I feel like a newbie!!!!

Stinkerbell's Mommy

Mouseketeer
We have not been to DisneyWorld since September 2013. Our daughter is now 12 and the friends we traveled with then now have two little ones of their own. With that said, we are looking at a trip for March 2020 that would be us (me, DH and DD) and them (him, her, DS who will be 4 and DD who will be almost 2 when we go) and possibly my 72 year old mother. Even though I've been to DisneyWorld a dozen times as I'm researching I'm realizing so much has changed in the past 5 years I am overwhelmed.

Our last trip we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and spent 9 days in the parks and at our resort. We dedicated two days each to the Magic Kingdom and to Epcot and one each to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

This time we are not sure where we would stay but the trip would be Saturday to Sunday with the first four days spent at Disney World and the last three at Universal Studios.

I don't even know where to start anymore!!!

So, those of you who have been more recently, what to do I "need" to know in order not to feel completely lost going into this???

Since you've been to WDW a lot and are familiar with the general layout, that will certainly help.

The biggest thing I'd suggest you learn and understand is the FP+ system. It's very different than the old paper system.

First, and almost most importantly, the new Fast Pass system. Forgive me, but I don't remember when the new system went into place, and if you are familiar with it or not. There are no paper tickets anymore, everything is done through the MDE website and app on smartphones. There's a thread on these boards that explains the system, how to use it, etc. That's really going to be one of the most important things for you to know and understand, as that can help dictate what rides you get to experience.

Animal Kingdom has the new Avatar land. The main attraction there, Flight of Passage, is a neat ride, but also commands long waits and is a Fast Pass priority if you want to experience that. The same goes for Slinky Dog Dash in the new Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios. On top of all of that, the new Star Wars area will be open by the time you go. Nobody really knows how that will work and what it will be like until it opens in late August. More details will be released as the time gets closer, but for now it's really hard to plan with that in the works.

We were very much in the same boat on this last trip. Our last one prior to that was 8-ish ago. So, we were not up to speed on the MagicBands, FP+, etc.

And given our previous type of visiting (very much un-regulated and very free-form.....often didn't even know which park we'd go to each morning, and got paper FP's when we got where we were going), we were relatively concerned about booking rides way in advance. I was even a somewhat vocal naysayer about what an asinine idea advance ride-booking was, when it first became a 'thing.'

But, I will say that the visit a month or so ago was very enjoyable. I will even go so far as to say that I was wrong about my criticism of the FP+ system. It worked fine for us. It merely meant having a more regimented touring style than we'd used in the past. That worked out just fine in the end, though.

Have a great time.

Last edited:

Something else new since you were there last—mobile ordering! Take advantage of ordering good ahead so you don’t waste time in food lines. Works for some snacks too!

If you use Disney transportation while on property, read one of the stickies to understand all your options as they have increased. New ways to see estimated wait times too. Be aware there are now parking fees at the resorts :(

With only 4 days, and diverse ages, I’d ask everyone their top priorities and see how those overlap WRT to trying to get FP for the group. You may need to prepare to split up a few times to accommodate different desires.

Lots of good info and helpful folks on the Universal boards too. Have fun!!

It merely meant having a more regimented touring style than we'd used in the past.

Since I am an uber planned anyway, my vacation planning spreadsheets are legendary, this may not be a problem for me at all!

Thanks for your input so far everyone! I will read up on the new FastPass and Transportation options since we are likely to be using Disney Transportation. Since we've all been before, with the exception of the littles, we all have our must sees and will definitely want to see some of the newer things that have come online since our last trip. As we tend to travel with a fairly diverse group, I make a point of asking everyone what their one MUST DO is and then make every effort to make sure that is done. Everything else is icing on the cake for us.

Funny, we’re in about the same boat. Went to Disney every year or two for a good while, then other things happened after 2013 (still traveling though, so that was nice - Alaska cruise, Hawaii, tough life :-)).

Now looking to go back in January with a guest who hasn’t been to Disney really in her memory (apparently was there as a young child and not since).

I used to consider myself somewhat of an expert at dealing with the parks (in no small part due to stuff I learned here), but now I feel like I’m starting over.

Not sure how I’m going to be ‘the expert’ if it’s all changed :-)

I would visit yourfirstvist.net for an idea about options for where you want to stay. Its a great website for resort information. I would also familiarize myself with fast pass + and look at the park maps and new lands. Disney Springs is all new with lots of places to eat. good luck, have some fun planning :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter