I bought the Dave Ramsay Book today

Dax

Emma and Christopher's Mommy - Best job ever
I have been listening to his show for the last 3 weeks, and I am motivated..so today I bought the book, and we plan to start May1...CANT WAIT

Good for you! My husband and I just started his plan and LOVE it!

Btw, glad to see a fellow DS9 fan here. =)

Just started his plan about a month ago. My only regret is I didn't read this book years ago!

I read the book & even went through FPU... twice! :)

He's great & I LOVE FPU- it goes even more in detail with insurance, savings specifics, etc.

We started the envelope thing last month. And guess what??? We actually have MONEY left at the end of the month-- lots of it!!! :cool1: --Katie

I found out about Dave on these boards. My husband is a fanatic about money so we had Baby Steps 1,2,and 3 ... however ... we have read his book and are really on board for steps 4,5,6. Can't wait to be on step 7!

Anyway, you may want to try the "Live Like No One Else" board. It works just like this board and has a lot of brilliant people ... and lots of encouragement. Just google it ...

Congrats on your quest to "Live Like No One Else"!

Good for you. Dave Ramsey has a good old-fashioned plan for getting out of debt.....simply living on less than you earn and using the excess to pay down debt. His material is very motivating for people followiing his plan.

I will say though, that once you are out of debt you would do well to not follow most of his investing advice.

Best of luck!

Does this really work? We are slowly but surely crawling our way out of debt.
I always feel like I am thinking about money, if i have $20 left over from food shopping what would be the best way to invest it, KWIM. I am always thinking before I am spending, I wish I lived a life where I didn't have to do that :lmao:

Best of Luck!! It's so fun to be in control!

We started in fall of '05 and haven't looked back.....

baby step 7 Woo Hoo.

It feels good!

You can do it!

:dance3:

Love this program. It has really changed my life. I don't like shopping anymore and this week I will finally be debt free!!!!!! My next two vacations are going to be paid in cash too.:banana:

Love this program. It has really changed my life. I don't like shopping anymore and this week I will finally be debt free!!!!!! My next two vacations are going to be paid in cash too.:banana:

:woohoo::flower3: congrats!

Does this really work? We are slowly but surely crawling our way out of debt.
I always feel like I am thinking about money, if i have $20 left over from food shopping what would be the best way to invest it, KWIM. I am always thinking before I am spending, I wish I lived a life where I didn't have to do that :lmao:

Assuming you have debt, DR would suggest that you put that $20 towards your lowest balance debt.

I've been doing a modified DR for over 5 years. When I was working towards paying off debt I would create my budget and allocate my funds, then any left over money was sent to pay the debt. Some weeks it was a $100, other weeks it was $10. I made my extra payments whenever I had the extra money, so I sometimes made 2 or 3 additional payments per month on top of our required monthly payment. I figured that if it sat in my checking account too long, I would just spend it on something I didn't need. And, I'd be paying more interest than I needed to pay.

Haven't bought the book but it sounds like a great resource! Currently working to be debt free. Only have 1 credit card to go and expect to be done by July.:yay:

can someone post a link on the thread live like no one else... I am not doing something right... I can't find it!:confused3

Congrats!! LOVE Dave Ramsey!! We started FPU around February 1 of this year. Before, we were living paycheck to paycheck, had no idea where our money was going, were behind on bills, but yet we make really decent money. :confused3 Before, even if we did get a "raise" (sometimes DH works a different shift that gets him an extra 10-20% for 6 months), we still were broke all the time. :confused: HUGE difference now! Everything is paid ON TIME, no worries about having the money, throwing our debt snowball to get that knocked out hopefully in the next 18-24 months. We actually feel like we have more money than ever before, when really it's the same... :confused3 Amazing what happens when you start telling your money what to do. :thumbsup2 AND... it feels good knowing we have a PLAN, working all the baby steps. We've been panicking a little lately cuz I'm almost 41 and DH is 36 and we don't own a house, had no savings and no retirement. It's not gonna be easy, but at least now we have a plan for all of that and know we can do it. :yay:

can someone post a link on the thread live like no one else... I am not doing something right... I can't find it!:confused3

www.llnoe.com

It really does work. Has for us! Went through a scary time a year ago, made us realize how on edge we were. Had debt, but we were spending money on Disney vacations...now we put most towards debt (car and DVC, which we bought into just before our scary time started) and we'll have 14 months since our last Disneyland vacay until our first WDW vacay, which, if you have every checked out my trip report link, is a HUGE change.

Paid more than 6k towards our car just since August. Considering we hadnt even put 6K towards the car in the previous TWO YEARS we had the loan, that's astonishing.

It wouldn't help someone like my brother, who is practically perfect in every way, for whom finances are a breeze and he doesn't need help...but for someone like me, the plan works very well. I'm glad I finally woke up and paid attention!

Which book has the info about the envelope system in it?

Probably Total Money Makeover. But for me, llnoe.com was a MUCH better way to get the information. That and scouring daveramse.com (I think that's the one) for all the free info I could find. You can also read some of his own message board without a fee, though you cannot *answer* anything unless you're a paid member.

llnoe.com has been absolutely brilliant for us. Very helpful. And totally free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter