I am worried about my film being ruined by the xray machines.

maci

<font color=CC0066>Can I go on vacation yet?<font
I think I just have to have something to worry about!

I am much more used to driving, and not having to worry about these things!!

I have stock piled film for our upcoming trip, but now I am worried about it being ruined at the airports, either going out or returning.

I read on the kodak website that MOST films are ok if they go through the xray machines on the carry on items, but not to check any film or cameras...but I am still worried.

When it is all said and done, pictures are the most important thing about a trip!!

Someone make me feel better please!

You can get envelopes to mail your film to be developed, and send them from WDW to avoid carrying them back with you.

X-Ray damage to film is cumulative. If you're flying direct, it'll probably only be x-rayed once, and the risk of damage is small. If you've got connections, the risk increases.

"Fast" films, like ISO 800 and up, are more sensitive to damage. Something like ISO 200 is pretty stable.

FYI- digital isn't affected by the x-rays at all. :D

The film is 400 speed, and we are flying direct. So I guess I will keep my fingers crossed.
I do have a digital too, but I always use both....I am a little OCD about pictures!;)
I did think about mailing them back too....hmmm?

You can also get a lead lined pouch at a camera supply store that is designed to protect the film. I would hand carry it or keep it in your carry on though becuase they are probably going to want to have you open it up. If it is in your checked luggage, it will probably ensure that they open your bag for a search.

As KathyTX said, digital isn't affected. I went digital over 6 years ago and haven't looked back! Next time you are thinking about getting a new camera, I would seriously consider switching.

Your 800 speed or less film will be ok. The 1600 and faster is not so safe. I travel a fair amount with equipment and usually put my film in my checked baggage. I keep my camera and lenses with me in my carry on stuff.
If you really want to carry your film with you in your carry on luggage you can request a hand check of your items. Just be prepared for a longer wait and they will check everything by hand.

If you are still worried you can, as suggested, get a film bag to protect your film. I think they usually run about $30 or so.

Meredith
Just 5 more days!!!

Just keep it in your carry on and you'll be fine. Putting it in checked luggage can harm it but the xray for checked is weaker and it will be fine.

I put my film in my carry on and ask to person to hand check it. They always get annoyed, but oh well. I'd rather by safe than sorry. They open up all of the film canisters and check them similar to the way a laptop is checked. I use 400 or 800 speed film.

It's an option if you are really worried.

Originally posted by dirkus
You can also get a lead lined pouch at a camera supply store that is designed to protect the film.
I've seen a caution on the Kodak site suggesting NOT to use the lead lined bags. When they go thru the xray machine, because the operator can't see thru them, they tend to back the belt back and forth to view the items over again and the bag might trigger you to be picked out for more intensive screening. Plus not all lead lined bags are effective against the xrays.
Here's a link to the Kodak page about airline travel with film. If it doesn't work, just go to kodak.com and look around.

If this works correctly, it should be a link to the Transportation Security Authority website page about film and cameras.
Direct links to their pages tend to not work, so if it doesn't, go to tsa.gov (the Transportation Security Authority website), click on the Travelers and Consumers link on the far left side at the top, then click on Travel Tips and then A Must Read for Travelers. In the middle of the page, they have a film and cameras link.
Here's specifically what they say about lead lined bags:
We recommend that you do not place your film in lead-lined bags since the lead bag will have to be hand-inspected. If you have concerns about the impact of the X-ray machine on your undeveloped film, you can request a hand inspection.

You may still consider bringing a lead-lined bag if you are traveling through airports in other countries as their policies may vary. Check with your airline or travel agent for more information on foreign airports.

I always have my camera/film with me in my carry-on bag. Now, what I have done in the past is.....I pack all my electronic stuff..camera/film, dd's Walkman, our cell phones, all in a large plastic baggie. Then, I pull it out of my tote bag, put it in the tray with my other stuff, and off it goes. I have never had to open it and the staff seem to be pretty happy with me.

Doing this I have never had a problem with my film. This trip I'm planning on sending it home via a mail order type place (York and Clarkes). That way it might even be at my house, waiting for me, when we get back!!

You really will be fine if you carry on, no need for anything extra if it's 400 film. In all my travels I've never had a problem with film.

The part about not checking film is true!! At MCO they even told us "take your film out of checked luggage" and carry on for those who didn't know.

When flying this past summer I put all my film canisters (minus the plastic container) in a gallon ziplock bag and handed to the inspector to be hand inspected and did not run into any problems.

Thanks everyone! I like the ziploc idea!! That is what I will do!!

Feeling much better!

I wasn't very clear when I wrote my reply about putting film in with your checked bags. I put any film that I pack in my checked stuff in one of those film bags.
The reply about the x-ray exposure being cumulative is correct. If you are just going through security two times your film should be ok.
meredith

I am glad we didin't have to worry about this in April. We have the Sony CD mavica camera where it takes cd's instead of film. But this trip in December, DW is giong to bring her camera that does take film. I think we might have to take the ziplock bags.

The Transportation Security Administration's page about film
does warn not to put undeveloped film in the checked baggage:
WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film.

Traveling with Film
Never place undeveloped film in your checked baggage.

Place film in your carry-on baggage* or request a hand inspection.
* Carry-on screening equipment might also damage certain film if the film passes through more than 5 times.

None of the screening equipment - neither the machines used for checked baggage nor those used for carry-on baggage - will affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, slides, videos, photo compact discs, or picture discs.
The last 4 times I have traveled (June 2003, July 2003, March 2004 and July 2004), the screeners were asking people if they had undeveloped film in the bags they were checking and if they did, having them take it out and put it in the carry on bag.

I always bring a few disposable cameras and waterproof cameras for the kids to use in addition to my digitals. On one trip I somehow packed them for the return trip in my check on suitcase - all the pictures came out very dark and ruined for the most part :( . So on last trip I put the cameras in a zip loc and carried them with me. At ACY I handed them separately to the security person and she went through quite a procedure to check them, putting on plastic gloves, pulling each camera out, scanning it, swabbing it and then marking it. So I did the same at MCO and the guard just barked "put it on the belt, it'll be fine", I (politely) pointed out that it was hi-speed film, he asked how high, I said 800 and he barked "put it on the belt, it'll be fine" (I know not to mess with these guys, I do not want to be searched if I can help it!) - I was very upset and worried that I would again loose my pictures but, long story short - they were fine!:smooth:

Wow bjakmom! That guy sounded like a jerk! I really hope we get someone nice enough to hand inspect our film!!

I can just seem me getting frisked b/c I wont put my film on the belt! ;)

If the flight attendant wants to take your carry on to be gate checked, stop right there and take out the film and cameras and medicine and other valuables and other items that the airline brochure says should not be in checked baggage.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

You can tell a lot about the health of a person by observing what he takes two at a time -- stairs, or pills. (B. Meltzer a talk show host, among others)

one other way to avoid the hassle is to buy your film at walmart when you get there,,,,,have it developed there,,,,thats what i intend to do,,,,,,,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter