I bought a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN! Help

Southern4sure

<font color=darkorchid><marquee behavior=alternate
I'm so excited. :goodvibes I read the instructions but I would like more input please. What kind of chocolate have you used and was it chips or bars? Instructions say melt chocolate and mix with vegetable oil but Im thinking of using coconut oil instead. Anyone use coconut oil?

Please give me your do's and dont's. I plan on using the fountain tonight with a bunch of ladies so I want to know what to expect.

Thanks!

We just use Hershey bars in ours. I mix about 2/3 milk chocolate and 1/3 dark chocolate. The vegetable oil dilutes the flavor of the chocolate so if you use all milk it doesn't taste as good (to us anyway). I don't know about using coconut oil. I think it would work the same for the fountain, so maybe melt a little chocolate with it and see how it is taste wise. It may not be a neutral enough flavor (although it is awesome for frying :)). I also use a little less oil than called for. It is mostly a trial and error process to see how much you can leave out.

We love ours, it is a lot of fun! FWIW, sugar wafer cookies are our most popular dipper. Don't use raisins. We like banana, pineapple, strawberries, marshmallows, and nutter butters.

I used the discs you can get linens and things or a craft store, I think I used 4 bags, or 4 lbs worth. You can get better quality chocolate at a chocolate supply or cake supply store. I melted them in the microwave w/1 cup of vegetable oil. The two times I used my fountain, I didn't have great success - don't know if it was the fountain itself or what. I do know that it has to be completly level or it will not flow correctly - made that mistake once. Even though it didn't look so great, all my guests didn't care and still loved it! I put a platter w/pineapple, pound cake, pretzels, marshmallows, biscotti and rice krispie treats out for them to dip. Have fun!

We used one over the holidays. It was fun. Since my DFI makes custom chocolates she used that chocolate. It's got more oil in it than regular chocolate which makes it easier to work with in the molds. We used the recommended amount of oil and we thought it was a little runny. The banana slices were YUMMMY!!!

I would recommend using regular chocolate (pieces or chipped)and melt them in the microwave first and use the recommended amount of oil.

I's say that coconut oil should work and might add a nice flavor to it.

I get the big blocks of chocolate from Trader Joes. I have a large fountain and use about 6 blocks and a 3 lb. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Instead of oil I use 1 3/4 pounds of unsalted butter. I just put the whole thing in the microwave and then pour it into the fountain. I have found when I use the oil the chocolate doesn't stick as well to the fruit.

We've come up with all sorts of things to dip - we've used strawberries, pineapples, brownies, marshmallows, Nutter Butter cookies, Oreo cookies, rice krispie treats, pretzels, orange slices and mini cream puffs. and graham crackers.

I'm having a dinner party for Valentine's Day and I found the big bricks of red chocolate at a local candy store -- I'm doing a red and white theme and the red chocolate will be perfect!

Have fun with your fountain. We love ours, and have used it for entertaining several times - its always a big hit. :goodvibes

We love ours as well! One mistake I made (I guess I was too excited)...I didn't heat it up long enough before putting the melted chocolate in.

mmmmm...perhaps I'll take it out tonight!:woohoo:

Here you go, I'm making them Tuesday night!

INGREDIENTS
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
Melt peanut butter and butter in saucepan, over low heat. In large bowl, mix crispy rice cereal and confectioners' sugar well. Pour melted peanut butter and butter over cereal and sugar and blend together thoroughly.
Form into 1 inch or smaller balls, spread on cookie sheets, chill till firm in refrigerator (over night is okay).

I use Guittard chocolate disks from the candy store -- expensive but well worth it - WONDERFUL chocolate!

I melt it in the microwave and pour it in the fountain - it needs no other ingredient iwth it.

Liz

I use Guittard chocolate disks from the candy store -- expensive but well worth it - WONDERFUL chocolate!

I melt it in the microwave and pour it in the fountain - it needs no other ingredient iwth it.

Liz

I love Guittard chocolate. I can get Guittard chocolate chips at Target here and that's what I use.

I buy fountain chips for it. You do not need to add oil when you use them which is good since adding oil to chocolate just doesn't seem right. They are not the fake chocolate discs that you use to make the fake "homemade" type chocolate that they use to make pops and molded things at home but it is a special chocolate made just for the chocolate fountains. It goes for about 5.00 a pound at the chocolate store.

My neighbors had one right after Christmas. They bought big blocks, but it wasn't enough, so they used chocolate chips, too. I don't know what kind of oil they put in it. We dipped marshmellows, bananas, graham crackers, preztels, and I think strawberies and coconuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter