I freaked out a newbie today.

kadesha

DIS Veteran
You know that moment when someone tells you they are going to Disney for the first time and asks for advice? And then a million thoughts that go through your head that you want to tell them? Well they all came rolling out of my mouth today and I think I completely scared this person and overloaded them with information. :scared1: And now I'm sure she thinks I'm a total Disney weirdo. :headache: I know I can't be the only one who has ever done this. :confused3

I'm usually pretty good with helping people plan trips, but it's usually close friends and family that I see all the time and have plenty of time to explain things. The person today wasn't someone I talk to on a regular basis so I felt the need to blurt out every possible thing about planning a Disney trip that I could think of in that moment. :rolleyes: Fail.

So, in your opinion, what are the most important things to tell someone visiting Disney for the first time, without making them afraid of the next encounter that they may have with you? :lmao:

Everyone I work with knows I'm a Disney freak. Also, I am the one they come to and ask for resort recommendations, ride ideas, restaurants, etc. I love helping others plan their Disney trips.

You know that moment when someone tells you they are going to Disney for the first time and asks for advice? And then a million thoughts that go through your head that you want to tell them? Well they all came rolling out of my mouth today and I think I completely scared this person and overloaded them with information. :scared1: And now I'm sure she thinks I'm a total Disney weirdo. :headache: I know I can't be the only one who has ever done this. :confused3

I'm usually pretty good with helping people plan trips, but it's usually close friends and family that I see all the time and have plenty of time to explain things. The person today wasn't someone I talk to on a regular basis so I felt the need to blurt out every possible thing about planning a Disney trip that I could think of in that moment. :rolleyes: Fail.

So, in your opinion, what are the most important things to tell someone visiting Disney for the first time, without making them afraid of the next encounter that they may have with you? :lmao:
1. Have fun!

2. Don't freak when things go wrong.

3. Go with the flow!

4. Be nice to all Cast Members, no matter what!

Everyone I work with knows I'm a Disney freak. Also, I am the one they come to and ask for resort recommendations, ride ideas, restaurants, etc. I love helping others plan their Disney trips.

I'm the same way. I love helping plan trips. I just came on too strong to this poor girl today! lol! Usually the people that ask me for advice are people I know pretty well. I don't know this girl well and totally overloaded her with information!

I always say not to try and do too much. I get their email address so I can send a REALLY long email, spreadsheets, and projects. They can take it in at their leisure and ask follow-up questions.

I always say not to try and do too much. I get their email address so I can send a REALLY long email, spreadsheets, and projects. They can take it in at their leisure and ask follow-up questions.

This what I do. I provide websites, book recommendations, and my planning spreadsheets.

:lmao:

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: OMG, I laughed till I had tears in my eyes when I read your opening paragraph. Because that was me!! I've done exactly the same thing, except (fortunately) it was someone I knew quite well. So I was able to apologize for scaring them and we took it a little slower the next time.

And as for all the rest, the first thing I do is find out how much they really know about WDW and what a Disney vacation usually entails. Gives you a really good place to start from.

I'm not even allowed to share my plans/strategies/itineraries/spreadsheets with my own wife. She thinks I over-plan (guilty!). So I make all the plans, keep it in a secret place on my phone, then let her and the kids think it just all "magically" came together after we arrive. "Mmm. That restaurant looks like it could be good. How lucky--they just happen to have an opening for us!" Of course, we've not only had ADRs for 180+ days, but i know the menu by heart, the TripAdvisor rating, and can probably draw most of their popular dishes from memory. She's not stupid. I'm just not allowed to talk about it or march them all around everyday. I think she coined the phrase "Disney Death March" after our first visit.

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: OMG, I laughed till I had tears in my eyes when I read your opening paragraph. Because that was me!! I've done exactly the same thing, except (fortunately) it was someone I knew quite well. So I was able to apologize for scaring them and we took it a little slower the next time.

And as for all the rest, the first thing I do is find out how much they really know about WDW and what a Disney vacation usually entails. Gives you a really good place to start from.

Well in the conversation, I figured out that she thought Disney World was Magic Kingdom. That's it. She didn't even know there were resorts on Disney property that she could stay at. :scared1: I think that's what caused me to freak out on her. Obviously she needs a lot of information! (Just not delivered to her all at once, in about 5 minutes time!)

I hope I see her again so I can apologize and then ask for her email address. I think that's a better way of delivering as much information as I wanted to give her! lol!

I'm not even allowed to share my plans/strategies/itineraries/spreadsheets with my own wife. She thinks I over-plan (guilty!). So I make all the plans, keep it Ina secret place on my phone, then let her and the kids think it just all "magically" came together after we arrive. "mmm. That restaurant looks like it could be good. How lucky--they just happen to have an opening for us!" of course, she's not stupid. I'm just not allowed to talk about it or march them all around everyday. I think she coined the phrase "Disney Death March" after our first visit.

I know how that is too. My husband is the same way. He doesn't want to hear anything about it until we get there. :rolleyes:

Fine with me, I'd rather plan it all myself anyway! :yay:

I haven't been to Disney that often, but I am considered the expert in my circle. I know many people that "HATE" Disney, and it is because the crowds are too much to deal with. I have tried to help some people with planning and sometimes they act like I am crazy! I have two families I am close to going in March that have done nothing but secure their airline and hotel ressies, I fear that they will become some more of the haters. I hope they find the MAGIC like I did!!

Although I have been to Disney on 5 different trips with my family,
I haven't been the planner yet. Anyone want to send me an email
with all the awesome planning spreadsheets and info and such?

Well, duh...:scratchin: Head them toward the DIS, the most magical place on the internet! :pixiedust:

Before my first visit to WDW, I didn't get it. I couldn't understand all the hype over an amusement park. especially since I'm not a fan of amusement park rides. Disney was outside the scope of my imagination!

I'm not even allowed to share my plans/strategies/itineraries/spreadsheets with my own wife. She thinks I over-plan (guilty!). So I make all the plans, keep it in a secret place on my phone, then let her and the kids think it just all "magically" came together after we arrive. "Mmm. That restaurant looks like it could be good. How lucky--they just happen to have an opening for us!" Of course, we've not only had ADRs for 180+ days, but i know the menu by heart, the TripAdvisor rating, and can probably draw most of their popular dishes from memory. She's not stupid. I'm just not allowed to talk about it or march them all around everyday. I think she coined the phrase "Disney Death March" after our first visit.

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Try getting her drunk & she'll let down her guard & let you babble on about all the wonderful plans you've made so that she has a magical trip.

This is how I convense my DH to let me go on & on about all my plans....I coax him into opening a bottle of wine, get the gin rummy cards out and next thing you know, I'm talkin' Disney baby :dance3:

You know that moment when someone tells you they are going to Disney for the first time and asks for advice.......So, in your opinion, what are the most important things to tell someone visiting Disney for the first time, without making them afraid of the next encounter that they may have with you? :lmao:

I don't think there is any way for people like us :woohoo:

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Try getting her drunk & she'll let down her guard & let you babble on about all the wonderful plans you've made so that she has a magical trip.

This is how I convense my DH to let me go on & on about all my plans....I coax him into opening a bottle of wine, get the gin rummy cards out and next thing you know, I'm talkin' Disney baby :dance3:

My wife's first trip to WDW was as a kid, right after Epcot opened and I guess there was a lot of hype on TV. Her parents thought Epcot was WDW. So they drove 12 hrs to Florida and spent a day at Epcot. That was it. She was like, "isn't there a castle or something?" Of course, this was pre-Soarin, pre-Test Track, etc. So her basic reaction, as a kid, was Disney World kinda sucks! Hard to imagine a world pre-Internet. My parents-in-law definitely could've benefitted from the DIS. So she's not the Disney fan that me and the kids are, but you'd think she'd appreciate planning a little more!

Ohhh I have done this too. People have learned to not ask me about Disney unless they really want to know. Not exactly the same but, the other day I was interviewing a potential new employee when she complimented my Disney mug sitting on my desk and then proceeds to tell me she was in the college program at Disney. She might've freaked out a little when I got real excited and said "You're my hero! Tell me all about it!!!" as I clapped and jumped up and down. Yeah, maybe a little overboard but I just couldn't help it!! Someone who loves Disney as much as me!!!

Must not have scared her too bad......she accepted the position LOL

I have learned that most people know that I am a freak and it is good for them to come to me for advice. However, when someone new mentions it, I don't want to frighten them off, so I just tell them that planning can make a huge difference in their vacation experience and I would be happy to help.

Yes, I do know that this is easier said than done.:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

I have done this too!!

On facebook a bunch of my "friends" know to email me and ask me questions!! makes me feel special! :lovestruc or maybe I am just too obsessed!! :rotfl2:

I have learned though not to give out a ton of info to so many people, because they dont listen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter