• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I guess DCL can get $48K for a Fantasy cabin . . .

disneywonderfun

DIS Veteran
Just noticed the Xmas 2013 week in a Royal Suite on the Fantasy disappeared from availability as of today. For our family of 4, DCL wanted over $48K. Yes, 48K. Also noticed Easter week in 2015 has the Walt Suite already booked at a cost of almost $37K for a family of four. Although these prices are beyond our tipping point, I guess I am not surprised a subset of people still find hem justified. The math in my head is $48k divided by 7 night cruise = about $7K a day = $300 per hour = $5 a minute. I could stay in the least expensive cabin and have a spa service every minute of every day of the cruise with Remy for food breaks and still spend probably only half as much!

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I do find this high end pricing to be amazing.

DWF

P.S. Sorry, must have put my dates in wrong, Xmas 2013 is still available. But, Easter 2015 did book as mentioned.

I think I could up with a much better trip for $700/day. I enjoy cruising, but not that much. ;)

Just noticed the Xmas 2013 week in a Royal Suite on the Fantasy disappeared from availability as of today. For our family of 4, DCL wanted over $48K. Yes, 48K. Also noticed Easter week in 2015 has the Walt Suite already booked at a cost of almost $37K for a family of four. Although these prices are beyond our tipping point, I guess I am not surprised a subset of people still find hem justified. The math in my head is $48k divided by 7 night cruise = about $7K a day = $300 per hour = $5 a minute. I could stay in the least expensive cabin and have a spa service every minute of every day of the cruise with Remy for food breaks and still spend probably only half as much!

DWF

P.S. Sorry, must have put my dates in wrong, Xmas 2013 is still available. But, Easter 2015 did book as mentioned.

As a Disney shareholder, I would be disappointed if Disney didn't charge what the market could bear. As a Disney customer and fan, the price increases I have seen with the new schedule are impressive.

Mike

DWF

ok for $48,000 you should never have to pick up a phone and call concierge, you should have your own butler. And for $48,000 you shouldn't have to reserve a cabana, it should be automatic. And for $48,000 you should have special seating at shows. Sorry $48,000 should come with a little more than movie popcorn, arcade cards, lithograph and soda refills! Just sayin....

ok for $48,000 you should never have to pick up a phone and call concierge, you should have your own butler. And for $48,000 you shouldn't have to reserve a cabana, it should be automatic. And for $48,000 you should have special seating at shows. Sorry $48,000 should come with a little more than movie popcorn, arcade cards, lithograph and soda refills! Just sayin....

And you should have a golf cart pick you up from the ship and take you to and from your cabana. ;)

$48k is no more shocking than our neighbor who shelled out $75k for a Tesla. I guess he had plenty of money burning a hole in his pocket.

As a Disney shareholder, I would be disappointed if Disney didn't charge what the market could bear. As a Disney customer and fan, the price increases I have seen with the new schedule are impressive.

Mike

Mike, I'm a Disney shareholder as well, have been for years. This saying that you are a Disney shareholder does not have any weight in this issue, nor does it impress anyone.

You have to give your customers a good product or service at a fair price to have and keep repeat customers, this is only good business sense. You need those repeat customers. It can't be solely driven by money.

The repeat customers then will offer by word of mouth what a good product or service they received and new customers will show up. Without those repeat customers your business will be doomed. They will start looking else where for that same or similar product or service. I have seen and read on here where people are doing just that. You have to remember you are not the only fish in the sea. People realize that they are going to pay more for the Disney experience, whether it be the parks or their cruise line. But if prices keep going up they will soon price themselves out of the market. As I mentioned before there are other companies out there that offer just as good a product or service as Disney. They need to stay competitive.

I don't know why I'm drawn to these discussions. It must be why others slow to almost a stop to look at a car accident on the opposite side of a highway.

It's very simple economics. You charge what the market will bear. You match the supply with the demand. I would argue that Disney is making a huge mistake is pricing if there are no suites available 1 day after they go on the market. It means they are charging too little for them. No one seems to complain all that much when they build new ships or add new attractions. All of that comes at a price. I agree with the prior poster/shareholder. While I no longer have a position in Disney, I would expect two things. First, the company must embrace a sustainable business plan. Second, they must maximize profits. I think Disney does a remarkable job on both fronts.

My family and I will not be able to cruise at the prices they are charging for non-discounted fares. Oh well...that is life. I am very thankful I have been able to go on the cruises I have. Perhaps I'll snag a discount some time, I'll make more money, or Disney will find they are not selling at the price levels they are at and lower them.

davidls said:
Mike, I'm a Disney shareholder as well, have been for years. This saying that you are a Disney shareholder does not have any weight in this issue, nor does it impress anyone.

You have to give your customers a good product or service at a fair price to have and keep repeat customers, this is only good business sense. You need those repeat customers. It can't be solely driven by money.

The repeat customers then will offer by word of mouth what a good product or service they received and new customers will show up. Without those repeat customers your business will be doomed. They will start looking else where for that same or similar product or service. I have seen and read on here where people are doing just that. You have to remember you are not the only fish in the sea. People realize that they are going to pay more for the Disney experience, whether it be the parks or their cruise line. But if prices keep going up they will soon price themselves out of the market. As I mentioned before there are other companies out there that offer just as good a product or service as Disney. They need to stay competitive.

Not sure why you felt a need to attack the guy. All he is saying is that he was looking at the price increases from two different points of view. I can't say I disagree with him.

If people are buying what is disney doing wrong? Sorry if you think it's priced to high for what your getting but if the parks are full, and the cruises are full what's wrong. No one said family entertainment = cheap.

To pp what is your point? Will the family paying 40k tell more or less people with disposable income to spend on a vacation versus someone buying discounted fares. Can I cruise or vacation everyday? No but when I do I do tend to look third disney more times than not bc for my investment u feel I get the most value back for my money. When they price it past what I'm willing to pay then ill need to do something else.

As another post pointed out, last time prices changed there was an uproar of people stomping feet and swearing they'd never cruise again, and maybe some of them did but that hasn't stopped the ships from filling up.

I don't know why I'm drawn to these discussions. It must be why others slow to almost a stop to look at a car accident on the opposite side of a highway.....

:rotfl2: :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

ETA; For 4 pax it comes to around $115/per awake hour in the R @$48K. Isn't that a good rate? It's below $120 per pax. Oh wait ... that was per day not hour. My bad. lol.

Someone probably just finished their quarter and got a good 6 digit bonus. Hence a 40K room is chump change.

40K for someone making 40mill is the same as 100 for someone making 100K

Someone probably just finished their quarter and got a good 6 digit bonus. Hence a 40K room is chump change.

40K for someone making 40mill is the same as 100 for someone making 100K

True, but I am also a fan of spending smarter. I could never justify (in my mind) spending that much for what you get. To me, it's just not worth it. But I also am a big fan of agreeing to disagree. :)

Great points and very well said. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter