• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"I can't believe we're staying here!" An Feb'16 DLR PTR (TR link Post #355)

Just checking in. I am so swamped and wanted to just let you know I am still reading along. Hopefully crazy life will calm down soon!

Glad to see you are still here! Sorry life is so crazy. Ours is too...I threw my back out a month ago and while it has gradually improved this is also the busiest time of year with school winding down and DDs birthday and DW and my anniversary. Plus we are having Pergo flooring put into the ENTIRE 1st floor of our house (LR, DR, Kitchen, 1/2 bath, Laundryroom and halls) so the house is completely TORN apart. Just last night we were talking about that and I said to DW "Oh wait, our anniversary is this Friday, isn't it?" I am so totally unprepared.

You have some great 'water-based' plans in place for the August heat!

I will say, the temps were SO hot for us in May that I was SO grateful it was just a me & Becca trip during a weekend with long park hours.. it allowed us (her, I don't sleep in regardless of when I go to bed) to sleep in.. hit the parks later with FP.. take longer 'air conditioned' lunch/dinners.. and then hit the park hard when the crowds died down and the sun went bye-bye. This trip would have been BAD had it been a family trip and we were not able to do that........ so I think your water-breaks will be perfect timing!!

Also, may I mentioned, I can't believe your DW put that hat on her head! LICE! Ahhh!!! :rotfl: ( I know she shares my fears! She told me!)

We've done two hot weather trips (2008 and 2009), and I was surprised how it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be (though pretty awful). I personally found the evenings to be terrible too, because while it was slightly cooler it was still terribly oppressive. I found the only time that was at all bearable to be trudging around the parks was in the mornings. Since then we've only gone in April, or October-December. Unfortunately with DD now entering 7th grade I think a few more late-august trips will be in store for us in the next half dozen years.

In the past - DD never did well with staying up late. If we got her out past 8 PM on most nights that was a good night. (You remember when we met your family and at 9 PM she had had enough even though she was playing with the kids.) Of course, she's now 12 and much more interested in staying up, so I'm hoping we can get a little more out of her in the evening, but she tends to be up early - even on the weekends. If we get her to sleep in past 8 AM that's pretty good. I definitely picture LONG mid-day breaks (from 1 PM to 5 or 6 PM). I also think you need a great deal of flexibility. You never know when a downpour lasting between 20 minutes and 4 days will start up. A hurricane will throw an even bigger wrench in the plans.

One of the greatest things I find about being a frequent Disney visitor is you get to a point where you just don't sweat it if you miss stuff. It probably took us 6-7 trips to get to that point, but even though we only went once (as a family) in the last 3 years, I feel like there is little pressure to get it all done. (It helps to have additional trips in the queue.) Between the length of this trip and that ability to feel we don't need to catch everything this trip, I feel like we just don't need to be on a fast pace.

One of the greatest things I find about being a frequent Disney visitor is you get to a point where you just don't sweat it if you miss stuff.

Totally agree and the reason I am not planning a "commando" august vacation! I'll be back!

Woohoo! Double digits! I love that you're planning so much time at the water parks. That will be so fun! Glad too that your friends followed your advice and you'll get to hang out for a bit.

I love that pic of your DW in that yetti hat! I can just imagine how fun your family is! :D.

Our school schedule is funky this year too... except we start the Wednesday BEFORE Labor Day (which we NEVER do) then have a 4 day weekend... its really going to be a broken up schedule for the first week of school

We missed DAK this last trip, too. In fact, I have only been there once. I really did love it. I am a huge animal nut, as is Tim. But, for some reason, it always ends up last on the list and getting pushed off. Probably will be the same this fall, especially since it will be a short trip. It's too bad, really.

I am so proud of your spontaneity!!! I am telling you, a little of that can go a long way! I hope it works out well for you!

I love that pic of your DW in that yetti hat! I can just imagine how fun your family is! :D.

Not sure we're half as fun as we look!

Our school schedule is funky this year too... except we start the Wednesday BEFORE Labor Day (which we NEVER do) then have a 4 day weekend... its really going to be a broken up schedule for the first week of school

I've known other schools in our area that have pulled that move. I think it sucks. You send the kids back for 2 days then a long weekend? I actually am mostly happy that they are going back on the Tuesday after labor day. Flying back on Monday - I really had no idea what we were going to do on Tuesday with DD if we'd been off from school. I was thinking I'd have to take a vacation day. As it is, we have a 4-day weekend for labor day, and our 11-day vacation only requires me to take 5 days off from work! So a 6th day wouldn't have killed me.

We missed DAK this last trip, too. In fact, I have only been there once. I really did love it. I am a huge animal nut, as is Tim. But, for some reason, it always ends up last on the list and getting pushed off. Probably will be the same this fall, especially since it will be a short trip. It's too bad, really.

I am so proud of your spontaneity!!! I am telling you, a little of that can go a long way! I hope it works out well for you!

I am great at spontaneity as long as I can have it all planned out ahead of time!!! :teeth:

You do realize DAK is the 2nd best alcohol park behind Epcot. Some really fine beers as well as wines and mixed drinks throughout the park!

Seriously though - I wouldn't want to go many trips without DAK. I think in terms of the level of quality overall it has more to offer than DHS or Epcot. (The Top stuff at DHS and Epcot beats DAK - but after the 4 or so top things at each of those parks - there's a steep drop off. There's not a thing at DAK that isn't high quality - well maybe Chester and Hester's...)

Geez - I have been so busy lately I've been unable to update. I really wanted to finish the last few days of our plans before we got to the 60 day/FP+ mark, which is coming round the corner on 6/29. (Though I may not be able to book until 6/30 due to us being in Canada on 6/29.)

Anyways - I am going to forgo the pictures for the last two days in order to move it along.

Day 10 - Sunday (9/6) The trip is starting to wrap up here.

We have really only one thing planned: Breakfast at 'Ohana. Now that we no longer go using free dining, we have cut back severely on character meals - but we told DD that we could splurge and pick one. She was originally leaning towards the Garden Grille which is her favorite, but I told her about Ohana and Lilo and Stich being there. Even though she is too old for characters, she was very excited about the idea of doing this one. Since we will be at the resort, an early breakfast seems very doable.

After breakfast we will head for our second MK rope drop in three days. We'll also have some FP+ for later in the morning, but this is where the plan ends.

My intention is to make this a "make-up" day. In other words, if there is anything that we don't feel we got to see at any of the other parks, this is the day to do it. Didn't get to see the Great Movie ride? Let's head to DHS... Need one more loop around Test Track? Let's go. We MIGHT even switch over our FP+ to a different park at some point earlier in the trip. (This is the great flexibility that I like for the FP+.) Pretty much whatever we want to do we can do. Maybe we spend a lot of the day by the pool, that's possible too! Maybe we water water park donuts...we have enough passes for that as well! It's basically "anything goes" day, which as you can probably tell is NOT a normal approach for me, but we will be up for it.

The evening I would very much like to be back with the possiblity of going back into MK, or instead maybe just watching the fireworks from the beach. That would be OK too...beacuse...

Day 11: Departure day :sad:

Yes - but even on departure day we still have some park time! In fact, our flight doesn't leave until 7:45 PM. This means we have from 9 AM until about 4 PM that we could spend in the parks - and in this case I think we will focus on MK. Again, I suspect we will go for rope drop. I think we will head back to the hotel in time to check out of the room, at which point we will check our bags for the flight and store the rest of them. We do have a 12:15 PM lunch at Tony's, so perhaps we will switch it up and sleep in a bit, and then mosey over to the park after we check out. I expect at least a little pool time in there as well (maybe more than a little).

A late flight back to Buffalo gets us in at 10:20 PM. I am guessing that DD may konk out on the plane after a fun and exciting week, because when we get home, she will have about 8 hrs to be up and ready to go to the first day of 7th grade. (Yeah, I know, but we were expecting to have one day off before school starts...the problem with planning a trip so far in advance.) Everyone will be very happy to be home...for about a week. Then we'll wish we were heading back to Disney.
:woohoo:

Your plans look great! Your trip and all your plans are really making me want to plan another trip, and a longer one at that!

Your plans look great! Your trip and all your plans are really making me want to plan another trip, and a longer one at that!

Does it really take someone else's trip to make any us want to plan another??

That's going to be a tough transition! At least she'll have lots of stories to tell on her first day back!

I know. I wish I had known they were going to start school on Tuesday instead of Wednesday - It's been Wednesday the last 7 years - I would've had us return on Sunday instead of Monday in that case, even though it would've meant a shorter trip. What's done is done, it would cost us an extra $300 to change our flights at this stage, and I'm not paying MORE money for LESS vacation. (plus then we would only have 3 nights at the Poly - not gonna happen.)

We usually plan for the last day as a make up day as well. It works out pretty good because by then you're often ready for some real spontaneity.

That's going to be quite a transition going right back to school, she'll be tired, but kids are resilient . She'll cope.

SO - we are actually approaching the FIFTY day mark, and FP+ bookings went up last week. It seems like this happens a lot, but I was in a hotel in Canada on-line booking my FP+. I haven't had a chance to post until now.

Day 1 - Water park - hang with friends. No FP+

Day 2 Saturday - August 29th
Hollywood Studios 8 AM EMH to 1 PM
Beauty & The Beast show 11:45 AM
Indiana Jones Stunt Show 12:30 PM

Epcot 5:00 PM 9:00 PM
Test Track 4:45 PM 5:45 PM
Mission: Space 5:50 PM 6:50 PM
San Angel Inn 6:30 PM
Spaceship Earth 8:00 PM 9:00 PM

Day is split between two parks. The B&TB and IJ shows aren't FP+, just because of our limited time in the park, these are the main shows we want to see, and the only times we can find to see them. With the closure of the Animation Academy, we are actually questioning whether we can fill the time from 8 AM to 11:45 AM in the park. DHS is such a mess.

This should allow us to be back at the hotel by 1:30 PM or so, giving us about 3.5 hour afternoon break. We just need to be to TT before 5:45 PM.

Day 3 - Sunday - August 30th (No FP+)
Water Park
Night Out
Sandcastle Club (4 hours) 6:00 PM
Yatchsman Steakhouse 6:20 PM
Jellyrolls' 8:00 PM 9:30 PM

Day 4 - Monday - August 31st
Epcot
Everyday Chemistry 8:30 AM
Soarin 11:50 AM 12:50 PM
The Seas w/ Nemo 12:55 PM 1:55 PM
Character Spot 2:20 PM 3:20 PM
Via Napoli 8:00 PM
So - in the park until about 2:30 PM, then back to the hotel. Evening in WS.

Day 5 - Tuesday - September 1st
Animal Kingdom
Expedition Everest 9:30 AM 10:30 AM
Finding Nemo 10:30 AM 10:50 AM
Dinosaur 11:40 AM 12:40 AM
Lunch Noon
Animal Behaviour 1:00 PM 4:00 PM
Evening we will likely go into Epcot for dinner.

Day 6 - Wednesday - September 2nd
Epcot AM
Beaches & Cream 4:40 PM
Hollywood Studios PM
Frozen Singalong 6:05 PM 6:20 PM
Toy Story Mania 7:10 PM 8:10 PM
Star Tours 8:10 PM 9:10 PM
Fireworks 9:30 PM

Day 7 - Thursday - No FP+
Check out of Beach Club
Typhoon Lagoon 10:00 AM 2:00 PM
DisneyQuest 2:00 PM 5:00 PM
Check in To Polyneisian 5:00 PM
Fireworks on the beach??

Day 8 - Friday - September 4th
Magic Kingdom
Peter Pan's Flight 10:45 AM 11:45 AM
7 Dwarves Mine Train 11:50 AM 12:50 PM
Be Our Guest 12:30 PM
Splash Mountain 1:00 PM 2:00 PM
After Splash Mountain, return to the Poly. Return to MK park in the evening is likely.

Day 9 - Saturday - September 5th
Animal Kingdom AM
Flights of Wonder 10:45 AM
Festival of the Lion King 11:30 AM 11:50 AM
Expedition Everest 12:30 PM 1:30 PM
Kali River Rapids 1:30 PM 2:30 PM
Blizzard Beach 3:00 PM 6:00 PM
Again, do KRR right before leaving park for BB.

Day 10 - Sunday - September 6th
Ohana 7:30 AM
Magic Kingdom AM
Space Mountain 10:05 AM 11:05 AM
Meet Mickey (Town Square) 11:10 AM 12:10 AM
Haunted Mansion 1:05 PM 2:05 PM
This is most up in the air day. I could see this changing even the day before. However, I think the day will likely start in MK, but it might not finish there. Space Mountain will allow DW and I to switch off if DD won't do it. (She says she won't.) Want to see talking Mickey. Lunch at CHH and then another HM ride before heading out to who-knows where.

Day 11 - Friday - September 7th
Magic Kingdom
7 Dwarves Mine Train 10:50 AM 11:50 PM
Tony's Town Square 12:15 AM
Jungle Cruise 1:35 PM 2:35 PM
Festival Of Fantasy 2:45 PM 3:05 PM
Magical Express 4:35 PM?
I couldn't completely decide. I want to see FoF parade, and we have a lunch ADR, so I thought we would actually spend the morning packing up, and then hit the park a little later. Asked DD what she wanted to do for the last ride - and said "Jungle Cruise". Got the extra 7DMT in case we want to ride again, figure easier to switch away than switch to it. May just have time to squeeze a quick dip in before flying home.

Lastly, there's BIG news coming about another trip. Nope, not another WDW trip. Something else. I should be posting about it next week (hopefully).

We have only a little overlap! We will be at Epcot the 31st and MK the 4th.... in fact our lunch reservation at BOG is at 1210! See you there!

We have only a little overlap! We will be at Epcot the 31st and MK the 4th.... in fact our lunch reservation at BOG is at 1210! See you there!

I was thinking we'd see more of you by the pool than in the parks anyways. My guess is 3 year olds are going to want to see different things in the parks than a 12 year old!!!

However, we'll try and catch you at BOG.

Entirely accurate. Weird to be in the place at the same time though.

One of our early trips we kept running into the same family every day. It was really rather funny. "Hey, good to see you!" We just happened to have about 3 days in a row planned very similar. Generally I think it's actually rarer to have plans overlap without doing it intentionally. In our case, we are (mostly) at the same resorts at the same time, so some overlap would be expected I would think.

Great Plans! :thumbsup2

Your trip is so close!!!!

Our 50 day countdown calendar kicks in tomorrow! (Copy attached!) I keep hating the idea of "wishing away the summer", but it's hard not to think ahead!

Excellent FP+. Looks like you have it all mapped out!

News of more vacay??? popcorn::

2016 Plans a-coming!

Attachments

• 2015 countdown calander.pdf
    336.2 KB · Views: 5
You were able to get some great FP+ options! Hopefully we have as much luck for October since we only get to book them 30 days out.

I'm excited to see what your big plans are!! Maybe an ABD?? :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter