I find forum posts of people complaining about working at disney waaay to ironic lol

:goodvibes

People like Collegejunkie make my blood boil. :thumbsup2

It makes me sad, though he/she could very well be very nice!!! I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'd rather keep people who are going to be demeaning like that away, because this is a positive board! Heck I we don't even get very many people complaining and saying the cp is a waste! Everyone is pretty positive about it :) the college board is my favorite! :goodvibes

It makes me sad, though he/she could very well be very nice!!! I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'd rather keep people who are going to be demeaning like that away, because this is a positive board! Heck I we don't even get very many people complaining and saying the cp is a waste! Everyone is pretty positive about it :) the college board is my favorite! :goodvibes

Yep. Yeah, I sure hope they are nicer when they're not talking about themselves/college. They just seem very stuck up to me and I'm glad this board is positive collegejunkie's posts just seemed very out of place...

I had a great time on the CP in 1999. Was it hard work? Yeah, sometimes. Did the pay suck? Yeah, pretty much.

But 99% of my having a good time was my attitude and the things I took away from it in terms of guest service which have helped me tremendously in my current job.

(Oh, and I really DID go to one of those schools no one's ever heard of. Had a good time there, too.)

Yep. Yeah, I sure hope they are nicer when they're not talking about themselves/college. They just seem very stuck up to me and I'm glad this board is positive collegejunkie's posts just seemed very out of place...

He's right though. If he is actually attending a top university then he and others like him are the people who end up running big corporations and this country unfortunately. 99% of those people have no idea what hard work is and they think they are oh so talented and they look down to everyone who isn't in their "elite" group of friends. I loved my college program and some of the people I met down there were some of the best people I've met in my entire life. I'm sorry but I don't think I could give collegejunkie the benefit of the doubt after an ignorant post like that.

rant over lol

But 99% of my having a good time was my attitude and the things I took away from it in terms of guest service which have helped me tremendously in my current job.

I also took that away from my cp, and my current employers know it. I'm not perfect in it, but I know I am better from it :)

first of all let me say I'm so excited I got accepted to disneyworld for spring 2012! <3

and with that said, the point of the forum post is I think its way to ironic when I look at posts on other forums of people advising against people going to work in teh CP program

they always fall under two categories.

1) people who complain about having to do real work when workign for disney. god forbid right! it just annoys me seeing posts of people complain that they had to work out in teh sun all day (which I'm pretty sure they must not know how to read since the cast discriptions usually say you must be willing to work outside in extreme conditions lol) or that they can't eat during their shifts out in front of the guests (lol I don't think subway would let you eat while you are making people's subs but i never see anyone complaining there) or that they had to work a bunch of hours.

reading those posts just makes me want to smack teh person and be like, welcome to reality! :D

or they fall into category number 2

complaining that disney doesn't pay enough

not only that it REALLY irks me when people say that disney doesn't pay you enough to live off of and that they charge rediculous amounts for rents. I find it ironic that most of the people who make these complaints are teh parents, soem going as far as to say they their son/daughter barely scraped by with enough to eat (one even said her daughter was malnurished living off cheerios as if lol) reading these types of complaints either gives me the sense that soemone doesn't know how to spend their money, or parents are so gullable to believe the kids aren't just spending their money on stuff they shouldn't be, and that disney is being a terrible employer for 'over working' their children and that their children couldn't possibly be the ones causing their own problems

This thread has gotten way off track, but I'll post my own CP experiences, since that was not exactly how my program went. I'm hesitant to recommend the CP to others, even though my experience was not the best. I think everyone should know all sides before they cart off to Florida. Ultimately doing the CP helped me get two PIs and I hope a future career with Disney, but it's not for everyone.

Firstly, I had no issues doing hard work. I worked at Sonic all through high school and then in child care with toddlers, so retail at Disney, when I was actually doing retail, was a breeze. I spent most of my time, unfortunately, in a midway game box with a microphone that rarely worked. So I was usually yelling at people. I gained some positives from it, like I don't mind a microphone now and I'm more outgoing from having to listen to my voice pumped through speakers saying really dumb spiels. But the rotation was so mismanaged, I would be out in the sweatboxes, pretty much, ALL day. Breaks were frequently 2 hours late because the rotation was off if one person called in, and someone always did. There was one game in particular where it was "Bad Show" to use a picker to pick up the balls the guests threw, so you had to crawl around on hands and knees over and over. I had bruises on my knees a lot, and if I wore shorts, there were little bugs in the carpet that would bite too.

Those days were definitely hard, and there were a few times I nearly quit. The first time was when I missed a training because I was stuck out on the games and despite telling them when they put me out there and repeatedly as it kept getting closer, my manager yelled at me for not letting anyone know I needed off. He had one of those, "It's everyone else's fault but mine" attitudes, and there were a couple of times, like when he parked a pargo and asked me to clean up all the dirty tissues and rags that had been left in it, rather than picking them up himself on his way in, that I just was like, really? You're a manager at Disney?

I don't mind hard work and I did my very best to give the best service and be as knowledgable and positive as I could, but sometimes I was downright disrespected as a CP, by the management and by the other cast members. It was a VASTLY different experience from my PI, where my managers encouraged me to network, vouched for me, would give me references, and really cared about my professional development. You get none of that as a CP, and people need to know that, because especially on these forums, people think that's going to happen, and it doesn't. I did have three managers I LOVED and that were fantastic, and my coordinators were fabulous people. Generally my experiences were very positive, but the negatives I did have weren't something to just brush off as "oh, welcome to the real world, sweetie."

Also, regarding money, I was poor poor poor my entire program, and not because I spent my money like crazy. I was scheduled around 32 hours a week, usually just 30. Five six-hour shifts a week. I rarely ever had more than 32, 36 was exciting. My shifts were always scheduled during the day, like 12-6, so it was hard to pick up any other shifts, if they were even available. At minimum wage, after rent and everything else, that left usually $50-70 a week to buy groceries, gas, pay for laundry, and anything else I needed. That's really not much, especially with a tank of gas being at least $40. I certainly wasn't malnourished, but I had very little money for anything else.

Some people have fabulous CPs, and some people don't. It all depends on your role, location, management. Just don't write off those who may have had legitimately difficult experiences as being lazy and irresponsible. Granted a lot of people do go down thinking it's going to be a paid vacation, and it isn't. But not everyone looks at the programs that way.

This thread has gotten way off track, but I'll post my own CP experiences, since that was not exactly how my program went. I'm hesitant to recommend the CP to others, even though my experience was not the best. I think everyone should know all sides before they cart off to Florida. Ultimately doing the CP helped me get two PIs and I hope a future career with Disney, but it's not for everyone.

Firstly, I had no issues doing hard work. I worked at Sonic all through high school and then in child care with toddlers, so retail at Disney, when I was actually doing retail, was a breeze. I spent most of my time, unfortunately, in a midway game box with a microphone that rarely worked. So I was usually yelling at people. I gained some positives from it, like I don't mind a microphone now and I'm more outgoing from having to listen to my voice pumped through speakers saying really dumb spiels. But the rotation was so mismanaged, I would be out in the sweatboxes, pretty much, ALL day. Breaks were frequently 2 hours late because the rotation was off if one person called in, and someone always did. There was one game in particular where it was "Bad Show" to use a picker to pick up the balls the guests threw, so you had to crawl around on hands and knees over and over. I had bruises on my knees a lot, and if I wore shorts, there were little bugs in the carpet that would bite too.

Those days were definitely hard, and there were a few times I nearly quit. The first time was when I missed a training because I was stuck out on the games and despite telling them when they put me out there and repeatedly as it kept getting closer, my manager yelled at me for not letting anyone know I needed off. He had one of those, "It's everyone else's fault but mine" attitudes, and there were a couple of times, like when he parked a pargo and asked me to clean up all the dirty tissues and rags that had been left in it, rather than picking them up himself on his way in, that I just was like, really? You're a manager at Disney?

I don't mind hard work and I did my very best to give the best service and be as knowledgable and positive as I could, but sometimes I was downright disrespected as a CP, by the management and by the other cast members. It was a VASTLY different experience from my PI, where my managers encouraged me to network, vouched for me, would give me references, and really cared about my professional development. You get none of that as a CP, and people need to know that, because especially on these forums, people think that's going to happen, and it doesn't. I did have three managers I LOVED and that were fantastic, and my coordinators were fabulous people. Generally my experiences were very positive, but the negatives I did have weren't something to just brush off as "oh, welcome to the real world, sweetie."

Also, regarding money, I was poor poor poor my entire program, and not because I spent my money like crazy. I was scheduled around 32 hours a week, usually just 30. Five six-hour shifts a week. I rarely ever had more than 32, 36 was exciting. My shifts were always scheduled during the day, like 12-6, so it was hard to pick up any other shifts, if they were even available. At minimum wage, after rent and everything else, that left usually $50-70 a week to buy groceries, gas, pay for laundry, and anything else I needed. That's really not much, especially with a tank of gas being at least $40. I certainly wasn't malnourished, but I had very little money for anything else.

Some people have fabulous CPs, and some people don't. It all depends on your role, location, management. Just don't write off those who may have had legitimately difficult experiences as being lazy and irresponsible. Granted a lot of people do go down thinking it's going to be a paid vacation, and it isn't. But not everyone looks at the programs that way.

Your experience is a legit hard one and I would have had a hard time if I was at your location as well, but you took what you could from it and was able to go back and do pis, which is awesome! :goodvibes

I think the op was talking about those who completely bash the cp because it didn't live up to their expectations.

I guess though I was lucky to have managers who really cared about us cps. When there was the big extension problem back in fall of 2009(when we went to check if we got extended, it said there was no record of us applying) all of our managers were supportive of figuring out what happened and even talked to whoever they out about getting it fixed. Of course every place is different, as I found with being deployed to tomorrowland merchandise, that every place, though the same role is run differently. Also it is important that people going down know cps really are the bottom of the barrel.

Your experience is a legit hard one and I would have had a hard time if I was at your location as well, but you took what you could from it and was able to go back and do pis, which is awesome! :goodvibes

I think the op was talking about those who completely bash the cp because it didn't live up to their expectations.

I guess though I was lucky to have managers who really cared about us cps. When there was the big extension problem back in fall of 2009(when we went to check if we got extended, it said there was no record of us applying) all of our managers were supportive of figuring out what happened and even talked to whoever they out about getting it fixed. Of course every place is different, as I found with being deployed to tomorrowland merchandise, that every place, though the same role is run differently. Also it is important that people going down know cps really are the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah, I had a terrible statused location, but thankfully I was deployed a lot to other locations and learned that the whole property wasn't like that and that managers were not supposed to be like that. It really is about attitude. Once I finally learned to just let everything roll off I had a much better program. I actually had a guest comment once that I was very chill and didn't get ruffled. And I just laughed and told him if you let yourself get ruffled the stress will kill you.

The smartest thing I did my whole program was to buy a new name tag that had my home town on it, rather than my college. The respect level went up dramatically when people thought I was a seasonal CM instead of a CP. Obviously you have to be a pretty competent cast member, if you're not good at your job no one is going to respect you, but I was actually treated like a human most of the time.

Case study: Robert Iger went to Ithaca College. Which is an excellent school, but it's not in the top 20....

Yeah, I had a terrible statused location, but thankfully I was deployed a lot to other locations and learned that the whole property wasn't like that and that managers were not supposed to be like that. It really is about attitude. Once I finally learned to just let everything roll off I had a much better program. I actually had a guest comment once that I was very chill and didn't get ruffled. And I just laughed and told him if you let yourself get ruffled the stress will kill you.

The smartest thing I did my whole program was to buy a new name tag that had my home town on it, rather than my college. The respect level went up dramatically when people thought I was a seasonal CM instead of a CP. Obviously you have to be a pretty competent cast member, if you're not good at your job no one is going to respect you, but I was actually treated like a human most of the time.

I wish I had done that, though I did like having my school on my name tag, as I love my school( it comes from my parents being huge fans of on of our rival schools, but my brothers and I have all gone to the same school and still are working on our parents loyalty ha ha)
I'd like to say I was pretty chill and and knew what I was doing as a cm, my managers knew I was the best at area stock in fantasyland, I just got everything done in a timely manner and efficiently. I didn't get a ton of gsf cards, but I wasn't looking to get recognized all the time, I just worked hard all the time and if I got recognized, then cool. Lol. I did get some and I am proud of the ones I did get. I only broke down(one wasn't really a break down) twice, and it was not in merch, but during PAC, the first time was when I had trouble with a brazillian guest who didn't want to listen to me(or any other cm) and he ended up saying something that sounded threatening in portuguese, and roughly poking my shoulder a couple times, but I was fine and even look at it as a funny time(and wish I knew what I he said!) I then broke down because of one of the pt/ft cms that was just made a trainer...basically I experienced reverse racism by her, which was something she actually did to most everyone we worked with. I had set up the ropes and stantions by Casey's before the 3 o'clock parade, and though she was positioned with me, she didn't help, then her and another cm( who I was normally on good terms with) decided to take it down and redo it even though I knew I had done it correctly(it's not hard to do when you've done it before AND there was a cheat sheet telling you where to put things) before they had changed what I did, they had talked together and looked right at me and I just couldn't take it, I found my friend who was stationed nearby and we found one of our coordinators and he could tell I was upset so we went backstage and I cried and told him what happened. It all just had been built up and just spilled over. Wasn't my most shining moment, but my coordinator knew she was a problem already, so he moved me and I was never put with her again(they did talk to her about it as well, and she did get better).

Anyways, sorry for that tangent, despite those hard times, I loved PAC, and was so grateful that my managers and coordinators knew my capabilities and understood that when there were problems, it wasn't my fault. That was the one thing that my area was good at, that though they would hear the guests stories first and listen to what they had to say, they gave us the benefit of the doubt and knew how we were normally so they could rule out what really happened.

lol someone seems to have a problem with my honest posts. well, if you feel like discussing anything with me, feel free to PM me and i'll happily speak with you.

This is cute.lol

Is this your first program? Because before I started, I didn't know why people bashed the program either...THEN I LEARNED lol.

Yes, hard work, whiny kids, hot as HELL in Florida, whiny adults, but I LOVED every second...well...not really, but close enough :)

But I don't know who told you rent was only $70. Maybe in Vista, I stayed in a 1Bed in Chatham and paid 85 and a 2 Bed in Patterson which was 89-90-95 (Can't remember, not like I saw the money anyway)
and yes! It's very easy to become broke. Plenty of times I had to call my mom for money so I could eat for the week. I wasn't one of them, but I know people who did pay cell phone/Car insurance on a DCP paycheck (Don't know how they did it) So yes, there were times were all I could afford was Hamburger Helper and wished on some Pixie Dust that I or one of my roommates won Grocery Bingo lol.

All in all, it's what you make of it. It can suck. It did suck. Will I go back? Without a shadow of a doubt.

Disney isn't just some random minimum wage job, I didn't think so anyway. You have to make the best of your program. I know my roommate (spring 2010) hated working at Wide World, but she made it through and she ended up loving it at the end.

Disney is an opportunity not everyone gets. Just because it only pays 7.25 doesn't demean the program or the job.

People who complain about working long days aren't really in for the whole experience, in my opinion. They're just about going to the parks for free, and enjoying the discounts. You're there to WORK first. You know?

Disney is REALLY strict about attendance issues, and will term someone for not showing up. I had a very close friend be sent home for that EXACT reason.

You guys are going to have a good time :)

thanks for the responses guys, it's interesting to read what you all said xD

and I'm sorry to that one person that somehow couldn't figure out, with their apparent college smarts, that I was writing about other people complaining that they had to do real work. I'm certainly not one to think I deserve a ton of respect working custodial there at disney, lol I did custodial work at my local highschool, which I was still in highschool elsewhere, for spending money, so I don't expect them to role out a red carpet at my feet for it :P

but yeah it'll be my first time. and I know very well I don't know what to expect but I think it was that time of the month when I first posted this, and I was looking up something abou the program and came across some 'news article' demeaning the program saying it was abusing cheap college labor and all teh people jumping on the bandwagon in the comments there, most of totally sounded like the kids never worked a real job yet in their lives and thought that working at disney was going to be a vacation party, not actual work and it bothered me xD

also it was one of my friend's who told me the rent was $80 (I know I wrote $70 but I asked her just now and she said she paid $80 for the rooms with the largest amount of roomies, I must have misheard her before, and lots of roomies doesn't bother me at all, sharing an apartment with 2 people I don't know is no different then sharing it with 6 people I don't know, since either way you can wind up stuck with people you like or people you hate eitherway) though I guess she could be remembering wrong too, but either way I think it's plenty reasonable lol

and also for teh hours, I guess I took for granted that most people in my role I've read (custodial) said they usually worked closer to 40 hours a week or more if they worked magic hours. again if I wind up being wrong, I wouldn't be totally surprised but I can deal, most of the time I only use my money for food and gas so if I end up with mostly enough enough for rent food and gas, I can deal with that for 5 months :) I'd like to think I'm fairly adjustable to situations like that xD

okay so, with that out of the way
and seeing the one person who posted about their CP

I'm curious what all you guy's first cp programs were like :)

sharing an apartment with 2 people I don't know is no different then sharing it with 6 people I don't know, since either way you can wind up stuck with people you like or people you hate eitherway) /QUOTE]

In my opinion, living with 5 people you don't like is way worse than living with 2 people you don't like. I mostly just had to go in my room and shut the door as much as I could to avoid all the drama and drunk people. And when the girl who actually shared a room with me was there I simply had to leave and go somewhere else completely -- she was extremely loud and irritating. And I also remember that instead of the 6 people that were supposed to be living in the apartment we had more like 9 to 10 -- one girl's boyfriend, another random guy who didn't like his roommates, and two other friends of one of my roommates. There was barely room to move with them and all their junk in there!

Work I loved. My coworkers were almost all great and I thought my job was really fun. But I have had a job since I was quite young, working summers and other school breaks, and I don't think a lot of people that I met on the college program were used to hard work, or even any work. They seemed very wealthy and spoiled to me.

Everything about living at Vista Way sucked, in my opinion. I spent as little time there as possible. I spent all my days off work at the parks and quite a bit of time after work on the days I did work too. But maybe you will love the apartment situation -- everyone is different. Most of my roommates hated work and skipped the maximum they could without actually getting fired. One girl did get fired for missing too much work and several of them were very close by the end of the semester.

sharing an apartment with 2 people I don't know is no different then sharing it with 6 people I don't know, since either way you can wind up stuck with people you like or people you hate eitherway) /QUOTE]

In my opinion, living with 5 people you don't like is way worse than living with 2 people you don't like. I mostly just had to go in my room and shut the door as much as I could to avoid all the drama and drunk people. And when the girl who actually shared a room with me was there I simply had to leave and go somewhere else completely -- she was extremely loud and irritating. And I also remember that instead of the 6 people that were supposed to be living in the apartment we had more like 9 to 10 -- one girl's boyfriend, another random guy who didn't like his roommates, and two other friends of one of my roommates. There was barely room to move with them and all their junk in there!

Work I loved. My coworkers were almost all great and I thought my job was really fun. But I have had a job since I was quite young, working summers and other school breaks, and I don't think a lot of people that I met on the college program were used to hard work, or even any work. They seemed very wealthy and spoiled to me.

Everything about living at Vista Way sucked, in my opinion. I spent as little time there as possible. I spent all my days off work at the parks and quite a bit of time after work on the days I did work too. But maybe you will love the apartment situation -- everyone is different. Most of my roommates hated work and skipped the maximum they could without actually getting fired. One girl did get fired for missing too much work and several of them were very close by the end of the semester.

I have to stick my two cents in here to say that you are absolutely correct about the work part. It has been said...time and time again on this board that you are here primarily to WORK. Yes, you may partake of the educational opportunities that Disney offers, but you are still expected to perform your job to Disneys expectations. What part of work that people cannot understand...well, I just do not know. It is not uncommon to work anywhere between 6 and 12 hour shifts. It is not uncommon to find yourself working several days in a row without a day off (and I mean more than 7 or 8, haha). Plan on working the later shifts, because the regular cast members tend to work the earlier ones. If you work in the Magic Kingdom, please know that you are up for some very late nights, especially in the spring. I had a friend that worked as a maid in the Haunted Mansion, and after Extra Magic hours and the bus got through with her, she did get home at 3a.m., or later sometimes. If you can bring a car, by all means, do! A long night can be exascerbated by a long wait because the first bus is full! You do not get to choose where you work. You may be outside, cold or hot...or inside looking at the same scenery all day. I think if people come on board with these expectations, they will have the whole experience in better perspective. I think most get a severely rude awakening, especially if they have a limited or absent work history. I saw some term themselves 6 weeks later, and some were termed, and many were on guard about their attendance status close to the end! But...to each his own...I guess. I just think that people need to give the WORK part equal consideration before they pack their bags and disrupt their education...only to quit early!

I can't speak to the CP directly, as I haven't participated in one. But a person's experience doing anything comes down to temperament and interest. Some people are more optimistic than others, and optimistic people handle stressful situations better. Even pessimistic people, if they love what they are doing, can enjoy their experience.

But if you have a pessimistic personality, in a high stress situation, doing something they aren't 100% committed to... well of course they aren't going to have a good time.

And there is no shame in either. Your temperament isn't something you can change overnight. (Some believe you can never change it!) I just think before anyone signs up for something, they should evaluate themselves and their interests honestly. Because if you aren't honest with yourself, it's only going to be miserable for you and everyone around you.

I have to stick my two cents in here to say that you are absolutely correct about the work part. It has been said...time and time again on this board that you are here primarily to WORK. Yes, you may partake of the educational opportunities that Disney offers, but you are still expected to perform your job to Disneys expectations. What part of work that people cannot understand...well, I just do not know. It is not uncommon to work anywhere between 6 and 12 hour shifts. It is not uncommon to find yourself working several days in a row without a day off (and I mean more than 7 or 8, haha). Plan on working the later shifts, because the regular cast members tend to work the earlier ones. If you work in the Magic Kingdom, please know that you are up for some very late nights, especially in the spring. I had a friend that worked as a maid in the Haunted Mansion, and after Extra Magic hours and the bus got through with her, she did get home at 3a.m., or later sometimes. If you can bring a car, by all means, do! A long night can be exascerbated by a long wait because the first bus is full! You do not get to choose where you work. You may be outside, cold or hot...or inside looking at the same scenery all day. I think if people come on board with these expectations, they will have the whole experience in better perspective. I think most get a severely rude awakening, especially if they have a limited or absent work history. I saw some term themselves 6 weeks later, and some were termed, and many were on guard about their attendance status close to the end! But...to each his own...I guess. I just think that people need to give the WORK part equal consideration before they pack their bags and disrupt their education...only to quit early!

thanks for the response, i totally agree with you, work is work, and play is play, few are lucky to have play and work as one, but I know I'll be working so other's can have the play they work hard for, or for others to have. My former boss can attest to my work ethic thankfully, and the only reason i don't work for him anymore is because the unions keep him from using the part timers during the summer xD *shakes fist* darn you unions~

but I'm just one of those people I guess, I actually feel very awkward if I'm at work, getting paid, but I've run out of things to do or, in some cases have had to wait until my supervisor has shown up before I could move onto the next task. I'd much rather be working hard, than hardly working for 9 hours xD

and I'm actually happy to know that I'm most likely to work the later shifts
I was actually worried more about having to work mornign shifts cause I don't have an easy time getting up early, even if I got plenty of sleep, so here's hoping you're right and, if I do wind up working the morning, here to retraining myself with the alarm clock xD

and as for where I'll be working, I'm lookign forward just to finding out, I don't think i have that much preference of one park over the other, perhaps the animal kigdom just cause I love animals, but I'm happy with anything xD

and I'm also glad I'm well adjusted to tempurature xD

I don't think it's cold till it hits like 50 degrees, and I actually enjoy when in the summer you step out from someone's ice cold house into 85 degree weather xD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter