• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am wrong?

Charleston Zurg

Mouseketeer
For the past two years we take the kids to ATL to watch a Braves game. We usually catch two or three a year. So when the schedule came out we picked three games that we would go to. We live about six hours away so when we go we make a weekend out of it.

One of the weekends that we picked is June 18th -20th. Wife gave me to OK, so I booked the hotel room. This past Wed my wife's BF called and wanted the two of them to go on a 4-day cruise over the same weekend that we had planned to go ATL. I said that is OK, if you want to go on the cruise that is fine with me. So last night she asked if I had cancelled the hotel room yet. I told her that I did not plan to cancel that I would just take the kids and go. She did not like the answer, and got very upset that I was still going.

I usually keep stuff like this "in-house" but I figure that no one here knows who I am. So please give me your honest opinion. I am wrong? Should I not go to ATL with the kids while she is on the cruise?

Thanks for your honest opinion. I figure that sometime a person can be so bullheaded that they can't see the forrest for the trees, and maybe I am wrong.

I think your wife is wrong. It's Father's Day weekend and she is going to be away. It's a fun way for you and the kids to celebrate.

Did you ask her why she thought you should cancel the hotel? I think it would allow the kids (and you) to have a fun weekend and not miss mom too much. Maybe she is jealous that the three of you will be having fun without her though.

I don't think you're wrong. I think it would be awesome if my DH took the kids on a weekend trip while I was away with girls.

Personally, I would have no problem with my dh and the kids doing something fun while I was away. Truthfully, I can't imagine why it would upset her. Perhaps she was still hoping to go, but just on a different weekend. I think you should ask her.

Well, if I was in your wifes position I would absolutely expect you to go ATL with the kids for the weekend. I would not expect, nor would I want, my dh and kids to give up the weekend because I backed out to do something else. I'm sure she wants to be part of the "family fun," but I don't think she should make everyone change/cancel plans because another opportunity came up for her.

However, I would not want to make a big feud over it and if I could change the ATL weekend easily with no $$$ penalties so we could all go, I probably would.

how old are your kids?

The only reason I could possible see her being uncomfortable is if she is worried about being at sea while you are on a long drive with small children. But if that is her problem then maybe she should go on the cruise.

I think it's great that you are going.
I don't understand why she would be upset, I mean plans were made before the cruise and it wasn't an issue for her to go from you so why would it be an issue for you to go?

Ask her why she is upset maybe there is something else in her head.

I think that you should be able to go on your weekend trip with your kids. I wouldn't expect my DH to stay home while I was off having fun. There is nothing wrong with "me time" and there is nothing wrong with "Daddy and kids only time".

Good luck!

If I were you, I would be disappointed she is going on a cruise instead of a family trip, and I would certainly be going on the family trip. Why does everyone else have to stay home because she changed plans to do something else?

I would also ask her what her concerns are about you taking the kids on a trip while she is away. Maybe she has a real reason she doesn't want you to go, other than she won't be with you. If she is upset she is missing the ball game trip, then why did she change her plans to do something else?

If DH and I had a family weekend planned, I would most likely tell the friend that I couldn't do the cruise that weekend, could we do it another itme? And if not, I would ask DH if we could rearrange the family weekend. If it couldn't be rearranged then I would expect him to go, if he wants to!

She is wrong you are not.

Umm if you had not answered you were still going, would she have even known. I mean you were honest. Why should her weekend dictate yours?
And lastly they are your kids - does she normally get veto power over what you do with them?

Thanks for all of the replys. I probley should add something. My wife has not seen her BF since OCT when she moved to TX. That is why I have no problem with her going on the cruise. I guess that is the only time that BF could get off work because I did ask if she could move the date.

When I did ask why she was upset, she said that it is not fair to her to miss out on a family trip. I tried to explain to her that I have missed four trip to WDW bacause I could not get off work and I not once was upset. I understand that sometimes things don't work out and you need to adjust fire and move on.

Someone mentioned that it might be easier if I just chaged the dates which is what I am doing right after I submit this.

Thanks again everyone.

If she is worried about missing out on a family trip, she should not have chosen the cruise over it.

If she wants everything - and it sounds like she does - she needed to have discussed with you at the beginning "I want to go on this cruise but I still want to take a trip with the family. Can we reschedule the trip?" She didn't - her fault for not letting you know.

Thanks for all of the replys. I probley should add something. My wife has not seen her BF since OCT when she moved to TX. That is why I have no probley with her going on the cruise. I guess that is the only time that BF could get off work because I did ask if she could move the date.

When I did ask why she was upset, she said that it is not fair to her to miss out on a family trip. I tried to explain to her that I have missed four trip to WDW bacause I could not get off work and I not once was upset. I understand that sometimes things don't work out and you need to adjust fire and move on.

Someone mentioned that it might be easier if I just chaged the dates which is what I am doing right after I submit this.

Thanks again everyone.

You are an easy going guy. I hope your DW appreciates what you did. :)

I think your wife is wrong. It's Father's Day weekend and she is going to be away. It's a fun way for you and the kids to celebrate.
It's a great way to have fun with your kids!
:confused3 I agree-why cant YOU have fun while SHE's having fun on a cruise?

If she didn't want to miss out, she should not have said yes to the cruise!
I think it's great that you are going.
I don't understand why she would be upset, I mean plans were made before the cruise and it wasn't an issue for her to go from you so why would it be an issue for you to go?
Again, you planned this weekend before the cruise so she should have asked the friend to go on a cruise a different weekend.

If I were you, I would be disappointed she is going on a cruise instead of a family trip, and I would certainly be going on the family trip. Why does everyone else have to stay home because she changed plans to do something else?

If DH and I had a family weekend planned, I would most likely tell the friend that I couldn't do the cruise that weekend, could we do it another itme?

DITTO!

Your wife is in the wrong on this one.
:thumbsup2
No way would I expect my DH or kids to stay home. :confused3
:thumbsup2
She is wrong you are not.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
If she is worried about missing out on a family trip, she should not have chosen the cruise over it.

If she wants everything - and it sounds like she does - she needed to have discussed with you at the beginning "I want to go on this cruise but I still want to take a trip with the family. Can we reschedule the trip?" She didn't - her fault for not letting you know.

Your wife is wrong, not you. Why should you have to cancel your trip b/c she decided to go on a cruise with a friend? I'm sure you and your kids were excited about going away. Why should you guys cancel and sit home while she is on a cruise? If I were you, I'd take the kids as planned.

I think she is wrong. If I was going on a girls trip and my husband wanted to do something fun with the boys I would say go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter