I can't think of a better place to turn 30! ~ Oct 2014 PTR (Update 8/2)

Hey! I saw the link to your PTR you signature when you commented on mine, so I figured I’d come check it out.

When we were there last year, we only did FP+ in advance 2 of 3 days … the other day we made our selections morning of. It may be harder to do that now, though, because the FP+ sells out more – when we were there, it was still in the early stages of FP+. Since you’re there for long enough to spend more than one day at each park, you may want to pick one day to do FP+ for each park, and the rest of the days you can see what’s available once you’ve chosen a park. You may not get everything you want when you choose the morning of, but you might get lucky and get something good (or maybe you’ll have a chance to try a ride you don’t normally do).

I do think the old Fastpass system allowed for more spontaneity … we used to see the fastpass return times that were available and change our schedule on
the fly based on that.

I think if you’re willing to put up with some longer lines, you can still be a little spontaneous … it’s jut not quite as fun or as easy as it used to be.

Hi and welcome!

We went last October and FP+ were easy to snag day-of. Then again, it was earlier in the testing phase and we could still "double dip" with legacy FastPass.

Then in January... well, we went in late January and the crowds were almost non-existent! But on top of that, things were still in testing and off-site guests had to visit a kiosk to use FP+. It was still generally easy to book day-of or change your FP+ mid-day.

But now that it's pretty much open to all, I'm worried we won't get the rides we want, particularly 7DMT! Especially because I think our dates are going to be VERY busy, based on crowds from last year and the resort availability is less than last year's, as well...

And I agree that being willing to wait does help. And we are not terribly impatient. I have a hard time getting in a line that's greater than 40 minutes, though. It almost hurts my feelings to do it. :laughing: I am planning to buy the Hidden Mickey app (so I don't have to lug around a book) and I'm hoping that will help pass time in lines.

Plans look great. Oh to be young again and be able to have a late night and get up early the next day. :lmao: Funny how that creeps up on ya.

We are big Star Wars fans in this family. Twice they have held the big convention Star Wars Celebrations in Orlando, hope they do it again soon.

I am stressing so much about FP this time.

Plans look great. Oh to be young again and be able to have a late night and get up early the next day. :lmao: Funny how that creeps up on ya.

We are big Star Wars fans in this family. Twice they have held the big convention Star Wars Celebrations in Orlando, hope they do it again soon.

I am stressing so much about FP this time.

Me too! I am just very thankful right now that we have no desire to meet A&E.

On the sleeping in bit... I always feel more like an OLD person because I wake up so early! I can't sleep in to save my life! It's like once my brain notices daylight, I'm up. I have blackout curtains but it still creeps in. I could NEVER do night shift for that reason. I've had to do it a few times and I can never sleep the next day!!!

Star Wars is pretty cool. Don't know how I missed out on it til now! I think my favorite character is C3PO!

Your plans look great!

I love Star Wars, unfortunately I do not get to see the movies as much as I would like cuz DH isn't into it as much as I am and I don't own them. My dad does so growing up I saw them a lot.

I have Fastpass + tips on my PTR, based off my experience, although since you aren't needing to try for Anna and Elsa I think you will be fine. I only have trouble with that FP+ all others were no problem to secure.

Your plans look great!

I love Star Wars, unfortunately I do not get to see the movies as much as I would like cuz DH isn't into it as much as I am and I don't own them. My dad does so growing up I saw them a lot.

I have Fastpass + tips on my PTR, based off my experience, although since you aren't needing to try for Anna and Elsa I think you will be fine. I only have trouble with that FP+ all others were no problem to secure.

Hey, thanks! Actually, I just made my FP+ selections and since A&E isn't on our to-do list, I didn't have (too much) trouble. Update to follow soon.

And on Star Wars.... ebay is my BFF! Found the set online for cheap! :)

~fastpass selection day!~

SO guys... after lots of waiting for this day... 60 days out has finally arrived!

60daysout_zps49fa550d.png

I decided NOT to stay up until midnight or 1AM to make FP+ selections and chance it this morning. I woke up at 3AM... thought about it... nah, rolled over, snoozed some more. Woke up at 5AM.. tried to go back to sleep, but resistance was futile! So I got up and logged in to MDE.

I had read somewhere that they had made changes to the way FP+ selections are made. I really liked the changes. It was much more streamlined. You still had to make your selection times with the choices they gave you, but instead of having to constantly switch screens to modify the times, you could modify them all on one page. If that makes sense. I felt like the entire process was a breeze vs. the cumbersome experience it was the last two times I've done it.

The one snag I came across was 7DMT on Oct 3. I wanted an 11-12AM time slot, but the first available was already down to 4-5. I planned for us to leave the park right after the Festival of Fantasy parade, so really, I suppose the 4-5 time slot will be okay. We'll just have to wait til the end of the day to ride it vs. the beginning.

Also of note, I thought about making a Festival of Fantasy FP for that same day, but it was already unavailable.

I also snagged an MSEP FP+ for Oct 4 which I am very excited about. It's a Saturday AND EMH night so I expect huge crowds! I'm glad we'll have a spot to watch the parade, and hopefully afterwards, we'll just back up a bit to watch Wishes. (I didn't book the Wishes FP because there's just nothing like viewing Wishes from in front of the castle. I LOVE IT.)

Everything else went smoothly, although let me say that FP+ at Epcot are a joke. I picked Soarin' for each day we plan to be there and then just filled in whatever. Maelstrom was missing from the list just as others have reported, so I guess a refurb is in the works. A Frozen refurb, perhaps??? Anyway, I even picked Figment as a filler FP+, just for laughs. :rotfl: Would've liked Illuminations, but not giving up Soarin' for that, especially with the new Standby+ fiasco, if that sticks.

I also did Online Check-In, because I was in this kind of mood: :hyper: It said something about Streamlined Check-in... is that where you bypass the front desk? Don't know if I like that, especially since it wouldn't let me choose a PIN. Said we already had PINs. So I'm wondering if that's left over from our January trip. I may have to see what that's about at the front desk anyway.

So that's about it for our 60 days out news.

In other news, DS started 5th grade yesterday.

5thgrade_zpsb33142d2.png

He reported a great first day. Liked his teacher and group of classmates.

We are headed to the water park today with some friends and fun in the sun. It's no Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, but that's okay! :cloud9: See you guys next update and thanks for reading!

Glad you were able to get all your FP+ without staying up! :thumbsup2

Wow you guys start school early. The county I live in doesn't start until after labor day but one county over where my sister, who is going with us, her daughter starts Aug 11.

Hope you have a great day at the water park!

Glad you were able to get all your FP+ without staying up! :thumbsup2

Wow you guys start school early. The county I live in doesn't start until after labor day but one county over where my sister, who is going with us, her daughter starts Aug 11.

Hope you have a great day at the water park!

Thanks!!

Ughh yes we do start SO early. The kids get out in mid-May, though. Actually, I'm thinking of a late May trip 2015. We REALLY want to stay at the Beach Club and it's ALWAYS booked solid in early October.. and FORGET a discount (won't be possible without a discount). Considering AP's for this purpose. :scratchin

Joining in! We'll be at Disney around the same time although we'll be arriving at MK as you are leaving ;)

I agree about the EPCOT FP+ after maelstrom is no longer up for the October trip - we just picked Mission space & Spaceship Earth to use them but who knows if we'll actually need them.

Good to hear of someone not doing the midnight FP+ rush. For the last part of my trip, I can do my FP+ fairly soon and there is no way I am staying up until midnight to do them when I need my beauty sleep. :rotfl:

For the first part of our trip, it will only be 30 days out so I do not expect much, though we will also be going to MK on a night that will be crowded due to EMH and I'm hoping we can maybe get Wishes FP+ - I actually don't mind where we stand, as long as I have a little space. I have a bit of claustrophobia that pops up at inopportune times. It's better when someone I know is with me, but I still would like a little space.

I'll pick Figment as a filler too! FP+ has really increased lines over there. I actually waited 10 minutes for it on my last trip. Never thought I'd see the day!

Congrats to the new 5th grader!

Joining in! We'll be at Disney around the same time although we'll be arriving at MK as you are leaving ;)

I agree about the EPCOT FP+ after maelstrom is no longer up for the October trip - we just picked Mission space & Spaceship Earth to use them but who knows if we'll actually need them.

Thanks for joining in! :goodvibes I'm a little bummed about Maelstrom! Glad we got to ride it in January. It's not a huge deal, though. I'm just happy the Carousel of Progress refurb will be done by the same we arrive (supposedly). I would be seriously heartbroken! (Okay, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I LOVE IT).

Good to hear of someone not doing the midnight FP+ rush. For the last part of my trip, I can do my FP+ fairly soon and there is no way I am staying up until midnight to do them when I need my beauty sleep. :rotfl:

For the first part of our trip, it will only be 30 days out so I do not expect much, though we will also be going to MK on a night that will be crowded due to EMH and I'm hoping we can maybe get Wishes FP+ - I actually don't mind where we stand, as long as I have a little space. I have a bit of claustrophobia that pops up at inopportune times. It's better when someone I know is with me, but I still would like a little space.

I'll pick Figment as a filler too! FP+ has really increased lines over there. I actually waited 10 minutes for it on my last trip. Never thought I'd see the day!

Congrats to the new 5th grader!

Thanks! I hope he has a good year. 4th grade was a little rough due to various issues so he needs a good year to boost his confidence a bit!

We have done the dessert party twice and while I like the space, the view is just not that same for me. :( I agree that I don't like the close crowds at Wishes, either. The worst is when you think you have a pretty good view and then someone squeezes in at the last minute, usually with a child on their shoulders, lol.

Neat idea about Figment actually being useful! I've never seen it not be an absolute walk-on. Actually, we haven't done it since 2012. DS liked the interactive area at the end so we'll check it out again this trip. :)

Edit to add: Bonus picture of DS playing in the Figment play area in 2012 :)

figment_zps7049079a.jpg

Glad the FP+ worked out for you. I had the same issue with 7DMT, but somehow it all worked out where we can sneak over to the hotel for a nap and come back for the later FP.

I wonder how this now works with FP+ and the parades? We once waited almost two hours for Splash Mountain because the parade let out and they let all the people holding FP's go first. Most of the time they would take a few FP holders and a few in the standby line, but this day they let the long line of FP holders go. It was crazy. We stood in the same spot for probably 20 minutes. And you know, Splash is a people mover.

Epcot wasn't a worry with us, we have done Soarin' way to many times. The hardest problem was what to choose for the 3rd FP, went with the character meet n greet. Something we have never done at Epcot.

Hope DS has a great 5th grade. My son really had it rough in elementary school so I understand.

Enjoy your trip! We'll be there the same(ish) dates, I think - Oct 3-11, just me and my son, who is 8. Maybe the boys could trade SOTMK cards. :-)

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter