I hate you Disney marathon!

I had Boma reservations for 8:00, and it was a nightmare getting back to Coronado. I guess since Disney makes so much money on these marathons, I won't feel bad complaining to them. I'm going to cause them as much grief as they caused me. I just don't want to target any innocent workers. But when I get the right name, they will get an ear full.

So, basically, instead of doing anything useful or constructive, your goal is to be immortalized on notalwaysright.com. :rotfl:

Seems that a bit of planning and advanced preparation by the visitor can help avoid these issues. I don't think these events are a surprise to anyone who checks the event calendars pre trip. I could see how being surprised by this would stink, but it's not all Disney's fault, right?

I don't pay to be massively inconvenienced when I vacation here. Disney had no business scheduling events that ruins things for everyone else. The marathon was only part of the problem, it was how incompetently they handled rerouting traffic that made it worse.

Perhaps a better solution would be to shut down to everyone not participating in the marathons :scratchin Then the ruining of a vacation that you paid so much for by being inconvienced would not be an issue.

OR one could plan around the inconvenience by choosing not to visit during a marathon time or make adjustments to their touring schedule to deal with closures and such.

Put it in perspective a little. Its an inconvenience to you, as well as others not participating, but its just that - an inconvenience. Not the end of the world nor the ruining of a vacation. Seriously now...

A nightmare 40 minute round about thanks to the marathon detours. Detour took us off property into heavy night time traffic that led us back to even more detours. 5 minutes and 1.2 miles normally.

If they can't hold a marathon without massively inconveniencing other guests than they need to stop. :headache::headache::headache:

I am going to agree with a PP who suggested maybe giving a solution would help. In later posts, you did say communication needed to be improved but your first post kind of was harsh with no solutions offered except to stop marathons.

Maybe a "what normally took me 5 minutes to do last night took over X minutes because of the marathon being run. Unless I missed it, there was not any communication by Disney World except for one sign that Osceola Parkway was going to be closed from X to X which was right in the middle of my dinner plans at Boma. I was staying at Coronado Springs so something should have been in my room telling me alternative routes. Huge problem for me getting back."

And really? I think your issue is with Coronado Springs for not advising you on the road being closed.

That all being said, I have visited Disney World in January during the "real" marathon (I use air quotes because I am not a runner but this seems to be the "real" marathon - forgive if I insulted anyone). We knew about the races - the grandkids did the kids races - and we were able to plan accordingly. We used Disney transportation on Sunday and yes, it was slower but the drivers knew the routes. The OP in this situation couldn't have taken direct Disney transportation so I do understand that frustration. My brother-in-law ans niece drove in that day and had to take alternative routes which took longer but they managed. We did have to divert our walking at Animal Kingdom and then later at Epcot to accommodate the runners but the Cast Members were nice about it. But did the marathon decrease our enjoyment? Not really. Yes, we had to divert on roads and sidewalks but quite honestly, I was glad * they * were running and I was enjoying my time with my family. And, at the end of the day, * they * were happy and so was I.

Sorry you had a tough experience but we allll know the marathons happen.
A little extra planning is totally necessary.

Sorry to hear that your experience was negative. Though, this will continue because it is a big draw for Disney.

Did you not get the notice that was placed in your room that clearly states " the main road in and out of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge will be closed beginning at 8:00pm on Saturday evening. Please use WDW transportation when possible. If you must use other transportation enter or exit Animal Kingdom Lodge via Sherberth Road and use Highway 192 to get to or from other locations"

That all being said, I have visited Disney World in January during the "real" marathon (I use air quotes because I am not a runner but this seems to be the "real" marathon - forgive if I insulted anyone).

LOL, not insulted, but it's just a matter of terminology. January is the actual marathon, the 26.2 miler. The Wine and Dine and the Princess are Half marathons, 13.1 miles.

ETA...Oh! Don't forget the ToT 10 miler weekend, and the Expedition Everest Challenge. ;)

They don't care, they got their marathon money. If you look at a Disney map, closing that road totally cuts off the AKL from the rest of the property. They knew it would cause severe problems and did little to address it. If they did their job properly I wouldn't complain.
I've no problem with marathons, IF they can do it with only a minor inconvenience to the other resort guests. This is simply not possible if they have to cut off the only road into AKL.

That's just really weird though...because I was staying off property, using Sherbeth road and heading to the AK the morning of the marathon 2 years ago. Yes it took us a few extra minutes as we had to wait for the runners but we were obviously allowed to get to the AK. It was pretty cool in my opinion to see the runners go through the park.

I understand your frustration. While I ran the ToT 10-miler, my husband thought he would be "safe" on the bus from All-Stars to Downtown Disney. It took him over an hour of sitting, and his bus was nowhere near the race areas.

Over the years, I've learned to double-check the conventions and other events before I book Disney trips on either coast.

Sorry it was inconvenient for your family. Disney marathons aren't going anywhere, in fact smart money is on several more in the coming years. The DIS is all about planning, so I always use this resource before I book. These people have saved me from several near-misses!!!

That's just really weird though...because I was staying off property, using Sherbeth road and heading to the AK the morning of the marathon 2 years ago. Yes it took us a few extra minutes as we had to wait for the runners but we were obviously allowed to get to the AK. It was pretty cool in my opinion to see the runners go through the park.

I am psyched to get a chance to see some runners in January. We like to do "something different" during our trips and this will definitely be that. I didn't plan for this week (DH picked it) but we will make the most of it. Plus, not to sound cheesy, but we were supposed to go to the Boston Marathon but did not due to my one of my kids being sick that morning. It will be nice to have some happy marathon memories.
That being said, I do think the OP has a right to be annoyed and frustrated. It is a vacation spot. Priority SHOULD be the vacationers.

Honestly, lately I think some need to take a break from Disney.

Going to Disney, is not going to the beach. If you want an easy, laid back vacation without stress, I would never, ever recommend WDW.

Also I think it falls on the guest at times to check to see if large events are going to be held, races, Pop Warner and plan accordingly.

I mean seriously Scrooge, do you think they are going to cancel something that irritated one guest and brought joy to thousands of others.

I'm surprised the OP missed all the signage. I ran in the TOT 10 miler in October and there were signs everywhere on property, at our resort and in our room letting us know of traffic interruptions during the race. And they closed Osceola Parkway because the race takes place on that street, they do the same for the TOT 10 miler. However, Disney is super efficient about clearing and opening the streets in a timely fashion. OP I'm sorry it caused you so much trouble, constructive criticism might work out better than just being angry and giving Disney grief.

I am psyched to get a chance to see some runners in January. We like to do "something different" during our trips and this will definitely be that. I didn't plan for this week (DH picked it) but we will make the most of it. Plus, not to sound cheesy, but we were supposed to go to the Boston Marathon but did not due to my one of my kids being sick that morning. It will be nice to have some happy marathon memories.
That being said, I do think the OP has a right to be annoyed and frustrated. It is a vacation spot. Priority SHOULD be the vacationers.

But I bet that most of the people in the Half marathon last night ARE on vacation. Who's needs trump who's? :confused3

It is not my job to tell Disney how they could improve things. That is their paid employees job.
All I am responsible for is telling them how angry and inconvenient this event made my life.
As far as I am concerned, these events are theft of my services that I paid for. Disney makes the extra money, while normal guests pay through the inconvenience it generated.

Wow, Disney charges $190 to run on their property?:confused3 I have to say one thing, Disney knows how to make money. Do you get anything for the $190?

PS: I don't blame you OP, I would be pissed too. When on vacation (spending thousands), no one wants to deal with this.

The easiest thing to do is check a Disney event calendar to see what is happening the week you plan to go.

I ran last night and many of the cars beeped and shouted words of encouragement (mile 8 out of 13.1) and it was really great hearing their support!

And depending on the race you do get other stuff besides the opportunity to run through a park at night when it is "closed"

It is not my job to tell Disney how they could improve things. That is their paid employees job.
All I am responsible for is telling them how angry and inconvenient this event made my life.
As far as I am concerned, these events are theft of my services that I paid for. Disney makes the extra money, while normal guests pay through the inconvenience it generated.

Judging by other posts, you experienced more than average inconvenience for some reason. What service did they not give you because of the race? No where are you promised a short drive to/from the parks. No theft of service there.

I guess the lesson you can take from this is to do a bit of research if you plan on going back to Disney World and pick a time of year when there is not a race going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter