• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Can't Take It Any More!!

Of course, we all know it should be:
Woman! Without her, man is nothing.

Here are two quite different possibilities - take your pick :)

woman, without her man, is nothing

woman: without her, man is nothing

And to those of you who don't think these things matter, I direct you to this article about a contract with a comma in the wrong place.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060806.wr-rogers07/BNStory/Business/home

VERY interesting!

It reminds me of a quote in the Bible, Luke 23:43

King James Version states: "Verily, I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise."

This contradicts the Apostles' Creed which says that after the crucifixion, Jesus was in the grave (or "decended to hell", depending on how you want to translate) for three days. How can the criminal to whom Jesus is speaking be with him *today* in paradise?

But, I've read that the original had no punctuation, it was added later upon translation.

So, if it were translated just a tad different, moving the comma one word to the right...

"Verily, I say unto thee today, shalt thou be with me in paradise."

Now, you won't be with me in paradise *today*, rather I am telling you today, you will be with me in paradise (at some unspecified time in the future).

Now, the Apostles' Creed makes sense. All because of one comma.

AND, I'm going to add to the thread another pet-peeve...

IGNORANT does not mean rude or obnoxious or even stupid.

I can't believe this thread is still going. And to think, it all started with the Artic.

Since you have posted most of my peeves, I'll add DH's favorites. He HATES HATES HATES the word anywho!
Some of his relatives use it for conversation filler. Instead of anyhow, or leaving a pause, they'll say "anywho!" :sad2: He cringes everytime!:scared1:

His other is "my bad". He always says "what the heck is that?" "Why can't they just say sorry? or something else?" He thinks "my bad" sounds sooooooo stupid!
So I make sure NEVER to say "my bad" or "anywho" unless I'm trying to annoy him!:headache:

His other is "my bad". He always says "what the heck is that?" "Why can't they just say sorry? or something else?" He thinks "my bad" sounds sooooooo stupid!

I don't mind things like "my bad" since they aren't really grammatical errors but slang. I think most people who say things like that realize this. Then again, maybe I'm just defending my own use of "my bad". :)

I forgot one. I hate it when people confuse the meanings of "jealous" and "envious." Anytime I hear the expression, "Oh, X is just jealous", I want to smash something. The only thing worse than a spoiled brat is a stupid spoiled brat.

Jealous = having something that you do not want anyone else to have.

Envious = coveting what someone else has.

I don't understand the wording. Something someone else has that you want to own and nobody else? Or something you have that you don't want anyone else to have?

I forgot one. I hate it when people confuse the meanings of "jealous" and "envious." Anytime I hear the expression, "Oh, X is just jealous", I want to smash something. The only thing worse than a spoiled brat is a stupid spoiled brat.

I'm confused by what you mean here as well. :confused3

Film.
Not Fil-UM

Hospital.
Not Hostipal

And as a pharmacist, I fill your PREscription.
Not your DEscription.
Not your SUBscription.
Not your INscription.

And I may use GENERIC drugs.
Not GENETIC drugs.
Not GERIATRIC drugs.

And yes, drug names can be hard to pronounce.
But....
It is called ranitidine...rah-nit-eh-deene.
Even Rah-nit-ee-dyne is okay.
But ramitodone?? There's no M or O in the word! Stop adding letters people!

Apothecary, my stepmother refers to the person who fills your prescription as the "pharmist."

I don't mind things like "my bad" since they aren't really grammatical errors but slang. I think most people who say things like that realize this. Then again, maybe I'm just defending my own use of "my bad".

Absolutely! I'm not putting it up here as bad grammar. Maybe I'm in the wrong post. I'm just posting one of DH's pet peeves.
You can say "my bad" around me as much as you want! :goodvibes

I understand this. A jealous wife has a husband she wants nobody else to have.
An envious woman wants the other woman's husband.

I found this on dictionary.com:

Envy and jealousy are very close in meaning. Envy denotes a longing to possess something awarded to or achieved by another: to feel envy when a friend inherits a fortune. Jealousy, on the other hand, denotes a feeling of resentment that another has gained something that one more rightfully deserves: to feel jealousy when a coworker receives a promotion. Jealousy also refers to anguish caused by fear of unfaithfulness.

Lots of "grammatologists" around here!! :rotfl: Disers who are proficient in grammatical accuracy. I do this all the time. No one should ask me to proof read anything, because it will get corrected! Speech problems, I'll help you with that too! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter