• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I can't eat meat that's not WELL DONE...what's wrong with me!?

Luvchefmic said:
Dear OP 1. you are crazy 2. you don't go to one of the most famous steakhouses in the world and ask the chef to lower his/her standards 3. it's all your mothers fault 4. did I say you're crazy

Would love to hear you went to one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants
:rotfl2:

I just can't place the chef's standards above those of the paying client. If they want a steak well done, do it.

The little rolling on the floor laughing guy was added to tell OP I was teasing him

I like my steak rare to medium rare. I can't even eat a burger unless it is just about raw. It is why I only eat a burger at home. Sear each side for a minute or so and that is it. Been eating it this way forever and would not eat a burger at all unless it was cooked this way. That said, I eat about two burgers year. But if not perfectly rare, I wouldn't eat one at all. Have never had a problem.

Luvchefmic said:
Dear OP 1. you are crazy 2. you don't go to one of the most famous steakhouses in the world and ask the chef to lower his/her standards 3. it's all your mothers fault 4. did I say you're crazy

The little rolling on the floor laughing guy was added to tell OP I was teasing him

I know you love me so I take no offense!

Yes, I know to some who have standards of how their food is cooked it seems odd or weird but I'm telling you I just love when the steak is brown and not "soft" when I cut it.

I also like flat iron steaks is that a cheap kind? I've realized that's the kind I like.

Also, I love when my coworker was making fun of me for this then places ketchup on his pizza...to each their own.

Yes, yes I do love you. Now that I've admitted it I hope next time you come down I can talk you into bringing me some bialys and bagels and a bottle of Peter Lugers steak sauce ( I really don't want to have to buy 6 on the website :rolleyes: )

Be careful up there, you're in my thoughts

As long as we can eat a WELL DONE meal together - anything you want ;)

I'll track down a few horse blinders...otherwise....I promise not to comment on your choices if you promise not to comment on mine ....Y U M !!!! :duck:
th

on second thought how do you feel about lobster instead ? :idea:

I know you're being a little silly with this response. I like that. But if a restaurant employee tells me that the chef refuses to prepare something the way I ask for it, I will have words with the chef and they will not be kind. I don't care if it's Masaharu Morimoto.

I just can't place the chef's standards above those of the paying client. If they want a steak well done, do it.

Well said, Madam!! I completely agree.

The reason that chefs don't want to cook steak to well done is that they don't know how. It's the most difficult way to prepare a steak, but if it's done correctly it will result in a tender, juicy steak that has not a sign of pink in the middle. This, I got from a friend who IS a professional chef.

By the way, I've come to prefer my steaks medium.

I know you're being a little silly with this response. I like that. But if a restaurant employee tells me that the chef refuses to prepare something the way I ask for it, I will have words with the chef and they will not be kind. I don't care if it's Masaharu Morimoto.

I agree the chef should cook your steak the way you want it, but if s/he refuses, what else can you do except walk out? Sure, you can yell and cause a scene, but it's obvious they don't care about your business.

About five years a new restaurant opened in town in the spring. DW and I went to try it, and she wanted to substitute rice instead of the pasta listed on the menu for some chicken dish. Rice was available with other menu items. The waitress comes back and says no, the chef won't do it, we're insulting his integrity or culinary skills or some such nonsense. So we walked. The place went out of business before the end of the summer tourist season.

my parents also only did the well done thing when I was a kid, and I hated eating meat because of it. It was not until I discovered medium rare (cue angels singing) that I discovered that I can enjoy an occasional piece of meat;-) My daughter eats it like me (she is 6) and is a meat snob, she loves her filets.

My mouth is watering. That is the way my steak needs to be cooked. Not even pink in the middle, but rare, gently waved over the heat.

I can't even imagine a steak well done, but then I am sure the well done people can't imagine a steak cooked like the above with the center still raw. You can no more convince me that a well done steak is delicious as you can no more convince somebody else that a rare steak is delicious. And I wouldn't even try to convince somebody else that my way the the best way.

Medium well for me. As a side note, every single time I eat a steak with my DH parents, they lecture me about ruining a good steak! This from a couple that will not season any of the food they cook!

I LOVE steak. But it MUST be well done...and I'm talking well beyond what most people want to call well done. I've always been this way and I will not change. I rarely order steak out, but when I do, I ask them to butterfly it and cook it beyond what they think is well done, then let it go a little bit longer. LOL I don't want even a HINT of pink. I will send it back and ask them to burn it if necessary. To me, this is the way it tastes best. I don't want to hear the shoe leather, ruining a steak, blah blah blah. It's not ruined if that's what I prefer.

I LOVE steak. But it MUST be well done...and I'm talking well beyond what most people want to call well done. I've always been this way and I will not change. I rarely order steak out, but when I do, I ask them to butterfly it and cook it beyond what they think is well done, then let it go a little bit longer. LOL I don't want even a HINT of pink. I will send it back and ask them to burn it if necessary. To me, this is the way it tastes best. I don't want to hear the shoe leather, ruining a steak, blah blah blah. It's not ruined if that's what I prefer.

Amen

Sign me up for cow blood!

But seriously, my DH thought he didn't really like steak. Then he started having meals with my family. He realized then that steak wasn't his problem, it was that his family (and thus he) had always charred their steaks to death and he thought that's just how steak was supposed to taste. When he realized pink steak had flavor it opened up a whole new meat world for him.

Federal food safety regulations in Canada dictate that you can't be served a hamburger (or any ground meat) under 160F for fear of e-coli. E-coli is the "new" trichinosis. I'm always taken aback while visiting the States when I'm asked how I want my burger done.

I am a Canadian, and have been asked how I want my burger cooked many times while in Canada, BTW 160F is medium.

Ny steaks have to be well done + 5 minutes - char them up good! I am not gon gto be the one going ot the hospital becuase of food posioning!!!

Not only do I insist on a proper 135 degree medium rare, I only want Choice grade or better.

I love my steak rare and on the one occasion I was at a nice enough steak house to order one "blue" it solidified my love of mooing beef, but I have had well done steaks that were tender and juicy as too. It's all in the cooking.

Many places completely under cook their steaks these days because they feel they can always throw it back on there. Pink in the middle is medium, even medium rare. There should be NO PINK past medium. So, if you're asking for well done & getting pink in the middle, it's not cooked properly. And I don't blame you for expecting it to be more completely cooked.

Incidentally, I used to order steaks medium rare 30 years ago. Today, I ask for medium well. I still like my steaks the same way (pink, not red), but in order to get medium rare, I have to ASK for medium well these days :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter