I gotta say... I was shocked.

I tried to snub everyone who cheered for me. And I even made some hand gestures. I just kept saying, "Leave me alone, you obnoxious #@&$^!!!"

Kidding. No seriously, sincere apologies if it appeared you weren't getting responses from people on the cheers. It really was truly appreciated, I can tell you that. Like others have said, I too have to get in the zone a lot of times through the tough stretches just to make it through, and I know I've zoned out and not been aware of the cheering around me at times, too. But I will say again that it is really appreciated. Thanks for your support, and hope you can stick around and get to know everyone.

Steve

I was told later that several people cheered for me at mile 13 but I didn't respond. I honestly don't remember hearing it. I was concentrating on just going forward.
Yup - I can vouch for Martha being out of it! :rotfl:
I was yelling like a fool at you at the AK entrance, and you didn't notice.
I certainly did not take it personally though. :hug:

Please don't take what you perceived as us being snobs or whatnot.
That truly could not be further from the truth.
These people on this board are the best! :goodvibes

I have to make one more comment here. beucase it turned into a bit of a joke between me and my friend matt who were stuggling the last 6 miles. A lot of the fans cheering told us we were "almost there" and we were "looking great". 1) I KNEW that I was NOT looking great. and 2) after hearing "almost there" for over an hour (since I swear at about mile 15!!!) it just wasnt doing it to us. we joked that the fans "lost credibility miles ago with the whole almost there cr*p" --note we were using humor to ward off the pain etc. so this is not meant to offend any of the great fans. In fact my dear friend Donna was there at mile 26 right before the gospel choir and when she (rightfully) cheered we were "almost there" we both told her to be quiet (laughingly...) yes we appreciated it but if you saw us roll our eyes if you cheered for us--that might be why--it was a joke between us the runners and not meant as an afront to the fans. 6.5 hours was a long time to motivate each other and yes we kept ourselves moving at your expence. but know if you were not there--we owuld have missed you terribly.

Well, I don't have much to add, except my personal experience. By the time we were leaving AK, I was quickly "losing it" and by the time we hit the turnaround at mile 20, I was sure I was done. I am not sure I HEARD much less could have acknowledged anyone cheering for me. In fact, someone told me DD19 was in MGM and that is the only reason I kept moving. When I saw her at 23, I was glad she ran up to me -- I thought I was headed for a bench to call it a day and "done." I have absolutely NO recollection of who was at mile 24, and to this day, my dear friends Stephanie and Scott will tell you they cheered for me in WS and I dearly WISH I had a specific recollection of that. On top of all of this, I have severe vision issues -- I wouldn't have recognized anything other than a green shirt.

I am truly sorry if you felt snubbed and I assure you that most participants are moving forward on the adrenaline of the crowd when there is nothing left inside of their own bodies. Do not doubt for a SECOND that your efforts were appreciated, even if participants didn't acknowledge you then.

Oh, and a funny tidbit -- as we were leaving AK I told my dear friend and race partner that I was putting on my ipod because I was quickly approaching the " BITE ME!" zone and didn't want to subject her to my mood. Fortunately, I knew she wouldn't take it personally, but I gotta tell you. . . it is ROUGH out there.

Thanks again, so much for your support! :grouphug:

I tried to snub everyone who cheered for me. And I even made some hand gestures. I just kept saying, "Leave me alone, you obnoxious #@&$^!!!"

Steve

seeing that you are a Pittsburgh fan that lives in Cincinnati - I would imagine this is learned behavior!! ;)

I guess I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Don't you remember, I was wearing a lime-green thong. ;) :cool2: :)

Aah, yes Vic, I remember well. . . very well. :thumbsup2 :love:

As a scream teamer at Mile 20, I can confirm that almost every participant was in the "Bite Me" zone at that point. Anne and I cheered and cheered and gave lots of encouragement (and ice), but very few people could muster a smile or a thank you. Having run the marathon the year before, I knew exactly what they were thinking: "Just kill me now" I am sorry WISHers seemed ungrateful or unfriendly, but at that point in the race, they really were just concentrating all their energy on getting one foot in front of the other to finally reach the finish line and get that Mickey medal.

I have to make one more comment here. beucase it turned into a bit of a joke between me and my friend matt who were stuggling the last 6 miles. A lot of the fans cheering told us we were "almost there" and we were "looking great". 1) I KNEW that I was NOT looking great. and 2) after hearing "almost there" for over an hour (since I swear at about mile 15!!!) it just wasnt doing it to us. we joked that the fans "lost credibility miles ago with the whole almost there cr*p" --note we were using humor to ward off the pain etc. so this is not meant to offend any of the great fans. In fact my dear friend Donna was there at mile 26 right before the gospel choir and when she (rightfully) cheered we were "almost there" we both told her to be quiet (laughingly...) yes we appreciated it but if you saw us roll our eyes if you cheered for us--that might be why--it was a joke between us the runners and not meant as an afront to the fans. 6.5 hours was a long time to motivate each other and yes we kept ourselves moving at your expence. but know if you were not there--we owuld have missed you terribly.

I could not agree with you more! I remember last year outside of MGM and people saying "you only have a 5K to go!" and I thought to myself "you get your #@&%^ butt out here and run a #*^%@#$ 5K!" :upsidedow And yeah, I did tell people at mile 24 that they are looking great, but it was the truth! Yeah, you all looked like death, but you just ran or walked 24 miles and you are still standing up--that's looking pretty good to me!! :goodvibes

Krista

Ali - :hug: Believe me, your cheers made a difference for us.

Like many have said before me, the BMZ started a little before AK for many of us. I often heard cheers from non-WISHers at AK and HS but sometimes it didn't register until after I passed them. I usually smiled after the fact. If I couldn't muster a smile for some reason, then there was a smile in my heart. It was those cheers (from WISHers and non-WISHers alike) that played a big part in keeping me going.

By the way, I have to tell you a funny story about the half last year. I wore a WISH shirt and my running buddy wore a TnT shirt for the race. We figured we had both bases covered in getting the cheers. :rotfl:

Thank you, Ali, for being there for us. :hug:

I could not agree with you more! I remember last year outside of MGM and people saying "you only have a 5K to go!" and I thought to myself "you get your #@&%^ butt out here and run a #*^%@#$ 5K!" :upsidedow And yeah, I did tell people at mile 24 that they are looking great, but it was the truth! Yeah, you all looked like death, but you just ran or walked 24 miles and you are still standing up--that's looking pretty good to me!! :goodvibes

Krista

Krista, I was one of those obnoxious people at around mile 26 last year that told people how great they look and that the finish is just around the corner. I got so many *go to @#%$* looks and I just couldn't figure out why. :rolleyes1 :laughing:

Krista, I was one of those obnoxious people at around mile 26 last year that told people how great they look and that the finish is just around the corner. I got so many *go to @#%$* looks and I just couldn't figure out why. :rolleyes1 :laughing:
my DH and I cheered in MGM this year and I jsut tried to yell - you can do it - you are almost there -

my DH kept yelling - you are looking great and I tried to explain to him that wasn't such a good idea - we had done the half and truthfully I could not imagine doing the full!!

Ali,
I'll join in and apologize if I was one of those that missed you cheering me on at AK. As I'm going though a course, I tend to lock in on either bright green, someone saying "wish", or someone saying "Denny". Any of those gets a response, and either a thanks and a thumbs up, or words of encouragement if they're in the race.

We REALLY do appreciate everyone out there to support us. I felt especially bad when I saw Anne at Mile 20 with orange slices. I knew she went to all that trouble to bring them out to help us, but by that point I couldn't eat anything else. I really wanted to take an orange from Anne, but I couldn't. Same with Kathy and her "whips" after MGM. I really appreciated that she brought them and as much as I wanted to take one to show her I appreciated it, I couldn't. If I had tried to eat anything at that point, someone would have had to perform the Heimlich on me.

To Ali, and Anne, and Kathy, and everyone else that was out there, we REALLY do appreciate the support you provide, even if we can't fully partake of it at that moment.

I felt especially bad when I saw Anne at Mile 20 with orange slices. I knew she went to all that trouble to bring them out to help us, but by that point I couldn't eat anything else. I really wanted to take an orange from Anne, but I couldn't. Same with Kathy and her "whips" after MGM. I really appreciated that she brought them and as much as I wanted to take one to show her I appreciated it, I couldn't. If I had tried to eat anything at that point, someone would have had to perform the Heimlich on me.
GOod point Denny. I'm surwe I gave Anne and Kathy soem nasty looks. SO nice for ao many, but I cannot do food durign or after running.

LOL!! YOu guys are too funny!!!

That's okay about the whips.. we had fun with them later, back in the room!:lmao: :lmao:

Kathy, I thought it was funny at the time because I really wanted to eat my whip!!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

Ali I'm so sorry you had such a terrible time. I have to say with the others that it was literally how awful we felt. I know I was trying to smile and wave and I remember thinking that my smiles felt like a snarl. I felt like I'd been run over by multiple buses and was beginning to be tempted to jump in front of one for real.

At AK if you caught me looking grumpy it was totally at my Mom (crazy woman with camera next to Kristi and Jim). She was going nuts taking photos of me and all I noticed was she had my sunglass case in her hands closed and no sight of my glasses. I had to come to a complete stop and wait for her to fumble then I took a few steps and dropped my beloved sponge. Thought about turning and getting it and mentally said screw it, if it didn't like me enough to stay in my hands then it could lay there LOL

I tried to smile and wave to people all along the course and I think in the future when I do another full I'll need to wear a sign saying 'thank you, i might be to miserible to say thanks, smile or even wave but i lubs you'

the people on the sidelines yelling are taken to heart. i know for me i truly was entering the zone out phase when i left the AK. i saw Anne before MGM and she knows I just love her to pieces but I think she didn't even get a smile. I was sooo out of it I think she grabbed my hand and physically closed my fingers around my washcloth otherwise I would have dropped it.

I know there were 3 WISH people in the grand stand at the finish line and my wave didn't come above my waist. I was dead on my feet. I tried to smile and wave and there just wasn't anything left.

I went thru the finish, got the chip off, the blanket, medal, water and food and walked right by the photos. I couldn't be bothered with the photographers at that point and nothing mattered beyond collapsing. I thank God for the volunteers in the bag checks (and every where else along with everyone who was there to cheer and help). The guy in the bag check had to open my bag and put my water and food in it and then make room for Mickey. i couldn't even open my own bag. i sat at the finish area with the group and the only thing I could handle was opening my sprite. i wanted that banana but the idea of opening the bag was beyond me LOL

By the way i was the one crossing the finishline looking like she was whispering into a Pal Mickey's ears and clutching her washcloth like it was her safety blanket. my photos from AK thru finish are scary! I never got a photo afterwards with DH who made a special flight down just to support me on the course. He said he was to afraid to get that close to me :lmao:

Ali your being along the course, your cheers for everyone was felt and helped and mattered. I don't think there was anything against TNT and I have to say that I think they did an amazing job this year cheering for everyone. My DH was in 2 locations on the course and said all he saw from TNT was positiveness. I think the full people will all remember the man painted purple for a long long time. He was a cheering maniac .

I hope we see you again in the future races :) Thing to keep in mind AK to Hollywood Studios is known as the worst part of the race regardless of the temps.

:hug: WISH I would have spotted you Ali but then again with my scary smile/snarl you might be glad you didn't LMBO

One last thing... I read a saying on cafe press for a shirt....

The woman who starts the race is not the same woman who finishes the race.

Trust me that's true. I was much much much nicer at 4 am than I was at Noon :lmao:

Take care and happy training thoughts!!!!!

I too, will add my appologies. I was actually doing fairly well at AK, but DH was not. He severly cramped up as we were running by the entrance (where Kristi was) and that's all I was concerned with at that time. I did try to thank as many volunteers/scream teamers as I could--most with just a wave or nod. Thank you for getting out there and cheering; even though it wasn't acknowledged, it was worth it!

1. I did the half on Saturday.
2. I don't train.
3. I pay for it the next day.
4. I do hear when people call out my name.
5. I try to smile or wave, but most times I don't realize they are talking to me until I am past.
6. When there is general cheering, I assume it is for someone behind me.
7. I handed out Free Disney Water @ Red #2 on Sunday.
8. I went to AK afterwards to cheer for "my team".
9. Looking for "my team " really was hard work in the sea of people.
10. I also called out people whom "looked" like they could use some NEEDED pick-me-up, trying my hardest to read the names on the bib.
11. The later in the day it became, the more the people in the back "looked" like they needed a pick-me-up, so I was very busy later in the day.
12. Any and all cheering I did for the runners was just that.... FOR THE RUNNERS, NOT ME.
:cheer2:

Wow, so many things I want to respond to! Let me first say... I was MOST understanding of the lack of smiles in the AK. I was most taken aback by how seemiungly rude the WiSHers were WHILE I was running the half and before and after! At the start of the race I must have run by two dozen of you guys and you seriously looked at me like I was an alien trying to give you an anal probe or something! LMBO!

By the time I was at AK, I was very understanding of the lack of smiles, believe me! LMBO about the "bite me zone"! I'm going to save that one for later.... like when I run m first full later this year! :rotfl:

I guess I wasn't aware of the stigma attached to being a TNTer. We are told by our coaches to cheer for EVERYONE when we have the time, energy, and focus to do so. However, I can see how those of you who did NOT run with TNT might get the impression that we only cheer for our own because when you're a TNT cheerleader you rarely get a break from having one run by you and cheering can be hard work... and tough on the hands and voice!

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was looking for gratitude for cheering or anything! It really was MY pleasure... And believe me, I know that the distance does not come easy for most of us.... I guess more than anything I was bummed that I didn't encounter more of a sense of excitement before, during, and after the half. I certainly encountered plenty of DISboards people when they were NOT in the throes of exhaustion. I sort of felt like I was "In the know" when I saw the bright green shirts and knew where you guys congregated... But I was made to feel like an unwelcome outsider when I shouted my "props."

Anyhow, I thank you all for taking the time to make ammends for the attitudes of those people who might have just been in a "bad place" when I crossed their path that weekend. Congrats to all of you for your hard work and accomplishments. I hope to go back to Disney for Marathon Weekend again some time in the future... Maybe next time I will go decked out in WiSH Team regalia. :goodvibes

On a big race day like that you get both sides of the Wish spirit. The I am loving everything you are doing for me and the why am I looking at you not the Finish side. With races like this it is bound to happen and does. I had done the half on Saturday with no training and was very perky, even at the finish as my running buddy can tell you. On Sunday I screamed my way from mile 9 to 13 to 23-26.2. I received more than a few thank yous the day after, but you know what that is not why I screamed. I did it because I know every little bit of encouragement means the world to each and every runner Wish team or not. So the thanks were appreciated but not why I was there in the first place.
Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter