I Go to Disney Too Much - Vent

Well, while we're venting.... Ok, I'll try not to get too into depth into my life story.. I moved cross country (NY to AZ) about a year ago with my now-husband, to be closer to my parents, who have lived this far away for the last 8 years. Never got involved in my business (I was/am young), 24 now, figure the math? ... anyway.. my husband and I are saving money, still starting out, we were married 1 year ago this Saturday, didn't have a wedding, just went to the local courts with my parents in tow, and no honeymoon. I started cos school right away, a 1 year program. We commuted a ridiculous distance, hour and a half each way with no AC in the car, worked our butts off, and would love nothing more than a vacation. (we've never been on a vacation before with the exception of coming here from NY to visit my family on holidays) So, back in Feb. when our tax refund checks came in, we booked a AAA WDW vacation including all airfare, hotel, tix, and DDP. :cool1: and have been ridiculously excited since then. It's almost a motivation for us when life gets too frustrating. So... after an unnecessary amount of speculation from my parents as to why we'd go to WDW when we don't have kids, why we need a vacation at all, we're young, why don't we just go to DL for a weekend b/c it's closer? :sad2: I just shut them out. So we were having car problems big time, AC blew out just in time for the wonderful summer in this state (and of course we share a car, I sold mine when we moved out here) every time they had ammo, they'd shoot us down for being irresponsible, and car problems were perfect. So... what happened? The car broke down for good. A day after my husband got laid off. It cost $700 to get it moving just enough to get us home, but would cost a good amount more to fix it, so, I'm stressing, but thankful the vacation was paid for in advance b/c if not, we would not be able to go. And somehow I knew our problems would get worked out, we always figure out a way, and we'd still have our trip to look forward to. So, (I'm getting to my point, bet you thought I never would).. my dad called WDW. Not AAA, not a travel agency, but WDW. I think the dining res. # or something like that, don't know what went wrong in his brain at that moment, but I hear him in his room on the phone spelling my husbands last name (incorrectly, mind you) :sad2: and telling them we need to refund our trip. I suppose they replied they don't have our reservations, as we booked through AAA, but either way my fathers intelligent reply was "well they got one of those DVDs in the mail, about planning, so it you have to have the res) :confused: No idea. If somehow, anyway at all, he managed to go through with his rescue our money so we can fix that stupid car plan, and canceled our trip I think I would've had some form of heart failure. :eek: followed by :mad: and some:headache: so I had to sit him down and explain that even if our car blew up and we had to walk to work every day in this million degree heat I would STILL rather go on our vacation. Heck, it'll make me appreciate it and need it more. And.. he still doesn't get it. But, we're still going and that's all that matters. Oh, and we got a new car and my husband got a new and much better job, (that is totally ok with him taking off for our trip next month!!) and things worked out great (I told you they would):rotfl:

And.... we are going to ASSp Oct. 17-28 for our belated honeymoon/1 year anniversary/my graduation celebration and I couldn't be more excited!:yay:

Thanks all for listening to my venting session sorry if I bored anyone but wanted to share my story b/c I don't think anyone should feel guilty or be given a hard time about going on a trip for whatever reason b/c no one lives your life! No one goes through your hard times or has to make your decisions, so decide on what YOU want!!:flower3:

remfaerie...
Sorry to hear about your problems, but happy things are working out for you. Sometimes it is is hard for parents to realize when their parenting job is finished and their supporting role has begun. Sounds like your Dad is having a hard time with that.

I don't know if you had gone to your Dad for financial help, but I will tell you, when you ask for help financially you open the door for unwanted advice concerning your finances in general. Your Dad stepped way over the line by trying to cancel your trip on you.

Advice is what you pay for it, mine is free which means it is pretty well worthless. But I think if I were you I wouldn't borrow money from him. While you are young, you aren't that young. You are old enough to be married and are considered an adult in this world. Just tell your Dad you are an adult and will solve your own problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter