• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I don't remember people (guests) being so darn RUDE at WDW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunette8706

DIS Veteran
Hey alll!

I love Disney, we love it so much that we bought at second home in Orlando. Well we went to the Florida December 26 - January 5th. For the most part it was very nice as always but some of the people (guests) were literally out of control. We went to the MK late on 28th and exiting the park, which was very crowded I had two stollers on each side of me. The one on the right of me literally knocked me out of her way, or shall I say PUSHED me out of the way with her stroller and ran right over my feet (I was wearing flip flops). I did say "excuse me". She turned around and gave me a gesture with her finger. WOW! A few nights later we went to Fantasmic show, there was this man and woman that were holding 2 rows (bleacher seating)of seats for approximately 15 people. A couple wanted to sit at the seats that were being "held" and they refused them the seat. Well Okay, I thought. Then when the hoard of the 15 people came to their eh hem reserved seats with soda, and food at hand, she asked me to "MOVE MY PURSE" which was right on the side of me. Then she told me to MOVE down to make even more room for their family!!! What!?? I have been sitting here for 45 minutes (all the way to the left of the stage) and she not only wanted me to move my purse she wanted me to move down. I told her simply No. She was very obnoxious to say the least. Then of course we got a few people walking fast to get in front of us at the Haunted Mansion, then they told the other members of the family to meet them in line, (of course in front of us). Another incident was that the tram driver told people "NO MORE BOARDING". Well people were boarding and taking pictures from standing across the yellow line to his kids on the tram. Then when the family could not get on at the same time. They got off. It was unreal!

Now for the most part people we ran into at WDW are usually very nice and friendly, but not this trip. I don't know what was going on.

My suggestion if anyone wants to go during the Christmas Season they should go at the end of November or the very beginning of December. they weeks have much lighter crowds. This holiday season it was just so crowded and their were lines for everything (long lines). In my opinion it's just not worth it.

Thanks all! And Happy New Year!!

Brunette

Oh thanks Kimysbug! I just never really encourntered so much rudeness at once. Like I said it's usually not like that.

thank you.
brunette

That really stinks. Unfortunately, WDW is part of the world and that's how a lot of people are. I try very hard to live positively and not let things like that bother me, but it's really hard.
Are your toes okay?

What a bummer! But it's so cool that you have have home in Orlando now - sweet! I usually have a stroller when we go, and I am uber-concious of how I push it. I never want to be one of the inconsiderate ones that ram people! I know how it feels, I've been the one hit before, and it's just not nice! Here's hoping on your next trip you won't encounter any rude people.

The bigger the crowds the shorter the tempers and the greater the odds of running into someone who's more like a villain than a princess.

It is disgusting how rude people are, especially during the holidays! I refused to even go near the mall in December this year, people are out of control on the rudeness scale!

We were at WDW from 12/17-12/28 and this is an observation we made also. We have been many times to WDW but never at Christmas. I am ultra sensitive to trying not to be rude - basically I am just a rule follower by nature and that includes the rules of polite society.

By the end of the trip I was rather weeried by all of the rude behavior. I do think it is the type of thing that crowds seem to really ramp up. I think those who try to be polite get tired of being pushed around and they soon respond in kind.

Another issue I think that is made worse by crowds is the language barrier. May be different languages, may be accents, my be speed of speech, speed of reading, etc. We are all in unfamiliar terriotory trying to make sense of new things and often in a hurry. All of this can lead to behavior that is different from our normal every day well mannered selves :-)

I was there from about the 10th to the 17th of december and it was the first time i have EVER encountered rude people at disney world that i can recall. I had 3 seperate occasions where workers were incredibly rude to me and other guests. I can accept rude guests at sometimes and i realize part of going to a place like WDW but rude workers is never acceptable. Disney really seems to have brought the quality of workers down since my last visit(2007) along with the amount of decorations! The majority of the workers were kind and plesant but its the rude ones that will always stick out in my mind :mad:

These behaviors fall under what I call the "its all about me" syndrome.

This is not exclusive to Disney. I see this most prevalently on the roads.

The traffic light is yellow and the first car starts to stop for the light. The car behind him decides "I" don't have the time/patience/care to stop also, pulls around the first car and blows the light that just turned red.

How often have you been cut off by someone entering from a side street. There is nobody visible behind you but this person will cut you off and force you to brake because they don't want to get stuck behind you... its all about them and the heck with the safety of others.

This is the culture we are living in now and unfortunately I do not see the trend changing. More and more people feel they are "entitled" to something or other and could care less how other people are affected.

I just try to go with the attitude that I will never see these people again. My confronting them will not change there attittude and will just aggravate me more.

I think that large crowds stress people out. Many people have a low threshold for stress hence they 'act out'. It just seems like when people get together in large groups behavior just gets worse.

These behaviors fall under what I call the "its all about me" syndrome.

This is not exclusive to Disney. I see this most prevalently on the roads.

The traffic light is yellow and the first car starts to stop for the light. The car behind him decides "I" don't have the time/patience/care to stop also, pulls around the first car and blows the light that just turned red.

How often have you been cut off by someone entering from a side street. There is nobody visible behind you but this person will cut you off and force you to brake because they don't want to get stuck behind you... its all about them and the heck with the safety of others.

This is the culture we are living in now and unfortunately I do not see the trend changing. More and more people feel they are "entitled" to something or other and could care less how other people are affected.

I just try to go with the attitude that I will never see these people again. My confronting them will not change there attittude and will just aggravate me more.

As sad as this is, it is so very true. I just try to ignore them also and not let them put me in a bad mood!

Three things stood out from our trip last month:
1) We almost witnessed a fist fight in front of the ice cream parlor before the Christmas parade one day. A woman and her two small kids took up position along the curb in front of a family with a grandmother in a ECV. The woman remained standing thus she would effectively block the grandmother's view of the parade until it passed the position. The woman at first agreed in principle that she'd crouch down during the parade so the grandmother could see, but as the time drew near the woman was asked when she would be sitting down... and she then was belligerent in her response with a "When I'm good and ready!!!" reply. Heated words went back and forth. The family called a CM over to try and get them to ask the lady to move, but understandably the CM didn't have the authority to order anyone to move. Finally the husband had to walk away from the scene as he said that if he didn't he was going to punch the woman for sure. Sure enough, the woman remained standing in front of the ECV for the whole parade.
2) A CM another day at AK accused my wife of lying. Long story short, my wife grabbed a shirt off of a rack that the Island Mercantile wasn't supposed to be selling. The store CMs then pulled the shirts before we checked out. Upon checking out my wife found out that she grabbed the wrong size and she said that the size on the hanger was different than what was one the shirt. After some fussing by the CM he agreed to have another CM go get the right size from the stockroom. As we waited, he said "You know, I don't recall you handing me a hanger with (right size) on it!!!" and then preceded to rummage around in the hanger bin under the counter to pull out the "smoking gun" hanger. After a couple of seconds, he wisely stopped his search. My wife had to walk out of the store she was so mad.
3) The 3rd nod goes to the number of families we saw sitting at counter-service seating area tables enjoying their carted in PB&J, or bologna sandwiches, or cup-o-noodle (along with thermoses of hot water) meals as we walked about looking for an open table with our trays and/or finally giving up and eating our food standing up.

We were also there last week (Dec 29-Jan1). I have to agree with a previous poster, that when you're packed in person to person, tempers do tend to flare (Imagine how bad it is when it's packed AND hot!?!?).

My DD was actually run over by a lady on an ECV...the lady never looked back, just kept riding.

Another instance, was caused by bad timing on our part. We decided to walk toward the benches outside the TofT gift shop to wait for 2 of our fam. Unfortunately, Fantasmic was still exiting. We got caught up in all that traffic, and it was so stressful, it could have me want a drink :scared1:(and I don't drink any alcohol!) One lady was just pushing her stroller right through the crowds, yelling, "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP". I assumed :confused3 that it must be ok to run over folks as long as you give some sort of beeping/alert signal! ;)

My only complaint was Rose & Crown not giving us their lunch menu the day we were there for lunch. I think it was the 28th. I'd promised my son a hamburger for lunch and asked the waiter why we were given the dinner menu.

He said they just decided to serve dinner all day. :confused3 However, he asked the kitchen and they did produce the burger. We had good luck with most everything last week.

You should have went over to the lady that ran over your foot and asked her for an autograph. When she doesn't know what you're talking about ask her, "You are Lady Tremaine right?"

For those who don't know, Lady Tremaine is the evil stepmother from Cinderella.

We were there from 12/25 thru 1/2 and had the same observation. My son said at one point that "escuse me" must be a forgotten expression since everyone just pushed to get where they wanted with no consideration for anyone in their path. This was my 13th trip and yes there have always been instances of rudeness but I really found last week to be above and beyond.

We were there December 13 - 15 and ran into a lot of rude people too. :( I think it was because of the crowds.

I can emphathize. I, too, was a little surprised on how rude people were during our past two visits. Although I think crowd has a lot to do with people's behaviour, I also think it has a lot to do with people's attitudes.

We went in March and August, and although there were long lines etc, it still wouldn't compare to the crowds in late Dec. And we encounter many, many rude people. It really confused me since we have gone during those same time in previous years, and although we noticed some rude people, I felt that this year there must have been a rude/obnoxious convention.

It was probably a combination of the economy and Celebration theme. I saw a woman scream at a CM at a cs restaurant because the CM did not wish her daughter a happy birthday and, more importantly, did not give a free dessert. :eek: She continued to berate the CM even after she left the counter and announced to everyone that they used every savings they had so that their daughter could experience her birthday at Disney. :confused: They even splurged and took their trailer to the Fort Wilderness....she just went on and on...and although she had a few young children with her as well, she didn't seem to mind say inappropriate words. I was so surprised she wasn't asked to leave. :sad2:

Sorry, that went too long. I just wanted to agree that there seemed to be a lot of rude, obnoxious behaviour going on this year. I, too, don't remember seeing so many in my past vacations.:confused3

My DH and I go to Disney World 3 to 4 times a year. We have noticed that gets worse every time we go. Some people are so rude it just amazes me - especially in front of their children. They act like animals. Pushing, shoving, cursing, running over people with their strollers - some people use their strollers with their kids inside of them like if it was a plowing machine. My favorite are the ones that show up to parades 5 minutes before it's about to start and then want to push and shove their way in front of you or ask you if their child can stand in front of you. I don't know what's up with people lately. I've been going to Disney World since I was a child and I never noticed this rudeness until a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter