• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I-fer? What in the World is an I-fer? Universal/Legoland/Sea World Feb 2015 Updated 5/26x3! The End!

looks likes a fun day at IOA many say that spiderman is the best ride in Orlando. I'm not a big spiderman fan but that does intrigue me to try it out.

YES! I love the pictures of all the cartoons!!! GAH! i remember reading Kathy ALL. THE. TIME!
So the minions are like the frozen craze?? minions are really cool..

You have not had one character meet YET!!! PLEASE tell me you did the transformers ride... i just want to meet them at the end..

I think you would have a blast in the cartoon area. I only photographed a fraction of what is there! The Minions sure where everywhere in the parks kind of like Frozen is right now at Disney. Universal definitely does not have the large amounts of meet and greets like Disney but we did do some and they are coming up next. When we were walking through IOA, the only character we saw was Spiderman and his line was huge. And yes, we did ride the Transformers ride but that is still a few updates away because it was towards the end of the day.

I love the Toon Lagoon section of IoA!

I don't blame Jim for skipping Hulk, you'll never catch me on it! :rotfl:

It is a very well done area! I love the Suess area too but we didn't spend any time there. You know, everyone talks about how scary the Hulk coaster is but I've definitely been on ones that are a lot worse than it is.

looks likes a fun day at IOA many say that spiderman is the best ride in Orlando. I'm not a big spiderman fan but that does intrigue me to try it out.

Spiderman is a very cool ride but if I had to pick the "best" one at Universal it would have to be the Harry Potter one, The Forbidden Journey. That one is just so unique to any ride I've ever been on that it's almost impossible to beat.

Those minions sure are a hot commodity. I wouldn't be doing Spiderman or Hulk. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

They definitely were when we were there, probably due to the new movie coming out soon. I think you would be fine on Spiderman, it's no worse than Dinosaur in AK and I know you ride that one.

Meg is on a mission to grow....

Tell her to eat her vegetables! ::yes:: :rotfl2:

Welcome to Springfield Part 1

IOA and US are side by side so it only took us five minutes to walk from one to the other. When we entered US, we turned right and headed towards our lunch destination. Leave it to Jim though to immediately spot some characters that he wanted to meet. While we waited I took a few pictures. You can probably figure out the characters we were meeting by the second picture.

Yep, it was Shaggy and Scooby Do. Shaggy talked to Jim about Atlanta since he had on a Braves sweatshirt.

We moved on and got sidetracked by yet another character.

We passed Mel’s Drive In. I would love to eat here sometime but that wasn’t our destination on this day.

Then we ran into the Hop float out and about. They bring the parade floats out at different times and have little dance parties in the street.

These pogo stick guys were seriously going about 5 feet in the air. I was a little scared for them.

We also passed the train and car from Back to the Future. Last time we were at Universal, we met Doc from the movie. He wasn’t out this time around.

We finally reached our destination, Springfield. Jim wanted to go to Krusty Burger for lunch since he’s a huge Simpson’s fan.

Krusty Burger is actually in a food court along with several other Simpson related fast food joints.

Jim headed straight to Krusty Burger while I opted to visit Cletus’ Chicken Shack. There was also The Frying Dutchman (seafood), Luigi’s Pizza and Lisa’s Teahouse of Terror. I checked out the Lard Lad Donuts. These things were seriously the size of a small cake.

I took a picture of the food sign so I would remember that I got the Double Batter Chicken Platter.

First though, here’s Jim’s Krusty burger and fries.

And my chicken plate.

Jim loved his burger but I was a little disappointed with the chicken. It was pretty small and a little dry.

After we finished eating, we took some more time to explore the rest of Springfield. We stopped in and visited Moe’s Tavern.

Said hi to Chief Wiggum.

Visited Duff Gardens. Neither one of us like beer so we didn’t try a Duffs.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Welcome to Springfield Part 2

Continued From Previous Post

Jim wanted to check out the merchandise so we headed into the Kwik-E-Mart next.

He considered this t-shirt first.

But in the end, he bought this one.

I walked around while he shopped and I thought these Homer Mr. Potato Heads were hilarious.

Milhouse was hanging outside the Kwik-E-Mart.

We spotted another set of characters to meet and got in line. Jim got in a little trouble with Chief Wiggum.

I took a crappy picture of the new Simpson’s ride, Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl. It’s basically another version of Dumbo.

Then it was time to meet the rest of the Simpson family.

Then we headed into the Express Pass line for the Simpson’s Ride.

The ride is very similar to Soarin’ in Epcot but much, much rougher. It’s basically a ride through Krustyland where most of the rides are broken and dangerous. I came off feeling a tiny bit queasy.

Krusty and Side-Show Bob were out meeting when we exited the ride but their line was already closed so we moved on to the next area of the park which is Men in Black.

This ride is similar to Buzz Lightyear in Magic Kingdom. You are training to be recruits for MIB so you ride through shooting aliens as you go. We had to get a locker again for our bags but I kept my camera with me to take line pictures.

Here’s a blurry photo of what the ride vehicles look like.

Jim whooped my butt of course. There is a bit of spinning during the ride but it wasn’t anything that bothered either of us.

After Men in Black, we finally made it back around to the Harry Potter section so it was time to do some more exploring in Diagon Alley.

Up Next: Round 2 in Diagon Alley

Last edited:

So many great character pics!

The Simpsons area is SO well themed! And if you are a fan, you can't leave without having a Krusty Burger! I'm sorry your meal wasn't as enjoyable though. Those donuts are CRAZY, I can't imagine the amount of sugar in them :rotfl:

You and Jim look like you are having a great time. Springfield looks like something I would enjoy. I'm not a huge Simpsons fan but I like it. I think those potato heads are pretty funny as well. I have heard that food is one thing that is lacking at universal compared to disney. Can't wait to hear more.

I'm glad you named the Simpons characters because beside the kid and father, I couldn't tell you their names (I immensely dislike the show). I've read good things about the burgers there. They had just opened that ride one of our last two visits to Univeral with the kids and we never got on it because the line was always 90 minutes long. I do remember doing Men in Black and really liked that ride a lot.

Oh does this look like SO MUCH FUN!!! the characters look like they are crazy fun! Mm Krusty burger.... and that donut is ridiculously HUGE!

I'm really looking forward to both Spiderman and the Simpsons-themed food court - Spiderman wasn't open during my visit in 2012, and the food court looks fun. I'm glad Jim liked his burger as that's what I want to try!

Catching up from page 1...

LOL that Remy has the neighbor pit bull scared of him... That's too cute!

Also loved the photobomb of the devils ears.

Hahaha at the Yaris... I can see lots of fun/jokes coming from this.

Despite the blurry pictures - your room looks awesome!

And I agree - the hotel does look a little like ToT... I love it.

I am very interested in hearing about these hotel perks - one day I know the girls are hoping to do US - and I just have no idea how to do it... But I know to make it worth our while - we'd have to stay in one of their resorts. You can bet, if we ever plan to go - you will be the first person we bombard with questions. ::yes::

Love your HP shirt - that is really cool!

Chewy icecream??? Eeew... I just cannot even imagine...

I loved the mirror in your room too - that's really cool.

OK - on to page 2... :)

D~

From page 2...

I know it's mostly pictures - but they are so fascinating to me... Since we always do Disney and never US - it's just cool to see how awesome the theming is here.

I am a wuss when it comes to rides - so I am not sure I could do the Gingotts ride? But I would love to take the chicken exit and experience this que.

D~

From page 3...

Awesome!!! That train ride looks so cool! I also loved the books - but I only read them once, so I am far from an expert. We love the movies though and have HP marathons frequently. I know the girls would go crazy over that area and I'd never get them out. LOL

None of the other areas really appeal to me though- and that's why I pause with doing a US trip...

D~

From page 4...

OK the girls would totally flip out at meeting Scooby and Shaggy! They are the biggest Scooby Doo fans ever!!!!!

I also think they would enjoy the simpsons area - although they dont watch much Simpsons - they have watched it enough to know.

But they would love the MiB area... Allison used to watch MiB all the time - she loved that movie...

Hmmm... We might have to seriously consider a US trip some day?

OK - I think I am all caught up here! I have no idea when I will get to your other TRs? I am trying to systematically catch up with everyone...

D~

So many great character pics!

The Simpsons area is SO well themed! And if you are a fan, you can't leave without having a Krusty Burger! I'm sorry your meal wasn't as enjoyable though. Those donuts are CRAZY, I can't imagine the amount of sugar in them :rotfl:

Thanks! Universal definitely doesn't have the large amount of characters that Disney does but we still found a few. Jim was not leaving Springfield without trying a Krusty Burger! The donuts were seriously huge!

You and Jim look like you are having a great time. Springfield looks like something I would enjoy. I'm not a huge Simpsons fan but I like it. I think those potato heads are pretty funny as well. I have heard that food is one thing that is lacking at universal compared to disney. Can't wait to hear more.

I'm not a huge Simpsons fan myself but I still enjoyed the area. I love both of the sit down restaurants in US but counter service wasn't the best this time.

I'm glad you named the Simpons characters because beside the kid and father, I couldn't tell you their names (I immensely dislike the show). I've read good things about the burgers there. They had just opened that ride one of our last two visits to Univeral with the kids and we never got on it because the line was always 90 minutes long. I do remember doing Men in Black and really liked that ride a lot.

Honestly Kathy, I had to look most of the characters up because I really didn't know them. While I don't hate the show, I only watch when Jim has it on TV. The ride is a slow loader like Soarin' so even in the Express Pass line, we still waited about 15 minutes.

Oh does this look like SO MUCH FUN!!! the characters look like they are crazy fun! Mm Krusty burger.... and that donut is ridiculously HUGE!

The area is very fun and well themed. The donut was just insane! I think it could have fed a family of four easily.

I'm really looking forward to both Spiderman and the Simpsons-themed food court - Spiderman wasn't open during my visit in 2012, and the food court looks fun. I'm glad Jim liked his burger as that's what I want to try!

Spiderman really is a great ride, you will love it! Jim's burger did look good, I should have gotten that instead of the chicken.

Catching up from page 1...

Thanks for stopping by and catching up! I know how busy you are.

LOL that Remy has the neighbor pit bull scared of him... That's too cute!

Well Betsy is a bit of a wimpy dog but it's still really funny watching her run away from the fence when he gets near.

Also loved the photobomb of the devils ears.

Alex is a nut! He loves standing with his back paws on the back seat and his front paws between the front seat. Guess he can see better that way!

Hahaha at the Yaris... I can see lots of fun/jokes coming from this.

Every time we went to get in the car, Jim would start singing some kind of circus song! Yep, we got some good laughs out of that one.

Despite the blurry pictures - your room looks awesome!

It was awesome but it should have been for the price we paid!

And I agree - the hotel does look a little like ToT... I love it.

It does have a little of that spooky look!

I am very interested in hearing about these hotel perks - one day I know the girls are hoping to do US - and I just have no idea how to do it... But I know to make it worth our while - we'd have to stay in one of their resorts. You can bet, if we ever plan to go - you will be the first person we bombard with questions. ::yes::

I think I addressed most of the hotel perks but if you have any questions, ask away, I'm very happy to help!

Love your HP shirt - that is really cool!

Thanks! I thought that one was neat with all four houses on it.

Chewy icecream??? Eeew... I just cannot even imagine...

Yeah, it was kind of gross, just not the correct texture for ice cream at all.

I loved the mirror in your room too - that's really cool.

That was a pretty cool mirror. I know we compared ourselves but I don't remember who I was the same height as.

OK - on to page 2... :)

D~

From page 2...

I know it's mostly pictures - but they are so fascinating to me... Since we always do Disney and never US - it's just cool to see how awesome the theming is here.

For the most part, Universal did do a great job of theming. I will say that Disney does a better job though of separating out the different sections. At US there is a lot of times when you can really see other areas of the park. If you look at my Simpsons photos, you can see the London Facade for the Harry Potter section in a lot of the pictures.

I am a wuss when it comes to rides - so I am not sure I could do the Gingotts ride? But I would love to take the chicken exit and experience this que.

D~

The ride really was not bad at all, I think you would be fine. It's way milder than any of the coasters at Disney.

From page 3...

Awesome!!! That train ride looks so cool! I also loved the books - but I only read them once, so I am far from an expert. We love the movies though and have HP marathons frequently. I know the girls would go crazy over that area and I'd never get them out. LOL

I'm a bit addicted to the books. I have them all on audio and listen at least every other year when I'm driving back and forth to work. Wait till you see my next update with even more pictures from Diagon Alley!

None of the other areas really appeal to me though- and that's why I pause with doing a US trip...

D~

There's more coming up, maybe something else will grab you!

From page 4...

OK the girls would totally flip out at meeting Scooby and Shaggy! They are the biggest Scooby Doo fans ever!!!!!

They were very fun to meet! We met just Scooby in 2012 so it was fun to get Shaggy this time.

I also think they would enjoy the simpsons area - although they dont watch much Simpsons - they have watched it enough to know.

Jim was in heaven here and he is only a casual watcher of the show. I thought it was well done despite not watching it much.

But they would love the MiB area... Allison used to watch MiB all the time - she loved that movie...

We've seen the movies and we both loved the ride. Of course you know I love any ride that is competitive like that. There was also a store with lots of merchandise from the movies.

Hmmm... We might have to seriously consider a US trip some day?

It was fun, I would recommend seeing it at least once especially if you guys are HP fans.

OK - I think I am all caught up here! I have no idea when I will get to your other TRs? I am trying to systematically catch up with everyone...

D~

No worries, I know how busy you have been! Thanks for stopping in and getting caught up on this one.

Round 2 in Diagon Alley Part 1

It was time to slow down and really explore Diagon Alley. I wanted to photograph every inch but unfortunately it was pretty crowded and there is a lot of stuff. It would have had to take thousands of pictures to capture everything. I didn’t do any videos this time either because the little Flip camera I used last time broke and I could not figure out how to video with my camera. I really need to figure that out!

First up are some pictures of the London façade that hides Diagon Alley from the Muggle (non-magic person) world. Do you see the first row of houses in this picture? See how the third one is a bit dingy and dirty compared to the others? That is #12 Grimmauld Place from the last few books.

If you wait patiently outside that house, you might catch the House Elf Kreacher peeking out the window.

Across from the entrance to Diagon Alley, you can see the Knight Bus and get a chance to talk with the conductor.

The shrunken head above my head in the picture also talks to you.

Then it was time to enter Diagon Alley again. I took a picture coming in the entrance through the brick wall.

Do you see the train tracks above the street in the next picture? You could hear the train “go by” every once in a while.

The first place we stopped in was Quality Quidditch Supplies.

Next door to that store is Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes.

The stores were pretty small and jam packed as you can see by this photo.

They had some awesome merchandise in the joke shop but we didn’t buy anything.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Round 2 in Diagon Alley Part 2

The outside of the store was very cool.

We didn’t stop in either wand shop because we bought wands on the previous trip.

I hadn’t gotten anything sweet at lunch because I was holding out for something here in Diagon Alley.

Yum! Frozen Butterbeer! This stuff is delicious. I can’t really describe the taste too well because it’s pretty unique. But it’s somewhat like butter scotch mixed with cream soda.

It was about this point that I realized that I would never be able to photograph everything in this area. I was much bigger than I expected! And of course there were people everywhere.

Jim didn’t want a Butterbeer but instead got a Gilly Water (basically just plain bottled water) and a Draught of Peace (blueberry flavoring) to put in it. They had quite a few different flavors.

I wanted to go into Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment and Scibbulus which were right next to the Gilly Water stand. So we stood there for a minute to finish our drinks before going in. More dragon pictures ensued.

He roars and breaths fire every so often and I really wanted to capture that on film. Unfortunately I was zoomed in a bit too much on this next photo, plus the sun was bright at this angle. You can sort of see the fire but not really.

The next place we headed was the Magical Menagerie.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Round 2 in Diagon Alley Part 3

Since I’m still 5 years old inside, I decided that my souvenir from each park was going to be a stuffed animal. I really wanted an owl from the Harry Potter section so I spent some time in the Menagerie picking one out. I ended up with this guy who turned out to be Ron’s owl, Pigwidgeon.

We glanced in at Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour but the line was out the door so we didn’t go in.

Next we headed to the darker side of Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley.

Jim immediately spotted the dark arts store, Borgin and Burkes so we headed in.

Jim ended up buying a couple of skulls:

And an hour glass with even more skulls.

We had the stuff sent to the front of the park for pickup since it was pretty heavy and breakable then headed out to finish exploring Knockturn Alley.

This window had spiders crawling on the other side. When I approached to take a picture, a puff of air blew out at me and scared me half to death. I am not a fan of spiders!

The last store that we explored was Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions. Jim modeled one of the hats for me.

At that point we had pretty much seen everything but I wanted to try one more time to get a good picture of the dragon breathing fire. I asked Jim if he minded if we stood there for a few minutes and he was fine with that. He immediately whipped out his phone to check his work e-mail. So I think I finally got the shot I was trying for, what do you think?

We headed back out of the wizarding world after that. The only thing we overlooked somehow was the Leaky Cauldron. We saw it but for some reason didn’t go inside to explore.

Up Next: Jim is an Evil Scientist and Gets Killed by Rocks

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter