• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I feel like I am going to be refereeing a disagreement tonight between DH and DD

I'd lean toward letting DD invite who she wants

BUT....

I am curious as to what your DH's rationale is? Is there a bigger picture here?

UGH. DD is a HS senior. Will be graduating in 2 weeks. We are having her grad party in 3 weeks.

The background is - one of DD's "former friends (FF)" pulled something at the beginning of the school year. We happen to be friends with the FF's family.

DH wants to invite the family to DD's grad party. DD absolutely doesn't want the FF to be there. Plain and simple. This is DD's party, and while she wouldn't mind if the rest of the FF's family is there, she doesn't want FF there.

DH will be pushing the issue tonight when DD gets home from work.

While I am normally on the side of "suck-it up buttercup" to DD, this is her party, and if DD doesn't want FF there - I'm OK with that, as DH and I could always go out with the FF's parents any other weekend after her party is over.

If this is DD's graduation party, it just seems very unkind to insist on inviting former friend's family.
If this is DH's party, then he can invite who he wants, DD can then leave and go do something fun on her own or with friends.

I guess a good compromise would be to have DD's party on her reasonably requested terms. Tell DH you'll plan a big 'ole party for him in July or Aug, and he can invite his friends, then.

The elephant in the room, of course, is what exactly did the former friend do?

Our family is kind of on the flip side of a similar situation. DSs former best friend just graduated. There is no way DS would want to attend FFs party and no way she would want him there. Our families have remained friendly, to a point. FF did send a graduation Announcement to our family, but no invitation to a party. Im pretty sure they had a party and was relieved to NOT be invited! It would have been awkward. I sent a card and a gift card. Easy and made no one uncomfortable!

Why are you having the party a week after graduation. Isn't supposed to be around the same time as graduation[/QUOTE]

THey have parties through the whole summer- if everyone had them on the same day they wouldn't be able to attend each others parties!

Please tell me you didn't just say this!!!!! Dad trumps all!! In what universe or backward world do you live in? But in my world Mom and Dad are equal, no one trumps anyone else.

Wow

LOL--I can't believe someone would even say this! I think dad has to suck it up and realize that this is not HIS graduation party but its his daughters and HER friends, NOT his!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter