezer so I usually have several loaves to use because of course that doesn't stop me from buying it weekly).

We got this problem under control in a few ways. One was that we started going on trips and wanted to pair down the food budget for the trip budget. We also got real and realized we were using food shopping as entertainment. It was a mental thing. Grocery shopping should not be the fun for the week. It doesn't have to be miserable but if you are looking at it like "Wheeeee.. I get to go to the grocery store!" you've got yourself a problem.

Like the previous poster suggested .. save that money for another hobby or interest and directly relate the two. It will make it much easier to pass up things you don't really need.

We always start to decrease food spending before a trip. It helps economically. I also like that I can clean out the frig, etc. I like to leave a clean house. Plus I think it makes us appreciate our vacation dining more!

Our grocery budget is $1100 a month for a family of 5.

Wait for it...

5 CELIACs!!! Yes. That means, no wheat containing products. No pre made anything. meatballs, pasta, etc.

I literally, actually, cried for 6 weeks after the diagnosis. I know we will all feel better, but it means WE CAN'T EAT OUT DAILY anymore. (not that we should have been, but....)

Just to let you know, there's a TON of pre-made gluten free products on the market including pizza, chicken tenders, mac & cheese, pasta and soups. I'm GF, as well as a host of food allergies, and there's still pre-made stuff I can pick up to toss in the microwave when I don't want to cook.

I see your point about the time issue but when someone claims to be too busy to cook it doesn't always mean it's a time issue. I get too busy to cook because I literally only have 60 minutes in my day not accounted for and choose not to spend it cooking, not to mention the time commitment behind meal planning. Or maybe I got too busy to remember to defrost something on time. Those of us "too lazy" are probably over extended due to issues you know nothing about. Not everyone enjoys cooking or can spend their day tinkering around the house wondering what they'll cook tonight! I'm sorry but your statement was very judgmental of others. :mad:

Last edited:
I see your point about the time issue but when someone claims to be too busy to cook it doesn't always mean it's a time issue. I get too busy to cook because I literally only have 60 minutes in my day not accounted for and choose not to spend it cooking, not to mention the time commitment behind meal planning. Or maybe I got too busy to remember to defrost something on time. Those of us "too lazy" are probably over extended due to issues you know nothing about. Not everyone enjoys cooking or can spend their day tinkering around the house wondering what they'll cook tonight! I'm sorry but your statement was very judgmental of others. :mad:

Its wasn't meant judgmental. sorry if you personally felt judged. I happen to work full time at a psychical demanding job and often want to drop dead the min I walk in the door. So I get "too lazy" too.

Just think its strange that people say they don't have the time to cook, but do have the time for take out or going out to eat.

I am not too sure exactly how much a spend a month on just groceries. I have a budget of $500 but that includes food, household needs, personal needs, and stuff for the cats (food/litter). Today I spent $50 at the grocery for example, but next week will be a bit higher since I am low on a few staples (but the upside is my meal plan has me only needing to buy one "meat" item for the whole month since my freezer is stocked thanks to sales this past month).

I do my meal plans a month at a time based off of what is in my freezer and what I want to make. I do many meals that leave me leftovers for 2-3 days which also helps to save money.

One thing I could work on is going out. Maybe allow myself 2x a month to go out or order in. Then I can look forward to it so I won't do it at random.

I can relate to how you feel. My coupon loving husband often buys food we will never eat or don't need because it's a good deal. He loves to shop and stops at the grocery store almost daily. So while I reign it in he lets loose.

It's a great idea to try to use what you've got though. :thumbsup2
I think that is an awesome idea - we are trying to eat healthier too so I think I will propose this challenge

I LOVE grocery shopping! I am my worst enemy. I have been sick, so I have been sending my husband to the grocery store. He sticks to the list and only gets one or two things off the list. I can have my list and spend an additional $20-$30! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter