• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I do not like the new baggage limits!

In general I agree but the OP hit two of the exceptions. Some people are on a vacation which requires sports equipment. The OP wants to check golf clubs. A similar issue occurs when a passenger is on a ski vacation. The OP is having some kind of private photo shoot that requires extra dress clothing. People going on a cruise or to a wedding have these issues.

Passengers in that position just need to plan on paying to check extra bags. Over the long haul we probably come out ahead with the new policy. People bring less stuff and airlines can make a few extra dollars with freight.

Yes, I realize that, as we've also traveled with golf clubs.

But people tend to waaayyyy overpack and then wonder why they don't have room in their suitcases or why they have to pay more because they weigh so much.

It isn't like they are going in the winter, when they might possibly need jeans or heavy sweatshirts. Dress clothes for two people (three, in case she's taking her DD) do NOT take up that much space...neither do shorts/t shirts. :confused3

Unpack half the stuff you packed and you should be good. :thumbsup2

This is the way air travel is going to be people...best get used to it! We, as Americans, tend to pack way too much. We just have to have everything we could conceivably need with us...just in case. When I traveled to WDW with my 31 y/o dd in Jan, I could not beleive the stuff she brought. I mean, come on...a hair dryer?? I told her they have hair dryers in WDW but she said..just in case, better safe than sorry. And shoes? Who needs 5 pair of flip-flops in addition to 5 other pair of shoes?? My dd, that's who. She said it was about having choices. And clothes?? Man, this girl brough the equivalent of 3 outfits a day...just so she could have a choice. And heaven forbid she pack clothes that were the same color grouping.

So....with the extra expense of checked bags, we would do better to travel more lightly. Plan on doing some laundry on vacation. It's not the most fun, but sometimes it's just part of the trip. If I stay anywhere for more than 5 days, I do laundry.

I would much rather the airlines charge each individual extra for 'x' number of checked bags vs just raising all the fares. If someone chooses to bring two bags to be checked, for each member of the family, then they are going to have to figure that into their travel budget. I tend to check maybe two bags for three people if we are going to be gone for a week. No way do I want to subsidize the costs for those who choose to pack more bags.

I do understand the confusion that if prevalent out there due to the airlines charging for bags but travelers booked their flights before these mandates came out. Just do the homework...be informed. That way you won't end up being charged for something you shouldn't be charged for. Be sure the airlines honor what they have said they will do.

We also checked two bags for four people for a week stay at WDW. I'm not one who believes in "just in case"...Orlando isn't the middle of the Amazon...they do have stores there where you're able to purchase something if you find you absolutely need it. ;)

We also checked two bags for four people for a week stay at WDW. I'm not one who believes in "just in case"...Orlando isn't the middle of the Amazon...they do have stores there where you're able to purchase something if you find you absolutely need it. ;)

Exactly, there will be the same stores as home! Orlando is a mecca of consumerism. I pack more stuff for a 1 week beach vacation in Cuba, "just in case", that I did for 2 weeks in Disney! If I needed toiletries, medecine, hygiene products, I knew I'd get them in Disney, but that's not so sure of Cuba.

I read a statement by Rick Steves once that has stuck with me...

It was something like "If you go into the store in XYZ and they don't have your "must haves" ask yourself how all those people live without it" And it's true! I have been to the middle of the jungle and found stores with most of your basic supplies... Maybe not the 50 brands we have in America but something that would do. Sure you don't get "Crest, Colgate, Aquafresh" choice, but there was toothpaste!

And it's not just the cost of the "fees" it's the cost in my energy, time, effort etc. It's the cost of tipping skycaps or bellman because you can't easily handle the pile of junke you brought. It's the cost of having to reserve a bigger car to hold all the junke. It's the cost of losing things because with the luggage, carryons etc someone "forgot" something.

You must have been watching me in Hawaii two years ago. I was the designated bag counter for the six of us at every stop. I even had a list with the descriptions of each of the bags in case one was missing.

Sheila

In general I agree but the OP hit two of the exceptions. Some people are on a vacation which requires sports equipment. The OP wants to check golf clubs. A similar issue occurs when a passenger is on a ski vacation. The OP is having some kind of private photo shoot that requires extra dress clothing. People going on a cruise or to a wedding have these issues.

Passengers in that position just need to plan on paying to check extra bags. Over the long haul we probably come out ahead with the new policy. People bring less stuff and airlines can make a few extra dollars with freight.

I agree with a poster just a few behind mine ----- it's time to face the reality of air travel.

In June last year crude oil was priced at $61 p/barrel and the airlines were barely making ends meet.

It is entirely possible that in June of 2009 the airline business will look much different ---- with very-very few leisure passengers occupying seats.

Yes, you can bring your golf clubs and yes, you may have to pay for them to travel. That's life now. Yes, we can pack all we always have --- we will just pay for the priviledge now.

I posted this rumor months ago and got flamed.....the airlines really want to charge for EVERY bag checked....and it's their goal by the end of the year in addition to cutting flights and raising ticket prices.

You can always ship them..........for grins I checked what it would cost to ship a 50 lb. bag from Annapolis to Orlando and back in December......$192.00 round trip-economy. That is beginning to make the airline fee seem reasonable.

Hey - we should all be happy when our flights are not CANCELLED...check some of the other threads recently.

Sad to say....but times are a' changing.

You can always just store things at Disney.

If you vacation there enough it might be worthwhile. At least a couple of us on this board have done that via www.ownerslocker.com

For me I can pack carryon without an issue, but having the "locker" lets me have my toys and "nice to haves" (You know the "special" Disney bag, the beach towel, the REAL hairdryer LOL!)

Exactly, there will be the same stores as home! Orlando is a mecca of consumerism. I pack more stuff for a 1 week beach vacation in Cuba, "just in case", that I did for 2 weeks in Disney! If I needed toiletries, medecine, hygiene products, I knew I'd get them in Disney, but that's not so sure of Cuba.

Lucky duck, getting to legally travel to Cuba!

I read a statement by Rick Steves once that has stuck with me...

It was something like "If you go into the store in XYZ and they don't have your "must haves" ask yourself how all those people live without it" And it's true! I have been to the middle of the jungle and found stores with most of your basic supplies... Maybe not the 50 brands we have in America but something that would do. Sure you don't get "Crest, Colgate, Aquafresh" choice, but there was toothpaste!

Yay, a mention of RS on the transportation board. :goodvibes

I overpacked dreadfully on a trip to Ireland (was not aware of Rick Steves!) back in '95, and even though it was allowed at the time and we had a car rented anyway, the biggest negative about it was how much my traveling companion made fun of me, and the weird looks I got from the B&B owners.

I wonder if ownerslocker will be in Anaheim anytime? I'd love to send some stuff down to stay there so we don't have to pack them all the time. :goodvibes

OP, if paying a little bit will help you not be stressed, then pay a little bit. Will your photoshoots actually show your shoes, though? Do you *have to* bring shoes for it? I know if I were having a photoshoot I'd want them to focus on upper bodies, not distance shots, so I wouldn't be concerned about shoes.

Yay, a mention of RS on the transportation board. :goodvibes

You have obviously missed my posts where I say that his television program is okay only with the sound turned down ;)

:duck: His NPR radio show is also great with the sound turned down :rolleyes1

Another thought to consider, if your flight is cancelled and your ticket is signed over to another airline you will need to meet the new airlines baggage allowance.

You have obviously missed my posts where I say that his television program is okay only with the sound turned down ;)

Perhaps I should have said a *positive* mention. I know you don't like him, find him condescending, I believe...I don't understand, having seen him in person many many times, but I know you don't like him. :goodvibes

His whole point is to teach Americans to not come blasting into a place being UGLY Americans, and to be travelers instead of tourists, so with the exception of his guidebooks causing little known places to be well known, I can't figure out the objection!

OK, we are back. We had to pay for our extra bag both ways. I am going to email DOT and let them know. I mentioned to the people checking us in that we purchased our tickets long in advance and that this charge didn't apply to us. They said it applies to everyone.

As far as getting used to the idea of not having that many bags, it's just not going to happen in my case! We actually used everything we took. I did laundry twice while there and still came home with no clean clothes. Many outfits were worn twice.

On any other vacation, I don't worry about not having everything b/c I know there's a Wal-Mart not far away. At WDW, however, we stay on property. It's cheaper to pack things than to pay the over-inflated Disney prices or take a cab to a Wal-Mart.

I'd just like to add my 2 cents on two items. (1) Those of you who travel frequently are probably much better at packing and knowing what to bring, since you have more experience. Those of us that are inexperienced, tend to bring everything. And (2) being a larger sized woman, it's not always easy to find clothing items you might need on vacation. I could always find t-shirts, but try finding shorts, jeans, etc. I'm not about to rent a car to go to Walmart because I need shorts, so I tend to pack more. I understand that I might have to pay more, and that's fine, but since I purchased my tickets before this all began, I expect my airline to hold up their end of the deal, which they have confirmed (so far) that they will (Continental).

OK, we are back. We had to pay for our extra bag both ways. I am going to email DOT and let them know.

If you go to the delta web site, there is a form you can fill out to have the fees refunded in your case. I hope you saved the receipts.

If you go to the delta web site, there is a form you can fill out to have the fees refunded in your case. I hope you saved the receipts.

Thank you! I have contacted the DOT, but wasn't sure how to contact Delta. I'll get it done today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter