I hate running!

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
Let me be more specific - I hate running for distance, especially on a treadmill. I feel like crap during and I feel even worse the next day.

You know what I love? Walking quickly or interval training on an elliptical. I also love Zumba classes. I can do any of those for an hour, work up a good sweat and get my heart pumping, and ENJOY it. I'm also not in pain the next day

But according to the trainer at the gym I'm not going to lose any more weight unless I start running. According to him, I'm not in shape since I can't run for 20 minutes.

Can I get some encouragement from others who don't run as part of their exercise program, but have lost weight and are in good cardiovascular shape? If it matters, I have incorporated strength training in to my routine too.

Fire the trainer, IMO.

The fittest guy I know does crossfit, and there's not much running in that.

Do what you love to do, and you'll do it more. And get more fit.

With weight loss, most of it is done in the kitchen. It's easy to eat away the calories burned during exercise. I would make sure you aren't out-eating what you do, do what you like doing, and ignore the trainer.

I like to run and hate to walk. I also dislike Zumba. So I don't do Zumba and I don't walk for fitness. Your body likes other things!

I used to run for an hour and I could barely handle an eliptical.

When I was talking to a trainer he told me I wasn't losing weight because I wasn't challenging my body enough. Sure I could run but it wasn't hard for me. Same for Zumba, I got a good sweat, but the cardio kickboxing was sooo much harder.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Ana

First of all, running on a treadmill is so much different than running outside. I ran my first marathon at WDW and did very very few training runs on the treadmill because I dislike it so much.

With that being said, you don't have to run to get into shape. Take a class or two at your gym, keep doing the elliptical, swim if you can or even walk. Losing weight isn't about how far you can run (some people gain weight when they run) or much exercise you can do. It's not about dieting either. Losing weight is plain and simple, burning more calories than you consume. For every 3,500 calories you burn in excess of what you eat, you will lose a pound. It's all about eating healthier foods and exercising (not necessarily running).

My wife and I both lost significant weight when we started using Myfitnesspal on our phones and recording everything that we ate. It was shocking to find out how many calories are in certain things. It also helped us exercise more. The more you exercised, the more calories you could consume for that particular day, so indirectly, it promoted exercise.

Finally, the gym should fire that trainer. To tell someone that they can't get in shape if they don't run is not the right way to motivate someone.

That trainer is wrong. Cardio doesn't have to be running. It could be biking, swimming, hiking, or a bunch of other stuff. Running is good and if you don't mind it as much when you aren't on a treadmill why not just run outside? I love running but hate the dreadmill (not a typo). There have been a few days this winter I had to resort to it because I have two races coming up in about a week and needed to get the miles in but I will run outside in the snow and single digit temperatures. With the right gear you can run outside even in the winter. I didn't resort to the treadmill run while training for the Disney Marathon. Both my 20 miles were in heavy snow but I got them done outside. 20 miles on the treadmill sounds like torture.

That being said if you are looking for weight loss as opposed to training to be a runner you can get just as good results, if not better, by doing intervals. Go to a track and do repeats or go into a gym and run ladder drills. I personally don't do speed work or intervals if it is below 50 degrees but around here there are indoor tracks you can use. Try to find one of those. I prefer an actual NCAA indoor track to the ones you find in most gyms.

That trainer is full of it! I am a runner, but I didn't fall in love with it until about a year ago. I was a year and over 100 pounds into my weight loss journey by then. You need to do something you enjoy. You may want to try it outside before you give up on it, but if you don't like it, don't do it!

Also, get a new trainer.

I love running - it is my passion - but I have done a few other routines that do a far better job of conditioning my "total" body than running. P90X or Insanity are perfect examples. Do either of those routines strenuously for a few months and your full body fitness level will be higher than even a very good runner.

So, when I run I remind myself that I need to do other things. Maybe this is what your trainer is telling you. Doing the same things over and over every day will cause you to plateau in results. Why? Because your body gets very efficient at performing those things. You don't work as hard to accomplish the same things that were a struggle weeks/months ago.

A personal example from this year - after training for a marathon for 6 months, and running the WDW half and full on back-to-back days with no fatigue afterward, I struggled to clear a heavy snowfall. Why? I was obviously very well conditioned. I was running sub-9 minute miles.

Because snow removal requires the use of very different muscles. Just 60 minutes of vigorous snow removal with a shovel had me exhausted.

I lost 35 lbs power walking and slightly watching what I ate. I power walked for a hour 5 times a week.:)

My knees are problematic and my orthopedic surgeon told me not to run so I walk fast and only recently have started doing a slow jog. Best half marathon walking is 2:11:12. Short strides and many more strides per mile compared to running burns more calories and is easier on the body.

Find another trainer.

McFlurry John

OP, I talked to my friend that I mentioned in my post, and the first words out of his mouth were "find another trainer".

My knees are problematic and my orthopedic surgeon told me not to run so I walk fast and only recently have started doing a slow jog. Best half marathon walking is 2:11:12. Short strides and many more strides per mile compared to running burns more calories and is easier on the body. Find another trainer. McFlurry John

You are fast! No need to run!

He's full of it!!

I also hate running!! There is nothing about it that I even remotely think is appealing. I wish I did, but I don't. I have learned that that's just me and have accepted that it's just not something I want to do or will do.

That said, I love to walk, take classes, videos, elliptical, arc trainer, swim, etc, etc. In fact I completed an inline skate marathon last year. Now, THAT's something I like!! Gliding! :) Lost a bunch of weight, great for my legs and body, not hard on the knees/feet, and it was a TON of fun!
And I plan on walking a half in a few months.

I've often said I would've tried out for the biggest loser a long time ago if they didn't make them run so darn much. LOL!! I would love to see a weightloss show that highlights all the other ways to stay healthy and lose without running.

So find what you love and go for it!! There are so many other options out there, doing something you don't enjoy is not going to benefit you, just make you resentful and more likely to give up.

Good luck!

I love running, and I hate all the things you mentioned! However, you don't have to be a runner to be in shape. I could walk/run for days, but I can barely make it through a 60 min zumba class!

I do use a treadmill most days as the only time I have to run is late in the evening and I am not running in the dark by myself! DH travels for work, and I can't leave my daughter home alone, so I run on the treadmill while she sleeps. I really don't mind it at all. I get to watch one of my shows (60 min ones) and get exercise at the same time.

I also play competitive volleyball 2x a week and practice 1x a week for 3 hours. I am trying to add on different activities, but I can't bring myself to go to a gym. I hate zumba, yoga, pilates, weight lighting, etc.

I would find another trainer!

I was a certified personal trainer for seven years, and have spent a lot of time training and working with athletes. You need to find a new trainer, because they don't know what they're talking about.

Distance running is only useful for distance runners, and even then, very few competitive and/or recreational distance runners ever step foot on a treadmill.

There are many more ways to exercise aerobically and achieve the same level of metabolism boost.

Zumba is actually a wonderful way to go. Along with any number of group training classes (ie: Les Mills, Bodypump, etc..).

When it comes to cardio, find something that works for you and is comfortable. Working out is supposed to help you feel better, not hurt you and make you feel worse.

So don't do something simply to achieve a random result, focus on what your goal is, and take steps to reach that goal. Don't bother arbitrarily doing an activity you hate for an unpredictable outcome.

YES! AGREE!!!!

I was my fittest when I was a powerwalker and doing half-marathons. I hate running, I can't breathe and it's too hard on my joints

Can I just add too that when I was running (intervals) shorter distances I was losing weight but once I stepped up my training for the 1/2 marathon, my weight plateaued until my training and the race was over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter