• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I had to un-decorate my room window!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people decorate their rooms??? On our last two trips we were in our villa so little that we never would have been able to enjoy them.
Plus it takes time to put them up and take them down and then clean up. I have other things to do while on vacation.
I guess I just don't get it.
If I was going to be there for a major holiday- say Christmas, I'd probably bring along a little tree- more for my kids than myself. But the rest of it just seems kind of silly?? Like the stuff you see in college dorms. :confused3
It really does nothing for me- looks pretty tacky- and detracts from the overall look of the resort. I'm surprised it has been allowed at all.
Decorate your own homes and enjoy the decoration in your room for what it is. Disney spent a lot of money designing those resort rooms- enjoy the scenery!
-Sarah

Well, fortunately, everyone has the choice to decorate or not. If you don't like it, don't do it. There is no need to be negative and take joy away from others.

First of all, great job. But I'm thinking that the manager probably didn't want to encourage other guests to use markers to write on their windows. Although yours might have been washable, I'm sure people would use whatever was handy, including permenant markers.

Did you notice any othe windows decorated?
Maybe they were planning on taping a new DVD and needed "all areas clean" in case your room was somehow in the DVD?

I'd have to agree they probably thought your markers were real =]
not so sure about the dvd thing though :confused3 , thats ashame your window looked really really great! :yay:

Why do people decorate their rooms??? On our last two trips we were in our villa so little that we never would have been able to enjoy them.
Plus it takes time to put them up and take them down and then clean up. I have other things to do while on vacation.
I guess I just don't get it.
If I was going to be there for a major holiday- say Christmas, I'd probably bring along a little tree- more for my kids than myself. But the rest of it just seems kind of silly?? Like the stuff you see in college dorms. :confused3
It really does nothing for me- looks pretty tacky- and detracts from the overall look of the resort. I'm surprised it has been allowed at all.
Decorate your own homes and enjoy the decoration in your room for what it is. Disney spent a lot of money designing those resort rooms- enjoy the scenery!
-Sarah

Well, lots of people enjoy it a lot and if your going for a while (like my next trip is for ten days) then you have time to decorate and take it down. Makes it a more magical :wizard: experience for some people I geuss =] But you know if you dont like it thats cool too =]

we just got back from Allstar Sports and had 2 rooms.. I decorated both windows with cling like disney decorations and had no problems..

The only thing I can think is that they didnt like the writing on the windows maybe..

I thought it looked great by the way!

Well, lots of people enjoy it a lot and if your going for a while (like my next trip is for ten days) then you have time to decorate and take it down. Makes it a more magical :wizard: experience for some people I geuss =] But you know if you dont like it thats cool too =]

I just wanted to say that this is a very nice and polite response.

I too wonder why people would want to decorate their windows but didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to be called rude.

Boy, I've heard that some Dissers decorate their rooms/windows/doors but have never seen even one room decorated in all my visits to WDW! :confused3 We always stay at CBR, do they decorate there, too? I think it would be pretty cool to see them, a fun welcome sight on the way back to our room that you look forward to seeing each day/night! Kind of like at Xmas time when you get excited to see all the neighbors Xmas lights and drive around to see everything once in a while. :goodvibes
:goodvibes

We always stay at CBR also; the only time I've really seen the windows decorated was during our Dec. trips.

Our last Dec. trip, Mousekeeping had a towel wreath hanging in our window.

The only thing I've ever put in the window was during our son's b'day trip; I had a paper banner made with Disney characters and our son's name with age printed.

I can see Disney not wanting people to go over board and how do you control how much someone puts up and the possibility of someone writing with real markers.

Every Christmas we've gone to Disney they've never said anything about our windows being decorated. Since we drive to Disney, we always bring along a small tree that we put in the room, and window clings, and such. One year we even had Christmas lights. We've NEVER used tape, because I know how horrible it is to clean the tape residue. Opt for the Suction cup hooks and the magic putty. I would not recommend using ANY type of window marker or chalk.

I've decorated my windows at Pop a few times during MouseFest. During the holiday season, it's quite common to see Christmas lights, manoras, clings, and other stuff in the windows at the value resorts. It seems to be a little less common at the Mods and Deluxes, but you will sometimes see decorated windows, patios, and balconies at Poly and at the garden wing of Contemporary.

In fact, there are actually window decorating contests during MouseFest, where entrants try to out-do each other to win small prize packages. Some of the entrants are very elaborate, though I have rarely seen any kind or writing on the glass itself.

I have only used clings, and battery-illuminated iceicles hanging from suction-cup hooks to decorate my windows.

th282-001.jpg
th282-036.jpg

Either way, how can they charge you if you don't get the message? Example, I have NEVER looked at the phone in my last 16 (yes, 16) stays. I wouldn't know if I had a message unless the phone started screaming at me. So they would have a big problem if they tried to put unauthorized charges on my credit card.

OP, did you call and speak to the manager before you took your decor down?

Don't worry, if anyone ever left a message on your resort phone, you'd know it instantly - there's a BIG, RED, BLINKING LIGHT on the phone that is instantly visible when you enter, particularly at night. Even if you miss it during the day, you'll see it as soon as you turn off the lights to go to sleep; it lights up the whole room.

I would think that if Disney felt they were a fire hazard they would advise the guests that this is a no-no. I don't see how it is different than hanging lights in your own home. Do you think that folks do something odd with the lights that would expose guests to an abnormally hazardous situation?

Well, to be fair, Christmas lights often do post a fire hazard from loose wires, shorts in the strings, mis-matched replacement bulbs, and overloaded outlets.

The lights could also post a trip hazard from extension cords, and broken glass hazard if a bulb were broken during installation or removal.

So I can understand Disney - or any hotel - being a little leary of letting Guests put up a bunch of Christmas lights or trees anywhere in their rooms.

Anyway, where can I find disney window clings?

Make your own! Inkjet printable window cling material is readily available at all office supply stores, all craft stores, many computer stores, lots of online computer supply retailers, and even WalMart and Target.

All you need to do is comose some images in any program - Word, Publisher, Powerpoint, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or any other program that can print our an image. You will need to print it reversed if you want to stick the cling to the inside of the window (most printers have a mirror option in the Properties or Setting box), and pretty soon you have some easy to use and easy to remove window decorations.

Originally Posted by Minniekins
Anyway, where can I find disney window clings?
Make your own! Inkjet printable window cling material is readily available at all office supply stores, all craft stores, many computer stores, lots of online computer supply retailers, and even WalMart and Target.

All you need to do is comose some images in any program - Word, Publisher, Powerpoint, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or any other program that can print our an image. You will need to print it reversed if you want to stick the cling to the inside of the window (most printers have a mirror option in the Properties or Setting box), and pretty soon you have some easy to use and easy to remove window decorations.

Wow, that's so cool! I never knew you could print your window clings at home! That could be pretty neat but I have to figure out how to use the rest of the stuff now! Thanks very much for the info, that's great to know! You could do all sorts of things with that then - I could see my daughter wanting to make Jonas Brothers clings for herself here at home, lol! :goodvibes

Slightly off topic for a moment...sorry but...how fun is that! I didn't know you could make your own clings so easily. Could you use photograghs too? I would love to do this with a class at school!:idea:

Slightly off topic for a moment...sorry but...how fun is that! I didn't know you could make your own clings so easily. Could you use photograghs too? I would love to do this with a class at school!:idea:

You can use anything you want on them. They simply go into a normal inkjet printer, and you print on them from any program you have.

One thing I have found, however, is that the printable cling material is transparent, so the printed images tend to be very transluscent, so a photograph will probably look pretty washed-out when light shines through it. But the image will be clear and readable.

I'd like to find some inkjet cling material that's solid white; that would make for a much more solid image. So far all I've seen is clear, though.

You can use anything you want on them. They simply go into a normal inkjet printer, and you print on them from any program you have.

One thing I have found, however, is that the printable cling material is transparent, so the printed images tend to be very transluscent, so a photograph will probably look pretty washed-out when light shines through it. But the image will be clear and readable.

I'd like to find some inkjet cling material that's solid white; that would make for a much more solid image. So far all I've seen is clear, though.

Here's a link to a thread I started on how to make clings non-translucent.

Thanks so much for the tips, I will have some fun playing with this figuring it out this weekend!:thumbsup2

We upgraded to a laser printer, so I'm bummed the window cling option is out for me (but it makes such nice photos!)
My kids and I have had fun making window clings with a window cling kit from Klutz. Check the web site- they have more colors to order than the craft stores have in stock. I found lots of Disney coloring books at the dollar store and even one that is Christmas related. :santa:Easy-peasy and they have fun "painting" the decorations. If you don't want to spend $$ on the Klutz brand, mixing tempra paint and elmers glue works also. Just paint on a piece of plastic- I use sheet protectors- and let dry for several days.

I like the windows decorative free, except for Christmas time, I could see having a small tree or lights. Having decorations up sort of distracts and takes away from the themeing of the resorts. While it may be fun for some, the overall "look" of the resorts is much cleaner without window adornments.

I'm glad to see there were non-flaming responses to people asking about why people take the time to put up decorations. I always wondered that, too. Heck, I can barely fit all my girly stuff into a suitcase nevermind making room for decorations!! :rotfl2:

I appreciate it when other people do it, but I never could understand why people do it. :flower3:

I'm glad to see there were non-flaming responses to people asking about why people take the time to put up decorations. I always wondered that, too. Heck, I can barely fit all my girly stuff into a suitcase nevermind making room for decorations!! :rotfl2:

I appreciate it when other people do it, but I never could understand why people do it. :flower3:

I can tell you some reasons, it was fun planning the window, it was fun doing the window and it was fun when people stopped and complimented me on the window. It made things seem a little more homey. The biggest reason, I could find my room!

We went to Disney last year for Christmas, stayed in ASMu Suite. We had two windows to decorate, all Clings, and we brought a 3 ft tree, decorated it with Disney decorations I made for the tree. We only plugged it in when we were in the room in the evenings. Also, I made a Mickey head wreath that we hung on the door with one of the over the door hangers. Never had any comments to take it down.

I will be checking with Disney re: decorating windows closer to our next trip to see what the rules are, hope I can still decorate as I am already planning our decorations for Sep/oct 2009.

One last remark, window clings take up no space in the luggage.

Do the rooms at the CR have metal doors? It looks like I am going to have to rethink my holiday window decorating plans for December now. :sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter