I have a question on using Uber and/or Lift

IluvKingLouis

DIS Veteran
I apologize if my question should be in a different forum.

I have never used Lift or Uber. I am looking at a trip for October. We love to stay on property, and I think we can continue to do so as long as I can make a quick grocery store run for snacks. I don't think it would make sense to rent a car.

Can someone tell me what it would cost for me to run to say, the Publix at Celebration? Will they wait for you while you shop? I think we will be staying at one of the All Stars.

Thanks!

I don't know the cost, but they won't wait. You will have to call another Uber/Lyft to get back.

Thank you for the info! I am trying to determine if a grocery delivery service might be better. But I do like picking out my own goodies. :-)

You can price Uber/Lyft right on their website, also on ride.guru

And, as the previous poster said, they won't wait. There also should be no struggle to get another one back.

I checked RideGuru, using the Grand Floridian as your hotel. The fare would be $12-$13 one-way. As others have stated, the drivers will not wait but there will be no problem at all getting an Uber/Lyft back.

So, with a $50 tip for each driver, it should run about $125-$130 pirate:...or $25-$30 + tip.

I'm pretty sure the grocery delivery services would cost less than that -- AND, it's their time not yours. I would check into the details of the various companies and see if one of them works better for you than a rental car.

Another option is to use Shipt. They can deliver the grocery items to you an can shop at Publix and Target.

Could be worth checking if it's debuted in the Kissimmee area yet

I apologize if my question should be in a different forum.

I have never used Lift or Uber. I am looking at a trip for October. We love to stay on property, and I think we can continue to do so as long as I can make a quick grocery store run for snacks. I don't think it would make sense to rent a car.

Can someone tell me what it would cost for me to run to say, the Publix at Celebration? Will they wait for you while you shop? I think we will be staying at one of the All Stars.

Thanks!

I checked RideGuru, using the Grand Floridian as your hotel. The fare would be $12-$13 one-way. As others have stated, the drivers will not wait but there will be no problem at all getting an Uber/Lyft back.

So, with a $50 tip for each driver, it should run about $125-$130 pirate:...or $25-$30 + tip.

I'm pretty sure the grocery delivery services would cost less than that -- AND, it's their time not yours. I would check into the details of the various companies and see if one of them works better for you than a rental car.

I’m totally confused. :confused3 I’m new to Uber/lyft and looking to research as well. I checked ride guru for OPs all-stars to Publix in Celebration and it shows $9.02. It is my understanding that tip is optional for these services. So a trip back and forth should be under $20?

How do we get $125 for an Uber/Lyft?! That is certainly making the flat $25 Minnie vans look cheap!

What am I missing?

I’m totally confused. :confused3 I’m new to Uber/lyft and looking to research as well. I checked ride guru for OPs all-stars to Publix in Celebration and it shows $9.02. It is my understanding that tip is optional for these services. So a trip back and forth should be under $20?

How do we get $125 for an Uber/Lyft?! That is certainly making the flat $25 Minnie vans look cheap!

What am I missing?

Jim drives for Uber/Lyft and was joking about how big a tip you should leave.

You should definitely tip. I tip $4-5 per ride.

Another option is to use Shipt. They can deliver the grocery items to you an can shop at Publix and Target.

Could be worth checking if it's debuted in the Kissimmee area yet

It looks like Shipt IS available in the Orlando area. However, it requires a membership, currently on sale for $49/year (mother's day sale), regular price is $99.

If Shipt is available near your home, a membership might be worth it. For me, the $20-$30 in Uber fare is a better deal than an annual membership for a service that is not available where I live.

You can price Uber/Lyft right on their website, also on ride.guru

And, as the previous poster said, they won't wait. There also should be no struggle to get another one back.

Does anyone have experience with using Uber/Lyft for a pre-ordered pick up at a grocery store, Walmart, etc? I totally get the driver not wanting to wait while I go shop, but what about the couple of minutes it would take to pick up items I've ordered online?

My advice would be to pop in, pick up the items you ordered on line and then order a Lyft back. The wait might be 5 minutes.

Does anyone have experience with using Uber/Lyft for a pre-ordered pick up at a grocery store, Walmart, etc? I totally get the driver not wanting to wait while I go shop, but what about the couple of minutes it would take to pick up items I've ordered online?
If you're going to order online anyway, why not just use garden grocer or wegoshop? The delivery fee is about the same at you'd pay for a Lyft and you don't have to waste your valuable vacation time.

If you're going to order online anyway, why not just use garden grocer or wegoshop? The delivery fee is about the same at you'd pay for a Lyft and you don't have to waste your valuable vacation time.

This is definitely an option worth considering. My concern is that the delivery windows are 4-5 hours, and I don't want to commit to being at the resort waiting for my delivery. I realize they can just deliver to guest services, but then my perishables are sitting around unrefrigerated until my return. I was thinking a quick Uber/Lyft to the store would be at my convenience, and then I could get my items immediately into my mini-fridge.

This is definitely an option worth considering. My concern is that the delivery windows are 4-5 hours, and I don't want to commit to being at the resort waiting for my delivery. I realize they can just deliver to guest services, but then my perishables are sitting around unrefrigerated until my return. I was thinking a quick Uber/Lyft to the store would be at my convenience, and then I could get my items immediately into my mini-fridge.
You don't have to be there for the delivery. Bell services will store your perishables in the refrigerator.

Thanks for all the info. I think I will try a Lyft as I really enjoying getting out and going on a little shopping trip. :-)

Garden Grocer is most definitely a better option, unless you just love spending your vacation time grocery shopping. And no, you don't have to be there, they drop it all with Bell Services who will store it all for you, including keeping it cold/frozen as needed. They'll even handle getting your ID for alcohol as needed.

What am I missing?
While PP was joking about the amount of the tip, a tip for an Uber/Lyft driver should be considered as being as optional as a tip to a server at a restaurant.
Just putting that out there for pondering.

Jim drives for Uber/Lyft and was joking about how big a tip you should leave.

You should definitely tip. I tip $4-5 per ride.
LOL, yes I was joking...although I DID get a $50 tip last week (on a $25 airport ride).

I usually tip $5 on X or $10 on XL, and always in cash.

You can tip in either app, although it's not a very intuitive and requires doing your rating first. Uber also offers the option of tipping by percentage of your fare, but I haven't taken a ride since they put that in, so I'm not quite sure how that's done.

Tips are optional, and with tipping in both apps now, more and more Uber riders are tipping. I rarely get tips from Lyft riders, and when I do they are usually $1-$2, but still a nice gesture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter