I Guess there's a Positive Side to Testing Positive (for Travel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetiredChipmunk

DISBride
Hi everyone,

Husband and I recovered from COVID around Christmas which in itself was a horrible experience and a real damper to end the year, but over a month later we've actually been optimistic and seen some brighter parts of the whole situation in retrospect:

Just a little background:
  • We have all our shots - Ironically we think we caught it while in line for our Third jab, there was no separation in the room between us and folks getting tested at the time
  • We had trips planned down to Walt Disney World, so immediately asked for a printout of our results from the doctor after our isolation period, along with a note that said we were fit for travel and were prepared for whatever would happen travelling with a Past Positive Recovery

The Positives:
  • We haven't had to pay for a single Pre-Departure test since then. No more worrying about finding availability within 24 hour before the flight and waiting for results, or paying a high amount for a rapid one.
  • Checking in and getting onto the plane has been a breeze and out of the 6 times now they've only ever really looked once for an actual doctor's note, otherwise they haven't bothered, especially recently.
  • We haven't needed to worry about finding somewhere to get a test in the States before leaving (and all of the worry about getting there, and waiting for results, etc.)
  • And again no problems getting back on flights to Toronto from Florida with a past positive, the most recent two flights they didn't even ask for a test result, only vaccination status.
The Negative:
  • Obviously don't recommend anyone to intentionally get Covid, even though our symptoms were considered "mild" by the doctor, it still sucked and definitely shocks you when you suddenly realize you can't taste anything.
  • Of course this is only while it lasts for 90 days heading into the States, and 180-Days coming back to Canada.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

All your positives are great points. Unfortunately most people aren't able to get pcr tests when they are sick now. I have friends who have children who are sick who are just being told to go home and isolate as if they are positive.

All your positives are great points. Unfortunately most people aren't able to get pcr tests when they are sick now. I have friends who have children who are sick who are just being told to go home and isolate as if they are positive.

Agreed and wish PCRs were still available for all. Your only option now is to pay for your own PCR at a private clinic, most of which won’t take you as a positive case until 14 days post-onset of symptoms. And by then you may still get your positive test result, or you may test negative and then it was a waste of money. It‘s a flawed system for sure.

I have recommended to a friend to order the Switch Health test, came in 2 days, she had the results back two days later and has her positive. It was $149 and she didn't have to leave her house.

I have recommended to a friend to order the Switch Health test, came in 2 days, she had the results back two days later and has her positive. It was $149 and she didn't have to leave her house.
While a good alternative to some (I plan on using these for my next Disney trip) it is cost prohibitive to a lot of people. Specially families where it could cost 600 bucks or more.

Did I jinx myself creating the Covid testing FAQ? I just tested positive on Walgreens test 🤦‍♀️ Getting a second test tomorrow to be sure, but odds were not in my favour as one travel companion tested positive yesterday. The other two are negative and will be able to go home. I got the Manulife insurance. I’ll be contacting them tomorrow once I have confirmation.

Did I jinx myself creating the Covid testing FAQ? I just tested positive on Walgreens test 🤦‍♀️ Getting a second test tomorrow to be sure, but odds were not in my favour as one travel companion tested positive yesterday. The other two are negative and will be able to go home. I got the Manulife insurance. I’ll be contacting them tomorrow once I have confirmation.
I plan on going home regardless of my test results. If I get fined I plan on disputing it because there is no way to prove that it wasn't a positive from months before since testing isn't allowed for most in the general public. The fines would be punative.

I plan on going home regardless of my test results. If I get fined I plan on disputing it because there is no way to prove that it wasn't a positive from months before since testing isn't allowed for most in the general public. The fines would be punative.

good luck and keep us posted!

You'd be driving, right?

Just drove back from DL this past Thursday after a positive test. The rest of the family flew back negative.

Border was super easy and everyone was very respectful. The CBSA officer advised me that as long as you can provide a clear quarantine plan and put no one as risk to transition to your place of quarantine (mine was 15 minutes away) there is no issues.

Hi everyone,

Husband and I recovered from COVID around Christmas which in itself was a horrible experience and a real damper to end the year, but over a month later we've actually been optimistic and seen some brighter parts of the whole situation in retrospect:

Just a little background:
  • We have all our shots - Ironically we think we caught it while in line for our Third jab, there was no separation in the room between us and folks getting tested at the time
  • We had trips planned down to Walt Disney World, so immediately asked for a printout of our results from the doctor after our isolation period, along with a note that said we were fit for travel and were prepared for whatever would happen travelling with a Past Positive Recovery

The Positives:
  • We haven't had to pay for a single Pre-Departure test since then. No more worrying about finding availability within 24 hour before the flight and waiting for results, or paying a high amount for a rapid one.
  • Checking in and getting onto the plane has been a breeze and out of the 6 times now they've only ever really looked once for an actual doctor's note, otherwise they haven't bothered, especially recently.
  • We haven't needed to worry about finding somewhere to get a test in the States before leaving (and all of the worry about getting there, and waiting for results, etc.)
  • And again no problems getting back on flights to Toronto from Florida with a past positive, the most recent two flights they didn't even ask for a test result, only vaccination status.
The Negative:
  • Obviously don't recommend anyone to intentionally get Covid, even though our symptoms were considered "mild" by the doctor, it still sucked and definitely shocks you when you suddenly realize you can't taste anything.
  • Of course this is only while it lasts for 90 days heading into the States, and 180-Days coming back to Canada.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
Same boat here. 3/5 of our party caught Covid within 1 month. Won't need to get tested for vacation but wow they've had it hard! My daughter has been sick for 4 days. Getting better. Now I'm crossing my fingers I either get it right now or don't. We're supposed to leave in 21 days...

Could I drive across the border and fly out of Buffalo without showing a letter of clearance?
Or would they require one at Buffalo airport?

My positive date was a month ago and it’s been just as much headache to get a letter of clearance as scheduling a PCR test with the right time frame.
$70 for each of us to get a clearance letter when it’s only $20 for the rapid test😡

Same boat here. 3/5 of our party caught Covid within 1 month. Won't need to get tested for vacation but wow they've had it hard! My daughter has been sick for 4 days. Getting better. Now I'm crossing my fingers I either get it right now or don't. We're supposed to leave in 21 days...
I learned you are in the “danger zone” for up to 14 days after being exposed

I learned you are in the “danger zone” for up to 14 days after being exposed
Yes. But it depends on the variant. With Omicron you develop symptoms pretty fast. I'm negative now. No symptoms and 3XVaxxed. I'm going to go get a PCR 11 days before leaving. It will have been 13 days after my daughter's + test. If I take into account that she was probably contagious between 2-10 days before, if I get a neg test It probably means that I won't catch it. Or maybe I'm wishing this LOL Crossing my fingers!

Just drove back from DL this past Thursday after a positive test. The rest of the family flew back negative.

Border was super easy and everyone was very respectful. The CBSA officer advised me that as long as you can provide a clear quarantine plan and put no one as risk to transition to your place of quarantine (mine was 15 minutes away) there is no issues.

So let me get this straight. The border guard let you through with a positive test and didn't send you to the secondary public health rep? And no threat of a fine?

Could I drive across the border and fly out of Buffalo without showing a letter of clearance?
Or would they require one at Buffalo airport?

My positive date was a month ago and it’s been just as much headache to get a letter of clearance as scheduling a PCR test with the right time frame.
$70 for each of us to get a clearance letter when it’s only $20 for the rapid test😡

What do you need a letter of clearance for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter