From Cast Member to Annual Passholder! Updated 03/14/16

I just found this thread and I am really looking forward to reading about your journey working for Disney! If I am every down there while you are working I will definitely stop in and say hi! :)

That sounds like a really long week! Congrats on earning your ears! Can't wait to hear how you like Jellyrolls!
It was a long week! But I am thoroughly enjoying my days off to get ready for another week!
Can't wait for the pics!
:thumbsup2
Hi Robin, thank you for letting me be your FB "friend" :goodvibes DH and I definitely want to come say hello when we're down there in.........10 days!!:dancer:So I'll message you when it's closer and see what your schedule is.
I do know being a Barista is hard work! I've mentioned before DH is a DM for Starbucks; my stepsons GF is also a Starbucks Barista. While her store cannot be nearly as busy as yours, it's right off a major highway that leads to NYC so it gets crazy. Definitely harder than people think, and many who start training don't last! So a big congrats againpixiedust:

Very interested to hear about Jellyrolls as we've never been but plan to go when we're down there:thumbsup2

Oh of course Ariane! 9 days away is so exciting!!! Definitely message me!

Thanks for the congrats!!!

I would HIGHLY recommend Jelly Rolls! I already want to go back!!

I just started reading about your experiences in the CP. That was a really long week. I'm in retail and a five day 40 hr. week is about all I can handle. Your job sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read more.
Liz

I am a full-time cast member, not in the CP :goodvibes But it is a long week!

I just found this thread and I am really looking forward to reading about your journey working for Disney! If I am every down there while you are working I will definitely stop in and say hi! :)

Glad to have you here!

Monday: Magic Kingdom and Jelly Rolls!

Today was such a great day! I decided to go to Magic Kingdom to meet up with some new friends who are participating in the DCP. I am so glad that went because I left the day with some amazing new friends! We wandered around Magic Kingdom and went on The Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain, The People Mover, and we did a little Cupid Shuffling at the dance party!!

After a few of our friends left me and Sonya ended up going on The Carousel of Progress and The Haunted Mansion. We decided after that to head back to the CP apartments and pick up her friend Joe to grab Applebee's before Jellyrolls.

We all had the most amazing time, our waiter at Applebee's gave me a free shot and told me a have a beautiful smile (awesome!!). Then we went to Jellyrolls and it was AMAZING! The energy in the room was perfect and the piano players were just so incredible. If you wanted to request a song for them to play all you have to do was write on it on a napkin and set it on their piano (with a tip helps!). I can't wait to go back again soon!

Tuesday: Animal Kingdom

I decided today that I would go to Animal Kingdom for a couple of hours and come home and relax before my 11 hour shift tomorrow. I rode Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur, and did the Pangani Forest Trail!

That Jellyrolls place sounds great - I have been to a few of those Duelling Pianos shows and they are a lot of fun. Are you going to try to taste every food at Epcot while you are there? I think if I were there for as long as you I would make that a mission lol

Can I get a bit more information on Jelly Rolls? Sounds fantastic. I must say being able to "pop into" a disney park on your day off for a few hours is my dream.

Just found this, really enjoying reading along. What a fantastic life you have!

Can't wait to read more :)
Glad to have you here!

That Jellyrolls place sounds great - I have been to a few of those Duelling Pianos shows and they are a lot of fun. Are you going to try to taste every food at Epcot while you are there? I think if I were there for as long as you I would make that a mission lol
I definitely want to try as many foods as I possibly can!!

Can I get a bit more information on Jelly Rolls? Sounds fantastic. I must say being able to "pop into" a disney park on your day off for a few hours is my dream.

Basically there is a 13$ cover (since I am a cast member I get free admission) and drinks are usually around the same price as what you would expect Disney to charge (ie. 6.75 for a Bud Light). If you want to request a song for the two piano players to sing, you write the name of the song on the napkin and if you are celebrating an anniversary, birthday, etc. and leave a tip with it on the piano so they sing your song! It is open from 9pm-2am and it's a lot of fun! If you have any other questions let me know!

We've spent a bit of time at Jellyroll's. One of my favorite parts of WDW now that Pleasure Island is closed. My observation is they get about 4 requests for every one song they play. While some are probably repeats, they can't possibly play all the requests. These guys know an incredible variety of songs, playing everything from Frank Sinatra to Meghan Traynor (yup they did "All About the Bass" when we were there last) but in general they do not want to repeat the same song on the same night. However, what determines whether your request gets played is the power of the tip. It once was explained to me how it all works, I don't remember exactly, but it's something like this:

Assuming your request hasn't already been played before you got there:
No tip - They'll get to it when they get to it. (probably never unless the crowds real low)
$1-$2 - They'll try and fit it in, but you might still not get it.
$5 - You'll likely hear it before the nights out, but it might be a while.
$10 - You'll almost definitely will hear it within the current or next set (depending on who knows it)
$20 - They HAVE to play it. If they can't play it, they'll learn it...if they can't learn it or if they've already played it earlier in the night, they'll track down the person and allow them to choose an alternate song.

I put $10 up for Bohemian Rhapsody last trip and they played it within 30 minutes. The person at the table next to me bi***ed long and hard that they never played her request (Steve Miller), but she didn't put up any money. They did eventually play a Steve Miller song, but it was several hours after her request.

Sounds exactly like Duelling Pianos in Vegas - so much fun! One time someone requested Barbie Girl and it was hilarious to see these older guys sing it...and they actually did a decent job lol. I bet it is even more fun at Disney though :))

I just caught up and am subbing to your TR. What a wonderful experience you are having, I'm very happy for you! :flower:

I loved seeing all the different resorts you visited, and now the parks and different restaurants - so fun!

I have the same Minnie sequin mouse ears, aren't they divine? :earsgirl:

Can't wait to read more!

We've spent a bit of time at Jellyroll's. One of my favorite parts of WDW now that Pleasure Island is closed. My observation is they get about 4 requests for every one song they play. While some are probably repeats, they can't possibly play all the requests. These guys know an incredible variety of songs, playing everything from Frank Sinatra to Meghan Traynor (yup they did "All About the Bass" when we were there last) but in general they do not want to repeat the same song on the same night. However, what determines whether your request gets played is the power of the tip. It once was explained to me how it all works, I don't remember exactly, but it's something like this:

Assuming your request hasn't already been played before you got there:
No tip - They'll get to it when they get to it. (probably never unless the crowds real low)
$1-$2 - They'll try and fit it in, but you might still not get it.
$5 - You'll likely hear it before the nights out, but it might be a while.
$10 - You'll almost definitely will hear it within the current or next set (depending on who knows it)
$20 - They HAVE to play it. If they can't play it, they'll learn it...if they can't learn it or if they've already played it earlier in the night, they'll track down the person and allow them to choose an alternate song.

I put $10 up for Bohemian Rhapsody last trip and they played it within 30 minutes. The person at the table next to me bi***ed long and hard that they never played her request (Steve Miller), but she didn't put up any money. They did eventually play a Steve Miller song, but it was several hours after her request.

Thanks for all of the information! You are exactly right!
Sounds exactly like Duelling Pianos in Vegas - so much fun! One time someone requested Barbie Girl and it was hilarious to see these older guys sing it...and they actually did a decent job lol. I bet it is even more fun at Disney though :))

:thumbsup2

I just caught up and am subbing to your TR. What a wonderful experience you are having, I'm very happy for you! :flower:

I loved seeing all the different resorts you visited, and now the parks and different restaurants - so fun!

I have the same Minnie sequin mouse ears, aren't they divine? :earsgirl:

Can't wait to read more!

Glad to have you here! And I love my minnie mouse ears!!!!

February 25th-March 5th

Sorry for the delay in the posting! As you can all imagine it's a pretty busy life I lead, but thank you for bearing with me :) Finally have an update to share with you all!

My work schedule:
2/25: 9:45am-9:00pm
2/26: 11:45-6:00pm
2/27:9:00am-3:30pm (Went to Jelly Rolls again that night)
Since I was in before the park opened I was able to snag this picture!

2/28: 9:45-7:00pm
3/1: 12:00-6:00pm
3/2 12:00-6:00pm (Was my day off but I picked up a shift at The World of Disney Store at DTD which just filled my heart with so much joy because that was my home location during my CP back in 2011! It just brought back so many memories and I didn't realize how much I missed it!) I met with Sonya after work and we went to Applebee's with her friend Krysten and we all headed to Jellyrolls AGAIN! Hey it's free to get in for us!!!)

3/3 DAY OFF!!! Hollywood Studios, Downtown Disney, and.... you guessed it... The Atlantic Dance Company

Since I finally got my maingates!

Sonya and I decided to go to Hollywood Studios today because I desperately wanted to see the Frozen Sing-A-Long show. It was amazing! I loved singing along to all of the songs as loud as I possibly could! I just felt over the moon with happiness!

Afterwards we caught the Mulch, Sweat, and Shears show which was really fun!

Some pictures from the Streets of America:

We then decided to go over to ride The Great Movie Ride! Of course I had to find the Michael Jackson square. I had Sonya take my picture and it reminded me that I had taken a picture at the same exact spot at the very beginning of my weight loss journey so I was inspired to find it!

I have lost 35 pounds since October 2014 and I am so proud of myself and my progress!

After DHS we headed to Downtown Disney to listen to some live music for awhile while enjoying a Starbucks. We had parked at the Boardwalk so naturally when we went back we were compelled to go to the Atlantic Dance Company and it was such a blast! Apparently there was a convention going on and a lot of the people were giving away their complimentary drink cards to us so it was just our lucky night!! They played a bunch of Michael Jackson songs for me and I was in heaven! Such a fun night!

3/4: Work from 9:00am-3:00pm

Today 3/5: Work from 4:00pm-10:00pm When I got in I picked up Cold Bar for about 1.5 hours, then I moved to Store Support until my break. After break I was put on Hot Bar for about half an hour, and moved back over to Cold bar until the store closed at 9:00pm. My coworker helped me close Cold Bar and we were out by 10:00pm we did a great job getting out on time!

Last edited:
Congrats on your weight loss and wellness journey! I'm also on a wellness journey to lose weight and feel better for my DLR trip in June (along with a convention in Anaheim) and my WDW trip for my 40th birthday in September. Great motivation! :flower:

Thanks for posting about your journey, as someone who would love to be a cast member (though it's going to be difficult from the other side of the world!) I'm really enjoying reading these posts!

Wow, you've been busy! Congrats on your weight loss. It must be really tough to be disciplined and keep to it around all the delicious Disney food!! I guess moderation is the key as always :)

I've just caught up on your new adventure, how fun, moving to Florida and starting a permanent job with Disney :) Sounds like you're having a great time so far and look forward to continuing following along on your adventure

Wow such a busy schedule, but at least you enjoy it and you get to have a ton of fun on you days off. Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm working on that now too and I know how hard it is but you did a great job!

Yay!!!! Love your updates! Congrats on the weight loss! I love reading about all the fun you are having!

Just found you TR! Thanks for including me on your journey! Congrats on the weight loss!

Since you're trained for Starbucks @ Epcot, can you also work at the other disney Starbucks locations?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter