"I could never do that job"

I worked as an RN for 12 years and heard that a lot, I now homeschool 2 kids and hear it a lot. I also hear "I don't know how you do that" in regard to my DH being active duty/deployed.

I couldn't be one of those Servpro people (and similar companeis), the folks who come in and clean up buildings after sewer backups, suicides, places where people were found months after they died, crazy cat ladies.

I think it every time I watch the show "Hoarders." I would have a really hard time keeping the disgust off my face. I think I'm a pretty compassionate person in general, but man that would be hard!

I tell myself that every morning about the job I have but since I have bills to pay I drag myself in there anyway

I teach Advanced Placement Calculus and get told it all the time.

I also say it about Kindergarten Teachers I could never do their jobs. My knees would not hold out.

I'm a banker n Manhattan! Isn't that also behind blood-sucking lawyer? Especially post recession? ;)

In high school I worked in a tanning salon, I think that would be pretty high on can't-do lists: lots of wiping up sweat with antibacterial spray.

Jobs I couldn't do, but others would likely love:
- Forest Ranger. I get cold. Hypothyroid. The first time it was sleeting on me, I'm appropriating the Forest Ranger truck and going to the mall.
- veterinarian. I'm afraid of big dogs! Incident involving rottweiler in childhood.
- NYC Police Department. Scary situations every day. They are truly heroes. I just passed two who were trying to convince a mentally ill homeless guy in the subway to go with them, offering food. He couldn't stay where he was because he has no pants on. At all. It was a rather shocking start to the morning.

I was a vol fire fighter and I got that all the time(a lot more when they realized I'm a girl) and now I'm a school bus driver and I get it all the time. Now my dh is an accountant for a big retail store - his job I could never do(I look at some of his work and I'm confused)

DD#2 is also an editor - books now, but she used to be the editor of a national magazine (she doesn't like to say which one - it was a small specialized magazine). People said they could never do her job because of the people she worked with, not because of the work. She says everyone thinks they're an editor!

Queen Colleen

:rotfl:

Having everyone think they could do your job is worse than having people think they can't. If they think they can't, there's a certain amount of respect for you and your abilities.

As an author, I never get "I couldn't do that". I always get, "I've always thought I could do that, if I just had the time/money/opportunity etc." It's a great job to have, but there is so little respect for the actual amount of work, talent, and knowledge that goes into being a successful one.

Until I became a SAHM, I worked at a psychiatric hospital with children and adults with intellectual disabilities and/or ASD plus a psychiatric diagnosis. Yes, I got that a lot.

Also a very high turnover rate with staff, so I suppose people who worked there had the same thought.

I've thought that about almost every job I've ever had. Now I have a job that I REALLY like - retired.....

I hear it all the time. I am a death investigator for the county. I work at the Medical Examiner's as a chief investigator and have participated in many autopsies. I testify at trial as an DNA expert when needed. I have seen and experienced lots of gory stuff:) People ask me how I can do such a job all the time.

I do it to bring closure to many families involved and get great satisfaction from that. Some days it gets to me especially when I am dealing with children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter