I could use some pixie dust....and some pain relievers--UPDATE pg 2

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
I took my sore, aching feet to the orthopedist today. My feet hurt pretty bad most of the time, to the point that I'm limping a lot. He was alarmed at the wear on my currenct orthotics, so he took xrays. :scared1: Holy cow! the arches in both feet have totally collapsed and the foot bones are lying on the floor (they should be 1 to 1-1/2 inches *off* the floor!) There's some other stuff too, but it's TMI--you'd lose your lunch. The DIS-safe version is he gave me a cortisone injection into each foot and sent me off with some prescriptions, a PT consult, and an order for new orthotics. He's going to put me in the highest level of support orthotic. The great news is that my insurance actually covers this. ANd not only that. but we've met our out of pocket deductible so the $900 worth of orthotics are going to be FREE!! :banana:

And now, if you could just send me some pixie dust, or at least some chocolate. I'm supposed to ice my feet, but they are just hurting so bad I'm going to have to soak them in warm water. I'll ice them tomorrow, but right now they're hurting so much I may need to take something to help me sleep. I'm allergic to ibuprofen, so Extra Strength Tylenol is about the only thing I can take.

Oh Minky that's gotta hurt! Pixie dust, hugs, happy thoughts and virtual chocolate sent your way!!!!!:)

Understand where coming from today. My feet hurt so bad that I barely can walk. But then again I have been working 7 days straight without day off wither.

I hear you my left foot collapsed so long ago. I am glad you are getting it taken care of. Its hard to take care of things with no ins. Did he send you to a chiroprator for the bone issue?

I hear you my left foot collapsed so long ago. I am glad you are getting it taken care of. Its hard to take care of things with no ins. Did he send you to a chiroprator for the bone issue?

No, but he's sending me to a rheumatologist.:guilty: There are some worrisome changes in some of the foot joints, as well as my finger joints which are swollen and beginning to deform. I've had labs drawn, which came back normal. BUt I have a very strong history of Rheumatoid Arthritis--sister, brother, mother, maternal grandfather. Also, mother and father both have/had gout. Interestingly, my sister and brother are both sero-negative for RA. The lab tests don't show it, but their symptoms are so compelling that they are considered to have RA anyway. So in have an appt to be seen in mid-January. Too bad I couldn't get in before then, since it would be FREE!

No, but he's sending me to a rheumatologist.:guilty: There are some worrisome changes in some of the foot joints, as well as my finger joints which are swollen and beginning to deform. I've had labs drawn, which came back normal. BUt I have a very strong history of Rheumatoid Arthritis--sister, brother, mother, maternal grandfather. Also, mother and father both have/had gout. Interestingly, my sister and brother are both sero-negative for RA. The lab tests don't show it, but their symptoms are so compelling that they are considered to have RA anyway. So in have an appt to be seen in mid-January. Too bad I couldn't get in before then, since it would be FREE!

If you can drop everything at a moments' notice for an earlier appointment, make sure they know it. I've let docs know we will gladly take an earlier appointment if someone cancels and have had really good luck with that. :thumbsup2 It's worth a shot!

I don't know that I would use heat...ice hurts for the first few minutes then when you are numb, it isn't a big deal. The more you ice, the less "shock" time you experience when you first start. If there is any swelling in the soft tissue, the heat will make it worse.

I don't know that I would use heat...ice hurts for the first few minutes then when you are numb, it isn't a big deal. The more you ice, the less "shock" time you experience when you first start. If there is any swelling in the soft tissue, the heat will make it worse.

I think I can stand the ice today, but last night i was in a lot of pain. Had a hard time going to sleep. This morning the feet are really sore. I have to go to work today 12-6, on my feet the whole time. Not looking forward to that!But I'll live through it. :goodvibes There are worse pains--like getting your foot shot off.

ss to hear that my mom and myself have the same problem my mom can go to the shoe maker on the 4th

I'm so sorry about what you are going through. I have RA and last Easter I had a flare-up of gout-it's bad enough to be in pain anytime, but around the holidays are even worse. I would suggest you be very careful about using the Tylenol. Very toxic to the liver-more than people realize. Do you have access to a whirlpool/hot tub? I go to my rec.center and stick my foot directly on the jets and man does that feel good! Take care.

ugh! I can't imagine how that must hurt! I have bouts of plantar fasciitis - but I don't think it gives me the pain you must have with collapsed arches.

I second the notion of asking to be notified of a cancellation for the referral appt.

Hang in there.

I am a skeptic, but DD, who is a dancer (20+ hours in the ballet studio a week), SWEARS by Active-on for her aching hips and sore joints. I must admit, I tried it on my foot (fallen arch, plantar fasciitis) and it did feel better. Dancers also like Tiger Balm. It's not gonna cure anything, but it might help you feel a little better.

Ice is supposed to constrict the blood/fluid flow to an area and reduce swelling; heat promotes blood flow to improve healing, so it really sounds like you should ice, then heat, but I know what you mean: I cannot imagine icing my back when it flares up, even though it's what I am supposed to do. It really seems to make me more tense and everything more painful. Good luck with your feet.

I'm so sorry about what you are going through. I have RA and last Easter I had a flare-up of gout-it's bad enough to be in pain anytime, but around the holidays are even worse. I would suggest you be very careful about using the Tylenol. Very toxic to the liver-more than people realize. Do you have access to a whirlpool/hot tub? I go to my rec.center and stick my foot directly on the jets and man does that feel good! Take care.

I'm very careful about meds, in general. Since I had an anaphylactic reaction to ibuprofen, it puts most NSAIDS on the "Do not take" list. So tylenol and non-medical measures are about all I've got. i take my 2 arthritis-strength tylenol once or twice in a day. And the rest of the time, i just live with it. The pain is not acute, but it's a deep, aching soreness that overtakes the tops of both feet to my ankles. The fatigue makes me limp. i have had plantar fasciitis before and that's a totally different sort of pain (bad in it's own right!) Thank God I've finished the Christmas shopping. Sometimes I stand at the cash register and think, "Can I make it to the car?" I can't wait to get in the bathtub for a good long soaking!

I am a skeptic, but DD, who is a dancer (20+ hours in the ballet studio a week), SWEARS by Active-on for her aching hips and sore joints. I must admit, I tried it on my foot (fallen arch, plantar fasciitis) and it did feel better. Dancers also like Tiger Balm. It's not gonna cure anything, but it might help you feel a little better.

Ice is supposed to constrict the blood/fluid flow to an area and reduce swelling; heat promotes blood flow to improve healing, so it really sounds like you should ice, then heat, but I know what you mean: I cannot imagine icing my back when it flares up, even though it's what I am supposed to do. It really seems to make me more tense and everything more painful. Good luck with your feet.

The orthopedist gave me a prescription for Voltaren gel to be used twice a day on my feet. I dont know how long it will take to tell any difference, but I seem to be able to tolerate it okay. I'll see if i can find those other things, to use in between the Voltaren doses.

Getting older just sucks!

pixiedust:

Sending pixie dust, blessings and happy wishes you way. Hope you feel better soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter