I hate stollers!

I call them baby bulldozers. Seems like whoever is pushing them thinks its their right to be right behind your heels. We avoid fantasyland at all costs just so we don't have to be in stroller hell.

The way I view it is that 99% of the people that have strollers in the parks are responsible for the most part. It's the 1% that get's everyone's dander up so to speak. It's those who cause problems for the rest of us. It's especially troublesome for me, as I wear either my Vibrams or thongs to the parks year round. This makes my feet more vulnerable to getting them hurt by strollers than the average person. However I'm not changing my footwear of choice, so it's a matter of being more aware what the people are doing around you. I walk in the parks like I drive, constantly aware what the people are doing around me, and ready in case someone steps in front of me.

Im one of the stroller users and the complaints go both ways. I go out of my way to avoid bumping people in the parks and have no problem following along in the crowd. I also always say excuse me if I need to cut accross and end up cutting in front of people (which is impossible not to do at DL stroller or not). I cant tell you how many times I have had people try to pass me just to literally jump in front of my stroller and get bumped only to give ME the dirty look. Im straight forward and have told more than one person "dont look at me that way, your the one who jumped in front of a moving stroller without so much as an excuse me". They normally turn away disgusted and continue one.

And as others have noted the people that stop in the middle of a crowd without noting where they are at all are the worst stroller or not.

it all comes down to everyone being in a hurry (stroller or no stroller) and getting caught up in what THEY want and not caring about those around them. Everything becomes someone elses fault and not their own.

Ok with my flame suit on, I'll admit that I too, am a stroller hater. We never took our our son to Disneyland until he was 5, so I never used one there myself. The strollers these days are so large too, with their drink holders, etc, more like a baby bus than a stroller. It can be very hard to get around these at times.

It is interesting that when you see old photos or movies of Disneyland,or even photos from my childhood visits, there are almost no strollers in sight.

092658a.jpg

There's always been strollers and stroller parking at Disneyland.

coaches24 said:
it all comes down to everyone being in a hurry (stroller or no stroller) and getting caught up in what THEY want and not caring about those around them. Everything becomes someone elses fault and not their own.

Yes, this exactly! If you feel like you are getting attacked by a stroller, driven by an adult or a child, say something to the adult in charge. And everyone (stroller pushing or not) should pay better attention to where they are in relation to other people, especially in such a crowded place.

Seriously, Disneyland was the last place I ever thought I would have to worry about offending people by having a child in a stroller with me.

Yes, this exactly! If you feel like you are getting attacked by a stroller, driven by an adult or a child, say something to the adult in charge. And everyone (stroller pushing or not) should pay better attention to where they are in relation to other people, especially in such a crowded place.

Seriously, Disneyland was the last place I ever thought I would have to worry about offending people by having a child in a stroller with me.

And you think we did not, all 3 times security was called to explain to the couples that what they were doing is not safe...they were dealt with.

Jack

We've gone several times and always brought strollers. I usually follow DH while I push the stroller so that if I run into someone it's HIM LOL!

Of course an "I'm so sorry" if you do bump into someone goes a long way in smoothing things over.

blackjackdelta said:
And you think we did not, all 3 times security was called to explain to the couples that what they were doing is not safe...they were dealt with.

Jack

I think the situation you described was highly unusual. My post is in response to the general tone of this over all conversation. Obviously if you are literally being attacked, that's different. Please don't interpret me as thinking what you were subjected to was in any way acceptable.

I think the situation you described was highly unusual. My post is in response to the general tone of this over all conversation. Obviously if you are literally being attacked, that's different. Please don't interpret me as thinking what you were subjected to was in any way acceptable.

I did not assume you were headed that way, people have gotten out of control the last few years of what they think they are entitled to.

Jack

I'm not so sure about highly unusual, I think it's highly unusual for the incidents to be as bad as Jack's but they are very usual. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a crowd (say after fireworks) heading the same way as everyone else and the stroller pusher behind me is bumping into my ankles constantly. I've bled as well, from ankle "bumps" and straight out being rammed in the backs of my ankles. Every time I've turned around and the stroller pusher is looking away from me, right like I don't know it was you. :rolleyes2 I have said to them that I'm going as fast as I can and to please back off a bit and get :furious: in return, seriously, I can't go any faster, you making me bleed won't do ANYTHING. lol I should have flagged down security, next time I will, it has happened to be multiple times.
I would just say to those who bump into someone, just say you're sorry, that goes a long way.

I'm just having a hard time imagining a) how hard I would have to bump someone and b) what kind of stroller I would have to be using to cause someone to bleed. That's why this sounded highly unusual to me.

I'm just having a hard time imagining a) how hard I would have to bump someone and b) what kind of stroller I would have to be using to cause someone to bleed. That's why this sounded highly unusual to me.

Un-protected metal bars on an older stroller and the Mom was trying to jog thru a crowd of people and smacked Alex, She has had JRA since she was 2 and on and off steroids...she bleed like a stuck pig.

Jack

We have been bringing strollers for the past 4+ years. We bring two. We go multiple times a year. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have accidentally ran into someone. If you really make an effort to be courteous while driving a stroller, it's not that hard to avoid hitting others. Sometimes, it's just plain unavoidable, as some posted when people jump in front of you and stop. I always make sure to apologize, whether I think it's their fault or not. You just have to realize you can't always navigate a crowd as you would like to, when you are pushing a stroller and have a lot of patience. I remember what it's like to be annoyed with strollers everywhere, but until you have to carry a sleeping child all the way back to your hotel (a mistake we made once!), then you realize how nice having a stroller is =) You're at Disneyland, kids are going to be there. Be happy you are at the happiest place on earth! =)

This is Disneyland we are talking about. This is a place designed for children's joy! I'm sure no one has ever deliberately attacked someone else with a stroller. Accidents happen! People ( with and without strollers) need to take 2 extra seconds to look around them. Be respectful of others and their space as much as you can with thousands of people elbow to elbow. There are going to be people ( like me) in the park with small children and a stroller is a must.
If you bump, say " I'm sorry" and like wise for people who stop dead in front of you without warning.

Now Jack, is this a true story or do I sense sarcasm in your post? :) I really can't tell...

We have been bringing strollers for the past 4+ years. We bring two. We go multiple times a year. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have accidentally ran into someone. If you really make an effort to be courteous while driving a stroller, it's not that hard to avoid hitting others. Sometimes, it's just plain unavoidable, as some posted when people jump in front of you and stop. I always make sure to apologize, whether I think it's their fault or not. You just have to realize you can't always navigate a crowd as you would like to, when you are pushing a stroller and have a lot of patience. I remember what it's like to be annoyed with strollers everywhere, but until you have to carry a sleeping child all the way back to your hotel (a mistake we made once!), then you realize how nice having a stroller is =) You're at Disneyland, kids are going to be there. Be happy you are at the happiest place on earth! =)

I've carried a sleeping kid for almost a mile. No shoulder carrier. No stroller. Just the kid (and already over 30 lbs) over my shoulder. My wife would never be able to handle it. I don't think I could do that with my wife over my shoulder though.

You should see what I do when it's time force a wakeup. I'll just put the kid down and see what kind of crankiness ensues.

This is Disneyland we are talking about. This is a place designed for children's joy! I'm sure no one has ever deliberately attacked someone else with a stroller. Accidents happen! People ( with and without strollers) need to take 2 extra seconds to look around them. Be respectful of others and their space as much as you can with thousands of people elbow to elbow. There are going to be people ( like me) in the park with small children and a stroller is a must.
If you bump, say " I'm sorry" and like wise for people who stop dead in front of you without warning.

Now Jack, is this a true story or do I sense sarcasm in your post? :) I really can't tell...

I think it's almost certain that someone has deliberately used a stroller to attack someone. You get all kinds of people at Disneyland, and some of them don't exactly understand the concept of limits or reasonable behavior once they get angry. For that matter, there are women raising their kids in prison, so obviously antisocial (or even criminal) behavior doesn't stop simply because someone has a child.

Once I remember seeing a mom with a kid getting into an argument with another customer in line at a Costco. A new register had opened up, and the solo customer jumped into it before mom with kid. The mom with the kid got upset that she took the place in line first and let her know about it. They started jawing, and mom was yelling about "don't talk to me like that around my child" while at the same time yelling and screaming. It was obvious that mom screaming was contributing (probably the biggest reason) to the child crying, but mom would stop because she "felt disrespected". Eventually a manager saw this and offered to open up a register just to serve this mom and separate the arguing parties.

Now mom didn't have a stroller. However, I don't believe for a second that she wouldn't have at least thought of bumping this other woman with it had she had one there, even with a kid in it.

bcla said:
I think it's almost certain that someone has deliberately used a stroller to attack someone. You get all kinds of people at Disneyland, and some of them don't exactly understand the concept of limits or reasonable behavior once they get angry. For that matter, there are women raising their kids in prison, so obviously antisocial (or even criminal) behavior doesn't stop simply because someone has a child.

Once I remember seeing a mom with a kid getting into an argument with another customer in line at a Costco. A new register had opened up, and the solo customer jumped into it before mom with kid. The mom with the kid got upset that she took the place in line first and let her know about it. They started jawing, and mom was yelling about "don't talk to me like that around my child" while at the same time yelling and screaming. It was obvious that mom screaming was contributing (probably the biggest reason) to the child crying, but mom would stop because she "felt disrespected". Eventually a manager saw this and offered to open up a register just to serve this mom and separate the arguing parties.

Now mom didn't have a stroller. However, I don't believe for a second that she wouldn't have at least thought of bumping this other woman with it had she had one there, even with a kid in it.

Really? You are certain she she would have attacked her? So did she ram her with her shopping cart instead?

And I have 2 kids, and if I'm ever solo in the grocery store, I always let a mom with kids go in front. It's common courtesy.
And I'm really confused by how a child being raised in a prison contributed to OP's repeated ramming by a stroller?

I do not tell stories and I did report the incidents on Dis at the time they happened. Believe me or not, thats your choice.
And Disneyland is not just a place for "childrens joy", its a place where people of ALL ages can come to have fun and be with their families.
Not sure where you got the only children thing...:)

Jack

Edit note: I also broke the fingers on my hand when my daughter closed a GCH door on the in the door jam...ouch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter