I feel like I'm betraying Mickey

tink2007

DIS Veteran
My family (myself, husband, and 2 teenagers) is in the process of planning yet another Disney vacation the end of next May. I love this process. I am an obsessive planner. I drive my family crazy. I guess this is why I am having trouble with the following.....
We have always stayed on Disney property. Most trips we have been fortunate enough to stay 9 or 10 days. We only go every other year because it takes us that long to save up. Anyway, my parents recently purchased a condo in Orlando, not far from Disney. I have run the numbers and have concluded that my family would save almost $2500 by staying in their condo instead on Disney property. As a family, we have discussed the good and the bad.

Bad #1 No Dining plan #2 No free transportation #3 No Magic atmosphere
#4 No Mickey Soaps in the bathroom

Good #1 Saves BIG money #2 Much bigger room #3 Saves BIG Money
#4 washer and dryer in condo #5 Saves BIG money #6 Kitchen in condo
#7 Saves BIG money

My parents will be coming with us. They enjoy the parks but they enjoy taking care of us even more. My mom loves to cook for us so I know we would have wonderful meals and propably eat much better than we would on the Dining Plan. My dad says he will transport us where ever we want to go.
I know we will have a great time no matter where we stay. I just feel like I wont get the full Disney effect staying off property. I dont want to betray Mickey!

In your shoes, I would stay with my parents! Your mom loves to cook for you, so you wouldn't have to cook on vacation. You could still try and budget for one or 2 meals at the parks maybe so that you can still enjoy some of the Disney meals without having to pay all that money.

If it saved us $2500, we would take that money and do a different vacation for that amount! I think you will still very much feel the DIsney magic. And I don't recall anyone checking anybody's resort IDs when on buses or the monorail, so if you wanted to park-hop that shouldn't be a problem using Disney transportation in between!

Another option would be maybe to do a split stay, a few days with your parents, a few days on property, and save half the amount you came up with in your figures.

Your parents are being more than gracious with what they've offered. I would definitely stay with them. I don't have any grandparents still alive, so I value tremendously the time that my girls get to spend with both sets of their grandparents. Money aside, I would do it for the kids and your parents.

I would definately stay with your parents. At the end of the long night, you will be glad to have someone cook for you and just relax....you'll forget the soaps. I am sure you will have a wonderful time! Enjoy your vacation.
It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!
Dance and enjoy your money saved while still visiting Mickey!:banana: :banana:

We would definitely stay with my parents (or ILs)!!!!! Actually, I think they would be hurt if we didn't! And keep the money you save from this trip for something else or maybe even your next Disney trip!!

Have fun!!!!!

I don't know how many days you are going for, but why don't you stay at Disney for something like 2 nights in the middle of your stay. This way you "get your fix" and you save a butt load of $$$!! Sounds good to me!
Also, this way you can steel all the soap you want and put it in your parents house! LOL

I would stay at the condo and then really splurge on a couple of Disney things -- tea at the GF or Illuminations cruise or some other Disney experience that I wouldn't normally do.

We stayed offsite in Oct 2007. I thought I would miss the "magic" but, honestly, I felt much better having a huge house and my own pool. It's a tradeoff, but you can make it work.

Oh, and on the transportation end, having your own car is soooooo much better than taking the Disney bus!!!

Cheating on Mickey? :rotfl2: I would stay in the condo. $2,500 is a lot of money and really, how loyal has been Mickey been? ;) He's not making things any cheaper.

My family (myself, husband, and 2 teenagers) is in the process of planning yet another Disney vacation the end of next May. I love this process. I am an obsessive planner. I drive my family crazy. I guess this is why I am having trouble with the following.....
We have always stayed on Disney property. Most trips we have been fortunate enough to stay 9 or 10 days. We only go every other year because it takes us that long to save up. Anyway, my parents recently purchased a condo in Orlando, not far from Disney. I have run the numbers and have concluded that my family would save almost $2500 by staying in their condo instead on Disney property. As a family, we have discussed the good and the bad.

#7 Saves BIG money

My parents will be coming with us. They enjoy the parks but they enjoy taking care of us even more. My mom loves to cook for us so I know we would have wonderful meals and propably eat much better than we would on the Dining Plan. My dad says he will transport us where ever we want to go.
I know we will have a great time no matter where we stay. I just feel like I wont get the full Disney effect staying off property. I dont want to betray Mickey!

I regret to inform you that you have been reported to the proper Disney authorities and you will be picked up for reconditioning. :scared1:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think it would be nice for you...the kids and grandma and grandma to have the opportunity to spend time together. :dance3:
By saving that money there are other things that you can experience that you otherwise may not have afforded.....ummmmm like another trip to DISNEY! :cheer2:

Just think of the 2500.00 as a week long beach vacation somewhere.:thumbsup2

That is A LOT of money! I would definitely stay with them. More space, plus home cooked meals, how can you go wrong? You're very lucky to have such caring, generous parents! Don't give it a second thought, I doubt Mickey would be offended.

Cheating on Mickey? :rotfl2: I would stay in the condo. $2,500 is a lot of money and really, how loyal has been Mickey been? ;) He's not making things any cheaper.

LOL, I completely agree! Personally, we always stay offsite and never feel like we're missing any magic. We love having a ton of space and our own car (I so do NOT do buses!). Plus I rather like leaving "campus" at the end of each day. But to each their own...have a great trip whatever you decide!

Mickey is VERY forgiving! Trust me on this!

We stayed off-site in February (beautiful condo in Kissimmee) and all of the Disney magic was still intact. In fact, my family loved the condo so much that we are going back in February 2009 (and this was after DH told us that he would be open to staying at a Disney resort). Your parents sound absolutely wonderful and I would DEFINITELY stay with them. Laundry? Wonderful meals? Transportation-by-Dad? Time with your parents? Go for it!

Promise me you'll stay with them and I'll make you some Mickey soaps! :)

I'm not only planning on "cheating on Mickey" for my next vacation, but I'm going to be cheating with Elmo Ernie and Grover. We'll be going to Beaches Turks and Caicos. No actual date or plan yet, but my husband wants to give Disney a break and we have friends that went there recently and raved, so we're going to give it a try.

We're a family of 3, and honestly, it's working out to be very little more $$ than our last few WDW trips have been. I'd say Mickey brought this on himself!!

#7 Saves BIG money

OH THIS TERRIBLE PROBLEM, :rotfl2: YOU LUCKY LUCKY Disney addict.
Would you consider a split, part with parents and then part on site. I totally get the "Disney feel" thing on property, I happen to agree, BUT, if money is the clincher, stay with them
Enjoy you trip whatever you decide!! :cheer2:

I like the idea of staying with your parents and splurging on some other Disney activities you normally wouldn't do or even staying a night or two in a deluxe resort in the middle of your vacation!

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for all the encourgement. My parents are great. I have been blessed to have them. I'm still not sure what we will do. I have 10 months to worry about it.

As much as I love staying onsite, I would definitely stay in the condo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter