• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I do not recommend Capt Brians!

fred ferdlap

Mouseketeer
Just Back from 10/11.
Stingray city was great
Capt Brians was a HOT cattle call, avoid with little kids. Also Trip cut short.

This place is unorganized. Transfer to their boat lost my vote.
We arrived early off the Ship (as requested) and waited outside a shack house for everyone to get checked in. It was quite hot and it was pretty frustrating having passed the Capt Marvin folks waiting in an AC office(store) and AC bus.

Also keep in mind there were 35 people booked all waiting on two benches! ( in a chain linked dirt front yard). 45 minutes - 1 hr to get onto buses. This is low budget operation and I know many credit cards were being rejected, then approved.

The cat is great, but keep in mind there is limited shade. 80% of the passengers must sit in the sun. On calm days the sun will really hit you hard. (again with kids, be forewarned!)

The tour was fine and people good, but let's face it the sting ray's make the trip.

Now here is the best part. These clowns cut our trip short because people need to rush back to board non- Disney ships by 12:30??

We get back to the dock and our bus #2 stops to fill with gas on the way back to town. Oh yeah you must turn the bus and AC off while you put gas in! Did I mention it was 90+ degrees.

On our walk back to the Disney ship we passed Capt Marvin's store front and bought cold sodas and went into their AC office to chat about the differences. The capt. Brain bus would not drop us back at the disney dock.

wow - sorry you had such a bad experience.........

we used Capt Bryan's back in July - and yes it was hot at that
time but we had a very short wait to check in and get on the
bus. And that part of the excursion was clearly outweighed by the awesome time we had sailing on the catamaran....

of course, the kids with us were ages 9,12,12,14, so that probably helped as well. And they wouldn't trade lounging on the trampoline part of the catamaran for any other powerboat excursion.

Fred:

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to read all kinds of reports because they're all helpful in determining which excursion company would best suit our own comfort levels. I like to hear the good and the bad about any and all aspects of the vacations I'm planning.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us!

Fred, sorry you had a bad experience.We would have loved for you to join us on Capt. Marvins. It was a wonderful trip.
The bus driver gave us a nice tour on the way to the dock, pointing out the governers house and telling us a little island history. I never knew the Cayman Islands were once part of Jamacia! They also gave us (every adult) a nice rum cake when we returned as well as a 10% discount on any store purchase.

OUCH now you have me worried. We have Cpt Bryans booked for our upcoming sailing. I have never read any negative reviews of them before now. Has anyone else had a bad time?

I was also on the 10/11 cruise and used them...What is being said is TRUE!!!!!!!!!!! What a dis-organized operation...He would not let more than one person in the office because he was afraid of staying cool himself. It was a LOW BUDGET operation. I had my own 40 ft boat along with my family and other couple totaling 8 people. The boat was so bad that you had to stay on the top deck because of the smoke from the engines!!!!!!!!!! The only good thing about it was that he shorted himself $100.00 on my credit card...His lost...my gain...
I too walk passed the other store and it was beautiful

Stay AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I'm so surprise, we've gone with Captain Bryans many times and always found them to be really professional.

I guess every operator has there off days though as I've read negative review from Native Way and Captain Marvins and now Captain Bryans too.

The only one that I haven't read a negative review from yet is Snorkelers Dream Catamaran/ Stingray City Catamaran which is who we are trying this time so hopefully we will have a good day!!

Wavegirl, you say you have used Capt B's many times? And have been happy? Do you feel that maybe this was more of an off day? I am really starting to wonder if maybe I shouldnt change my ressies over to Capt M's. I will be traveling with 3 children 8,7 and 3. Of course, we are from GA and quite used to heat and humidity, but is it THAT bad?

videoman, was the boat in that bad of shape? Did you enjoy yourselves at all?

Yes we had a great time with the Stingrays and snokeling... But as I said the boat was smoking so bad that we had to stay on the top deck. I rented the 40ft Sweet Allison boat and paid $500.00 for it and would have thought it would be in better condition. The way they run things there was terrrible. Waited over an hour to finally get on the boat. Ran around like a nut to make sure I was there on time.

Some of these things have really nothing to do with an off day.
(bad equipment and poor facilities)

I too had scourded these board and researched the trips. I kindof got sold on the Catamaran deal. And yes being on the trampoline is nice and cool. But, It's no real place for little kids. And many folks are using these non-Disney operators because they do allow < 5yr olds.

I just want to make it clear, with the little ones this outfit should be avoided. Not to mention the way we were treated when we or other people complained.

I encourage people to do the sting ray city as it is a blast!

I, too, was on the same Capt Bryan's trip. I thought the checkin procedures were a mess. There is no reason to get there between 8:30 and 8:45 -- closer to 9:00 would be fine. I had a 4 year old and an 8 year old. They were fine, but I did ask about being dropped back at the ship. The guy said 'yes'. There were 2 vans full of people. One van went to the ship -- the other back to the starting point to pick up strollers. I was on the second van and was very mad about not being taken back to the ship. I went back in the house and told the guy to drive us and he did. My 4 year old was exhausted and I didn't want to carry her back.

I actually thought the cat was fine -- I wasn't looking for shade and didn't have very young kids. Actually, I don't think a trip to stingray city is really appropriate for those with really young kids. My 4 year old was very tired and I could see the younger kids were tired, too. But, my 8 year old had a blast!

I would go again to stingray city, but I would research a private boat to take us.

We too would look for a more custom trip. It seemed like a whole lot of effort and time ( getting off the boat, Tendering, Walking the the 4 minute walk(???) (more like 15), waiting at the shack (45 min), bus ride, boat ride, and then back) for a 20 minutes at sting ray city and 20 minutes snorkeling. I kindof feel scammed for the time we spent???

We could have gone longer and encourage others to investigate further.

Originally posted by Mjasp
Who does Disney use for their excursion? Anyone know?

Joanna

Good question, Joanna, I'm wondering the same thing.

I was also on the 10/11 cruise and also did Captain Brian's Catamaran Stingray City and snorkle excursion.

ReadyforDisney - I knew you were on the Capt. Brian's excursion and I knew you had two children but with all the people with so many little kids, I couldn't figure out who you were. Also, I didn't realize there were other Dis'ers on the catamaran. DH and I had our Cruisetoberfest hats on and figured if people were interested they could approach us but no one on the excursion did.

I truly loved the catamaran experience. I loved the stingrays and I loved snorkling at "the aquarium".

I was not too happy with the checkin procedure. We also rushed like crazy to get there in time. We were delayed leaving the ship due to the battery of our safe dying just as we were locking up the extra cash and needed to go to guest services about the problem. I was so afraid we would miss it. Our excursion was scheduled to start before the Capt. Marvin one and yet we saw their bus go by us while we were standing in the yard still waiting to check in!

While I didn't really feel cheated in the time we spent out there, I do feel that if that couple from the Inspiration did not have to be back so soon, we would have gotten to stay out a bit longer. We were lucky enough to be on the same bus as they were and so we got dropped off right at the dock.

My main problem with the Captain Brian excursion had nothing to do with him except for the fact that he allows young children onboard. I believe the Disney excursions do not allow children age 4 (maybe 5?) and younger to go to Stingray City. Well, there is a reason for this and Capt. Brian should take note of it.

I may get flamed for the following but it is what I observed while on this excursion.

I saw some parents (not all) who were vacation and left their brains at home.

I saw one family leaving the gated area of Capt. Brian's yard to go next door to the store and their little girl nearly get hit by a bus because someone was not paying attention.

I saw a little 3-4 year old boy walking the deck by himself while we were sailing with no one nearby paying attention to him, let alone holding his hand. He could have easily slipped into the water.

I saw a young girl a bit older who did slip and fall and cry because she hurt herself (or maybe she was just overtired). One of the crew came to her rescue, picked her up and gave her to the mom who just sat there the entire time looking not at all concerned. The little girl then cried for the rest of the excursion.

I saw parents holding up the lines getting into the water because they were trying to coax their children in who had no interest at all in getting into the water.

I didn't pay much attention to what went on with the children once I was in the water but I did hear alot of crying by children. Don't know if it was children from our boat or one of the many others but there certainly seemed to be a lot of crying going on.

posted by fred ferdlap....I just want to make it clear, with the little ones this outfit should be avoided.....
I think more appropriately, with the little ones excursions such as this should be avoided. It wouldn't have matter if it was Capt. Brian or Capt. Marvin. The little ones cannot snorkle and many seemed afraid of the stingrays. Capt Brian, however, does have the added danger of the catamaran where little ones can easily fall off when they are not being properly supervised.

For children 8/9 and older, this would be a grand excursion in my opinion.

Tulirose
Whew! I think my kids did not fit in any of your categories.
maybe on the coaxing part, but the screaming you heard was my wife (she's a little freaked by the rays)

Some good, points, but I still blame the tour operator, (captain Bryan's). We were really at capacity or over. They allowed too many people and kids and really could not handle the capacity.

Why were people going next door and kids wandering around? The place was a dump on the edge of a busy street. You nearly were run over getting in the gate. Just try another company which will take better care of you.

But by all means go! and take your littlest kids! I take em everywhere. Kids scream and cry, they do it all day and as parents we live with it and life goes on. Otherwise we would be at home until they were all six.

Tulirose . . . I forgot you were on this trip. I was the one with the 4 year old girl that was crying. She did slip and fall on the deck (she was walking to the net where my neighbor was - and I was watching from my side.). But, her crying was because she has a problem with her skin in salt water -- her excema is so bad the salt water stings very badly. I checked her skin before she got in the water and I thought she was clear, but obviously she wasn't. I sprayed her with the fresh water on the boat, but the damage was done. Her skin hurt and stung, she was tired and she was crying. It wasn't the slip on the deck that caused the problem, it was her skin.

I also saw the girl step out into the street in front of the cars. It was scary. I guess they were walking to the bakery. It would have been nice to have a gate betwen Capt Bryan and the bakery. I did go next store to buy some cold water and sit away from the crowds.

Don't you think Capt Bryan should know before we get on the boat what time the people had to be back? I couldn't believe someone booked this knowing the trip lasted until 12:30 and their last tender was at 12:30. Doesn't make sense.

I can assume that Tulirose does not have children. I was also on that same excursion where we were left outside like cattle waiting for cap't brian to call in the next person to be in the cool air as he was. The children could not fit in the gated area and from what i saw the parents were looking after their children. Crying children?...well if that bothers you then you certainly shouldn't choose disney. My children 5 & 9 absolutely loved the stingrays and what an experience it was for them. I would never choose thru Captain Brians again, and i think as a parent you know your child, and you choose your excursions accordingly, but do not tell people not to go on a chance of a life time w/their children because you were upset about crying children. As for that child with the exima, i feel sorry for her, because my skin was hurting and i don't even have that condition.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter