I have a WONDERful feeling about this! 2015 WB Panama Canal Trip Report, Completed 6/14/15

I am loving this TR! thank you for sharing :goodvibes

I just wanted to say I agree with you about the Pirate night menu - It is actually my favourite of the MDR menus and I still dream of that steak (my last pirate night was almost 2 years ago :sad1: so shows how great it is)

Thanks!

I was surprised when so many people said they skip that night... the food is so tasty! I'll never skip pirate night.

Your sons are just adorable, I love your Oliver's pirate costume! I'm so glad he was safe & sound in the lab!

Your sons are just adorable, I love your Oliver's pirate costume! I'm so glad he was safe & sound in the lab!

Thank you! They are pretty darn good kids! And me, too... if I ever let him out of my sight again and can't find him, I'll check with the clubs right away.

Day Ten Navigator

18506988532_4df486d8d6_b.jpg

18323613698_79c59e90fd_b.jpg

17890669023_380017253e_b.jpg

17888660644_45de6059a7_b.jpg

18323650560_6a0e4fe423_b.jpg
18513259611_e87ab151c9_b.jpg

Day Ten (May10, At Sea)

Today was Mother's Day, and I had brunch planned at Palo at 10 with three other mothers from the cruise group. The kids and I slept in and since we kept the navigation channel on at night, I noticed right when we woke up that we'd made a sharp right turn off of our planned route and were heading straight at Guatemala. That seemed weird, but it didn't concern me too much. We lazed around until it occurred to me that we were going to run out of time for the boys to have something to eat. We went up to the buffet so that they could grab something and then I dropped them off at the Lab.

I got to Palo just before 10 and met up with Cindy, Kathleen, and Marta outside. We had decided that we'd each wear something to do with our favorite Disney character, but that was hard for me. I have too many! I ended up wearing my Elliott (the dragon) and Oliver (and Company) pins in honor of Mother's Day. As usual, the brunch at Palo was amazing and we ate pretty much everything.

17681498480_4681242f35_b.jpg

First our server, Hristo, gave us the standard tour of the different stations – seafood, breads, antipasto, desserts. It is all so good! I tried not to be too gluttonous, but it was hard! The one good thing is that I don't care for seafood so that eliminates an entire table. I don't know how I could do it if I had even more options!

17682774940_37c7681659.jpg

One of the ladies had been to Palo dinner recently and had really enjoyed a balsamic vinegar they'd been served. Hristo checked and found that the particular balsamic was inaccessible at breakfast, but he brought out a very good balsamic reduction instead. He even brought me a plate of mozzarella to have with it. Very tasty!

17870825521_4366dd4c1b.jpg

At some point an announcement was made that we were diverting to Guatemala so that a person with a medical emergency could disembark. They said that we would be staying offshore and a boat would be coming out to meet us and take the passenger, their family, and a couple of crew members ashore. We would have to wait until the crew members finished handling everything and then get clearance to leave, which should all take several hours.

When we caught sight of Guatemala we went outside to take a few pictures. It wasn't particularly picturesque, but it's probably as close as I'll ever get to Guatemala.

17867355162_2fa47cf86e.jpg

17869543921_5e62a143ed_b.jpg

After we were done taking pictures we went back to get some desserts and ordered some hot items from the menu.

17843940176_56285c263f.jpg

We asked Hristo if we could try all the pizzas (except the spicy sausage), so he brought out the rest as half-and-halves. I also asked for a grape and gorgonzola without the grape. I'm a huge fan of blue cheese pizzas, but last time I didn't care much for the grapes and they leave behind a lot of juice if you try to take them off.

17870788011_11074fb74f.jpg

Hristo also brought us each a very small portion of the chicken Parmesan. Thank goodness, because I could never eat a regular portion of that! It's so rich, but it sure is delicious.

17870265585_9a617c172b.jpg

It was a lot of fun getting to know some new people over brunch. I am so glad I did it! I highly recommend that solo travelers and single parents spend some time in their cruise meet groups. It can be a great resource for meeting other people before you even set foot on the ship!

After brunch I went to the Lab to see if the kids wanted to do something. Elliott wanted to stay there, but Oliver wanted to hang out for a while. We went to deck 4 and played some shuffleboard, took some pictures of Guatemala, wandered the ship a bit, and then I took Oliver to get some lunch at the buffet.

17841079466_19705556e1_b.jpg

17679894460_cceabdc542_b.jpg

17249822883_1166b918db_b.jpg

17246987943_495e3e52f9_b.jpg

17247690814_6478751d92_b.jpg

17679867220_2deae515e8_b.jpg

At some point I dragged him into a bathroom to scrub off the vestiges of pirate eyebrows that remained after last night.

It was almost time for Disney Tunes trivia, and Oliver didn't want to play, so I dropped him back off at the Lab. I went down to the Promenade Lounge and joined up with Joe, Andrea, and Kari. We won, 43/45! Joe invited me to join a group that was going to dinner at Palo the next night for Andrea's birthday. I just needed to double-check our schedule, but that sounded like a lot of fun! I had a reservation for one the night after that, which definitely wasn't as nice as eating with friends. Luckily, everything looked good and it was just a matter of letting Joe and Palo know!

There was a big announcement over the PA system from Clayton – we were going to be the first guests to see all of the Frozen festivities, including the deck party! We had known for quite a while that we'd be getting to try the Frozen night menu, and the “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” activity had been showing for the kids since day one, but apparently we were going to be getting quite a bit more than that, starting with a 3-day scavenger hunt that would begin the next morning. Fun!

I got the boys from the Lab and we went up to get an ice cream cone, then I left them under strict “don't touch your brother or get up” orders in chairs outside the adult area so that I could run into the Cove Cafe for an iced latte. Elliott took himself back to the Lab and Ollie and I hung out in the room for a while, watching movies and reading. I also used the MagicJack app on my phone to give my mom a call. Luckily she picked up and we were able to chat for a while!

Soon enough it was time to get ready for dinner, so we picked Elliott up on the way to Triton's. Tonight was the rotational menu there, which I love. Both boys got the mini burgers, which were obviously a popular hit with them.

17681135539_a48820635d_b.jpg

17679856670_a0b230f157_b.jpg

I ordered the Onion Soup Gratinee and the Chateaubriand-roasted Filet Steak. That was a very good steak! I was starting to get really spoiled!

17679851460_953631f10a.jpg

Elliott, as usual, got bored waiting for my food to arrive, and he headed off to the Lab. Oliver had his favorite, strawberry ice cream, for dessert, and I ordered the Grand Marnier souffle. Next time Ollie will have to get a souffle, because he loved mine.

Tonight Oliver came up with an idea for a dining room parade, which he shared with Beata in great detail. It involved a lot of spoons – the server would wear clothing made of spoons (which he changed to spoon-print after Beata pointed out how uncomfortable and noisy that would be) and they'd parade around the dining room with spoons on their noses. He was convinced this could be ready to go by the next night.

17246955503_284290e8c8.jpg

The Stitch Club invited us to go to the pool with the after dinner. I told the kids we could go for a half-hour, since I wanted to have some Mother's Day reading time, and I wouldn't let them go into the big pool without me. We went to get changed into our suits and then hopped into the pool, or “kid soup” as I think of it. We swam and watched The Incredibles on Funnelvision for a while. Ollie hung out by me while Elliott played with his friends. It was fun, but soon it was time to head back to our room for some quiet time.

In the room we found that our towel “animal” was a rose, in honor of Mother's Day. And instead of the regular chocolates there were Ghirardelli ones. Yum!

17682375178_6a72ac2c0c.jpg

17683915989_59b9c93a39.jpg

We also found the information about the scavenger hunt, Anna's Chocolate Chase. Each day, for three days, three clues would be placed in the Navigator.

17681103599_0eae4c6bb0_b.jpg

17679541138_b9119d7264_b.jpg

Oliver also got a certificate declaring him to be Ariel's best friend. Certifiably.

17518607533_b6d31df73c.jpg

After eating our chocolates we put a movie on TV while I read my book. It had been a very nice Mother's Day - I can't think of anywhere I'd rather have been!

Just joining in and loving your report. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to write all of it. We are booked for the 2016 WBTA (DW and I) and reading your report is a lot of pre-fun!

I loved the Palo Brunch on the Magic! Looks like you all had a fabulous Mother's day! How lucky you got to experience the Frozen festivities on board? I'm excited to hear all about it! Mmm...chocolate chase? Sign me up!

Hi Erin!

Sorry for what you had to endure with your husband. Glad you were able to take this trip.

I too was on this trip. I am a bit of a recluse/introvert especially if I have to meet large amounts of new people so I just never made any real effort to meet anyone from these boards (those I ran across were SO nice) but wish I'd met your family.

Love that you have scanned in all the Navigators.

Great TR so far! I like how you go into to enough detail to make us feel like we're there with you, without telling us EVERY detail of the whole day (like some TRs do.) Also appreciate your honesty (like about social situations.) Thanks for sharing!

We love Hristo at Palo. He's been our Palo server for both Wonder cruises. We were thrilled to see him when we went to Palo since it had been 5 years since last time. He was the first crew member we saw on the Wonder that we knew from a past cruise. Towards the end of the cruise we then were surprised when our asst server from last fall on fantasy came running up to us to say hi.

Just joining in and loving your report. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to write all of it. We are booked for the 2016 WBTA (DW and I) and reading your report is a lot of pre-fun!

Thanks! The longer cruise was just so wonderful. It felt great not having to cram activities into every minute and having whole days where there were only one or two things I wanted to do. Lots more relaxation, plus all of the extra things they put in to fill up the time makes it extra special!

I loved the Palo Brunch on the Magic! Looks like you all had a fabulous Mother's day! How lucky you got to experience the Frozen festivities on board? I'm excited to hear all about it! Mmm...chocolate chase? Sign me up!

It really was a great Mother's Day. And we were really excited to have all of the Frozen activities. We had known there would be a sample, but had only been wishfully hoping for the whole shebang!

Hi Erin!

Sorry for what you had to endure with your husband. Glad you were able to take this trip.

I too was on this trip. I am a bit of a recluse/introvert especially if I have to meet large amounts of new people so I just never made any real effort to meet anyone from these boards (those I ran across were SO nice) but wish I'd met your family.

Love that you have scanned in all the Navigators.

Hi! Thank you... this trip meant the world to us.

I understand completely, as I am very shy and a bit of an introvert. I've learned to push through it sometimes, but it is so hard! And with large groups (like at the meet and greet) it gets too overwhelming for me. I did better at the pub crawl, since I'd already met a few people one-on-one (or, two-on-one as the case may be). If we ever sail together again, though, look for us! Once I get past my initial shyness I am fine. :)

Great TR so far! I like how you go into to enough detail to make us feel like we're there with you, without telling us EVERY detail of the whole day (like some TRs do.) Also appreciate your honesty (like about social situations.) Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! I am trying to put in enough information to help out future cruisers without getting too boring, while also giving a real feel for our trip. I particularly hope that it helps out other single parent cruisers. I was so nervous before we left! I really appreciate your kind words!

We love Hristo at Palo. He's been our Palo server for both Wonder cruises. We were thrilled to see him when we went to Palo since it had been 5 years since last time. He was the first crew member we saw on the Wonder that we knew from a past cruise. Towards the end of the cruise we then were surprised when our asst server from last fall on fantasy came running up to us to say hi.

You were at Palo one of the times I was there - Mother's Day brunch?? I saw you across the room and then I lost sight of you before I could go say hi! Hristo was great, and he totally hooked me up (in a way I'm not going into, because I don't want to contribute to the whole "I heard you did this for someone and so now you shall do it for me" thing that tends to happen!) I can't believe the memories on some of these people. I can't even remember the name of a person I just met, let alone someone I met for a couple of hours, months or years ago!

Hi Erin!! I didn't realize you were a Dis'er until you subscribed to my TR

Hi! Yup, I don't post a ton, but I do like to read the boards and contribute where I can. :)

Day Eleven (May 11, At Sea)

We slept in again and then decided to do the buffet at Parrot Cay for breakfast. It's the same food as up in Beach Blanket, but they bring around pastries and take your drink orders rather than that being self-serve. That was nice, since I'm the fetcher.

I wanted to go up to Palo to make sure the reservation changes were in order. They confirmed that I had been added to dinner with Joe and Andrea's group that night, and allowed me to cancel the solo reservation I'd had for the following night. I made the kids stay back by the elevator and tried to keep it quick, since I was not dressed in Palo-esque attire and didn't want to ruin the ambiance if people started to arrive while I was there! Luckily it was very quick and we were able to head back down.

Elliott wanted to check out the open house in Edge, which happened from 10-12 and 6-8 every day. The three of us went down to deck 2 to give it a shot. It was basically a big room with some tables for doing crafts or playing board games and comfy chairs gathered around a couple of TVs with video game systems. Smaller TVs with game systems dotted the edge of the room and a large TV on the side was playing music videos. To me it seemed like there would be less to do than at the Lab, but apparently Elliott disagreed, because he wanted to stay.

Team trivia was starting up soon, so I let Elliott stay behind under strict orders to remain until I came back to retrieve him. Poor Ollie was forced to come with me, because six is just too young to be left there alone. Team trivia was fun, with Ollie as my teammate again. As usual he was amusing the people around us, making friends. We didn't win, but it's always fun.

When trivia was over we picked Elliott up (he wasn't thrilled) and he headed off to the Lab while Oliver and I got lunch at the buffet. We ate at a table right along the railing in the back because we'd heard that people had seen a whale, dolphins, flying fish, and sea turtles that morning. I hadn't seen any sealife so far, and I was determined to do so! There was a couple at the table next to us who were also watching the sea, and the man helped us find some turtles so we'd know what to look for. And right before we finished up and left, a small pod of dolphins showed up!

I had forgotten to grab my sunglasses and it was hot out in the sun, so we decided to go down to deck 4 to do some more sea-watching. It was much more comfortable down there and being closer to the water and the front of the ship made it easier to spot turtles. We saw a ton of them, moving along in the currents created by the ship, swimming a ways out, and diving down. We learned to look for sea birds as they often hovered near dolphins, hoping to get a stray fish. I even saw some flying fish right down next to the ship – so cool! The sea was so calm that it was very easy to spot animals. Any movement beyond the waves and things created by the ship was definitely something.

17870150635_a7c03cf469.jpg

We ran into Pluto being walked by his handler, and he stopped to spend some time with Ollie.

17864428522_911723e9eb.jpg
17867849191_36ab0e5d4d.jpg

It was time for Ultimate Disney Trivia, which was listed as being for adults, but we ran into Mari and Jeff who said they were bringing the kids with them. Oliver said he wanted to go, so I told him we'd check it out. When we got to Diversions there were actually quite a few children there, so I let him stay.

A whole bunch of our friends showed up, so we created a big team, though Mari and Jeff went to another table and played against us. This one was so hard. Andy, who ran the trivia, said that the average score was incredibly low for this particular trivia, and I believe him. It was done in sections and two of the sections were parks (which is always heavily Disney World, which we don't know at all) and years. Years are really hard. We didn't win, but we did very well, all things considered!

After trivia ended, Oliver wanted to go to the Lab and I was considering going to Obscurity trivia, which is very confusing. It's like Family Feud meets golf. They give you a question which has been presented to, say, 100 people. Then you are given six answers from which to choose, many of which are correct. An example question is, “Name a type of tea.” The answers range from the obvious (black, green) to the correct, but tricky (gunpowder), and then the totally made-up. You need to choose the answer that is a correct answer but which the fewest people had given (preferably zero). If you choose one of the 1-2 incorrect answers you get a a ton of points or it knocks you out or something. At the end, the team with the fewest points wins.

Anyway! I didn't see anyone I knew at a quick glance, because my regular trivia partners were all at that day's princess tea party. I decided to read for a while instead, and then I went to get the boys for an ice cream cone and some sea-watching. We also completed the first set of clues for Anna's Chocolate Chase.

Elliott was cranky about going to stare at the ocean, but as soon as we saw our first turtle, and shortly thereafter a pod of dolphins, he was all about it. I knew he would be – he is a major animal lover. The kids played some pseudo-shuffleboard while I tried (and failed) to get some pictures of sea turtles. I did end up with a couple of cool shots of the water churning up next to the ship.

17683894429_c418114024.jpg

17867837601_d6ddaae903.jpg

Both boys started to get a bit cranky and it was revealed that now that Elliott has had a taste of Edge, he no longer wishes to go to the Lab. It's for babies. The kids had been very well-behaved for the most part, so far, but this was a bit of a challenge. I had reservations at Palo that night, which required the boys to go to the Lab. I thought that Elliott might kick up enough of a fuss that I would not be able to go, but we sat down to talk it out and it worked out. I explained that if he refused to go, he most definitely wouldn't be setting foot back in Edge and he'd be stuck going to a lot of trivia and watching me read. I was happy to let him go to Edge during the daily open house periods, as long as he went off to the Lab when necessary. After that it was a non-issue and he returned to his normal Lab-going schedule, while spending some time at Edge.

I got dressed up and took another hair picture in the mirror, which again serves as the only proof of my existence that night. I know the photographer took a shot of the ladies... if any of you reading has that photo, would you mind sharing it?? I forgot to go into the “lost shots” folder to check it out.

17246507494_027752047e.jpg

Shortly before 6:00 I dropped the kids off at the Lab and went up to Palo to meet up with the rest of the group: Joe and Andrea (whose birthday we were celebrating), Joe and Mari, and Sally and Scott. This was a great group of people with whom to have dinner. Very chill and friendly and they didn't make me feel a bit awkward at being solo. I didn't break out the camera very much, but I did take a couple of shots.

First, our server brought out plates of antipasto. I chose some prosciutto, bresaola, parmesan with balsamic vinegar, roasted peppers, and delicious bread. I could have just noshed on that for dinner! I ordered a Chambord mojito martini, which was delicious.

For my starter, I ordered the Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese. Oh my goodness, I absolutely loved this. It was a very creamy soup with little bursts of cheese. The prosciutto was toasted, but it softened up while I ate the soup and was a wonderful complement. I want this recipe, if anyone has it!

For my main course I was really torn. Of course I was going to have the steak (Beef Tenderloin “Palo,” topped with melted Gorgonzola or Barolo red wine sauce), but they threw me for a loop when they told me they had a new experience to offer. For a $55 upgrade you could get 3 ounces of Wagyu beef along with 3 ounces of the standard tenderloin – a fancy taste test. Or, for $110 you could get 6 ounces of Wagyu for the ultimate steak experience. This was a real temptation, as I've never had Wagyu or Kobe beef and obviously I'm a major steak fan.

In the end I decided that the regular menu version would suffice and I asked for it to be brought with both the Gorgonzola and the wine sauce. It was delicious. And I have my eye on a domestic Kobe steak down at our local grocery, at $25 per pound. Something to which to look forward!

17682313838_9a42eed221.jpg

For dessert everyone requested the chocolate souffle, which had to be ordered a half-hour in advance due to the long preparation time. They even made a gluten-free version for Mari, which was wonderful! They were so accommodating. Our server asked how I'd like the souffle (regarding sauces and ice cream), and I told him that I'd take it as he thought it was best served. That involved making a hole in the top into which he poured the chocolate and vanilla sauces. Finally, he plopped in the small scoop of vanilla gelato into the hole. This was truly delicious. I do wish I'd have also asked to try the panna cotta, as I am sure it is wonderful. Maybe next time!

17682577020_bd94bc3898.jpg

The meal concluded with a limoncello sorbet, which was a lovely palate cleanser.

After we finished up our wonderful dinner, I picked the kids up from the Lab and we spent the rest of the evening watching movies in our room. The next day was going to be busy – they were trying to make up for missing Puerto Vallarta!

Last edited:
Now that I have finally read in detail you TR up until now.....

I had taken a bunch of bug spray and after bite creams for the mosquitoes and did not get ONE bite!!!! Sorry you got so bit up.

What a panick with Oliver on Pirates night! Glad it wound up ok. Even though it is Disney, one never really knows what could happen. My nephew was eleven when I last took him to WDW and he said he could get back to the resort by himself. No way was he going to convince me!!! We took a cruise on the Wonder that trip too and he said he could do things on his own on the ship. I told him if he could lead us back to the room he could wonder by himself. He could not find the room so he did not get to roam alone! Which I as glad about, of course I knew he wasn't ready (some eleven year olds are but I knew he wasn't) but this let him know it too.

I loved obscurity trivia and played it al but the first and last days.

I tried Palo dinner for the first time this cruise. I love the main dining rooms so it was always hard to give up a night in them on a "short" week long cruise!! Didnt you just love the chocolate soufflé!!

Looking forward to more!!!

Now that I have finally read in detail you TR up until now.....

I had taken a bunch of bug spray and after bite creams for the mosquitoes and did not get ONE bite!!!! Sorry you got so bit up.

What a panick with Oliver on Pirates night! Glad it wound up ok. Even though it is Disney, one never really knows what could happen. My nephew was eleven when I last took him to WDW and he said he could get back to the resort by himself. No way was he going to convince me!!! We took a cruise on the Wonder that trip too and he said he could do things on his own on the ship. I told him if he could lead us back to the room he could wonder by himself. He could not find the room so he did not get to roam alone! Which I as glad about, of course I knew he wasn't ready (some eleven year olds are but I knew he wasn't) but this let him know it too.

I loved obscurity trivia and played it al but the first and last days.

I tried Palo dinner for the first time this cruise. I love the main dining rooms so it was always hard to give up a night in them on a "short" week long cruise!! Didnt you just love the chocolate soufflé!!

Looking forward to more!!!

I had so many types of bug spray, but I forgot that I might need it that day! I put some on after I realized I was bitten up, but by then it was just too late. So annoying!

It was so scary when I lost Oliver. I just kept imagining the worst! Normally I am the one that holds it together in every situation, but my imagination took over that night and I lost my ability to reason. Thank goodness everything was fine in the end, and I am sure I will always know exactly what to do if something like that ever happens again! If I ever let him out of my sight!

The souffle was so good! I wish I could have brought a couple of them back to the kids, because I know they both would have loved it.

Day Twelve (May 12, Puerto Vallarta At Sea)

This was the day we were supposed to be in Puerto Vallarta, so Disney had created a full schedule to try to make up for missing out on excursions. The kids and I had been booked on an excursion to Las Caletas, which we had done in 2012 on our Mexican Riviera cruise with DCL. We were very disappointed to miss it – it was the only stop Elliott had been looking forward to! We were all ok, though.

We enjoyed sleeping in, since we had originally been expecting to wake up quite early this day. We went up to Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast and then completed the second day's Anna's Chocolate Chase clues.

After we finished up with that, we met up with friends in the Promenade Lounge to play a round of Steering Committee Hide-and-Seek. We had missed this the first time, because we hadn't realized how much fun it would be! Luckily, we were clued in this time and made plans in advance.

Our team consisted of the three of us, Ava, Mari, Jeff, Joe, Andrea, Sally, and Athene. Christa and Ryan decided to hang out in the lounge watching everyone run around like chickens with their heads cut off. We were attempting to unseat the reigning champs, team Avengers, which included Mari and Jeff's kids, Jonathan and Carmen, along with other members of the Stitch Club. We decided that our team name should be Hydra, in honor of our foes.

In Steering Committee Hide-and-Seek, members of the steering committee (captain, cruise director, hotel director, etc.) change their clothes and hide in plain sight somewhere on the ship. Each of them is assigned a point value based on their standard visibility (like, Clayton was worth the least points because everyone knew what he looked like). They may be wearing a different uniform and doing a job, or they could be dressed in plain clothes mingling with the passengers. The first group to find one of the brought the back to the lounge to receive their points. We only had about half an hour in which to do this.

After they showed us photographs of each crew member, we were set free. We immediately headed up to the shops on deck 4 and the amazing Athene spotted Clayton dressed as a woman, nicknamed "Anita."

17869538181_7fcb335e73.jpg

This quick victory got us all excited, but alas, we never got another point. We were very close to almost all of them, but we passed the by! We had some confusion because we assumed that none of them would be in an area that was closed off to some people (like, they wouldn't be in the ladies room, because men/boys couldn't go in and find them). Unfortunately, three of them were in the adults-only gym. We had been standing right outside and one of them walked past – I had thought he was one of them but when he went in the gym we decided he couldn't be!

In the end, those pesky Avengers won and Hydra was defeated. We all gathered back in the Promenade Lounge for the big reveal of the secret identities, many of which had gone completely undiscovered. Captain Robert had been out on deck 4 oiling the deck (or something along those lines)!

17679497528_1b5c1fcfb7.jpg

Captain Robert and Clayton

17869028425_f99bfd208c.jpg

The whole gang

After the game ended we all hung out in Promenade talking while the kids played board games. It was a lot of fun just having some chill time with everyone! I'd signed up for a chocolate and liquor tasting with Ryan and Christa, so soon it was time for the kids to go to the Lab while we headed off to the Cadillac Lounge.

This tasting was so much fun! I highly recommend it if you have the chance to do it. Set at each place were four sets of items: a pretty pink champagne (Taittinger Prestige Rose) with a small glass of melted white chocolate; a Malbec blend (Lasseter Family Winery Amoureux) with white, dark, and caramel feves (basically chocolate discs); port (Noval) with a dark chocolate feve and a small hunk of very good Parmesan cheese; and a very fancy shot of Scotch (Glenmorangie Signet) with melted milk chocolate and a white/milk chocolate stick.

17870116145_2ce149ac49.jpg

17681049809_ff6283d9df.jpg

It really was interesting to see how the flavors changed as you coated your mouth with different types of chocolate. My favorite, to my surprise, was the port. They had you chew the Parmesan and dark chocolate at the same time and then take a sip of your port. It was delicious! Since we had been told that the Scotch was a $40 shot (more than the cost of the event), I tried very hard to like it, but it was just a bit too strong for me. I did like it better after we added the chocolate!

After the tasting I went to the Lab to see if the boys wanted to be picked up. Elliott wanted to watch a movie in the room, so I let him do that while I delivered our FE gifts. I also found the first sign that the cruise was drawing to a close – the prepaid tip vouchers and envelopes were waiting on my bed for me.

That afternoon they were repeating the Pixar Pals Party, which was great because it had been held at the same time as my mixology on Toy Story Day. Elliott had no interest, but Oliver wanted to go, so I traded kids at the Lab.

17870093085_c7f6aae366.jpg

Oliver was having fun dancing at the beginning, but very quickly he got bumped while dancing with Dug the dog and then he refused to have any fun.

17680996859_770fe2ee22.jpg

17679443998_6871d12f0b.jpg

I spent the whole party trying to cheer him up, dancing like a crazy person. Finally at the last minute a confetti cannon went off and he instantly became happy, peppy Ollie again.

17679708020_cde083f252.jpg

17867145252_c1aee66999.jpg

I'd noticed that the Navigator said there were new Frozen-themed DCL items in the gift shop, so Oliver and I decided to go check them out on our way back to the room. They were very cute!

17842689166_6a0c15c154_b.jpg

17681207278_97e2c89d82_b.jpg

Ollie and I went to the room and watched TV/read, then went to get ice cream cones (every opportunity), and then headed back to the room to get ready for dinner. It was our second formal night, the Captain's Gala dinner, and we were going to be in Parrot Cay. This is one of my least favorite menus, to be honest, which is why I'd originally scheduled my Palo dinner this night. I put on a sundress that could pass as formal for the night, had Oliver change into a polo-type shirt, and brought a similar shirt for Elliott to put on after we picked him up at the Lab. I wasn't really in the mood to get dressed up, but I also didn't want to go casual, so this was a nice compromise.

Both of the kids ordered the penne pasta from the kid's menu – I can never convince my seafood lovers that they should try the lobster! Maybe next time I will just have one brought out for them to try.

17867218395_18b4b13d82.jpg

I ordered the aged prosciutto appetizer, which is always tasty. I just love prosciutto! Nothing else really leaped out at me, so I asked if I could get the tomato salad minus the tomato. Everything else about it sounded delicious, but I wanted more greens. Luckily, they were able to do this for me!

17249642923_9562b69da4.jpg

The main course this night is tricky for me. There's no steak and the chicken is breaded and served with pasta, which didn't really appeal to me. I ended up ordering the “lighter note offerings” chicken with a baked potato. This was fine, though not particularly exciting.

As usual, Elliott got bored and asked if he could head off to the Edge open house. The kids were reaching their limits on eating every dinner in a formalish setting and were starting to be a bit more difficult. I can understand that, but it was definitely getting less enjoyable so I happily let Elliott go.

If the dinner menu isn't to my liking, the dessert menu makes up for it. I couldn't make up my mind, so I asked for both the warm chocolate lava cake and the banana crème brulee.

17867124702_859127fa6e.jpg

17682515270_a70ae5d9f0.jpg

Both were very tasty, but I didn't end up eating too much of them. Oliver told me he had a headache and I was pretty full, so we went back to the room. When the open house at Edge was scheduled to end, at 8:00, we went to pick Elliott up and then watched Emperor's New Groove on the tv in our room. When the movie ended they both asked to go to the Lab.

I let them go for about 45 minutes, but then it was time to get ready for the big event of the night – Triton's Chocolate Gala Buffet! Oliver said that his headache was back and he didn't want to go, so I sent Elliott to get into line and took Ollie back to the room, gave him some acetaminophen, and put him in bed with a movie. I then ran back down to where Elliott was waiting just in time for the doors to open.

The buffet was really beautiful! I'm glad we weren't too far back in the line, because I heard that things got a bit out of hand after a little while. Apparently people were taking enormous quantities of food and insisting on eating the decorations. Grown-ups, man.

17680945289_703cfd399c.jpg

17870054445_9384c20c3e.jpg

17870558291_008b569f66.jpg

17244677754_01877b1490.jpg

17682217018_ec7a23ee96.jpg

I got a nice selection of items to share and we took it back to the room to eat.

17682205748_b2c70a7861.jpg

That's peanut butter mousse cake on the bottom, strawberry cake on the right, chocolate-dipped strawberries, a pink macaron, pineapple from the chocolate fountain, and that thing in the middle of the fruit at the top is marzipan cake. Elliott also had a plate with a macaron and a few pieces of chocolate fountain fruit. Everything was just lovely and very tasty. And seriously, how pretty is that pink cake? There were so many more things I resisted, because our bellies were getting close to capacity.

We put WALL-E on the TV and the kids quickly fell asleep. It was a time change night, so I reset everything and then decided to turn in myself.

18484974436_9bc4358a70.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! What are you doing posting this on the middle of the night!

I almost did the chocolate liquor tasting that day. I had done it earlier in the cruise, second sea day I think, but would have to check notes. I enjoyed it so much I signed up again as soon as they offered it for our additional sea day. Then I decided I would like the day to be completely unscheduled. Yes the port with dark chocolate and Parmesan......oh my!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter