I hate credit cards

We unfortunately have large legal bills right now. They go on credit cards that we pay off monthly. The provider likes it because we don't carry a balance and they have their money. We have so far received $1000 in cash back and enough points for four round trip JetBlue tickets to Florida. I'm holding out for Turks and Caicos
The "provider" would like it better if you just made the minimum monthly payments for umpteen years, thereby paying them exponential amounts of interest above the principal of the original loan. They don't profit from people using cards as a convenience only and then having to award them perks for doing it. Any annal fee you pay is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to their real revenue stream, which is interest payments.

The "provider" would like it better if you just made the minimum monthly payments for umpteen years, thereby paying them exponential amounts of interest above the principal of the original loan. They don't profit from people using cards as a convenience only and then having to award them perks for doing it. Any annal fee you pay is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to their real revenue stream, which is interest payments.
Don't forget merchant fees. They've gotten quite good at making money off us paid-in-full CC users by charging fees to the merchants who accept them.

Reactions: ICF

Agree with the other poster that said credit card companies do make money off those that pay the card in full each month, if they didn't those that do this wouldn't continue getting more and more offers in the mail, they would actually want to cancel are cards if we were costing them money.

I set all of mine to make the minimum payment automatically just as a back-up to if I have a complete brain freeze and forget to pay one. I usually make a payment every week of all our current charges, just so the balances never build up to heart stopping levels. And if I've already made the payment, then the automatic payment doesn't occur. I have over the years a couple of times forgot to pay on time and that automatic payment has saved us.

Can you access your accounts online and set automatic payments?

Mine are all set up to automatically pay the minimum also. Just in case I overlook a due date. About half the time I pay off the full balance. I don't mind paying interest when I leave a balance.

I thought everyone on the Dis paid all their debts off in full every month? Is that not the case?

99% of my credit card debt is due to emergencies. I'm still paying off my two emergency trips home over 4 years ago when my grandfather was on his way out. Then I was stupid and got 2 other cards. Those cards are full now too. I hope to be able to pay them off with my tax refund this year. If I manage to pay one completely down it'll go in a drawer and not be touched again. It is already that way but it caries a balance so I can't just forget about it. It sucks when you are told you need X amount of money to get your dental work done and so you either have to put it on the card or not go once you max your insurance out. Now that, that problem is taken care of I almost never use my CC but still am working to pay off those initial large charges.

I thought everyone on the Dis paid all their debts off in full every month? Is that not the case?

lol, I think the Dis is like real life. pretty normal people. like any internet forum you only hear about the "best" of people character.

Everybody's kid's are honor role kids
Everybody's kids are great with money and have a kabillion bucks saved at 22
all the men are handsome
all the women are gorgeous, young and thin
Everyone lives in teeny, tiny houses, drive 10 year old cars and have absolutely no debt.
NO one will ever admit to going to disney while having credit card debt.

My husband always has had excellent credit. However, as his wife, I never had any credit of my own. I don't work, so I don't have my own income. I finally applied for my own cards, in my name. On the application, I used his salary as "our" income, and I finally got a credit card with my name on it, instead of his. It helped a lot, back in the early days of having to cash a check, and they wanted ID. Nobody wanted to cash my checks when it wasn't my name on the credit card. Long story short, I now have my own credit cards, and I pay them off each and every month in full. My husband and I both have 800 credit scores, although he carries balances on his cards, and I do not. I constantly ask him why he carries those balances, and gives those credit cards so much interest? He says he'd rather have the cash in the bank. Makes no sense.

My husband gives me a certain portion of his salary each month, and I pay most of the household bills out of that money. There's a small portion left over for "Me", and I have loved being able to handle expenses this way.

Credit cards can indeed get you into trouble, when the interest rates are so high, and you carry a balance. However, I use mine, solely for convenience. If I don't have the money to pay the bill when it arrives, I don't use the card. That's not saying that I never paid interest, because I have. It takes a long time to establish good credit, but you need to establish the good habits from the very beginning, so you stay out of trouble.

I love paying bills online, and not having to write all those checks. My husband still writes the checks for his accounts, but I pay almost all of the other bills online. The world is ever changing. It used to be, that you saved the money first, and then you spent it. The world don't work that way anymore. Now it's "have it today", and pay for it tomorrow.

Here's another curious fact about CC debt. When I had that "big bill" (see above), my credit score took a big hit (80 points). Not that it matters much to me as I don't have any need for a home loan or car loan, etc. However, when I then paid it off in FULL (before the due date), my credit score went back up, but by only 60 points. Weird. I would think from a credit perspective, this would look as "good" as it did "bad" (dinged for having high credit utilization). The one thing they say I could do to "raise" my score is to have an installment loan, like a mortgage or car payment. Not interested, thanks.
Did anything else change? Did you close or pay off anything? Did any old accounts fall off the report? There are many credit scores, did you get the exact same type of credit each score each time? There are so many things that can affect credit scores.

The provider of the services aka attys etc. and our cards don't have annual fees

Isn't it interesting that those who can least afford it pay the highest interest rates and those with good credit can pay ZERO.

Apparently the best way to deal with your cards is not to pay off the balance as you go along but every now and then to wait until the statement and THEN pay it off... this will seemingly help your credit score. At least, that's what I've heard. I feel so dirty doing that though!

Apparently the best way to deal with your cards is not to pay off the balance as you go along but every now and then to wait until the statement and THEN pay it off... this will seemingly help your credit score. At least, that's what I've heard. I feel so dirty doing that though!
The reason for that is it doesn't help your score if you never use the cards at all. Since most cards only report once a month (generally teh day they send our your statement) it doesn't look like you are using your cards if you don't sometimes have a balance when the statement comes out.

I guess the idea is if you have a card but never use it you haven't really shown that you would pay on time. Seems silly but whatever.

Most of my/our debt, unfortunately, is in our Mortgage and our Equity Line. My husband assures me that that is a positive thing, since he can write all of that interest off on our taxes. Too many refinances over the years. Emergencies can definitely put a damper on a well thought out plan. I have been married for 49 years, and only about 1/2 that time have I had my own credit cards. I'd like to go back, and do a few things differently, and maybe just maybe we would not have such a huge debt on our house.

I remember the days when we lived paycheck to paycheck. Those days were hard. At least, now we don't have a cash flow problem. It must be very difficult nowadays, because most families need two incomes to survive. I count myself lucky to have stayed out of the work force as I raised my 2 boys, and my grandson. Keep in mind that we never took any Disney trips back then, because we did not have any extra money at all.

Mine are all set up to automatically pay the minimum also. Just in case I overlook a due date. About half the time I pay off the full balance. I don't mind paying interest when I leave a balance.

This is made of win.

Did anything else change? Did you close or pay off anything? Did any old accounts fall off the report? There are many credit scores, did you get the exact same type of credit each score each time? There are so many things that can affect credit scores.

Nothing else different. No new cards. No new debts. Indeed, I have NO debt other than what goes on the credit card each month. No mortgage. No car payment. The only difference was the hit it took downward for a particularly large credit card bill (which I paid in full when due), and it coming back up (though not the full amount it went down) when I paid it off.

My credit score would definitely go up if I got a mortgage (and paid it appropriately) or a car loan, but I have no need of either. Won't do it just for the credit score. LOL. My credit score is still considered "excellent", it's just not as high as it was. Shrug.

I'll never understand credit scores as long as I live. Because I can pay cash for things (and do), I'm not as good of a credit risk as someone who carries a mortgage and a car loan? Whatever. I've had a whole bunch of home mortgages over my life, and all have been paid in full and always on time. Same with car loans. It's just that I've reached the point of not needing them now.

When life knocks you down, and you need cash, then having equity in your home is a good asset. I admit to having way too much credit. The banks love me for the interest I am paying them through my mortgage, and equity line. Yet they offer horrible rates on the other side in their saving accounts. The world is topsy turvy. You practically have to prove that you really don't need the money, in order to get it in an emergency. Their rules, and formulas for applying are ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter