• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I hate to even ask, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarcastic much?? Sheesh. No need to get all high horsey about it. We just don't honestly have people carrying guns around here. Unless they are hunting. So I was simply pointing out how surprised I was. No need to get all excited.

Of course you are not especially being a member here on the DIS !! You are no stranger to the American gun culture especially in light of recent events and the world wide attention it is receiving.

donaldlovesdaisy said:
Of course you are not especially being a member here on the DIS !! You are no stranger to the American gun culture especially in light of recent events and the world wide attention it is receiving.

Surprised that you would be allowed to have it in a resort. Although i do agree it would be more safe & sensible to have it in a safe rather than a car.

And yes, I am well aware of the tragedies in the US. But in all honesty, it is still always a surprise to hear when someone is carrying a gun. When you grow up in a country where guns are normally only carried daily by law enforcement - what do you expect? FTR, someone in my family owns a gun for hunting and it is still strange to me.

It is a cultural difference. Not a judgment call.

Our daughter had a small amount of cash ($36) stolen from her purse. We were staying CL at the time and had never worried about safety of valuables until that year.

She placed her purse on the safe in the closet and really didn't think anything of it. My husband and I didn't know she had left her wallet in the purse--thought she had placed the wallet in the safe along with our other valuables. She had removed her credit card, ID, pass and room key and placed them inside a camera case she was carrying. When we returned at the end of the day, and prior to leaving for the evening, she decided to take her bag with her. She opened the wallet to place her ID, etc. into it and the cash was gone.

While $36 isn't much money to lose, it was very dear to a poor college student. It was a good lesson for her though--you can never be too careful. :sad1:

Tess said:
Our daughter had a small amount of cash ($36) stolen from her purse. We were staying CL at the time and had never worried about safety of valuables until that year.

She placed her purse on the safe in the closet and really didn't think anything of it. My husband and I didn't know she had left her wallet in the purse--thought she had placed the wallet in the safe along with our other valuables. She had removed her credit card, ID, pass and room key and placed them inside a camera case she was carrying. When we returned at the end of the day, and prior to leaving for the evening, she decided to take her bag with her. She opened the wallet to place her ID, etc. into it and the cash was gone.

While $36 isn't much money to lose, it was very dear to a poor college student. It was a good lesson for her though--you can never be too careful. :sad1:

Cl does not mean safer. Maids are maids and probably hate us cl lovers more.

We can buy a bag of dog food for our dogs for ~$36. I'd say that's a a decent amount to lose!

Sarcastic much?? Sheesh. No need to get all high horsey about it. We just don't honestly have people carrying guns around here. Unless they are hunting. So I was simply pointing out how surprised I was. No need to get all excited.

Please take it PM... let's not get this thread shut down over something totally unrelated.

Thanks.

Wow, relax.

Never had anything from my room stolen but did have lots of food go missing from my luggage by the time it was delivered to my room. Fairly certain that was TSA and not Disney.

Never had anything stolen on any vacation, WDW and elsewhere. We keep wallets and passports locked in the safe.

larryz said:
Please take it PM... let's not get this thread shut down over something totally unrelated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think either of us plan to take this spirited little conversation any further. I also don't think either of us crossed any lines or broke any rules so I am not sure why the need to intervene.

We have never had anything very valuable taken, but we do use the safe. Whether or not that is just the appearance of safety rather than actually secure, I don't know.

I did have a new, expensive bottle of shampoo go missing after maid service. That experience changed two of our habits...

I now decant my expensive products into plain bottles. And, we have the do not disturb sign up 24 hours a day.

:offtopic:Although on our last trip to the Grand Californian we still got that obnoxious knock by the maid on our last morning, in the hope that they can service the room at the earliest possible moment.

I am seriously thinking of making my own door hanger, written in English and Spanish, that requests no knocking and no entry. The ones they use are reversible from DO NOT DISTURB to MAID SERVICE. Somehow, even though I check before going to sleep, they are always MAID SERVICE facing out on that last morning!

We have never had anything very valuable taken, but we do use the safe. Whether or not that is just the appearance of safety rather than actually secure, I don't know.

I did have a new, expensive bottle of shampoo go missing after maid service. That experience changed two of our habits...

I now decant my expensive products into plain bottles. And, we have the do not disturb sign up 24 hours a day.

:offtopic:Although on our last trip to the Grand Californian we still got that obnoxious knock by the maid on our last morning, in the hope that they can service the room at the earliest possible moment.

I am seriously thinking of making my own door hanger, written in English and Spanish, that requests no knocking and no entry. The ones they use are reversible from DO NOT DISTURB to MAID SERVICE. Somehow, even though I check before going to sleep, they are always MAID SERVICE facing out on that last morning!

That's a really good idea! I use LUSH products for my hair which can get fairly expensive. I can always hide the solid shampoo but I'll have to put the liquid in a plain bottle when I go. Thanks for the idea :)

That's a really good idea! I use LUSH products for my hair which can get fairly expensive. I can always hide the solid shampoo but I'll have to put the liquid in a plain bottle when I go. Thanks for the idea :)

You are so welcome!:)

Hair products can be embarrassingly expensive!

Has anyone ever had anything stolen from your hotel room while you were gone for the day?

When traveler checks were still popular, we had $500.00 stolen from our room. We looked all over our room, in the suitcases, draws, etc. and could not find them. We reported it to the front desk, and went to Epcot where we went into the American Express office and had them reissued. When we got back to our room that night, the checks were laying on top of our clothes, in plain site. Looks like someone in housekeeping got cold feet and returned them. TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

You are so welcome!:)

Hair products can be embarrassingly expensive!

Very very true! It's the one thing I don't mind spending a little extra on though, especially if it lasts a while. My brother spends more on hair products than I do (and he's 16) so I don't feel quiet as bad. ;)

Yes totally get that law enforcement may need it but didn't understand why a "regular citizen" would feel it necessary to bring to Disney of all places. You have to get to Disney first. Locking your gun in the safe is better than leaving it in the car.

But hey, I'm Canadian - we don't get a lot of people here carrying guns :). Law enforcement & the "bad guys" are the exception to that!!
Bad guys, another good reason to carry a gun.

TDBIASWS. :thumbsup2

We do that too. We really don't need mousekeeping for our room. We tidy up after ourselves. I don't change our sheets daily at home and we don't need that done on vacation either.

When I see mousekeeping in the morning, I'll request fresh towels and such if we need them. I also tell them we don't need maid service. They look happy to take us off the list. Win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter