I have a question about smoking/verandahs?

edk35

DIS Veteran
I hope I don't offend anyone here, (not my intention), but I am curious if the ships allow smoking on the verandahs? I am guessing the answer is yes. What exactly is the policy on board ships for smoking? I would hope no one would smoke in their cabin. My father-in-law smokes and when he visits us he of course smokes outside, but you still smell it on the furniture he sits on. I would hate to get a cabin that you can tell a smoker was in prior to us. AGAIN, please know that I am NOT trying to start anything here. Just need some answers.

I am also guessing they have designated areas for smoking somewhere outside We are not smokers and are curious if you can smell/see the smoke if smoking is allowed on the verandahs? Maybe there is enough breeze that no one would notice it?? My kids avoid walking near smoking areas too. Two of them have asthma and don't like to be around it. THANKS. I will also apologize ahead of time if anyone is offended. :)

As far as I know and I'm not a smoker so, I'm not 100% sure but you cannot smoke in your cabin. You can smoke on your verandah and there are some designated smoke areas on the ship.

When you enter your cabin for the 1st time and if it smells like smoke to you just let the room steward know and they will take care of it.

Yes, smoking is allowed on the verandahs, and for the most part, because of the breeze, you probably won't notice it much at all, although there are people who have reported that their neighbor's smoking RUINED their whole cruise....but I think there are very few people who have had that problem and they are probably extremely sensitive.
It is not allowed INDOORS anywhere on the ship at all. I've never noticed that the furniture in the rooms have ever smelled of smoke or any other odor. When you think of the number of people who return from excursions all hot and sweaty, and plant themselves on the sofas, I'm amazed that they never smell.

There ARE specific designated outdoor areas on the ship to smoke, limited to one side of the ship only, and not near the kids' areas.
Once you learn where they are, you and your kids should have no trouble avoiding the areas.

As far as I know and I'm not a smoker so, I'm not 100% sure but you cannot smoke in your cabin. You can smoke on your verandah and there are some designated smoke areas on the ship.

When you enter your cabin for the 1st time and if it smells like smoke to you just let the room steward know and they will take care of it.

Yes to all of this.

Yes, smoking is allowed on the verandahs, and for the most part, because of the breeze, you probably won't notice it much at all, although there are people who have reported that their neighbor's smoking RUINED their whole cruise....but I think there are very few people who have had that problem and they are probably extremely sensitive.
It is not allowed INDOORS anywhere on the ship at all. I've never noticed that the furniture in the rooms have ever smelled of smoke or any other odor. When you think of the number of people who return from excursions all hot and sweaty, and plant themselves on the sofas, I'm amazed that they never smell.

There ARE specific designated outdoor areas on the ship to smoke, limited to one side of the ship only, and not near the kids' areas.
Once you learn where they are, you and your kids should have no trouble avoiding the areas.

Well I don't think I would ever say someone smoking next to our verandah ruined our trip. :scared1: One good thing is that our kids are next to our room so from what I have heard, we should be able to make it a larger verandah anyway. It is also good to know that if there is a smoke smell it can be sprayed/cleaned or whatever. I also agree that THERE ARE PROBABLY SOME WORSE SMELLS that could be left from sweaty peeps in the cabins prior to our cruise. :lmao:

Well I don't think I would ever say someone smoking next to our verandah ruined our trip. :scared1: One good thing is that our kids are next to our room so from what I have heard, we should be able to make it a larger verandah anyway. It is also good to know that if there is a smoke smell it can be sprayed/cleaned or whatever. I also agree that THERE ARE PROBABLY SOME WORSE SMELLS that could be left from sweaty peeps in the cabins prior to our cruise. :lmao:
It definitely won't ruin your trip but it will ruin your enjoyment of the verandah. On our last cruise in the Baltics we spent a lot of time on Verandah especially when we were sailing through the Fjords. Anyways, I think, one day I spent 3 hours on the verandah watching the fjords and the people in the cabin smoked for 3 hours straight. It was horrible as the ship was moving very slowly and the smoke didn't disappear in the wind. Sometimes I think "smokers" don't realize they are being a nuisance. I totally understand as my Mother has smoked her entire life and they had the same habits. So, when we get a gift from my Mother you always have to wash it as the entire package smells like smoke. I'm not trying to offend anyone by my comments but it is just the truth. On that cruise, I was so frustrated with our neighbors that I went to the cruise desk and requested that our next cruise be in an inside stateroom. But they were sold out. So once again we'll be on the verandah. I don't mind the occasionally cigerette but these people had a huge smoking habit and were basically on the verandah 24/7.

It didn't ruin our cruise a couple of years ago, but it did ruin our ability to enjoy our verandah. Every time we were out there we were smelling the smoke from our neighbor's verandah. So we didn't use it; we made do with alternatives. But it was a disappointment.

We did also smell some smoke in our room after we had the door open during a sailaway. We also smelled it in the hall on one of the sea days.

This really bothers me. If I paid to have a verandah, I should not have to be subjected to a smoker on their verandah. Sorry smokers! It will ruin my cruise experience. I have asthma and am VERY allergic to cigarette smoke. It gives me a migraine. I sure hope we don't have smokers near us, because the last thing I want is a migraine and an asthma attack on my vacation. Does anyone know on the Dream which side of the ship has the outdoor smoking area? As a non smoker, I think the smoking area would be the only place to smoke. You might as well let people smoke in their cabins if they are smoking on their verandah! Non smokers WILL smell it! Ugh! Great... :-(

This really bothers me. If I paid to have a verandah, I should not have to be subjected to a smoker on their verandah. Sorry smokers! It will ruin my cruise experience. I have asthma and am VERY allergic to cigarette smoke. It gives me a migraine. I sure hope we don't have smokers near us, because the last thing I want is a migraine and an asthma attack on my vacation. Does anyone know on the Dream which side of the ship has the outdoor smoking area? As a non smoker, I think the smoking area would be the only place to smoke. You might as well let people smoke in their cabins if they are smoking on their verandah! Non smokers WILL smell it! Ugh! Great... :-(

Maybe you should swap to an inside if you are not going to be able to enjoy your balcony, cause they cost a fortune.:eek:

Smoker's have the same right to use their verandah to smoke. Hopefully smokers and non smokers will be courteous to each other.

MJ

Maybe you should swap to an inside if you are not going to be able to enjoy your balcony, cause they cost a fortune.:eek:

It may not be that easy. I booked yesterday and the cheapest room was the veranda room. No inside rooms left. This is for Oct 2011.
I agree that I will be SO upset if we have to smell smoke and not get to enjoy the ocean breeze. My boys have asthma as well and that's all we need is to be wheezing all week. :mad:
Hopefully all will work out.

Smoking is allowed on the starboard side of the ship on upper decks. (and verandahs).
There are tons of arguemtns about it and they get heated, but nothing you can do about it, so no reason to get upset and argue. If you are mad, ask t Disney (send them an email, letter,whatever) to make only starboard veradahs smoking. Most likely they will never go smoke free completely because it will eliminate a large amount of potential and returning guests.

Personally, I cannot stand to be around smoke. It bothers me, but not as bad as others such as my niece who has Cystic Fibrosis.

Regardless, we have had a verandah twice and I was never affected by smokers. I know there were smokers nearby on each of them, but they were quite courteous and only once did I even notice any smoke.

Now, Deck 4 was another story. In the Navigator, it clearly states that smoking is permitted on open Starboard decks. However, there is a caveat that says on Deck 4, you cannot smoke from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. I believe they do that for the courtesy of runners and others exercising.

We were trying to relax and read on the deck loungers on Deck 4 and this family came out and started smoking around 2:00 pm. I thought they would leave after a cigarette so we decided to wait it out even though the smoke was practically blowing right at us. Unfortunately, they just kept smoking and smoking and smoking, so we had to go to the other side of the ship. As a non-smoker, I had never read the part of the Navigator that prohibits smoking on Deck 4 until after I returned from our cruise and complained about it on these boards and someone pointed it out to me. Had I known, I would have pointed it out to these rude guests or gone and asked a CM to have them stop smoking.

I too am very, very sensitive to smoke smell and we ended up downwind of two smokers right next door to us. The funny thing is, not only did it not bother me, I didn't even realize we had smokers next to us til later in the week when DH mentioned seeing them once. Either they were extremely courteous about when they went out there or else the sea winds whisked it all away before it could even get near our balcony..

If someone is smoking and it's blowing into your verandah...ask them nicely if they could avoid that while you're out there. We've been on quite a few cruises over the years and most Disney Cruisers are generally quite courteous. Another reason to avoid the parks...which seem to quickly fill with knuckleheads.

I like to enjoy a good cuban on the verandah late at night...but I'll skip it if there are others around.

Ugh...DGD and I both have asthma and suffer from migranes. We are forward and starboard. Hopefully, we won't have an issue with cigarette smoke. I didn't realize Disney allowed smoking, except designated smoking areas.

Ugh...DGD and I both have asthma and suffer from migranes. We are forward and starboard. Hopefully, we won't have an issue with cigarette smoke. I didn't realize Disney allowed smoking, except designated smoking areas.

those are the designated areas

I am a cigar smoker. I smoke to relax...not a chain smoker like some are with cigarettes. I fully intend to have a few on my upcoming Dream cruise. Heck, DCL even sells a cigar pacakage on their site!

That being said...I am VERY aware that not everyone appreciates a great cigar (like my wife!). I go out of my way to make sure that my smoke isn't bothering anyone. I will be on the veranda, and I plan on checking to see if any neighbors are out or if the smoke is going towards them. If so, I'll go elsewere...no big deal. We all want to enjoy our trips, and I don't think anyone (smokers or not) has more "rights" than anyone else.

I must say that some people actually enjoy some of the cigars I smoke, as they have a very "pipe tabacco" smell. (Acid cigars).

I realize that smokers have just as many rights as non smokers (to each their own), but I am referring to the smokers who are NOT courteous to others. Just try to be courteous to your shipmates. Just as I would not subject someone to my music choice on my balcony or on deck and wear my headphones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter